FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NaNoWriMo

+12
osacredxo
Kalaam
Sunwolf007
M4Minion
Stion Gyas
Sighlent
Kaito
Digital Muse
Kalon Ordona II
Mattipus
Gadreille
Reffy
16 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

NaNoWriMo - Page 5 Empty Re: NaNoWriMo

Post by Sunwolf007 Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:08 pm

Not so much the RPs I am worried about but my school work. I guess if I make myself write everyday for 2 hours then I might be able to make the amount...
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:41 am

I've decided, I have 2 main obstacles to overcome if I'm going to manage this.
They are: my birthday, and Thanksgiving.

Therefore, I think my best course of action would be to aim for 16-20 days of higher output, rather than try to squeeze it in during special occasions. I'll just make sure to write at least 250-1,000 on off days, just to keep up efficiency.

Should be interesting. ^^

There, now I have my game plan. xD
Happy Pumpkin Day, everyone!
It's the deep breath before the plunge....
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:11 pm

1 more day...the pressure is going to be on soon! And I can't wait!
Ragter the junior greeter
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:13 pm

I suppose I should try for it. I do have an idea that stuck me recently and even though I am not done with the planning stages I could begin writing it. Just need character names and then I can being. Tomorrow... Holy crap what I have I gotten myself into. Laughing so who all is trying it this year?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:56 pm

Looks like you, Ragter, Raineyes, Kalon and I for sure. Silvone will be doing it as well. We should add each other as friends on the Nanowrimo website!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Reffy Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:51 pm

Good luck again this year folks! <3

Just a fly-by visit from good ole Reffumz. Doing NaNo again this year, hopefully. Life circumstances have changed dramatically but oh well. That's life!

Reffy
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://awritersrecluse.proboards.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:30 am

My username is the same on the novel writing site as it is here. I think it would be awesome if we set up a support group. I have already started my novel although I am only at 237 words currently. I will finish my daily count later. Now it is time to snooze...
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:16 am

I can't join in this year as school must take precedence. But Good Luck to everyone!
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:01 pm

I will be attempting this this year. The Darklord will now write his long awaited book. -cue evil laughing-

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:14 pm

Ryona, I totally agree with that!

My username is xrain_eyesx! Add me? Or tell me your name so we can keep up with and support each other on NaNo's site too!

And of course good luck to everyone. How's it going thus far for everyone? I haven't written anything yet (Monday = classes) but I'm about to commence on the NaNo journey.
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:39 pm

My username is just Ryona, but I will try to add you. My internet has been very slow, it does this every once in a while. I wrote 2002 words today. Hopefully I can keep up that pace!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:53 pm

That's awesome, Ryona. My internet has been fine, but NaNo's site has been slow itself. Possibly because it's day 1 and they're seeing a lot of traffic?
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:41 pm

Yeah I don't know. I am trying to add you guys right before Chuck started and it was taking forever! So far I have 2,223 words. I am hoping to be ahead of schedule so when school slows me down it wont make it impossible for me to make 50,000.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:59 pm

Is this going easier than people thought on the first day or is it just me? I ended up with a word count of 3,049 in just one day. I just couldn't put my laptop down and I haven't even introduced my next two characters yet! (For whatever reason I like squads of four and so far I have established two characters thus far in writing) Anyway if others want to post their user name I would love to get in contact with them and hopefully get a support group going. I know I am going to need help once we get deep into this contest. For me first days are easy, keeping constant work is the hard part.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:13 am

I could have written more but I must pace myself. My son needs my attention and he needs repetitiveness; so I am writing 2000 words a day which gives me five days off. He will get used to mommy being on the computer for a couple of hours and know that I will finish soon enough!

Edit: While the internet is in a good streak I must mention that all of my posts here are short and half assed because half of the time they don't make it through...so yea. Sorry about that!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:46 am

I didn't have time to write anything yet, really, but a handful of words and some additional outlining. But yeah, I would love a support group with fellow Foggers for NaNo.

Also, Ryona, I'm sure he'll get used to it, haha. Good job multi-tasking.

I'm going to try and write now before I fall completely behind. Great start, huh?
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Tue Nov 02, 2010 9:17 am

Better to have an outline. When I started at midnight I was still naming the last two characters I was going to use and have no real idea of what the characters are going to face besides the basic idea of running around getting pieces of Achilles' weapons and armor. So yeah I am just going to pull from all Greek mythology and throw whatever monster I can find at them while having to deal with the whole Greek Hero quest thing. I find it a rather refreshing change just writing and having little idea of how to get from a to z but know what the end will look like (sort of).
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:37 am

I am having a hard time thus far. I only got about 300 words written yesterday. Does anyone have some helpful advice?

