FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check

4 posters

Go down

Would you be interested in joining this RP?

At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Votele1040%At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Voteri10 40% 
[ 2 ]
At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Votele100%At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Voteri10 0% 
[ 0 ]
At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Votele1040%At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Voteri10 40% 
[ 2 ]
At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Votele100%At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Voteri10 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Votele1020%At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Voteri10 20% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 5

At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Empty At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check

Post by ShadowWake Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:37 pm

The Year of the Roc:

A ship that sails the heavens. This is what we are meant to believe - this is what has been shown to us. Erythoril shines like a pale, straw-coloured mirror across the expansive bow of what they tell us is a ship. It has no sails, no lines. It is drawn neither by the wind, nor the horse, but powers instead - they tell us - from the same material that graces its smooth curves. It is said it will sail through the wide expanse of the stars and to planets close in image to our own, yet it was not long ago that those bright pinpricks were mere ancestors, watching serenly over us as we worked our way through the years. Some say it will not work - that we will be cast from the heavens and fall back into the present where we belong. Other say it will be a great leap into the future and we will finally find our true place in this 'Universe'. Whatever you believe, I believe there is one thing that is certain. We are at the edge of the world. The question is: will you stumble...

Or will you jump?

Ok guys. Smile Preamble over. This is a Fantasy/Sci-Fi adventure, focussing on a medieval-era world on the brink of space-flight. I have a rather detailed image of the setting (i.e. the world) and the civilisation, which I'm currently trying to put into words, so I'll add that here bit by bit. Once I've worked everything out fully and I've gained some interest then I'll start up official OOC and IC threads.

The basic idea is a fantasy adventure/exploration quest. The humanoid species on this planet - named Indee-Ennis - are the Teela: human-shaped etc. with the minor difference of coloured markings on their bodies, usually along the breastbone, spine, outside of the limbs and sometimes across the face. Each race has different shaped markings and often, the larger the markings, the less advanced the race (though not always). In society, sometimes particular colours show status and the brighter the colour the higher the status, but again, this is subject to much debate.

Here's the information on the planet I've compiled so far (bear with me for it's not particularly eloquent yet):

I. The World

Planet
Apart from being more oceanic, i.e. ¾ water, this world differs little from Earth. It is a similar size with the same density, gravity and atmosphere and has only a single sun. It does, however, have two moons – Isiah and Ortel – that orbit perpendicular to each other. Major constellations include the Little Cub, Hertius, and Lia’s Mirror. A bright blue speck marks the nearest planet – named Lorvas – and is visible during day and night.

Landscape
Most land = archipelagos of between 1 and 20 islands, scattered randomly across the globe. There are no continents, only Regions and Archipelagos. Landscape ranges widely like Earth, with forests, deserts, mountains, ice, etc. About 60% of the land is habitable (i.e. big enough and with a habitable landscape).

The story will take place upon Ista, the largest island of the Istan Region which contains six islands in total - in order of size: Ista, Galvos, Forten (uninhabitable), Mart and Ninia (uninhabitable). Ista is an extinct volcanic island with the main towns and cities huddled in the centre of the large (miles-wide) crater and surrounded by mountains. A pass created by an ancient glacier carves through the SE side of the mountain ring, opening out into the largest harbour in the world. Many beaches and coves can be found around the outer edge of the island and a large reef encompasses the whole of the N/E. Climate is the same as the rest of the world, though the major cities and towns are protected to some extent from the worst of it by the mountainous barrier that surrounds them.

Goat and sheep are the main farming practice, grazing on the rough mountain slopes, and cities often hold their own orchards. The mountains cannot be navigated during the winter and, during the blizzard month, even the large SE pass is often too dangerous to travel through. Forests – coniferous on the inner edge, tropical on the outer – can be found at the base of the volcano and are more clumped than evenly spread in the crater due to forestry.

At the centre point of the crater is a lake that is fed from several small tributaries from their sources on the mountain peaks to the estuary mouth at the sea, through the SE pass.

