FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello?

+14
Shekinah
Kaito
Hello Danger
The Ghost Writer
Guilty Carrion
DracoMalfoy
Entity of Sin
Gadreille
Sunwolf007
Dio the Awesome
Knifey Keith
Kalon Ordona II
Digital Muse
Tartra
18 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Hello?  - Page 2 Empty Re: Hello?

Post by Knifey Keith Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:57 pm

Gadreille wrote:He's just jealous of my access to good Mexican cuisine; don't mind him.

You people never invite me to your parties.

So I'm stuck eating my mothers shitty Goulyas.

Edit: Awwww fuuuck! I had a burrito again! It wasn't as good as my first one but it was still pretty nice.
Knifey Keith
Knifey Keith
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Sunwolf, I will of course join if you get it going Smile

Keith: Awwww man, I'm sorry. Next time I hire a mariachi band I'll write you an invite.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:35 pm

I appreciate that! So that's 2 for joining me in my project Asylum. I wonder if we could get some others to join us as well? Any ideas how?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Post by Entity of Sin Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:26 am

Sunwolf actually sent me a PM (I don't even come to this site nor do I know who Sunwolf is) so I guess I'll give my two cents about this.

I'm actually working on creating my own website with WordPress for my YouTube, Live Stream (haven't made an account for it yet), and for my company that I'm going to start once I get out of university with my Business Administration degree; which will be in about 3.5 to 4 years.

Cutting to the point: I've had a lot of people show interest in me providing a place for creative and collaborative writing; which everyone should know is what roleplaying primarily is. I have no problem with this, it's just things take a while to get put together before I can actually show anything to anyone. I haven't started working on the website yet (I have someone helping me get some of the initial core work done) and am incredibly new to the entire web development scene.

Essentially the website is for tabletop gaming and video games that my company will, throughout its life time, design, develop, produce, and distribute digitally. I don't see anything wrong with including a section on the website and the forums for roleplaying.

However, don't actually hold your breathe with me getting all this setup. Things like my company's website I'm extremely serious about. Kalon can kind of back me up on some of this since I've mentioned a little about it to him over Skype.

But if anyone wants to help me create my company's WordPress website, I'm more than happy to get a hold of vBulletin software and create some forums. Just PM me because I'm not going to be actively checking this thread. You can also get a hold of me through Kalon if needed.
Entity of Sin
Entity of Sin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:46 am

That Sunwolf was me, lol. I figured I would try and see what everyone thought by PMing the ones who have logged in to the site in the last three months. I guess it worked since we got a new voice in the thread. That site does sound pretty awesome. Good luck with your web site idea!

My plan (for the site I was creating) was to see if there would be enough interest in a site based off from FoG. I was hoping to get a few of the members from here to agree to come over to start things off on the right foot. Was hoping some of the members I PMed would be excited enough about the Idea to join so we could continue on the great legacy of FoG.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entity of Sin Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:05 am

I can't promise anything now or in the future when it comes to supporting the site or promoting it. I'm sure Kalon will keep tabs on it since he's a huge advocate of writing and enjoys it a lot more than me; which isn't a lot since I no longer enjoy roleplaying or other forms of writing.

Good luck with your site idea as well! I'm sure with the proper support it will be successful. Also, do keep in mind that there is absolutely no way around real success and results without first putting in a lot of hard work.
Entity of Sin
Entity of Sin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:10 am

I have a pretty good idea what it takes to run a site. I use to be an Admin with a buddy of mine on a different forum. It takes a lot of work, which is why I liked just chilling in the background here. But if I can put my skills to work to ensure that a site like FoG exists then I should do so. My web friend and I are already making plans on how to accomplish this new site's creation. We are very aware it'll take a lot of effort but it'll be worth it if we get enough FoGers that want to join.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entity of Sin Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:14 am

Well then I kind of envy you. I'll be managing a live stream, YouTube channel, day to day business operations, and a website along with anyone I decide to hire.

