FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Shipwrecked Wonder [Dagger&Ryona] OOC

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Shipwrecked Wonder [Dagger&Ryona] OOC Empty Shipwrecked Wonder [Dagger&Ryona] OOC

Post by Gadreille Fri May 28, 2010 10:47 pm

World

Isla Viado is an independent island located in the middle of the vast Sen Ocean, which is travelled by wooden sailing ships sailed by those who are crossing between the two large seperated continents: Randi in the east and Eztes in the west. One occupying state of Eztes at one time tried to simultaneously occupy the island of Viado, but their poor understanding of the environment led them to be pushed out by the natural inhabitants. Now Isla Viado is a detrimental stop between the two distant continents, and a place that many shipwrecked individuals find themselves on the beach of.

Eztes is a country of many agricultural states which are seperated into a lose trade, but depend upon the more industrial and commercial Randi for many items that are too expensive to be made in Eztes. Southern Eztes is more rural than Northern Eztes. Randi depends on many of the crops of Eztes for food survival.

Cantango - Southern Eztes. Possible birth home of Joseph.
Crotia - Northern Eztes. Possible origins of Isla Viado Inhabitants.
Ellis - Southern Eztes. Possible birth home of Joseph.
Novella - Northern Eztes. Nordic name culture. Samuel Torsson lives there.

Randi Culture

National Companion Competition - A competition for all 19 year old women. It's a competition to see who knows best all the skills a wife should have. These include: riding, swimming, dancing, acrobatics, acting, story-telling, poem-telling, singing, games (card, dices etc.) and knowledge in history, philosophy, psychology, science and mathematics (possibly some other stuff I can't remember at the moment). Obviously no one expects them to excel at all, but the one that excels most subjects wins the competition. There's also been instances where one woman have been so great at one skill she has been awarded a higher place because of that. The best woman in each skill also gets extra recognition, but nothing like the winner of the competition.
The winner gets the title Gold or Golden added to their surname, sometimes it's changed to platinum or other precious materials with equal value.
In the competition the surname is decided for all of the women depending on which skills they excelled at. A Singer is so great at singing there's nothing else that stands out as much. A Performer excels at all physical skills. A Story-teller excels at retelling old tales and making up new ones.

Farewell Ceremony - A ceremony done when a daughter and mother are to be separated. Usually it's done right before the wedding, but in the case where the daughter is to travel to her husband's lands first, it's done right before they are separated. It is performed different every time, the only thing in common is the parts it's made of. The mother story-tells, poem-tells or sings the Farewell Ceremony text and the daughter accompanies that with movements of some kind; the daughter always starts the ceremony too. Usually both mother and daughter choose the skill they are best at of the available.
When the daughter is to move far away, friends and relatives usually watches the Farewell Ceremony and joins in the singing/telling of the text. In that way they get to say farewell too. Friends and relatives has to choose the same skill (singing or telling) as the mother does, even if they aren't the strongest in that skill.
In this case the mother, Triana, sings the text, because that's what she does best. Driana decided to dance to it and finish it with acrobatics, as a performer she could choose any of the physical skills.

Characters

Name: Joseph Esau II, son of Joseph Esau
Hometown: Unknown

Background: Joseph does not remember much of his heritage, for he was only a child when the ship he was on sank during a terrible storm. He somehow survived, carried on the debitage of the ship with the help of the only other sole survivor, a man who died of his injuries shortly after they made it to shore. Joseph was raised by the Esau family who owned some land and a shop at the only port on Isla Viado. The family holds no desire to see the outside world, content with their life on the island. They also refuse to explain to Joseph how they came to be on the island, and after years of pestering, he gave up trying to figure it out.

Having a severe interest in the outside world (and his origins) Joseph works the shop at port where he gets to meet those crossing the Sen Ocean, from one great continent in the East to another in the West. Isla Viado is a detrimental stop to those attempting to cross the Sen Ocean in wooden sailing vessels. Joseph had more than once been offered a job as a sailor on ships that had lost some of their crew in the attempted crossing; but between his father's forbidance and his own fear, he has never left Isla Viado.

Name: Driana Golden-Performer, daughter of Triana Silver-Singer
Hometown: Tandria, capital of Randi
Location: On a ship about to travel/travelling across the Sen Ocean

Background: Driana was born into a rich family in Tandria. Her father was a well-off tradesman, but it was Driana's mother that earned the family the most money. Triana, Driana's mother, was a famous singer and people from all over the country and outside travelled to her shows.

The social status and duties of the women were unusual in Randi. Instead of their main function being to have children and care for them, the women were supposed to be companions to the men. Their main goal was to entertain in all possible ways, e.g. by dancing, acting, singing, story-telling, playing games, and discussing philosophy and history. This meant they needed an extended education and the richer and nobler the family was the better the education. Driana got one of the best there was and by excelling in all physical aspects of the training she got the surname Performer. The addition of Golden came after winning the nation-wide competition and because she had blonde hair.

