FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HUMANS ONLY

+2
Adrius Frostglare
Gadreille
6 posters

Go down

HUMANS ONLY Empty HUMANS ONLY

Post by Gadreille Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:31 pm

Last night I went to go see the midnight showing of District 9. It is, very likely, my favorite science fiction film of all time. I could go on and on about it, but I'll post a bit from a review and link it so you can read for yourself if you choose. Keep in mind this movie is a lot more fun when you don't know too much about it, so I made sure not to put any spoilers here.

"Back in the summer of 2008, a small film crew descended on a slum in South Africa and spent three months shooting documentary-style footage of a society in the midst of upheaval. Poverty, prejudice, government intolerance — the cameras captured all the great human injustices. And some nonhuman ones, too.

“District 9,” which opens on Aug. 14, may well turn out to be the most unlikely sci-fi blockbuster of the season. It has no stars. It was made for relatively little money ($30 million) by a 29-year-old South African-born director whom nobody’s ever heard of, Neill Blomkamp. And its action-packed plot is tinged with a surprising moral intelligence, as if a Paul Verhoeven film got a rewrite from Nelson Mandela."

Full Review from EW.com
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

HUMANS ONLY Empty Re: HUMANS ONLY

Post by Adrius Frostglare Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:46 pm

I've been itching to see this movie. I might sometime. I'll have to convince my stepdad to take us out to see it before he leaves Smile

Well, I myself am a fan of the "realistic sci-fi", which has a mix between the real and the seemingly unreachable. Aliens? One of my favorite films. Had no light sabers or blasters. I'm not dissing Star Wars, the series was amazing and the very fact that it's among my favorites even when not done in my favorite way is worth noting.

Still... I REALLY want to see this movie. If you liked it, I am sure I will too.

Gonna miss the advertisement posters everywhere, though...

HUMANS ONLY District9-1b

HUMANS ONLY District9-2b

It was like IRL roleplay to me...
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://adriusfrostglare.deviantart.com/  (Deviant Art profile)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:57 pm

Adrius Frostglare wrote:
Well, I myself am a fan of the "realistic sci-fi", which has a mix between the real and the seemingly unreachable. Aliens? One of my favorite films. Had no light sabers or blasters. I'm not dissing Star Wars, the series was amazing and the very fact that it's among my favorites even when not done in my favorite way is worth noting.

Star Wars has a special place in my heart, but I am always itching for a good scifi/fantasy. I absolutely loved Cloverfield for the reasons you mentioned above - I truly felt like it could have been real at one time.

District 9 is even better because of the moral value it has. There is a sea of discrimination and prejudices that people place on each other. These feelings are very real, and very common, and it seems only natural that humans would feel the same way about aliens, if we were to encounter them.

There is so much more I want to say here but I don't want to give away anything so I'll have to keep quiet Smile

Adrius Frostglare wrote:
It was like IRL roleplay to me...

It truly was! Even the MNU website is amazing!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:58 pm

1-866-666-6001...

connection? o_O

Nah, I'm just kidding, but from the little I read, only the opening post, it does seem like a good movie...god I wish I wasn't so lazy so that I would actually go and see it.
Ragter the junior greeter
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Ragter the junior greeter wrote:1-866-666-6001...

connection? o_O

Nah, I'm just kidding, but from the little I read, only the opening post, it does seem like a good movie...god I wish I wasn't so lazy so that I would actually go and see it.

Haha, I called that number, it's the MNU hotline. Somewhere, there is a recording of me babbling about an alien stealing my cat...

I know what you mean about being lazy. Not only is the movie expensive, it's a good chunk of time out of the day. I'm still hurting from the repercussions of staying up until 3 in the morning, when I know my son wakes up at 8 o'clock! I haven't been to a midnight showing in...well, a really really long time.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:10 pm

A midnight showing? Who'd go to a midnight showing for a movie? o_O
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:15 pm

I fully intend to see this movie. However, I also happen to have this weird, unhealthy interest in anything South Africa related, so that makes it even more imperative that I go see it...probably on Sunday. It depends on the English Premier League schedule, as that starts this weekend.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:00 pm

Ragter the junior greeter wrote:A midnight showing? Who'd go to a midnight showing for a movie? o_O

I would...

Heyseuss wrote:I fully intend to see this movie. However, I also happen to have this weird, unhealthy interest in anything South Africa related, so that makes it even more imperative that I go see it...probably on Sunday. It depends on the English Premier League schedule, as that starts this weekend.