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:00 pm

I managed to get 3,000+ words done last night. I'm kind of in a similar boat, Sunwolf. I have some outlining, but I feel as if I don't have a real plot. But it's okay. :]

Raptorman, try this Write This Many Words If... thread. You can find it here.. It gives you simple tasks, such as write 100 words if you think kittens are cute, write 150 words if you did NaNo last year, etc.
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Reffy Tue Nov 02, 2010 12:29 pm

Best advice I can give is "just keep swimming" ... oh wait Razz

Better advice! Do it in short bursts and take lots of breaks. Sitting down to write amazing amounts is a lot of fun and makes you feel like a hero but it is also brain killing and extremely tiring. Breaks help a lot! You get time to digest everything that just happened and ponder on how to go forwards. Its how I have been doing it. Obviously you need to get your daily requirement done but not all at once, usually Smile

Also, remember to keep eating! Good healthy diet, and snacks, and keep fluids up. Its no good trying to write on an empty belly or when dehydrated (which will only give you a headache anyway!)

Also-also, try the word wars. I swear I only managed it last year because I was war-ing with Alice! We'd set a time and then race and see who could come back with more words. Hella fun.

Also-also-also, get addicted to checking the word count and updating the website with the amount and then check your NaNo-stats page. I have found this highly rewarding. Seeing that little blue bar go up (even if its below the requirement) is a very nice thing to see. It means progress and awesomeness Razz

Keep going folks. It might suck now at only 300 words and you might not know where it is going just yet in terms of plot ... but when you get to 50k you will look back and feel sooooo proud and awesome and you will wonder why you felt so worried at only 300 Smile

Reffy
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:23 pm

Reffy, that is all awesome advice. As for the short bursts, the link I suggest could help in that. It gives you tasks with small word amounts (although sometimes they're quite a lot bigger, like 1000!) Most are between 50-300 words, which is not too much to write at one time.

How do you get in a word war?

Update: Still 3000+ counted words, but I hand wrote three pages front and back with no spaces (except paragraphs, duh), so... I don't know how many more words that is, but it's a nice bit!
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:33 pm

For some reason when I added an exerpt it erased my word count and I had to reset it...that was kind of annoying. Also the picture I have up seems to change its mind on when it wants to display or not. Anyway, I put up the opening of my novel, it doesn't yet have a name (and neither does my character, still!) but you guys can read it if you want to.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:36 pm

I'd love to read if you want some support, Ryona.

I think that the site is having some problems with so many users being on all the time now that NaNo has actually started. It's very slow for me. My stats change their mind all the time even though my word count hasn't changed since last night, etc.

And I don't have a name for mine either (or a definite plot - yikes!) but I do have names thus far.

What genre is your NaNo, Ryona?
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:54 pm

I put literary fiction, for now, but I am not really sure. I have a feeling it is going to surprise me Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:44 pm

I now have 1,016 words. Smile

Progress is being made. I haven't gotten to introducing my main character yet though. The prelude about the Eight minions of darkness is proving longer than expected

Back to top Go down

Post by Reffy Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:50 pm

I've been doing personal word wars with a friend Smile You set a time amount (say 5 minutes) and come back to compare how many words both of you wrote (I got 430 words in 10 minutes earlier - but that was because I had to pause and reread the last paragraph). Its a really fun game that encourages the burst thing - so long as you don't make it too competitive and congratulate each other.

People on the NaNo forums do the races too but its a bit different and they are all really fast!

Mine is Gothic Fiction and totally not suitable to post or link to this site. I checked the rules - again. I probably could provide a private link via PM if anybody is interested in snippets (I've posted two reasonable snippets since I started but the original stories are also there and are not suitable for under 18s). I don't want to upset the happy-balance in here Smile

Reached 6k today Smile Feels pretty good - even if one of my characters has completely changed and changed the first half of the planned story! I think the change is a good one anyway.

Reffy
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Got to a little over 5,000 words yesterday...haven't started today yet since I just arrived at my house. I haven't yet tried to get onto the Nano site though since it wasn't working yesterday...

EDIT: Here be my profile!
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:45 pm

Oh, yes, profiles. Mine is here.

Ryona Noel wrote:I put literary fiction, for now, but I am not really sure. I have a feeling it is going to surprise me Smile

Ah. Yeah, I'm dealing with horror/supernatural currently, which I think it will continue to be, but my plot is shrouded in mystery right now, haha.

Once again, my words for today are on paper right now, so I'm not sure how many words I have yet. I'm in the process of typing them. I know. It sounds like twice as much work, but I didn't have access to my laptop and my muse was going. Who am I to deny her?

Reffy, that sounds very interesting... I would like to read any/all FOG NaNos just to be supportive.
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:53 pm

I've written 4,079 and am quitting for today. Would love to read your stuff, Reffy! I would link my profile but it seems that Nanowrimo website does not want to work at the moment...

Edit:My Profile (hope it works!)
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:59 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content