FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

5 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting) Empty Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

Post by YenWen Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:11 am

A country begins with an establishment, a colony, a small group willing to overcome wild obstacles in order to make a claim of their own. All sorts take a piece, of different places, beliefs, and cultures, hoping to make a home where they can be accepted and live in peace. Yet, it still takes time to establish something that is dignified and recognizable on a worldly scale. For many, that time is not short. So is the past before Ravenscar Academy.

Very recently has Ravenscar been constructed, deep within the confines of the Rocky Mountain wilderness. Until now, witches and wizards of North American bearing have been subject to transfer across oceans or homeschooling. Those of this generation will receive an education much unlike the previous. A new place to learn and expand their horizons in a way their parents could only hope their child would receive. So begins the Ravenscar Academy.

Your letter:

Spoiler:

The Houses:
Spoiler:

The Staff:
Spoiler:

Plot:
North American has gone without a school for it's many wizards and witches for centuries, but very recently a school was constructed within the confines of American Rocky Mountains. Students that live on the continent have been transferring to schools in South America, Europe, Australia, Asia, and Africa or have just resorted to homeschooling, on permission of their Ministries.
Ravenscar Academy is set to change that, and give a new place for students to learn and grow. First year students begin at the age of 11 and attend for the next seven years. First year students, are, of course, not the only ones attending. Any student within the ages of 11-17 are able to attend the academy. Students after their second year will be able to attend classes they would at any other school they planned on attending prior to Ravenscar, or send with their answer letter the classes aside from basics, they'd like to experience.
Ravenscar plans to teach it's students what only they can. But, will this new school really be up to par?

Rules and Important Info:
*Basic forum rules and common courtesy
*The teachers are mostly NPCs. However, if you would like to play a teacher, you can make out the skeleton, finish the design, and play their point of view when a a student is interacting with them. This is to give the teacher one personality, not five.
*Students do no know their house or about the houses until they've attended the school.
*Your student must be between the ages of 11 and 17. 17-year-olds by February 10th may take an Apparition Test.
*The year they are in is based on if they turn that age within or before the school year. (i.e. Begins June 1st 99 ends May 31st 00)
*Your student may be on a Quidditch team for their house if they are after 2nd year. That will be discussed.
*When a house is chosen, the students uniform with embellish a crest for their house on the left chest pocket. (Or where it would be)
*Students will arrive by plane from their respective airports. The planes to Ravenscar are at Gate 33 1/3. There will be an instructor at the gate to instruct you further. The student will present to him the letter the student received after answering to the first attendance letter.

Skeleton (Student):
Spoiler:

Skeleton (teacher):
Spoiler:

F.A.Q
(I'll put this up when you ask me questions. :3)

This took me forever. Be proud of me. However, I owe a lot to Kathryn Lacey for coming up with a lot of it. :3

Come on, hit me, I know you most likely have questions. And if this is more detailed than when you first checked, it's because I accidentally pressed "Send" instead of preview.

Characters:

*~*YenWen*~*:
Spoiler:

*~*Kathryn Lacey*~*:
Fairuza

*~*BehindTheMask*~*:
Vin

*~*Ruu*~*:
Ryan

*~*Lumeus*~*:
Aeron

Last edited by YenWen on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:48 pm; edited 8 times in total

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting) Empty Re: Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:34 pm

I'm currently working on my character. It could take a while. There's a lot of research to be done.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting) Empty Re: Ravenscar Academy of Enchantment and Magery (Accepting)

Post by BehindTheMask Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Good work, YenWen. Interested, yes. I suppose I should start coming up with character ideas.
BehindTheMask
BehindTheMask
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:04 pm

Sweet! It's lovely to see another person interested in this. I hope more people will be.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Wed Jun 15, 2011 1:12 pm

Yay! <3 I need to get mine done too. >> I also want to actually make images for the crests.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:49 pm

All right! I have completed my character. I'm going to post the things in the character sheet made my YenWen in the spoiler. Additional information on my character can be found here.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Kathryn Lacey on Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:32 pm; edited 4 times in total

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:03 pm

Sorry this has gone so quiet! Been a busy couple days. Hell, I still have a comic to do that was due Thursday. Ugh.

ANYWAY! Thank you Kathryn. I really like her. :3 I have a personal question though. Where in the states is she from? Out of curiosity.

And to anyone else reading, I encourage you to make more than one character, if you'd like.

My first is almost done, and then I'll get started on my second one.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:07 pm

Hm... I'll go with Arizona. I'll add it to her sheet under nationality.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:13 pm

Finally got that done. Gonna get started on class schedules and a second character.
Spoiler:

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BehindTheMask Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Here is my first character. Bear with me as this is the first time posting a character sheet on this site.

Spoiler:

Not quite sure why my paragraphs are all funky like that, but oh well. I will try to get my second character up soon.

Last edited by BehindTheMask on Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
BehindTheMask
BehindTheMask
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:26 pm

BehindTheMask wrote:Here is my first character. Bear with me as this is the first time posting a character sheet on this site.

Spoiler:

Not quite sure why my paragraphs are all funky like that, but oh well. I will try to get my second character up soon.

I only have a little, very tiny problem with it. From what I've come to understand from the rule of the magic world, being expelled means they can no longer do magic, period. Might I suggest changing it to them asking him to leave or else face expulsion? It gives him the option to keep performing magic while getting him out of the school.

