FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Monstrous World We Hold -OOC-

+6
Skitzo-phrenick
Silvan Arrow
Dio the Awesome
Bird of Hermes
Kyrt Malthorn
YenWen
10 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

A Monstrous World We Hold -OOC- Empty A Monstrous World We Hold -OOC-

Post by YenWen Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:54 pm

Not a day goes by that I don't wonder if this could have been avoided. Maybe it was impossible, but I still wonder. There isn't a night I don't hear sirens. There isn't a day I don't see smoke. I still like to believe it's not there, but you have to, to avoid it one day, whenever it comes. Despite all this, despite all the pain and destruction I've seen them cause, our world still revolves around them.

Before the Pokeballs came out we just called them things, monsters, magical beings in some cases. Now they're Pokemon, or pocket monster, though I can't entirely see why anyone would want to keep them. We use them for our power, for our food, for a number of things, but I can't help but think they do more harm than good. I know I'm not the only one, but, hey, maybe we're wrong. Without them, maybe we'd all die. Circle of life, right? You take a piece away and it just stops right there. No more circle, just a curvy line.

The entire world is focusing on them now. Some people want to be them, which is sickening to a point. Some people want them as pets, toys even. Parents can be retarded, so it doesn't surprise me they get what they want. Everyone gets what they want from these things. They're not just animals, they're tools. After the pokeball was developed, science took a turn for the worst and the red light district has never been more disgusting.

You can hear teenagers in stores, talking about the day they'll get to go to the district, or the PokeWalk, as they so fondly name it, to get a piece of Flopunny ass. "There's nothing hotter than them trying to beg for mercy when they can't even talk!" All you can do is plug your ears and keep walking, hoping the next turn isn't into a face full of ice, fire, or razors.

The Pokemon world is a dangerous one. Pokemon are much more dangerous than we've been led to believe. They control so much that we have to spend countless hours building a machine that can only control a fraction in comparison. Power from electric pokemon especially is something we depend on.

Yet, people have learned to live with it. Trainers buy domesticated pokemon and use them in battles for badges. It's a sport, and a popular one. Breeders cross-breed specific types, making perfect pets and battling Pokemon. Ranchers, technicians, housewives, ect., all have become dependent on them.

Who are you in this world? Who can you be in this world? What else is there but to be apart of it?

It's a difficult task to live in a world where there is always the threat of a Pokemon blowing up your house, just because the house is in it's way, but when they are what your world has surrounded themselves with, what else can you do?

Whether or not you live in fear, you have the choice: accept it or die from it.

Spoiler:

YenWen's profile(s):
Spoiler:

Dio the Awesome's profile(s):
Spoiler:

Kyrt Malthorn's profile(s):
Spoiler:

SilvanArrow's profile(s):
Spoiler:

Harper's profile(s):
Spoiler:

Skitzo-phrenik's profile(s):
Spoiler:

Last edited by YenWen on Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:59 am; edited 7 times in total

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

A Monstrous World We Hold -OOC- Empty Re: A Monstrous World We Hold -OOC-

Post by Kyrt Malthorn Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:13 am

I love the title.

I'll have to do some thinking before I get a character sheet ready.
Kyrt Malthorn
Kyrt Malthorn
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:16 am

Thank you :3 I'm also taking my time with my sheet.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Jan 20, 2011 2:00 am

Now I just need to think up a character.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Thu Jan 20, 2011 4:20 am

Posting to find the thread again. Also, I really like the dark turn this is taking. For some reason I can't get the idea out of my head that my character is some sort of a gang leader or arms deal who buys and sells strong pokemon off of the black market.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:30 am

I need some time to wrap my head around this RP world and brainstorm a character. Hopefully I can come up with something after class today, but I don't want to rush anything.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:46 pm

What's your name?: Madeline Fitzgerald

Mhm, and you're how old?: 16

Damn. What do you look like then?: Madeline is about 5’4”, with a brown hair, cut into a bob just below her ears. She’s a pasty pale with some light freckles on her cheeks. Her eyes are light hazel brown that darken closer to the pupil. Her teeth gapped and bucked in the front, enough to only show when she smiles. She has a round face, looking similar to her mother.
She’s a bit lanky and knobby-kneed, and near the opposite of athletic. She’s particularly frail, due to keeping herself as a hermit. However, she does have sort of appreciation for her appearance, when she does go out, she’ll sometime over-do her make-up. Because she doesn’t have any sort of fondness for her own personal attributes, she has the tendency to wear fake nails, fake nails, and even the occasional hair extension.