Climate/Tides
Climate is generally the same all over the world but with season extremes: Spring = monsoon season, Summer = drought season, Autumn = hurricane season, Winter = blizzard season. Extremes are predictable, with each season containing a full month of sporadic extreme weather, i.e. March-May = Spring (monsoons = April), June-August = Summer (drought = July), September-November = Autumn (hurricanes = October), December-February = Winter (blizzards = January).

Tides are extreme four times a year when the moons are closest to each other and correspond with the extreme weather: high tides in April and October (often resulting in floods) and low tides in July and January (land bridges form between some islands).

Animals
Teela are the sentient humanoid natives, having evolved from ape-like ancestors, and have been around for just over half a millenia. No other humanoid races as of yet, due to space travel only just being invented.

There are no magical creatures but some very large species are present – most notably Kraken (sea-squids), Morgar (sea-serpents) and Rocs (eagles) – as well as the endemic Eben-wolves (rock-wolves).

There is more than one type of Kraken and each subspecies varies in appearance and size: elongated to round, the size of a small fishing boat to a three-masted flagship and bigger. Kraken are only found on deep-sea voyages and as such, these are made with caution (leading to further segregation of each race).

Morgar are more common than Kraken and vary even more in size – from the size of a small viper to bigger than the width of a carriage and the length of ten – and vary in colouration depending on age. Young Morgar are more brightly coloured, indicating their poisonousness to predators, whereas older Morgar use more stealth in their attacks and thus are duller – often camouflaged.

Civilisation
Capital island = approx. 46,500,000. World population = approx. 2,000,000,000. Small town = up to 5,000. Large town = between 5,000 and 50,000. City = >50,000.

Cultural diveristy between native Teela is distinguished by their markings – both patterning and colour. More LEDCs than MEDCs (medieval-like era). Social heirarchies within civilisation are often based on colour. Differences in marking shapes often reflects race advancement (the larger and more irregular the markings, the less civilised the race is; can be a generalisation though).

Currency: 1 x Amber Imperial = 5 x Crimson Shillings; 1 x Crimson Shilling = 100 x Ivory Pennies.

Communication is via messenger (usually single rider – rapid delivery) or courier (horse-drawn carriage – slower and more susceptible to bandits).

'Magic'
‘Magic’ is composed of alchemy or tribal-like rituals, depending on how civilised the race. Simple alchemy uses natural powders and liquids, occasionally bound with ritualisations, whereas complex alchemy used for weapons and flight involves the latter combined with a form of ore called Erythoril.

• Erythoril is a mirrorlike, apricot-coloured ore. It is heavy, smooth and extremely inflexible in solid form. Its melting point is very high, though combining it with other compounds can lower the melting point. Once tempered (like steel), it provides excellent protection from radiation and some insulation against temperature changes, as well as being very unreactive. The smell of sugar comes from this material in its crude form. When exposed to open flame, i.e. when tempered, it becomes paler and almost white-gold in color and is used in this state for metalwork, jewelery and weaponry. When the crude ore is exposed to acid, it explodes, and this has recently been used in the development of space-flight.

‘Magic’ used in rituals comes from personal willpower and is an inexhaustable resource, depending on how the rituals are undertaken. Fasting is more common than sacrifices in LEDCs but the latter do occur: mostly animals but sometimes with the shaman’s own blood or limbs. MEDCs have realised that neither fasting nor sacrifices are necessary for the rituals to work and often only use alchemy anyway.

A few other short notes are:
• Only way to travel between islands = by boat/Roc flight
• Only those in the military (sky-fighters) are allowed to fly Rocs
• Military factions are often separated into different coloured markings
• Militant rivalry occurs between factions but healers generally accepted by all factions (no matter what birth-faction they belong to)
• Largest island = industry (weaponry, space-craft), military base & academy

-------
To help also, here's my character profile. Hopefully by seeing it you'll get a better idea of what I'm about until I get the rest of the info up (e.g. society, etc.).

