FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Avatar: The Last Airbender ((May Contain Spoilers))

+8
Inerio
Ehoron
Sighlent
Kaislynn
Fate Flyer
Gunneh
Lara
Kathryn Lacey
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Avatar: The Last Airbender ((May Contain Spoilers)) - Page 2 Empty Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender ((May Contain Spoilers))

Post by Inerio Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:13 pm

Oh! But I am, with my Dad. XD My Dad and I bonded so much over that show. Hell, the whole family did.

I hope they make another season, if I'm correct they didn't get to a fourth book.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Avatar: The Last Airbender ((May Contain Spoilers)) - Page 2 Empty Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender ((May Contain Spoilers))

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:14 pm

Oh! That would be cool if they enhanced Zuko's scar with special effects.

Aww, that's so sad that Momo won't be in it. Is it just because it would require too much CG work and artists they don't want to hire? Poor Momo. So, I'm guessing Momo just won't be a part of the movies at all?
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:16 pm

They should have just made Momo a normal lemur. Sure, he wouldn't fly. But I'd like a non flying Momo over no momo.

I'm more concerned over who's going to be cast as Uncle Iroh. He was one of my favorite characters so they better do him justice!
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:23 pm

The cast is pretty much already out. Here's the link. Just look under Casting.

http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/The_Last_Airbender

Shaun Toub will play Iroh.

I'm pretty sure it's because of the CG effects they'd have to do. I don't think Momo would be the same if he couldn't fly, and he doesn't really look like a regular lemur at all. I think I'd rather have no Momo than some impostor...

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:25 pm

.....O.o
That man better put on some damn weight. The Iroh in my head is fat. Fat and jolly, much like Santa.
-edit-
Momo actually does resemble a certain kind of lemur. Its name escapes me at the moment but it used to be featured on a children's show. Minus the ears and wings it would be an accurate portarly. It couldn't be any worse than making everyone so "un-Asian". Still, I'd rather see a movie with the cast now than no movie at all.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:09 am

Yeah. I guess so.

I'm willing to bet that they're going to have a thin Iroh for this movie trilogy. =\

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:11 am

No! I forbid it! Fat Iroh goddamnit!
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:16 am

I don't think it will make a huge character difference for him to be thin. He wasn't always fat. He seriously toned up in the third season, and I'm willing to bet he would stay that way. He'll still be cooky and grandfatherly and wise, but he just won't be fat. I have no problems with that.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:18 am

Inerio wrote:.....O.o
Momo actually does resemble a certain kind of lemur. Its name escapes me at the moment but it used to be featured on a children's show. Minus the ears and wings it would be an accurate portarly. It couldn't be any worse than making everyone so "un-Asian". Still, I'd rather see a movie with the cast now than no movie at all.

Are you talking about "Zoboomafoo" by any chance? Very Happy This is the lemur that was on the show, though he's probably way too big to pass for a good Momo.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:46 pm

YES!
ZABOOMAFO! Oh my god that show. I loved that show.
Eh, Iroh should be fat, Aang should be asian, Zuko should probably be Japanese, and Sokka needs a goddamn tan. But, you know what? They don't have that. It's going to be different, and the inner ass-tard in me is coming to terms with it.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:11 pm

That man that's playing Iroh is pretty thin... O_o I do agree with the racism though from that Avatar Wikia page. I do find it odd to think of these characters as Caucasian, especially Iroh. He's obviously a Chinese man.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:49 pm

I feel obligated to preface this with the fact that I think all in all that M. Night will ruin this in the same fashion he's ruined all of his other movies recently, buuuuut...

The actors might have been chosen more on their ability to fulfill the role rather than race. For example, I remember there was a lot of hubub about the way that Brandon Routh looked in his Superman outfit before Superman Returns. I myself thought that it was going to terribly suck, but honestly, Routh did a pretty amazing job, and more astoundingly, actually ACTED almost exactly the way that Christopher Reeve had portrayed it in the original movies, so much so that it was uncanny.

So, there is a possibility that it's just a matter of their ability to act like the characters. After all, M. Night isn't actually Caucasian himself, so I'd be kinda surprised if he was racist in favor of them. *shrugs*

That being said, yeah, I still predict suckage of black hole proportions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:54 pm

That's what I thought. M. Night is Indian or something. Besides, being multiracial, the whole race thing doesn't exactly phase me because I run into it daily. Besides, saying that the casting is racist because it doesn't show the right race is in a way being racist.

That's why I'm keeping my mouth shut till the movie comes out. I'll make my opinions in the theater. I know if I go into it biased I'm going to come out with a biased opinion which may ruin an otherwise good movie experience for me.

But, if we're ignoring race for this series, I would totally want Morgan Freemon as Roku. Don't ask why, I could just see it.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:25 pm

I just find it odd that this all takes place in an old China setting (obviously), but the characters are not Chinese or Asian. I know that M. Night himself is not Caucasian, and I'm not saying he, himself, is racist (as I know very little about him), and I doubt really anyone involved (such as the casting agents) are truly racist people. I just feel that the setting will be a little be ruined, for me anyway, since it'll be much less authentic, especially as having truly visualized these characters as being Chinese. In other words, it will be harder to accept the actors for the characters they are playing.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:57 pm

Have you actually seen Shaun Toub? I don't think he's Caucasian. He's probably a mixture of things, but he looks like his heritage stems from the Middle East.

I honestly, throughout the first season and half of the second season, thought that Aang was supposed to be white until I realizes whities don't exist in that world. I also thought Suki and Tai Lee were white for a while, but I've been corrected and such.

Anyway, I think the guy playing Aang looks as much like the character as you can get in real life. He was also awesome with martial arts before the whole boot camp martial arts training they all had to go through.

I'm actually glad that they're having a more diverse cast. If I remember this correctly, all of the characters in the series looked like they came from China, Japan, Vietnam, etc. The only person who didn't was Guru Pathik who looked and sounded Indian. I'm glad they're including all sorts of different races for the movie, but I'm still pissed about Katara and Sokka being white. I'm cool with Aang being white, and I'm fine with Zuko being Indian, but I'm irritated that the Water Tribe pair not being Native American or Latino. I don't care if I sound racist.

Jonathan mentioned this to me last night. He told me that the film is just going to piss me off because I have certain expectations that I want fulfilled, and I get angry if they're not. I'm going to try to enter the theatre with an open mind, but I know I'll be sad if the acting sucks. I think I can live with other changes if they're not too horrendously terrible.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:21 pm

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Jonathan was right Kathryn.

Honestly I'm a severe Twifan. I was one of the ones who waited feverishly for the second book before it was even released. One of the originals who loved the book before they slapped on a pretty face and added sparkly CG. And to see what it's become...some sort of sacrilegious scandal...it broke my heart! These movies completely debased the true brilliance that Stephenie Meyer laced tediously within the pages of her books. I'm ashamed of it because you here the name Twilight and either you get a bunch of squealing girls or haters who won't even give the books a chance because they think it's 'gay.'

People will never know how great the original Twilight...not the one the cut and pasted until there was hardly anything left for the movie...truly is all because of some pretty boy who probably should of stuck with his dead character in Harry Potter.

Do I hate Robert Pattinson for being gorgeous, no. He can't help it. I just hate that because he is gorgeous how something so pure and innocent was over proportioned until the idea of trying to like it just seemed almost unbearable.

Sometimes when I actually go back and read the books I can't help but get so upset and wonder what Stephenie probably thinks of it. Sure, she's famous! But I know if one of my most prized pieces became something so disfigured the fame wouldn't even be worth it anymore. It would just be some book to everyone and it's meaning would be nothing. The only reason why anyone would care was because of some guy. And everything I would have worked so hard for would no longer seem so great.

Anyway...done ranting. I hope I made my point though. ^_^
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:09 pm

This is different, though. More people will probably watch a television series after it's movie counterpart than read a book after it's movie counterpart because it requires less thought.

Avatar is already incredibly freaking popular, and I'm sure the movie will only make it more popular. However, I don't think the fame of the movie is really going to destroy the series. I don't think it's possible.

The Twilight series was already filled with haters and teenie boppers before the movies were even a thought in anyone's mind. In fact, I don't think you can have any sort of series without those two extremes, whether the series is amazing or made of fail... soooo... yeah.

I like to think Avatar has more people who are in the middle of those two extremes, though.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:12 pm

You forget that not only does Avatar have a large range from super hater to super fan, it also catches a wide age ranges.

Children as young as five or younger all the way up to people in their forties and fifties love the show. I watched the show with my father and little brother, some days it was all we would talk about. I think the bonding experience that it gave some people also makes the fan base stronger.

You know what though? I would like to see what the hell happened to Ursa before I see an Avatar movie. >/
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:42 pm

Actually, people beyond their fifties watch it. I've watched it with my grandmother, and she admitted to me that she sometimes watches it on her own when I'm at work and such. She's sixty-four.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:45 pm

See!
That only expands my point! It appeals to all age groups.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:07 pm

Totally. Different characters also tend to appeal to different age groups. My grandma's favorite character is Iroh. ^^_^^ However, he was my favorite character until the third season when his role lessened and Zuko took over as my favorite.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:16 pm

I think it's really amazing that Avatar can appeal to such a variety of people. Smile It's easy to see why though.

Tony's favorite character is Iroh too! ^^ I probably like Zuko the most, but Momo and Appa are up there really high as well.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:48 pm

I can't choose a favorite! D:
It think my top are Iroh, Sokka, and Zuko, oh! And Toph!
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:38 pm

I know Zuko, Iroh, and Katara are my top favorites, but I seriously love all of them... even Aang after a fashion.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:44 pm

Zuko, but I assume most here already knew that *LOL*

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:48 pm

: O
ORLY? I wouldn't have guessed.
*grumble*thinkshe'ssocoolcausehecanmakebigwordyposts*grumble*IcanmakewordypoststooiIwanted*grumble*
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:54 pm

FYI, he doesn't just think it. He is. ^o_~^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:56 pm

> I
*grumble*Katandhertwocentsworth*grumble* AND DAMMIT I STILL NEED TO KNOW WHAT HAPPEN TO URSA!!!*beats the infamous dead horse continuously*
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:02 pm

*Fakes a dumb look* wait, uh, wasn't Ursa a bear?

*runs before I can be hurt for the punniness* MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next