Well isn't that nice. What's your life like?:
Madeline is the daughter of Gregory Fitzgerald, son of Thollomond Fitzgerald, one of the first to design a system that could use a pokemon’s energy without killing it. Her father had grown up rich his entire life and enveloped himself in all the best in life. He married Megan Mannis, an heiress on her own, who added more to their vast fortune.
Thus, Madeline also grew up in the rich life, spoiled by her parents and envied by other children as she aged. However, she had fears, as every child does. In particular, hers were of pokemon. One night, her mother brought home a new servant, a Mr. Mime she called it. The creature was strange in itself, and eerily human.
The Mr. Mime did it’s work, and fairly well compared to the other servants. One day, however, he was sent to work in the garden, as the last one had been removed for not doing his job properly, you see. Mr. Mime had done all his other jobs well, and a new task would be nothing for him. Madeline typically like to have friends over, children of her parents friends most often, except for today, no, this friend was her special first friend.
Madeline took her outside, to play in the woods in the back, show her the Rapidash in the stable, and the Farfetch’d and Swanna in the pond.
“You’ll love it!” she said. “I mean, my daddy only gets the best.”
Now, her friend wasn’t the richest child. Upper-middle class is a maybe, but there were still many things she wanted. One of them was for her ‘friend’ to stop bragging.
“It’s not that fantastic…” Madeline hadn’t ever heard her friend be so venomous. “Well, it’s better than anything you have!” she shot back. The two start bickering, hair-pulling, and all around fighting.
Mr. Mime was a good servant, loyal to his masters, and he did what the most loyal of pokemon would do; save his master. This was the first time for Madeline to ever see a Pokemon battle, and it ended with the severe injury of her friend, bashed into the ground like a ragdoll. The rapidash whinnied like they were happy to see it. The farfetch’d and swanna flew away.
Mr. Mime was taken away that day and she was happy to see him go. She could never trust a Pokemon after what they had done.
When she was 13, her father gave her a special gift that was sure to turn her playmates a nice green hue: an Eevee. Some time had passed since the incident with Mr. Mime, but she could still see that look in the Eevee’s eyes, the look of death, the look of hatred and disgust. Yet, out of her father’s insistence, and pride for herself, she kept it, fed it, ‘played’ with it. It loved her like a child would a mother, but she still chose to resent it. To her, it would always be an evil thing.
They spent some of their days outside when Madeline had a day from tutoring and the weather wasn’t frightful.
One day Eevee wanted to play seemingly more than normal. She’d bat at her mistress’s knees, run a bit then come back, the last time, however, she ran into the forest. Madeline was tempted to let her go, let her get lost and never come back, but her father would never forgive her, so she went after it. The Eevee wasn’t too far ahead and wasn’t running fast; she truly did want to play. They came to a clearing, a small pond, and an opening of tree limbs to see the sky. The Eevee let out a small bark, jumping a bit. Her paw hit a very odd-seeming stone and her body jerked forward. Cracks and snaps echoed between the trees as her fur fell to the ground in piles. Her spine seemed to lengthen and her tail straightened out as her skin changed from a pink to a solid blue. Fins sprout against her neck, blood dripping from where they had forced themselves out of the skin. And she fell.
Madeline cried, she did, and carried her back to mansion. She pitied the thing and didn’t want to be blamed for its death. It was at that point her father signed her up for the Pokemon league, in his own effort to get her to appreciate what they can do and how much of her life needs them to survive.

K. Do you have any Pokemon of your own? Which ones?:
Madeline bought all of her pokemon. She owns a Vaporeon, a Pachirisu, a Vulpix, a Glameow, a Swellow, and a Baltoy.

Awesome. Anything else we should know?: Despite being in the pokemon league and having pokemon of her own, Madeline still has a resentment and fear towards them and tries to only come in contact with them when she has to. She can stand her Vaporeon longer than any other pokemon in comparison.