I hope you enjoy it!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Neschume Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:26 pm

I too went to the midnight showing of District 9. It was amazing it made me laugh and cringe and wonder why they said fuck so damn much. It is definitely my favorite science fiction movie of all time. The only small gripe was that it started out very slowly but it quickly picked up so it was totally fine. I agree that it's best if you know little to nothing about the movie before watching, that's what made everything so epic.
Neschume
Neschume
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:33 pm

You guys are making it hard for me to not go and look up more info on it, what with you all saying it's good and stuff >_<
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:14 pm

Just got back from the movie, THE BEST SCI FI MOVIE IN THE LAST 20 YEARS! Transformers, the prequel star wars movies, every sci fi movie the last 20 years is simply not up to the level this movie takes it. And the amazing thing about it, it is the directors and lead actors FIRST movie. I hope they bring us more brilliance as this movie. The beginning was slow sure, to build character and though you may not like the lead character at first the movie build to sympathizing with the character and that is a true testament to the actors raw power and skill.

Don't worry fans who want booms, plenty of it in the second half and amazingly it does not take away from the movie at all. The alien weaponry is imaginative and seems almost life like with its simple functions and limits. You feel as though you could truly see these weapons in the next 20 years.

Now I can go on for at least 5-7 more paragraphs praising this film, but I truly believe it is one of those few movies in history, where you have to see it to believe it. Go see this thing now. I'm planning on awarding this movie with another visit this Sunday.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:50 pm

I will second every good praise to this movie Smile I went with Ryona to the midnight showing. I have to say, it is my all time favorite movie. There is so much I could say about it, but a lot of it has already been said, so I will just say: Please, do yourself a favor, and go watch this movie!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:51 pm

You guys are bearing down my throat x.x What if I don't have the time to see it?! God dang it..now I have to see it...but I don't have time...

Darn it, you all make me feel so conflicted!
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:58 pm

Give up on some sleep and hit a late showing Very Happy
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:01 pm

Argh....

I'll try ;-;
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:55 pm

Finally can respond here!

Onenitedrive and I just got back from seeing this movie earlier. We had both been wanting to see it badly (as our entire belief system, essentially, is associated with extraterrestrial life, and if you know either of us relatively at all, you know we are both alien fantastics lol), but going to the midnight showing was just out of the question, since we get up at 6:00 am for work and school. Saving it for the weekend though was alright. I was happy that we had money to go to the theater, really. ($20 for a movie that you don't even own, plus $13 for pop and popcorn - srsly)

Something that we both were surprised with about the movie was that we weren't expecting it to revolve around a main character. The movie itself was based off a mini film that was only a few minutes long that we had previously watched (though I forgot the name of it), and that was more so just like a short documentary. I think we expected it to be less Hollywood-ish and more of a film about why the aliens were here, where they came from, what they were doing, what was happening on the planet because of them being here, etc. Still, the main character plot line was an interesting one. The ending was very good, too.

We're hoping they make a District 10 movie now. Laughing

Those advertisements are amazing!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:19 pm

I agree, the advertisements really make it stand out!

I can't wait for District 10, I hope they make it. A prequel wouldn't be too bad either.

I may even try and start a District 10 role play...hmm...
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:46 am

I'm torn. I want a sequel because I want to see where they go with the story. The story for D-9 was great, and a D-10 has so much potential. But sequels are so often ruined... I just can't see D-10 being as good as the first, partly because the surprise factor would be gone. I went into the movie, intentionally, without knowing much about it. But now I know everything (as far as what was told). So D-10 won't be original. It will revolve entirely around an engaging storyline, keeping to the original characters, and not overdoing it with dramatic action sequences to fill in for mission plot...

But I have to trust they can pull it off. And that the population of Earth is smart enough to go see this movie so that they will actually decide to make D-10...

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:24 am

I'm also very torn, about a sequel but this director has made an amazing movie on his first first try. I can't help but believe this kid is going to go through a bit of a hot streak with movies, at least for the sequel. I hope we keep it to only 2 though a third is more than likely going to fail and if he does it and it's as good as the first then he may just be the best director of our generation.

I was expecting that as well Fate but I was pleasantly surprised that they really did stay away from the why the aliens were here, where they came from, what they were doing, what was happening on the planet. They kept the story not only to the main character but treatment of the aliens and the similar resorts they take to when broken down and treated as second class citizens which mirrors the ghettos and slums of our own world. That struck me much harder than any knowledge of their past or reasoning, and beside they are probably saving it for the sequel. Wink Remember they are called "Prawns" which is not their name but the derogatory name we humans gave them. US giving a advanced alien race a derogatory name, if that doesn't like a true human action I don't know what does.

But I may be giving to much away, all I can say is that this movie is not Hollywood, it's not sci fi, it's not action, it's not even a social commentary. It's ALL these things, it's something that's completely new. And needs to be seen if you have no seen it.

PS I'm seeing it again today. Very Happy
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:30 am

I want to see it again!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:30 am

Dad and LJ saw it again last night >.<
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:12 pm

I...still haven't seen it.

Gosh dang it ;-;
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:01 pm

Just got back from seeing it again. And yes I would like to see it a third time! XD
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:05 pm

Take me!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★