FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

5 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting) - Page 4 Empty Re: Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

Post by Lumeus Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:59 pm

The houses could be named after the four witches and wizards that were the most influential in bringing a wizarding school to the States.

Another thing that just came to me, and we may never find a need for it in the Rp, but Ravenscar needs an awesome means of transportation for when visiting other schools.

Like by comet. A giant falling inferno that dissipates just before hitting the ground to reveal the Headmaster and a group of teachers and students rather than leaving a massive crater in the earth.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting) - Page 4 Empty Re: Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

Post by Lumeus Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:01 pm

I wonder where Yen Wen.......t...

That's how that sounded in my head as I was typing it out...
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:32 pm

I wonder, too. I haven't heard anything from her. =(

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:14 pm

I'm so sorry, all. It's been a rough couple of weeks. Animal issues, school issues, work issues, all sorts of issues. If you all are still prepared to go through with this, I am as well.

For the house founders, the way I used them was that they weren't really founders of the school, but some of the most influential wizards and witches of the U.S., much similar to how schools are named after presidents.

Also we're changing the Kari house mascot to hawks instead of eagles, meaning we're also changing the name. Otherwise, it's still the same house. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:11 pm

While I am really happy that you're still wanting to do this role play, I'm sorry life has taken a tougher edge on you. Real life comes first, I was just worried we wouldn't be seeing you again. =(

I'm still in it!

Ah, I see. That makes sense, and I'm totally cool with it.

I think we've just about gotten the name figured.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:47 am

I am still in as well.

And I will amend my character profile once you have updated the house name.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:05 pm

It's settled, then. The new house founder name is...... *drum roll*
Aandaleeb Anil! Meaning the new house is the Anil house. The new mascot is a hawk, as well.

Edit: Also, I will message you your class schedule. You are not required to put into your profile, but you can if that makes it easier for you. Expect that sometime late this evening (Central time), considering I have work this evening and class this afternoon.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:31 pm

I am going to use my character's, Abigail, as an example for how the schedule works. Here are her desired classes:
Herbology
Potions
Defense Against the Dark Arts
Transfiguration
History of Magic
Charms
Astronomy
Philosophy of Magic
Arithmancy
Care of Magical Creatures

As you can see, she has all the 6 basic classes, Herbology, DADA, Potions, History, Transfiguration, and Charms, she also surpasses the 2 minimum of extracurricular classes. Very good, Abigail! You're quite the overachiever, aren't you?

Abby: I do believe so, ma'am, yes.

Anywho, let's take a look at her schedule.
8 AM: Breakfast and Mail
9 AM (Mon, Wed, Fri): Free
9 AM (Tues, Thurs): Herbology
10 AM (Mon, Wed, Fri): Free
10 AM (Tues, Thurs): Astronomy
11 AM (Mon, Wed, Fri): Care of Magical Creatures
11 AM (Tues, Thurs): Free
12 PM: Lunch
1 PM (Mon, Wed, Fri): Potions
1 PM (Tues, Thurs): Defense Against the Dark Arts
2 PM (Mon, Wed, Fri): History of Magic
2 PM (Tues, Thurs): Free
3 PM (Mon, Wed, Fri): Transfiguration
3 PM (Tues, Thurs): Arithmancy, Philosophy of Magic
4 PM (Mon, Wed, Fri): Free
4 PM (Tues, Thurs): Free
5 PM (Mon, Wed, Fri): Charms
5 PM (Tues, Thurs): Free

Uh-oh, I think we have a problem. Do you see it, Abby?

Abby: Why, yes, I do. And please don't call me 'Abby', ma'am. There's a double-booked slot!

Yes there is, Abby. What do you suppose we do about it?

Abby: Please, ma'am, it's Abigail. Couldn't we just fit one of the extra classes in one of the 'Free' places?

No, can do, Abby! You see, free slots don't mean we can put just anything there. It has to be a certain class you haven't signed up for. Certain classes can only go in certain spots, as teachers have packed schedules to fit every student who wishes to take their course. Where you think you may be able to fit your class, that teacher may be teaching a group of 3rd or 7th years!

Abby: Oh, dear! What do you suppose I do then, ma'am?

Well, Abby, here are your choices: You can pick one of the classes and toss the other, never to see it again, join in with another house's class, or pick another class in the one your tossing's place.

Abby: Well, I do believe I'd like to still take the class. Can I just join in with another house? It's just one class, after all.

Well, let's see what happens when we do that.

9 AM (Mon, Wed, Fri): Free
1 PM (Tues, Thurs): Defense Against the Dark Arts, Philosophy of Magic
3 PM (Tues, Thurs): Arithmancy

Oh no! There's still a clash!

Abby: What about the other one??!

9 AM (Mon, Wed, Fri): Arithmancy
1 PM (Tues, Thurs): Defense Against the Dark Arts,
3 PM (Tues, Thurs): Philosophy of Magic

Phew! That was a close one! Good call, Abby. How-

Abby: IT'S ABIGAIL, MA'AM. NOT. ABBY. *ahem* Pardon me, ma'am..

...Riiight. Anyway. However, while you get your class this means you'll be having a class with 2 different houses other than your own, the Markos and the Iagans. Think you can handle it?

Abby: Of course, ma'am.