Name: Solstice “Sol” Aibhilín
Socioeconomic Level (child): Middle-class
Socioeconomic Level (adult): Working-class
Income: Low
Talents/Skills:
• Proficient with dual short-swords and knives
• Excellent climber and flyer
• Dextrous and flexible
• Small-time artist
• Relatively decent survival skills (including hunting)
Birth order: Second child
Parents: Ffionen Llambræ (mother), Leortraeus Aibhilín (father)
Siblings: Leor Aibhilín (brother)
Spouse: None
Children: None
Significant Others (describe relationship): Crya (Roc – flight partner)
Relationship skills: Limited.

Physical Characteristics:

Height: 5’9”
Weight: 60kg
Race: Teela
Eye Color: Teal
Hair:
• Colour: Red/Auburn
• Length: To bottom of shoulder-blades
• Style: Naturally ringletted
• Worn: Loose or in a loose, messy bun
Skin color: Slightly sun-kissed caucasian
Shape of Face: Square
Distinguishing features:
• Sharp cheekbones,
• Fine, arching brows,
• Defined jaw,
• Teal markings (misshapen spots): down the outside of each limb, down the spine, and from the jugular notch down the breast-bone to the navel
• Dark, metal ear-cuff on the top cartilage of left ear and a feather from her Roc as an earring in the lobe of her right ear.
How does he/she dress?
• Loose, long-sleeved, v-necked (laced), white overshirt (cotton-like)
• Tight, long-sleeved, high-necked, black undershirt (thermal)
• Tight, full-length, russet-coloured britches (thermal, strong)
• Fitted, knee-length, 1-inch-heeled, black boots (lacing on outside leg around metal hooks)
• Black sleeveless breast-plate, reaching to navel (strong)
• Black, sleeveless neck-plate, high-collared, laced across upper ribs (strong, leather-like)
• Black shoulder-plates, attached to neck-plate at trapezoids (strong)
• Black back-brace, buckled by two straps at the waist (strong, leather-like)
• Black vambraces, buckled by two straps on the underside of the wrist (strong)
Mannerisms:
• Relaxed at home but often on edge in novel environments
• Sarcastic, dry sense of humour
• Antagonistic
• Skeptical
• Stubborn
• Competitive
• Proud
• Passionate
• Strong-willed
• Loyal
Habits: Fighting, drinking, arguing
Health: Good shape (muscular/toned), fit and healthy (drinking only occasionally)
Hobbies: Flying, fighting, climbing
Favorite Sayings: “Really...?” (with raised eyebrow); “I’ll believe it when I see it...”; “Touch me again and you’ll be carrying your fingers home in a jug...”
Speech patterns: Well-pronounced with a slight accented lilt
Disabilities: Old leg injury can cause a slight limp in wet weather
Style (Elegant, shabby etc.): Practical but elegant fighting style

Intellectual/Mental/Personality Attributes and Attitudes

Educational Background: Mostly combat training but with some historical tuition
Intelligence Level: High
Any Mental Illnesses? None
Character's short-term goals in life: Make money
Character's long-term goals in life: Travel the universe
How does Character see himself/herself? Confident, calm, efficient
How does Character believe he/she is perceived by others? See above
How self-confident is the character? Highly
Does the character seem ruled by emotion or logic or some combination thereof? Mostly ruled by emotion and intuition but can be quite logical in certain situations
What would most embarass this character? Losing a fight

Emotional Characteristics

Strengths/Weaknesses: Loyalty, strength/Antagonism, stubborness, pride
Introvert or Extrovert? Extrovert
How does the character deal with anger? Both vocally and physically
With sadness? By ignoring it/becoming antagonistic/by drinking
With conflict? Verbal abuse and physical violence (though more sparring/challenge than brawling)
With change? With initial stubborness/refusal, then grudging acceptance
With loss? By becoming introverted/ignoring it/by drinking
What does the character want out of life? To find somewhere she belongs/ to prove herself
What would the character like to change in his/her life? Her combatitive nature
What motivates this character? The need to increasingly better herself/money
What frightens this character? The loss/death of her Roc, Crya
What makes this character happy? Flying, spending time alone with Crya
Is the character judgmental of others? Highly
Is the character generous or stingy? Generous
Is the character generally polite or rude? Rude – sometimes unintentionally, sometimes not.