Shit, that just sounds stressful now.. x.x

Worth it though.
Entity of Sin
Entity of Sin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:19 am

At least you get to chose who you hire! Who you work with is half the battle when it comes to a job. If you hate the people you work with it sucks to go to work. If you like them then its way easier.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entity of Sin Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:38 am

I've learned a lot from my business classes, managers I've seen at companies, managers I've worked under, and just companies in general in how they operate. One thing I've noticed is you need to have a lot of productive activity within the company that moves product, moves content, moves whatever that needs to move out the door for the customer. Whatever that is can be a tangible object (a good) or something intangible (a service).

The same can be said about internet community sites, like roleplaying sites. I know this perceptive on a RP site is a little odd, but looking at it like a business can help. Your product is a service that provides a place for people to openly and freely roleplay with other people and collaborate on creating wondrous story. Providing features that aid in keeping the writers on the site, active, and encouraging them to be more engaged with other aspects of the site, such as looking at people's artwork, which is a huge incorporating factor that brings roleplays alive.

If you're lucky you might be able to get some people that know how to create things in Java or HTML5 and potentially create an on-site game, like a card game or board game, that can be played with other people on the site. It's definitely a possibility.

Just have to keep in mind that the standard roleplaying site are a dime a dozen. FOG is a nice example of that. A lot can be learned from this site. Smile
Entity of Sin
Entity of Sin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DracoMalfoy Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:06 am

I've been lurking since the "plunge" FoG took recently, and I think I'll just throw my two cents in.  I've been here for quite some time now, and I did love the atmosphere FoG provided.  You lot are some of the nicest I've seen on a site, even if I'm not social enough to seek you all out and write alongside you.  But, a site with a community like this one is a site I wouldn't mind being a part of.

I can't promise any contribution besides my membership to a new site.  I don't have impressive skills or the money to make it happen, but, I think you guys have already discussed and covered that.  I tend to join sites alongside my close friends and usually just stick to them like glue.  But, if you get this idea off the ground, I have no problem signing up and doing my best to kick activity off.  I wasn't FoG's social butterfly, but I can promise you I'll give it my best effort...which isn't much of a promise at all, but, yeah.

All this to say, I'm still alive; I'm not fan of writing with large groups, but if you successfully got a site up and running, I'd give you my membership.  Sorry I can't be much more of a help than that.  But, I'm willing to see where this idea goes; despite anyone's efforts, or lack thereof, it's a shame that this site has withered away.  I'd like a new environment to call my home, even if I'm not always friendly with the neighbors. ^_^
DracoMalfoy
DracoMalfoy
Shadow
Shadow

Male

http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1634981/w-allman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guilty Carrion Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:54 am

I have been called, and so I come.

And...I don't honesty think I'd get involved with the project, I'm afraid. I'm a primarily single site Role-player, with noted exceptions, but seeing as I myself joined RPH not that long ago, I'm not exactly looking for another fresh stomping ground to christen my boots.

I understand the intentions behind the concept, but I question their validity. Obviously this site meant a lot to each of it's members and we've all had our own fair share of memories here, but I think there's merit to understanding when something is...done.

By all means, pursue this new site, and I wish you the best of luck, but I don't think creating it as a 'FoG II' is a good reason to take upon that work load. Cherish this place for what it was worth, because if it's simply remade, it's bound to go the way it's predecessor has gone.

But feel free to disregard this. I am slightly notorious for my negative head-space, and this likely wasn't what you were seeking when you contacted me.

I believe those are my thoughts on this in it's entirety, but if there's anything else, feel free to ask or cajole me. I still visit occasionally, so I'll reply if I am addressed.

And Gad; we're still gonna have to finally see something to conclusion someday. It's only a matter of time.
Guilty Carrion
Guilty Carrion
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:14 am

"A bullet in the brain. That's how this story ends, Guilty Carrion."
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:21 am

Entity of Sin wrote:Just have to keep in mind that the standard roleplaying site are a dime a dozen. FOG is a nice example of that. A lot can be learned from this site. Smile
I agree with you there! When making a site a lot of the success depends on the 'brand name' you are ;selling'. If you site doesn't fit your theme then it looks funny and people wont join. Also if the site fits your theme its easier to advertise to other people. After I get it off the ground I would have to work on improving it based on the members suggestions to get a truly unique site that will then be a unique theme that will draw in more people.