-----------

I hope you enjoyed that, because I enjoyed typing it. I also hope this can answer a question or two about your schedules. Feel free to ask if you have anymore. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Sweet! I don't think any of my classes conflicted. I think it's cool that individuals can take a course with other houses not their own.

Also, I'm going to assume that dinner is at 6pm if the final class is at 5pm?

I updated my character sheet with Fairuza's course schedule.

Also, er.... I've been rereading the books, right?

Well... I learned that there's a magical school in Salem, Massechusettes called the Salem Witches Institute. We could always pretend that that's more of a magical college than a magical school for younger witches and wizards, though?

Another thing I learned is that... while Quidditch is played in the U.S., Quodpot is more popular here in the Wizarding World. We could have either game be the game of choice for Ravenscar.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:23 pm

I always saw the the Salem Witches as an organization, especially since their reference in the 4th books describes them as a few older witches.

As for the Quodpot, considering how sport-focused American schools are, I don't see why both can't be had. It's pretty much a soccer-football thing. No reason to not have both. That may just mean there's a season for each. If anyone wants get some details on the rules and technicalities, have at it.

And, yes, dinner is at 6 in the evening. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:28 pm

Sweet! I like the idea of both! Hm... Could there be a theatre thing with the school, too? My high school had an almost equal focus on the arts ((chorus, band, theatre, etc.)) and on sports ((football, baseball, soccer, etc.)) though sports was still more popular. I think it could be cool if Ravenscar had a bit of artsy-ness to it, too, you know?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:35 pm

While I can't exactly make classes for them, I don't see why we can't have them as extracurriculars. Most likely after dinner at 7 or on weekends. I know Hogwarts was very big with their choir so I don't see why the same can't be had with Ravenscar.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:22 am

Oh, that's what I meant. While chorus and band were classes, some of their offshoots like Chamber ((which was chamber music for a chorus group)) was an extracurricular. I don't see why band and regular chorus couldn't be extras, too. Theatre never was a class. It was just an extracurricular thing.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:24 pm

So, I'm finding out the rules and situations of Quodpot. It reminds me both of basketball and dodgeball. There are 11 players on each team, with a pot on each end of the pitch. The goal is to get the ball in the pot, a big cauldron, before it explodes, the pot being filled with a potion to keep the ball from exploding. The ball can only be passed when the holder is not moving and can be intercepted when thrown. The game continues until all 10 of the moving players on one team have been disqualified by having the ball explode in their hands. Each team has 1 person each guarding their pot.

Multiple balls can be in motion at once, as each pot contains 2 balls before the game begins. Each team captain flip a coin at the beginning to have a ball taken from their pot to be put into play. Once the game begins, the opposing team takes balls only from your pot to put into play. It is the protectors job to keep balls from going into the pot and from being taken out. Each dunk counts as 1 point. The team with the most points at the end of the game wins.

I also made a new character. Everyone, I'd like you to meet Adrian. :3

Spoiler:

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:02 pm

Sweet! He seems like a neat character, and the rules of Quadpot seem legit!

I changed Fairuza's age. She's meant to be a fifth year, but the only way she could be fifteen in a school year that goes from August to June with her birthday in April would be if she was a sixth year. This way, she'll turn fifteen during her fifth year.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:15 pm

Wait... do you want her to be a 5th or 6th year? I need to change the rule for the, because it's my fault it sounds... wonky. The best way to figure it is the 2nd digit of their age corresponds to their class year. They must reach that age before the school year starts. Such as if you turned 11 during the 99-00 school year, you'd attend the -next- year. If that makes sense. You can turn 16 during your 5th year, but you must be 15 before your 5th year. It's why Hermione was the oldest, with her birthday in September, and Harry was the youngest with his birthday in July.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:30 pm

I want her to be a fifth year which is why I lowered her age.

Wait... Hold on... Let me think this through because I think I'm just confusing myself...

Okay... So... Let's see... I've been going by my own school ages, but I think I've been miscalculating somewhere...

6 Grade = 1st Year
11 - 12

7 Grade = 2nd Year
12 - 13

8th Grade = 3rd Year
13 - 14

9th Grade = 4th Year
14 - 15

10th Grade = 5th Year
15 - 16

11th Grade = 6th Year
16 - 17

12 Grade = 7th Year
17 - 18

Okay... Is that how you imagined it because I think I just cleared stuff up for myself, and I'll change her age back to 15.

Also, if Hermione's birthday is in September, she would be younger than Harry who has a birthday in July - not older.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:35 pm

No, Hermione's birthday is September 19th, I believe, which is after the year starts. She turned 11 before the school year began, so she turned 12 that September. Ron's birthday is February, so he's 2nd oldest, and then Harry, who barely makes the mark.

But, those ages to years should be right, otherwise.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:40 pm

Ooooh. Okay. I see. I think I'm settled on that.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:54 pm

Is it alright that my character has only two classes on Monday Wednesday Friday?
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:55 pm

It should be fine. But, just so you all know, they are well aware of how seldom classes meet, meaning there will be -plenty- of homework. But, if you'd like classes on those days, I can give them to you. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:10 am

Nah, it's cool.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Hm... Are we still going to do this? Is there more planning that needs to be done, or are we set to start the first post and commence from there?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:47 pm

I say we blame the delay on the heat.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:24 am

*Pokes with a stick.*

*A magical stick*
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:12 pm

I'm pretty sure this isn't happening.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4