I'll of course add these to the OOC intro >>

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:14 pm

Prof. Oak: But First tell me a little about yourself. Now tell me. Are you a boy? Or are you a girl?

Boy

Prof. Oak: Lets begin with your name. What is it?

James

Prof. Oak: Right... so your name is James. How old are you?

Prof. Oak: And what was your life like James?

I was raised as a single child by a single parent. My father was a very powerful man, and so while I was growing up I wanted for nothing. While he never spoke, he was able to teach me the value of a strong hand and power. When I was young I was given my first pokemon, a Magikarp. All it would do was float upside down in the fountain behind our house. I became frustrated with its uselessness, because the pokemon my father owned were all very strong. When I complained to my father, he slapped me, knocking me to the ground.

He showed me that cruelty was power, and he showed me how to beat my Magikarp, bringing it to the edge of death. The Magikarp began to fear me, and would shrink to the edge of the fountain whenever I grew near. I relentlessly punished the Magikarp all summer as my father taught me. And just as he said, my cruelty bore fruit.

In its anger, the Magikarp began to change. It expanded, shedding its weak shell. It burst out of the fountain and across the lawn. It was a massive beast. Yet it still shrank away from me, sliding across the lawn and curling against the stone fence. I now control this creature. It feared me, and its power was mine.

I feared my father, as the Gyarados feared me. But as I got older, he began to teach me more than pain and control. He taught me about finances. Without warning he threw me out of the house. Left with nothing but the clothes on my back, and a single pokeball on my belt I was left to fend for myself. I was thirteen.

Life on the street did not prove lucrative. I tried to beg for food with little success. I resisted the urge to steal from a street vendor, for I was convinced he was worse off than I was, and my father would let me come home that night. He did not.

The first night I went hungry, and slept in a sewer drain. I was glad it did not rain, but in the morning I ached all over and the pain in my gut was terrible. In desperation, I stole from the street vendor I saw yesterday. The stolen goods filled my stomach, but it would not last long. I needed a more permanent solution.

I found an abandoned warehouse I was able to sleep in. For a week I lived on the streets, stealing to survive. It was then that my father found me, sleeping in my dirty warehouse, and brought me home.

I was concerned that my stable, comfortable life would once again vanish. I began to horde money. Either stolen handfuls from my father, or people I could extort on the street. I had amassed a fair sum of money which I hid in the floor boards. One day my father walked into my room as I was depositing money in my hiding spot. He said nothing, as he usually did. But he seemed pleased.

I was nineteen now, and a terror on the streets. I had a reputation with Officer Jenny as a trouble maker, and was routinely hauled off to prison. My father was always able to get me released. It was during this time that my father drug me aside. He spoke to me. I strained my ears to hear every breath, as he spoke the only words I have ever heard him say. ``Son, let me show you real power.``

He took me into the basement and lead me to a door. The steel door at the back had always been under lock and key. I remembered being able to hear growls and strange noises on the other side when I was younger, and they were still being made now. He pulled out a key carved in the shape of a dragon pokemon of legend. There was a click as the door was unlocked. The click silenced the noise on the other side of the door.

He pushed me inside. It was a sight to behold. Pokemon of all shapes and sizes; they were all in cages. They all looked to my father, as if he were the God of the world, and they trembled.

This was my first glimpse of my fathers empire.

Prof. Oak: That`s... extremely disturbing. DO you own any of your own Pokemon?

I own a gyarados, as well as a growlithe I had caught. My father gave me a nidorino for my eighteenth birthday.

Prof. Oak: Anything else you want to tell us?

My father is a part of a pokemon smuggling ring. I have been exposed to his business and wish to be a part of it to use and exploit pokemon for personal gain.

Prof. Oak: James, your very own POKEMON legend is about to unfold! A world of dreams and adventures await! Now lets go!

Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrt Malthorn Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:27 pm

I'm curious as to the technology levels: would there be computers? I wonder whether Porygon would exist at all. With the technology of the pokeball and enough raw energy, could one actually convert a properly programmed "digital pokemon" into a living (sort of?) pokemon?

Being a bit of a programmer myself I realize that would be an insanely complex program. No wonder it has such a poorly animated body, after the first few billion lines of code its developer wouldn't have much hard drive space left for graphics.