Spiritual Characteristics

What are the character's spiritual beliefs? None/Death is inexistance
Is religion or spirituality a part of this character's life? In part (brother believes in ‘Gaia’)
If so, what role does it play? Creates antagonism/argument between the two

Anyway dudes and dudettes: let me know what you think! I'm open for questions etc. and obviously I'll be updating this as an when I get my act together with the background. For now, though, I'm just curious as to whether there's any interest. Very Happy
ShadowWake
ShadowWake
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Empty Re: At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check

Post by Hedya Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:32 am

Well, just as I said before, I'm interested on this... the setting looks great, and the character skeleton...well, that is one great character skeleton!!! I'm amazed! It almost makes me want to create the character already...!

Count me in, that's for sure!!
Hedya
Hedya
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check Empty Re: At The Edge Of The World - Interest Check

Post by Dio the Awesome Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:56 am

AH! Balls!

I was going to state my profound interest a day ago, but it seemed to have slipped my mind. Count me in in in in in!
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:16 am

I want to join, but I'm vanishing for the day to go to the next state over. I'll make my profile sometime tomorrow if that's okay.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowWake Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:34 pm

Thanks for expressing your interest guys!

Don't worry for the moment, Inero. I still want to get some more details up before I start this thing going and I'm pretty sure it won't be for a few days at least due to a reasonably busy schedule at home over the next couple of days.

However, anyone can start making profiles if you want to. You don't have to use what I have, however you are welcome to. If not a simple profile like below will do.

Name:
Appearance (inc. clothing):
Personality:
Background:
Other:

Just bear in mind when you do make them, that there may be some more information that you might want to use coming soon! Very Happy

I'm so glad I've got some interest for this one... thank you!
ShadowWake
ShadowWake
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedya Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:32 pm

That's why I chose to wait; because you might give some shiny new information that will be nice for us to use for our characters... yay!
Hedya
Hedya
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:39 am

bumping for epic interest. I want the OOC to be up before I submit my profile.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowWake Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:36 am

No worries, Diodri: OOC will be up this lunchtime (GMT) i.e. in about 2 hours. Currently at work so snatching moments to edit. Most is already up there and I think the rest can enfold in the RP. Will try and do a map at somepoint too! Very Happy Not long now - thanks for being patient!
ShadowWake
ShadowWake
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:53 am

No worries!

Can't wait. *f5f5f5f5f5*
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedya Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:41 am

I can't wait! Don't know if I'll be on this evening, but no later than tomorrow I'll be able to... yay!
Hedya
Hedya
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowWake Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:57 am

Ok guys, OOC is up!

At the Edge of the World OOC

Don't worry, Hedya. I'm not putting a time-limit on this, so whenever you can is cool with me. Smile
ShadowWake
ShadowWake
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedya Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:39 pm

I know, I was just informing... by the way, I'm here! Rolling Eyes
Hedya
Hedya
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowWake Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:54 pm

Yay! Very Happy Lol. In case you didn't know, I'm here too, though maybe not in mind... XD
ShadowWake
ShadowWake
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedya Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:31 am

Yay!

Might you be, by any chance, the famous mindless ShadowWake? Oh noez, bring the original baack!~ Rolling Eyes
Hedya
Hedya
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowWake Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:35 am

Hahaha! Atrox ShadowWake, brain torn apart by the Rau-lass!!

(Sorry Diodri - prev RP context) Laughing

The original's here - just smothered. Smile
ShadowWake
ShadowWake
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hedya Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:37 am

Gaaaaahh *hides behind a tree*

Glad you're back! We were all fooled by the Atrox ShadowWake!
Hedya
Hedya
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down