DracoMalfoy wrote:All this to say, I'm still alive; I'm not fan of writing with large groups, but if you successfully got a site up and running, I'd give you my membership.  Sorry I can't be much more of a help than that.  But, I'm willing to see where this idea goes; despite anyone's efforts, or lack thereof, it's a shame that this site has withered away.  I'd like a new environment to call my home, even if I'm not always friendly with the neighbors. ^_^
All I would be needing from you is to create an account on Asylum and post. In fact all I would be needing from anyone is to get a membership and post on Asylum. To get the site off the ground I need people to fill up the forum with posts so when I start putting links out there to get views it doesn't look like a dead or dying site. Trust me, posting topics will be plenty of help!

Guilty Carrion wrote:I have been called, and so I come.

And...I don't honesty think I'd get involved with the project, I'm afraid. I'm a primarily single site Role-player, with noted exceptions, but seeing as I myself joined RPH not that long ago, I'm not exactly looking for another fresh stomping ground to christen my boots.

I understand the intentions behind the concept, but I question their validity. Obviously this site meant a lot to each of it's members and we've all had our own fair share of memories here, but I think there's merit to understanding when something is...done.

By all means, pursue this new site, and I wish you the best of luck, but I don't think creating it as a 'FoG II' is a good reason to take upon that work load. Cherish this place for what it was worth, because if it's simply remade, it's bound to go the way it's predecessor has gone.

But feel free to disregard this. I am slightly notorious for my negative head-space, and this likely wasn't what you were seeking when you contacted me.

I believe those are my thoughts on this in it's entirety, but if there's anything else, feel free to ask or cajole me. I still visit occasionally, so I'll reply if I am addressed.

And Gad; we're still gonna have to finally see something to conclusion someday. It's only a matter of time.
I am glad you stopped by to give me your input.  If you don’t feel that this will work because you’re a one site RPer then I get that.  I too, am like that.  But I don’t think I made myself clear enough in the PM about the Asylum site.  It will be something of my creation that is totally new and different than FoG.  The only thing that will be the same is the feel of the site and it will be powered by the same forum program.  I will be sure to post a link on RPH if I get the site up so if you change your mind you can check us out.  Good luck with getting that ever elusive completed RP!
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entity of Sin Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:29 pm

Now here's a question to a problem you're going to face on a regular basis until the site is self-sustaining: how are you going to convince people to register on the site to roleplay on it???

I would be extremely weary of any kind of posting standard for roleplays. People actually hate it when they're forced to have to write two, three, or even four paragraphs that meet the roleplaying standards of the site. That's what this site does and honestly it doesn't work. This site was constructed originally around standards and ideals from Gaia Online. I think it would be strongly recommended to stay away from such standards and ideals.

I'm not trying to suggest not having standards because there should be some kind of standards and usually if you just follow the simple fundamentals and principles of roleplay you'll be fine. The basics are all you need really because simple works.

Also, don't have some kind of bullshit rule like FOG has where anything you post up on the site is property of the site. Not sure if that kind of rule is still listed on FOG but don't ever have something absolutely moronic on the site. You shouldn't be worried about intellectual property being stolen on a website that won't get into the tens of thousands for a very long time.
Entity of Sin
Entity of Sin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Ghost Writer Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Behold, it is I, The Ghost Writer.

RPH is run by myself (RecAgenda) and Sai Rhavan; partnered with Omni Labs and Dance Team Patrick (Gunneh & Friends). We'd be happy to help you out and spread word about your project, Sun. I believe all role players should be free to network and float from site to site.

Let me know when "Asylum" is operational.

...What is up with this blinding-ass-white text editor?
The Ghost Writer
The Ghost Writer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:48 pm

Entity of Sin wrote:
I would be extremely weary of any kind of posting standard for roleplays. People actually hate it when they're forced to have to write two, three, or even four paragraphs that meet the roleplaying standards of the site. That's what this site does and honestly it doesn't work. This site was constructed originally around standards and ideals from Gaia Online. I think it would be strongly recommended to stay away from such standards and ideals.