That's just curiosity, though, with no bearing on my own character. More relevantly, what kind of area are we going to be in? Small town, big town, city, metropolis?
Kyrt Malthorn
Kyrt Malthorn
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:51 pm

Dio: Accepted :3 I like it and the fact the Gyarados has a bit of Stockholm Syndrome.

Kyrt: Computers would exist, as would the internet and such. I'd believe there'd be work for a virtual pokemon, but as you mentioned, it would be incredibly complex and difficult to manage without it being only half there at times.

As for the area, I figured the towns and cities from the whole series would be used, or perhaps we just use Johto, or Johto and Kanto, or a variation. Possibly even the new area for Black and White since it's much more modernized than any of the previous areas.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrt Malthorn Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Well perhaps I should "confess" I really haven't actively followed the pokemon regime for, like a decade? Think there were like 100 or something and now there's like five times more. I really haven't the foggiest idea what the regions were like anymore. And I never even had access to the games, only the anime when it was on TV and a handful of the cards (didn't even know anybody to play with).
Kyrt Malthorn
Kyrt Malthorn
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:21 pm

Kyrt, this is your new best friend:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Main_Page
If it's Pokemon related, it's in there.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:25 pm

I love that site.

And I myself am only really familiar with blue and red and the original 151. I have played the others up until like diamond and pearl, but I know the pokemon a lot less.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:40 am

I love that site too. I am still trying to think up a character concept.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrt Malthorn Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:00 am

That's actually the site I ended up looking things up on. Thanks anyway, heh.
Kyrt Malthorn
Kyrt Malthorn
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:22 am

Well, look through the best you can, engorge yourselves and tell me which you'd prefer :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrt Malthorn Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:43 am

I've looked into both the regions you mentioned and, honestly, I wouldn't mind either way. So long as get some kind of idea what the specific town or city we're in is like.

Should have a character by tomorrow, though, I've narrowed my ideas down to two basics. Though I'm working under an assumption I should probably check - that a psychic pokemon wouldn't have any trouble telepathically understanding or communicating with humans. If there's a problem with that do let me know...

And no, it's not a mewtwo or anything. I set my sights no higher than an Abra, for now.
Kyrt Malthorn
Kyrt Malthorn
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:38 am

I plan on drafting a character sheet today after my prep meeting for teaching. Right now I'm thinking some kind of Pokemon researcher, maybe a behaviorist/psychologist or one who studies methods of Pokemon evolution.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Skitzo-phrenick Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Hey. I`m still here. Have and idea for a Pokemon enthusiast/worshiper that seems like she`ll be pretty fun. I think she`ll be like the Pokemon version of the Amish and I`m gonna isolate her from city life entirly. Just want to run the idea by you Yen before I run with it. I`ll get the character sheet up later today as soon as I get back from work (which I`m at right now >.>)

Had some problems with my internet, computer, and work and stuff so I couldn`t actually read the thread till a minute ago and hopefully when I get home tonight I`ll have the computer issue fixed. Till then writing on paper like always.
Skitzo-phrenick
Skitzo-phrenick
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://renetr3.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm getting more and more fixated with using the Black and White region now, which will be able to suit everyone's needs, I think.

When we have a majority of the profiles up, we'll get started :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrt Malthorn Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:30 pm

Here's my profile; again, if you have a problem with the intelligent abra, Yen, let me know:

What's your name?

Darryl Clayton Theodore. Most people call me Darryl. My friends call me Clay.

Mhm, and you're how old?

Seventeen.

Damn. What do you look like then?

A 175 lb. nerd with glasses. The big, round kind. Looks ridiculous, especially on a blond kid. You'd think my parents could afford something more stylish. But no, they spend it all on my clothes. Everything they buy me looks like a freakin' uniform, and its all so wide at the shoulders. All the clothes I like they complain are too small for me, but what do I care?

Well isn't that nice. What's your life like?

Sit at home a lot. I have a job, kind of, if you can call working from home a job. I even get paid as a contractor. My dad works at the local power plant and makes quite a bit - hazard pay, and all, the kind of pokemon they work with. I do some computer work for them, kinda learn as I go you know? My dad built their databases and taught me how to maintain them, but then it all fell on me. You know how it is, they brought in a new batch of pokemon. He gripes about this temperamental jolteon ALL the time.

Oh, I have an older brother, and the only reason he stopped teasing me was to chase girls. Anyway, I don't get out much. My mom's got all kinds of money though, her grandparents or something were trainers. She keeps trying to get me out of the house, says I need more friends.

K. Do you have any Pokemon of your own? Which ones?

Dad got us an electrike as a family guard pokemon. Thing wouldn't hurt a fly though. Well, I take that back, flies fry when the fly into its fur. Oh and my mom bought me an abra, she wishes I'd get interested so I'd become a trainer. Bought a pokeball and everything. I never used it. When the abra isn't sleeping or appearing in random places around the house, she (yeah its a female) likes to talk either gibberish or philosophy. Well if you call its telepathy "talking". She's some kind of savant with numbers, too bad I don't use more of them.

Awesome. Anything else we should know?

Uhh... No. Can I get back to my chores? I need to brush Perk. Yeah, that's what I named the electrike. That's the best I could do as a ten-year-old.
Kyrt Malthorn
Kyrt Malthorn
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:33 pm

I just have a quick question, YenWen. Since you're leaning toward using the Black and White region, are we allowed to use Pokemon from 5th gen? I wasn't sure since 5th gen hasn't been released yet in English.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:05 pm

Kyrt: I think the Abra using telepathy is fine, as long as it's limited. It is it's first form and hasn't aged into it's more developed forms yet, so I'd say it's brain hasn't aged all the way yet. Other than that, I think it's fine. Is there a chance he and his father work at Madeline's fathers company?

Silvan: Of course :3 I've already started with the Swanna. Some of them do have their english names now and Bulbapedia is getting more and more information every day. I don't mind if you use the Japanese names for now. We'll figure it out :3

(By the way, the next game comes out March 4th in Europe and March 6th in North America >>)

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kyrt Malthorn Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:13 pm

That's quite possible now that I think about it, Yen - if you want we can play it that way.

And about the abra, that's true its mind isn't fully developed and communication would be somewhat limited. I wanted to throw the potential of pokemon sentience into play with the morality issues soon to be floating around, and to explore the way at least one pokemon thinks. My intention would be to make it distinctly unlike a human's thought processes.
Kyrt Malthorn
Kyrt Malthorn
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:15 pm

I think it'd be good to play up some sort of tie in, so it's not completely all over the place.

As for the Abra, I like the idea. I say go with it and if it gets out of hand or just doesn't fit right, I'll let you know.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:18 pm

And now I feel bad for not noticing (blame the sickness that makes me weary)

Hermes: You're fine, take you're time :3 Even if there is any sort of lateness, it won't be impossible to join in.

Skitzo: I like it, but maybe bear a little away from entirely Amish. It'd limit a good amount of interaction with a good number of other characters since we're based in the technology field. I do like the idea of a worshiper, though. This world is full of 'em and I wouldn't expect any less from this one.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:37 pm

Here's my character sheet. Please feel free to suggest any changes or corrections.

What’s your name?

Maikka Daintree

Mhm, and you’re how old?

What do you look like then?

Maikka stands at 5’8” with a slender, athletic build from years of doing field research and “roughing it” in the great outdoors for days at a time. Her wavy brown hair reaches down just past her shoulders, and her eyes are a deep hazel. Her complexion is moderately tanned with a few freckles adorning her rounded cheeks.

In terms of attire, Maikka gravitates toward loose-fitting, practical clothes during her field studies, such as brown cargo pants, rugged hiking boots, and long-sleeved shirts made of a breathable fabric during the summer and thick sweaters in the winter. When meeting with research peers or attending conferences, however, she’ll dress professionally in business attire.

Well isn’t that nice. What’s your life like?

Maikka is a well-respected Pokemon researcher who specializes in Pokemon behavior and psychology. She works for a private company that seeks to promote responsible management and conservation of wild Pokemon populations, and Maikka’s research has helped policy makers in the past who want to reassure the public that not all Pokemon are ruthless monsters out to get the humans. She conducts most of her research in the field, traveling across the Unova region and studying wild Pokemon populations, and she also collaborates with other researchers to conduct behavioral experiments on populations in special reserves and even a few studies on Pokemon owned by trainers.

She grew up as an only child to a stay-at-home mother and father who researched Pokemon evolution. His lucrative research grants afforded them a very comfortable lifestyle, and that combined with her natural aptitude for biology allowed her to go to a prestigious college in Huin City. After graduating at 21, she went straight into a Ph.D program and finished her degree five years later. She went to work for the company that funded her dissertation research and has been there now for three years. She is a hard-working researcher with a solid reputation for being honest and reliable, though she tends to get too engrossed with her work at times, much to the chagrin of her colleagues. She tends to be a bit scatterbrained in everyday matters that don't involve her research, and her friends joke that she needs to get a life outside of the field or lab.

As a scientist, Maikka prefers to remain neutral and objective in ethical and political debates related to supposed genetic experiments conducted on humans and Pokemon. However, she also has a strong moral code and so detests the cruelty that goes in the red light districts and crimes related to Pokemon smuggling and exploitation.

K. Do you have any Pokemon of your own? Which ones?

Though not a trainer specifically, Maikka does have several Pokemon that assist in her field research and are primarily companions. Pokemon researchers, especially Ph.D’s, as a rule tend to make a good living, and Maikka’s company in particular is well-funded by wealthy private investors. She occasionally battles in sanctioned tournaments as a hobby and to keep her Pokemon in good physical shape for the rigors of her fieldwork, but it’s not her primary focus.

Maikka met her first Pokemon, a male Blaziken that she named Ifrit, when she attended her first research conference in Raimon City as a Ph.D student. She was walking back to the hotel at night from the conference hall with a couple of colleagues from her advisor’s lab, and the quickest route took them near the city’s red light district. A pained cry of something not human caught her attention, and she peered down a dark, deserted alley to find a badly injured Combusken lying in a pile of trash near a dumpster. She guessed that he was yet another victim of mistreatment at Pokewalk that had been discarded for whatever reason. She couldn’t bear to leave him there to die, so she took him back to the hotel, registered with the Pokemon League to make her possession of him legal, and nursed him back to health in the months following the conference. It took just as long for the poor creature to trust her not to hurt him, but eventually he came to regard her with adoration. His strength eventually returned and he grew into a fully mature Blaziken. He is fiercely protective of Maikka now and stays at her side wherever she goes, acting almost like a bodyguard when work forces her to travel to the big cities. Sure, she has a Pokeball for him, but she hardly ever recalls him unless absolutely necessary. She feels much safer walking the often-rough city streets with him out in plain view.

Maikka has three other Pokemon, also male: a Manectric named Volt, a Mebukijika named Yakul, and a Washibon named Aquila. She purchased Volt as an Electrike from a breeder soon after getting her Ph.D, and she often uses him in the field to power a mini-generator when she needs to bring electrical equipment into the field. He often spends the days dozing beside her desk almost like a lapdog and sleeps beside her bed at night. She caught Yakul as a Shikijika during a field excursion to a Pokemon reserve. She received permission from the park officials to catch him as part of her funding grant. After he grew and matured into a Mebukijika, Maikka started using him as a mount over rugged, mountainous terrain. Having been born in the wild instead of a captive breeder, he is a steady, sure-footed mount built for endurance rather than quick bursts of speed. Finally, she recently caught Aquila as a young Washibon who had just left his nest. He has grown significantly in the months since she caught him, and she uses him to conduct aerial searches, such as when she’s looking for a particular species or herd of Pokemon at her field sites.

Despite her claims to be a completely objective, neutral scientist, Maikka has a firm set of moral beliefs and wishes she were in more of a position to use to her research to stop the crimes and cruelties involving Pokemon. She sees the Pokemon League more as a necessary evil and only participates in battles to keep her Pokemon in fighting shape, both for their own protection and hers. She absolutely abhors the idea of genetically altering or selectively breeding Pokemon that people keep as pets or toys; she much prefers to study them in a natural, undisturbed state in the wild.

Last edited by SilvanArrow on Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:01 pm

Accepted, Silvan :3 Very nice.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:01 pm

What's your name?

Roman somethin’ somethin’ or another

Mhm, and you're how old?

In my thirties I suppose, forgot my birthday a long time ago

What do you look like then?

The face only your mother loves. I’m rugged, dirty brown hair and brown eyes, a trashy beard. Lacerating the side of my gut and spiraling up my chest, around the collar bone, and into the side of my face is a long, nasty burn scar, the kind right out of comic book villaindom.

My clothes are trash, I wash them only once or twice in the summer, if I get a change it’s most likely something I stole from some stupid kid on the road.

Well isn't that nice. What's your life like?

Mostly on the road, I’m an “adventurer” or “explorer” because “hoboe” doesn’t quite cut it for me. I got my twisted scar when my home exploded, gas line just leaked and boom. Dead parents, then one foster home after another, I ran away at the age of fifteen and hoofed everywhere since. I skim by a livin’ with Amp. I carry everything in a ragged pack, thirty pounds on my back and canteen bouncing off my hip. I avoid towns, I hate’em.

Okay, so maybe I should say some more, fine. My mother and father were genealogist, which all I know is they did something with bodies. When that explosion went off they got buried in the basement, the fire didn’t touch them, they just suffocated, imagine that, eh? I was five, the police officer had to explain what “suffocated” meant for me.

Do you have any Pokemon of your own? Which ones?

Amp travels with me, I found him when he was a flaffy, a couple years after I ran away. He was half dead and had a bunch of burn scars of his own. We related to each other and have an… understandin’ that we keep each other alive (what do they call it, symbio-somethin’?). We don’t touch each other, we just live off one another. I don’t have any kind of ball to keep him in, and since cops call him a class IV pokemon I avoid rangers and police, they’d take him away, being as natural a danger he is.

I never finished school and I have no money.

Oh, and I’m a fugitive, not for any kind of actual murder or nothing, just manslaughter. See, the problem with electrics is that they have to discharge all the static they might build up, or they can start sticking stuff, or shock anyone who gets too close. Well, back when before I knew that Amp was class IV pokemon (like most high-powered electrics) I took him into Castelia City because I was worried he would wonder off while I was in there. We got caught by police and a chase ensued, these guys got serious fast. They surrounded us underneath a mono-rail, the concrete pillars right next to us, and I could hear a train coming. They gave us one warning, then a warning shot. We freaked, I leapt behind one of those pillars and Amp discharged enough static to mess with a train car passin’ overhead. Something happened, I don’t know what, all I remember is the sound of an explosion, squealing metal, and when I looked up I saw a silver behemoth cartwheel into the air, head over caboose. And you know what? It crashed into a candy store.

Yeah, right?

I remember the name, too. Hardey’s Sweets and Snacks, I saw a little girl through the glass windows disappear in a cloud of rubble and smoke. Amp straight-up killed those cops, I grabbed the stupid sheep by the arm and ran like all hell. We escaped in the confusion, and at a hotel on the road sixty miles down, I found an old newspaper and the main page screamed “ROGUE AMPHAROS AND MAN KILL FIFTY-FOUR IN CASTELIA” it continued with our description and a list of the victim's names and ages. I didn’t read any of them, because I knew somethings you just don’t forget. I wouldn’t forget those cops’ faces or the pink hem of that girl’s dress, I didn’t need to know the other fifty.

Out of all the dates I could know, that's maybe one of the three I can remember. It’s been almost a decade since that mishap, I’ve spent most that time away from Castelia.

--------------------------------------

There we go, let me know if there are any problems with any of it...

Edit: I was told to add to the history, so I took a look at what I had and drew ideas from it. Despite all our talk of splicing, his parents weren't a part of any of it, and the explosion is and will forever be a mishap. Let me know if the mono-rail thing is too much, I just wanted to throw in an example of why society holds their fears of pokemon and stuffz.

Last edited by Harper on Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Harper
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Skitzo-phrenick Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:26 pm

Alright. I wrote my character sheet out, and it came out really unconventional but amusing and informative. Got two more hours before I can head home and put it online though, so you`ll have to wait a bit.

Don`t worry Yen. I didn`t make her too Amish, but if anything I did bothers you I`m open for comments.

Really want to be home at my computer right now. *pouts*
Skitzo-phrenick
Skitzo-phrenick
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://renetr3.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down