And if you'd like, I can fix the paragraphs for you when I put it up in the first post. It takes a little getting used to, switching forum styles, but you'll get used to it. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BehindTheMask Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:41 pm

Oops, my bad. I can change that. ^.^

And that would be lovely if you could. I think I pressed the wrong button or something.
BehindTheMask
BehindTheMask
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:23 pm

BehindTheMask wrote:Oops, my bad. I can change that. ^.^

And that would be lovely if you could. I think I pressed the wrong button or something.

It's all up and done. ;3 You don't have to press enter to go to the next line, it'll do that on it's own. And I recommend when you separate your paragraphs, you put a space between them.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:26 am

YenWen, sweet! Your character seems neat! Wouldn't it be easier to simply link the character sheets in the first post rather than edit the whole sheet into it? It would not only allow more room for other things in the main post, but it would also allow players to change their sheets if they want to do that. You know?

BehindTheMask, did you type your character sheet in NotePad or somewhere other than FoG? That could be part of the issue. All you need to do to rectify it would be to open the edit of your post in a new tab, go to the beginning of each line and hit delete until it meets with the line above it.

Also, a helpful tip: If you have more than one paragraph, it's good to place a full line of empty space between each one to make it easier to read on a computer screen.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BehindTheMask Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:10 am

I write up everything in word first. I thought I did leave a line between each paragraph, but perhaps not. I know I pressed a re-alignment button, I think it was, which may have done the trick, and I thought I had fixed it. Apparently not. I shall just see when I post up my second character.
BehindTheMask
BehindTheMask
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:52 pm

The thing I've learned about Word is that one line of space by simply pressing Enter in Word is actually just a new line of text on a forum. The way to remedy this is by hitting Enter twice or by holding Shift and pressing Enter twice. I don't know anything about the realignment button... I don't actually know what that is. ^o_o^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:17 pm

I advise to not use the realign, as it sets it up for a word document. The dimensions between a word document and a forum set up are a bit off, so it'll always make it look a little... wonky. I advise to just type as you would, no extra buttons aside from the ones on your keyboard.

And to make it easier to see when you've put space between your paragraphs, go to your document settings and make sure there isn't a 10 pt space between documents, or that it's already double spaced. Single spaced, no space between paragraphs. You have to do it manually for it show up on a forum.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BehindTheMask Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:11 pm

Thanks for the tips. I shall try them out. And I've never heard of the button before, either, Kathryn. o.o
BehindTheMask
BehindTheMask
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:24 am

I'm starting to get a bit nervous, though. I know the three of us are up for this and are excited, but it's... difficult to a roleplay of this design with only the three of us. I'd like, if possible, to have at least one other person to be happy with it, but I suppose I could go ahead and start the IC and let people join while we're going.

Speaking of starting, I'm wondering what you all think the starting point should be. I was thinking packing up for the trip would be the best point, but if it's preferred, we can always start at the arrival at the school.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:25 am

I imagined that the best starting point would be any last minute packing, going to the airport, and arriving at the school.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by BehindTheMask Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:28 pm

I know what you mean about having more people for this type of roleplay. I don't know if more would be willing to join once they see it up and running. Some people don't check the OOC or recruitment thread first, I think. As for the beginning, either works. I would probably wait to see how you would describe the grounds and building, though, YenWen, just to not deter from your vision.
BehindTheMask
BehindTheMask
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:15 pm

~I'm definitely interested. Would you give me time to get up a character sometime tomorrow? I'm going to bed pretty soon.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:36 pm

I'm in the midst of making out the schedule and designing a uniform style. After that, I'll start working on a generalized castle design. Even in the Harry Potter books, there's a lot we never see or know about it, additions are and can be made at any time, and that's what I planned with this one, except for very specific places.

For classrooms, I'll have the first person who posts where they are get the free reign. And I hope everyone understands there will be a posting order.

And Ruu, you're fine, I know I have a couple things to do before we actually get started. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:58 pm

Would a castle, even a magic hidden castle, seem a bit out of place in the States?
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:01 am

Actually, no, there are several in the U.S. They don't look exactly like what we would picture, but they're still there. In fact, in Colorado, a man has spent a good portion of his life constructing a castle of his own.

This site has a list of the castles in the U.S.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:56 am

Working on a character sheet. Smile
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:15 pm

Excellent! <3
I have the uniform design done (I'm very happy with it) and I have the 1st year schedule done. I know, most of us aren't playing 1st years, if any of us, but I need to figure out all the schedules in order to know where everyone else is, and when teachers are available. I'm also realizing 1st years have a VERY free schedule, but that's to be expected, I suppose.

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:34 pm

~Here's mine! I hope it's alright! Please tell me if I need to change anything, as I don't know a lot about Harry Potter.
Spoiler:

Last edited by Ruu on Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:24 am; edited 4 times in total
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:04 pm

Ruu wrote:~Here's mine! I hope it's alright! Please tell me if I need to change anything, as I don't know a lot about Harry Potter.
Spoiler:

I do have a couple problems. First off, actual magic schooling doesn't start until they turn 11, so I'd either identify that it's not magical tutoring or raise his age. Along with the age, extra classes aren't allowed until 3rd year, so again, either edit that, or raise his age. And just for legibility reasons, I'd bold, underline, or separate the different sections of the profile.

Aside from those things, though, I like him. He seems like a cute kid. :3

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:19 pm

~Alrighty, I made the changes as you've asked. I hope everything's okay now! I was going to ask some questions about magical schooling. I should've done that before I posted.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next