I haven’t decided what type of requirements will be created for Asylum. I know the requirements for this site never were a problem for me, but that is because I can be a bit wordy, lol.  I will take it under advisement but I know there will be some type of length requirement because I don’t think we will be catering to the newbies in RPing.  I think, like FoG, we will be going after the accomplished RPers who don’t do one or two sentence posts. I do agree that FoG’s length requirements were very specific and might be a little too detailed for an RP site.  But now that you mention it, I think I should work on the rules and get those in order soon.

Entity of Sin wrote:
Also, don't have some kind of bullshit rule like FOG has where anything you post up on the site is property of the site. Not sure if that kind of rule is still listed on FOG but don't ever have something absolutely moronic on the site. You shouldn't be worried about intellectual property being stolen on a website that won't get into the tens of thousands for a very long time.
Honestly that kind of bugged me too.  I am going to see if that is a forumoution rule or a FoG rule.  If it’s a forumoution rule than I can’t really get around it but if it is a FoG rule then I will not keep it.

The Ghost Writer wrote:Behold, it is I, The Ghost Writer.

RPH is run by myself (RecAgenda) and Sai Rhavan; partnered with Omni Labs and Dance Team Patrick (Gunneh & Friends). We'd be happy to help you out and spread word about your project, Sun. I believe all role players should be free to network and float from site to site.

Let me know when "Asylum" is operational.

...What is up with this blinding-ass-white text editor?

Thanks Ghost Writer!  I am sure I will be asking you a few questions every once in a while.  It’s been a while since I was an Admin so any help and advice you can offer I would greatly appreciate it.  I will also make sure a link to your site is on mine once it is operational.  It would be great if we could partner up once Asylum is up and running. As for the blinding-ass-white text editor I have no idea. That must be a new ‘feature’ that I am finding to be quite annoying.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Entity of Sin Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:27 pm

Sunwolf, the thing about newbies is they have room to grow. Having a website that is open to all frames of writing skill will foster a lot of activity. You can't sell someone short because they fall short on writing in a roleplay. Getting them to grow their skills in something they like doing through encouragement, mentoring, and educating the person can help bring them up to speed with the more skilled writers.

Try not to devalue them so quickly. Also, if you can get them to at least write a decent sized paragraph worth of sentences plus any dialogue that's needed, I think that's a minimum bar of standards worth shooting for. It isn't unreasonable either to recommend that to people since everyone should be more than capable (newbie and experienced alike) to write a single paragraph of story.
Entity of Sin
Entity of Sin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:29 pm

I don't know what's up with the text editor.
Anyway, I'm still "technically" on hiatus, but I couldn't look into it if I tried. *shrug* Just a lowly OOC mod here.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:45 pm

Sad to see FOG dead. Lots of fond writing memories here; thank you to all who contributed to them.

edit-
I like your efforts Sunwolf. I'll respond on facebook to see how I can help.
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:14 pm

Holy crap. A lot of people (like 5) suddenly zoomed back. It's good to recognize some old names.

Hey Sunwolf, have you PM'd everyone you were going to, or do you need help on that front? I think it would be a good idea to dig a little deeper than 'was around three months ago'. You might want to try sending out messages to anyone who has shown considerable activity, perhaps more than X number of posts. I know me personally was gone for over a year before I wandered back. Maybe others would feel that was too.

One of the things I appreciated on FoG was the 'commitment to quality' I'll call it. While specific post lengths sort of bothered me, (I consider myself a skilled writer, and I had trouble filling the length myself), what attracted me to FoG in the first place was this tone. I would like to see that maintained on the new site.

If there's anything I can help with, beyond just signing up, let me know.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Knifey Keith Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:36 pm

Why is it when a site is dying… Everyones solution is to make a thread and talk shit.

Just RP.

Knifey Keith
Knifey Keith
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:01 pm

Agreed.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Knifey Keith Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:04 pm

Gadreille wrote:Agreed.

Any ideas Gadsalot?

Knifey Keith
Knifey Keith
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:11 pm

For a role play? Not too much. I don't have a lot of time on my hands so it would have to be something simple.

For saving fog website stuff? Nooot particularly.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Knifey Keith Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:13 pm

I meant the first one… I can do simple.