At the age of 20, having won the competition only a few weeks earlier, she was presented formally to the court for marriage purposes. A great many men were interested in marrying her, but it was a gentleman from across the Sen Ocean that captured her father's attention. Samuel Torsson was a rich tradesman, and interested in both the renown of having an already famous wife and merge his and Driana's father's trading companies. The negotiations on the marriage and the merger took some time. Driana used it to get to know as much as possible about the land her future husband came from and any interests of his, so she could be the ultimate companion for him. Only a week after Driana's 22 birthday did she board the ship that would take her over the Sen Ocean and to her future home.

Plot
A man, yearning for exploration and answers, comes in contact with a shipwrecked woman of a foreign culture who, among her many talents, cannot speak his language nor has any understanding of the intricities of his island. They must help one another to achieve what it is they want most - or think they want most.

Last edited by Ryona Noel on Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Shipwrecked Wonder [Dagger&Ryona] OOC Empty Re: Shipwrecked Wonder [Dagger&Ryona] OOC

Post by Gadreille Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:46 pm

Hey, I loved your post! I can't post until I finish my paper and presentation, so probably on sunday!

One thing though, the Island is Viado, I think you were spelling it Vialdo.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Shipwrecked Wonder [Dagger&Ryona] OOC Empty Re: Shipwrecked Wonder [Dagger&Ryona] OOC

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:51 pm

Hmmm... Tomorrow or so I'll go through the post and correct that, and anything else I see. Plus then I'll go through all the things I named and maybe a little explaining so you can add it to the first post here.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:54 pm

Oh yes, I completely forgot about that. Thank you! I should have done it right after I read it the first time. Darn school!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:09 pm

That's fine. The mistakes I made was because I finished the post in a hurry, saw how late it was and...ignored to proof it in favour of more sleep and posting. I wanted to get it out, because it would only be minor changes anyway. As I said I'll go through my post anyway so I can compile them here for you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:11 pm

The mistake isn't a big deal, I wouldn't sweat it. You can even leave it there if you wish, I just wanted to correct you for future purposes. I know how hard it is to proofread, I rarely have the time to proofread at the time of the post, so I rely on criticism Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:16 pm

Criticism is the only way to improve at least after a while. I'm not sure I'm that good yet, but I'm working on it. So I really appreciate it if you tell me when you see mistakes, not that you have to.
Proofreading helps me learn, and I know I have a tendency to make awkward sentences sometimes. But now I don't feel like I have to proofread, which will hopefully motive me to do it. Heh.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:03 pm

I got more work done than I thought I would, so I allowed myself some time to write. I finished my post, but was wondering if you wanted Joe to find her in this post, or let her wonder around a bit before he finds her?
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:14 am

It doesn't really matter to me, to tell the truth. She managed to swim close enough to the beach to be washed up, which I'm sure you understood from my post. (The roughness that scratched and the easier time to breath.) Considering you have posted I can write a post about her waking up or so.
By the way, I loved the post! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:06 am

Novella - Northern Eztes. Nordic name culture. Samuel Torsson lives there.

National Companion Competition - A competition for all 19 year old women. It's a competition to see who knows best all the skills a wife should have. These include: riding, swimming, dancing, acrobatics, acting, story-telling, poem-telling, singing, games (card, dices etc.) and knowledge in history, philosophy, psychology, science and mathematics (possibly some other stuff I can't remember at the moment). Obviously no one expects them to excel at all, but the one that excels most subjects wins the competition. There's also been instances where one woman have been so great at one skill she has been awarded a higher place because of that. The best woman in each skill also gets extra recognition, but nothing like the winner of the competition.
The winner gets the title Gold or Golden added to their surname, sometimes it's changed to platinum or other precious materials with equal value.
In the competition the surname is decided for all of the women depending on which skills they excelled at. A Singer is so great at singing there's nothing else that stands out as much. A Performer excels at all physical skills. A Story-teller excels at retelling old tales and making up new ones.

Farewell Ceremony - A ceremony done when a daughter and mother are to be separated. Usually it's done right before the wedding, but in the case where the daughter is to travel to her husband's lands first, it's done right before they are separated. It is performed different every time, the only thing in common is the parts it's made of. The mother story-tells, poem-tells or sings the Farewell Ceremony text and the daughter accompanies that with movements of some kind; the daughter always starts the ceremony too. Usually both mother and daughter choose the skill they are best at of the available.
When the daughter is to move far away, friends and relatives usually watches the Farewell Ceremony and joins in the singing/telling of the text. In that way they get to say farewell too. Friends and relatives has to choose the same skill (singing or telling) as the mother does, even if they aren't the strongest in that skill.
In this case the mother, Triana, sings the text, because that's what she does best. Driana decided to dance to it and finish it with acrobatics, as a performer she could choose any of the physical skills.

And I corrected some mistakes. As I thought, found some really awkward sentences, heh. Since it's just a sentence here or there, or possibly a word cut away, you don't have to reread it. The change isn't that big. Just enough to make it more readable. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:31 pm

I updated the main post with this info, I'd like to add more (especially on Randi) but I just need to organize it better. At least it is up there!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Yes, we have a start.
In Randi the sons follow in their father's footstep, while the daughters follow their mother's. The daughters are always daughters of their mothers, and vice verse. At least that's how I see it. And as been more implied than outright said, the women can earn money on their skills if they are good enough. But considering all women learn at least a little for every skill, you have to be truly spectacular.
In many ways this means that's in some ways easier for women to raise above their station. Because the National Companion Competition is everything. It decides their surnames, usually the add-on to their surname and it tells everyone how good you are at the different skills.
The year after the competition is the time for marriage. The ones that did good at the competition is presented for marriage, or those that are rich enough. Both parents negotiate a deal with the future husband, they have to both agree.
That's kind of all the things I've thought about Randi so far. Well, that I can remember at the moment anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:54 pm

I'll probably wait a bit before I work on that again. I posted a response, I didn't realize until moments ago that you had already posted! It was very good!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:17 pm

Great post! I'm going to be out of town for a few days, will post when I get back!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:41 am

Woho! Love the post. I'll write a post about from where I stopped until my character passes out. More than that I can't really write, hehe.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:19 am

Oh good, I was afraid I had missed a detail since I have been quite scatterbrained as of late! I know you don't have much to work with but it was tough for me to even write that much. Busy day Sad
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:33 pm

That's fine. And no, you didn't forget anything. If something you reminded me about the horrible weather. >_< However I managed to forget that, ah well.
It's always so much to do after you come home from a trip and you just graduated! I completely understand. Hopefully I'll have the post written by tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:13 pm

Alas, I have posted. I'd probably guess that she would be unconscious at least for a few hours until the day after or so. So feel free to let some time go by. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:57 pm

Beautifully written! I love how you expressed her protesting to him carrying her, it is exactly how I would react in such a situation! I will post tomorrow.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:57 pm

Great post! I'm just wondering, will he try to do anything special to wake her up, or just wait? If you want to add that to your post that's totally fine. Especially since I'll be going away until Saturday/Sunday. I'll have to internet for that time and unfortunately I didn't have time tonight to write. Sorry.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:27 pm

I guess he should try and wake her, I thought I'd let you write that however you want. It's fine, have fun, see you when you get back!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:13 pm

I had a lot of fun. I'll reply tomorrow or tuesday. I have some catching up to do (email and school), but I think I'll get one written in the time frame.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:36 pm

I posted. Oh and she will agree to being bathed, since she can't really help herself and she's cold. Just wanted to point out that her hair is really long. I don't think I've written that anywhere. It goes to the middle of her thighs.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:02 pm

I'll post tonight!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:06 pm

And she will still be uncomfortable about it. Heh, but I think poor Joe will be awkward about it too. It's always fun with two people having to do something both find awkward, right? Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:47 am

Yes it will be very awkward! Sorry I did not get to it tonight. I've always got too much going on. Hopefully between tomorrow and saturday I can get a good post up!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:46 pm

I wondered if I could control Joe's father a little. I think he'd remember that she has no clothes with her in the room and would probably come by and give her some lay-offs of his or Joe's. And maybe take the brush with him too?
Otherwise she'll stay in the room, because it wouldn't be decent to walk around in the bed sheets. Smile

EDIT:: And can he help her brush the last of her hair? You decide since it's your character and I don't know how you feel about me controlling NPC's that are "yours". Of course I never control a NPC if I'm not sure he/she would behave like that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:15 pm

You may control Joe's father as much as you wish.

In fact, whenever I bring a character into the story, I will let you know if you can use them. For the most part I don't have a problem sharing characters, even Joe to a limited extent. It makes for a smoother story!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:23 pm

I completely I agree. Since I wasn't sure they'd keep Joe's mother's clothes I'll give her trousers and a shirt. I'm not sure, but I'd think that beside maybe keeping a few of her finest clothes, they'd give the rest away/sell it to someone that needed it. Although I'm not sure how attached Joe's father is to his wife. But I'll hope it's fine as it is. A little long perhaps. Heh Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:15 pm

I just wanted to say that if nothing real life come between I should get a post up this weekend. And I love your writing. Just so you know. I really enjoy our RP. :3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next