Thats actually something I myself have had in mind.
Knifey Keith
Knifey Keith
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Post an int check in private or casual role playing!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:18 pm

Entity of Sin wrote:Sunwolf, the thing about newbies is they have room to grow. Having a website that is open to all frames of writing skill will foster a lot of activity. You can't sell someone short because they fall short on writing in a roleplay. Getting them to grow their skills in something they like doing through encouragement, mentoring, and educating the person can help bring them up to speed with the more skilled writers.

Try not to devalue them so quickly. Also, if you can get them to at least write a decent sized paragraph worth of sentences plus any dialogue that's needed, I think that's a minimum bar of standards worth shooting for. It isn't unreasonable either to recommend that to people since everyone should be more than capable (newbie and experienced alike) to write a single paragraph of story.
I believe you to be right EoS. You are also not the only one who has mentioned this to me so I think I will add a more lax area on Asylum for the newer RPers. Its not that I devalue newbies its just that at FoG there were never any of those annoying ones who didn’t know what they were doing and it made it nice because I came from RPGFO and there was a constant stream of newbies that couldn’t write or RP very well. They would always find my RP and then kill it by joining and disappearing after a few weeks or through poor writing kill any fun to be had. I think if I limit it to just one section of the site it will be fine. Plus, like RoS pointed out, it could increase the number of new members. I would have to come up with a reasonable limit on the post length but I think that might be easily done.

Glad to see you on board Danger. I look forward to seeing you on the new site and would value any suggestions you have.

Dio, if you believe that messaging some of the more well established members about Asylum will help than please do so. I also believe that the new site should maintain its commitment to fostering excellent RPers but also feel that EoS is right so we should open it up to newbies. I am thinking I will have three different areas to cover all the skill levels (beginner, intermediate, advanced). That way we can keep the commitment to good writing but also open it up to newer RPers. The only way to get better at RPing is to actually do RPs.

Keith I do agree that activity on a site that is dying is important but I don’t think that it will help us in this case. Without access to the admin profile we can’t make any changes to the site. That means the links that are now broken due to the forum reverting to its forumotion web addy can’t be fixed. No changes can be made to the site at all which is not a good situation for FoG members to be in if they are trying to save the site. Without access to the admin account the site is basically unfixable if any problems or changes happen. This is why on the Asylum site the admin account wont be a personal account and all the admins on the site will have the password to it so that if I am unable to be online for a period of time another admin can take my place.

I got enough interest to warrant my involvement in the project so now this new site is happening. I don’t yet have a timetable on when it will be operational but I will keep everyone in the loop on this. My web friend and I have been doing some work on it and have been making some progress. It’s looking good so far but we hit a bit of a snag today. His computer isn’t working which means we have no one to do images on Photoshop. I need someone who can create the new images for the site. Anyone have any suggestions?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:21 pm

This was in response to Keith, saying the solution was just to roleplay:

I'm sorry, but the issue runs much deeper than that, clearly.

30 people have been online since Thrusday.  This topic, the one we are in right now, is the ONLY topic that has been posted in in the last week.  The next closest topic was posted in on July 9th.

So people are around, that's not really the issue.  The issue is that people have no desire to make posts, even when there is only one active topic.

And frankly, that frustrates me.  If anyone here cared about this site, they log on, and see only ONE new post, and they don't even bother to comment, then why hang around?
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Knifey Keith Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:31 pm

Dio the Awesome wrote:This was in response to Keith, saying the solution was just to roleplay:

I'm sorry, but the issue runs much deeper than that, clearly.

30 people have been online since Thrusday.  This topic, the one we are in right now, is the ONLY topic that has been posted in in the last week.  The next closest topic was posted in on July 9th.

So people are around, that's not really the issue.  The issue is that people have no desire to make posts, even when there is only one active topic.

And frankly, that frustrates me.  If anyone here cared about this site, they log on, and see only ONE new post, and they don't even bother to comment, then why hang around?

So your plan is to change people's energy level and mindset?

The amount of RPs that I've started and have died to peoples laziness and loss of interest is considerable. Unfortunately thats some of the kinds of people who join this site.

If you're suggesting we ban them, I'm all for it. But that might not go down well with everyone else…
Knifey Keith
Knifey Keith
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum: