FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best!

5 posters

Go down

[Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! Empty [Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best!

Post by Nation Sun May 13, 2012 11:53 am

[Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! Pokemon_logo
I Wanna Be The Very Best![Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! Pokeball

In a world corrupted by greed, Trainers from around the world still hold one relic from the past dear - catching and training Pokemon. Unfortunately, due to Team Rocket's criminal activities, even this age-old tradition is in risk of disappearing.

Set 26 years after Ash Ketchum and his longtime Rival Gary Oak journeyed on their quest to be the very best, Trainers still view the practice of capturing and training Pokemon as both tradition and a teenager's rite of passage. Due to technological advancement, Trainers typically start their foray into Pokemon in Fuchsia City or Vermilion City, if they are situated within the Kanto region. Alternatively, they begin in Cianwood City or Azalea Town if they are from Johto.

After the Kanto government declared Team Rocket enemies of the state, Team Rocket moved their headquarters into Johto and began plotting numerous schemes involving financial fraud and violence using and directed at Pokemon. However, approximately 8 years ago, Team Rocket began the corporate buyout and eventual takeover of Silph Co., the largest and most prominent manufacturer of Pokemon-related technology in the world. Although their crime is concentrated more so in Johto, Team Rocket's reach through Silph Co. in Kanto is ever-present.

In what would eventually be dubbed as The Pokemon Purge, Team Rocket, using their newly-established connections and influence within Silph Co., managed to steal thousands of Pokemon from unsuspecting Trainers and citizens alike. Pokemarts all over Johto and Kanto began selling Silph Co.'s new product: Champion Pokeballs - cheap to produce, extremely cheap to purchase and guaranteed to catch virtually any Pokemon without having to go through that inconvenient process of weakening the Pokemon first and then trying to catch it and hoping for success. For all intents and purposes, Team Rocket made Master Balls accessible to the average Joe. But there was a defect with the Champion Pokeballs; they would occasionally lock-up and Trainers would be unable to summon their Pokemon. Once members of the Elite 4 and various Gym Leaders were unable to recall their Pokemon, news of the defective Champion Pokeballs spread like wildfire. Under the guise of Silph Co., Team Rocket ordered a complete recall of every Champion Pokeball ever sold.

Trainers, Gym Leaders and virtually everyone within the two regions scrambled to the Silph Co. headquarters, stationed in both Goldenrod City and Cinnabar Island. The company promised they would correct the manufacturing issue and Trainers would be reunited with their Pokemon once said issue was resolved. The defective Champion Pokeballs were Team Rocket's true intention; they were now in possession of thousands of high-leveled and rare Pokemon. Team Rocket held the entire world by the throat.

[Suspension of Disbelief]

0.] Pokeballs are EXTREMELY rare due to recent events. Use them wisely if you ever come across one.
1.] Your Pokemon begin weak and by RPing eventually level and grow stronger.
2.] Gym Leaders and the Elite 4 were affected by The Pokemon Purge and have lost their once experienced Pokemon. They are now raising new Pokemon once more.
3.] Gym Leaders/Elite 4 grow alongside the RPers. If your first Gym battle is Koga in Fuchsia City, he will be weaker than if you fight Koga as your 5th Gym Leader.
4.] Due to Silph Co./Team Rocket's activities, transportation in the Pokeworld has been severely crippled and Trainers must walk/bike everywhere, although several sea-based modes of transportation such as boats are still available.
5.] Kanto-pokemon (151 in all) can only be caught in Kanto. Johto-pokemon (100 in all) can only be caught in Johto.

Code:
(PM me or Post here)
[B][U]Character Sign-up Sheet:[/U][/B]
[B]Name:[/B]
[B]Age:[/B]
[B]Gender:[/B]
[B]Specialty[/B]: Any Pokemon type/element/species your character specializes in? Optional.
[B]Appearance:[/B] (Optional. A picture will suffice.)
[B]Personality:[/B] Be detailed. 3 sentences is not detail.
[B]Starting Town:[/B] Fuchsia/Vermilion or Cianwood/Azalea.
[B]Starting Pokemon:[/B] (1)

Rules:
1. No Legendaries.
2. No Starters (including Pikachu/Eevee.)
3. No Evolved Pokemon.
4. No 3rd/4th/5th Gen Pokemon. Don't even ask.

--------------------------------------
Ran this on another site and it went pretty well. I'd love to try running it a 2nd time. Who's up for this RP? Cool

My CS, just for reference:

-
Spoiler:

Last edited by Nation on Mon May 14, 2012 2:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Nation
Nation
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

[Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! Empty Re: [Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best!

Post by Silvan Arrow Sun May 13, 2012 5:11 pm

Shocked

Even though I'm already in a bunch of other RPs, I am so, so very interested in a Pokemon one... I do have a couple of questions:

1) Are Trainers about to journey between Johto and Kanto, or will the RP restrict us to just the region in which we start?

2) Are evolution stones still available, or are they super rare and impossible to find after the Pokemon Purge?
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

[Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! Empty Re: [Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best!

Post by Nation Sun May 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Silvan Arrow wrote: Shocked

Even though I'm already in a bunch of other RPs, I am so, so very interested in a Pokemon one... I do have a couple of questions:

1) Are Trainers about to journey between Johto and Kanto, or will the RP restrict us to just the region in which we start?

Yup, you can travel between Kanto and Johto. If I get enough interest, this is actually explained in the OOC, but basically there are several ways to get from Johto<->Kanto.

2) Are evolution stones still available, or are they super rare and impossible to find after the Pokemon Purge?

Still around, but for sake of simplicity we can just assume that Pokemon that evolve with Fire/Thunder/whatever stones will evolve once they bond sufficiently with their Trainer (which translates into a few In-Character Pokemon battles .
Nation
Nation
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Sun May 13, 2012 10:45 pm

Well then, this just sounds splendid! Count me in! I hope the RP allows for our characters to cross paths and interact with each other as well, but I really love this story concept regardless. I tried a couple of Pokemon RPs on another site and a couple here, but they always fizzled out.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nation Sun May 13, 2012 11:55 pm

Silvan Arrow wrote:Well then, this just sounds splendid! Count me in! I hope the RP allows for our characters to cross paths and interact with each other as well,
I wouldn't have it any other way Wink
but I really love this story concept regardless. I tried a couple of Pokemon RPs on another site and a couple here, but they always fizzled out.
I have a system in place that will let me keep everything as organized as possible in this RP. Combined with a little bit of common sense and imagination, this "system" I crafted will ensure everyone has something to do in the RP at all times and nobody is left scratching their heads as to what to post next. Most RPs fizzle out, but I think if people give me this RP a chance, I can give them something they won't LET fizzle out."
Nation
Nation
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Mon May 14, 2012 12:03 am

Excellent! Well, here's to hoping you get some more interest! I really want this RP to get off the ground!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Many Sparrows Mon May 14, 2012 3:39 am

You've peaked my interest. The back story sounds interesting, pretty great. I would like to join, but I have to admit to being more of a casual literate. I always strive for proper grammar, however the length of my posts rarely exceed five to six paragraphs. I would love to join, but would this be a hindrance?
Many Sparrows
Many Sparrows
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nation Mon May 14, 2012 7:54 am

My CS just for reference:
Spoiler:

Silvan Arrow wrote:Excellent! Well, here's to hoping you get some more interest! I really want this RP to get off the ground!

Me too. At this point, I just need a few more people to say "hi, I'm in" because I literally have the OOC written out already from when I first ran this RP. tongue

Many Sparrows wrote:You've peaked my interest. The back story sounds interesting, pretty great. I would like to join, but I have to admit to being more of a casual literate. I always strive for proper grammar, however the length of my posts rarely exceed five to six paragraphs. I would love to join, but would this be a hindrance?

5-6 paragraphs is totally a decent amount, so no that definitely wouldn't be a hindrance. I'm more than faithful that you'd be able to develop my plot and your character with 5-6 paragraphs. Cool

Besides, I like when RPers can make big game moves and can keep stuff moving along. Detail is nice and all, but keeping the plot moving+characters developing > talking about the trees in Ilex Forest.

I've seen hyperliterate roleplayers take detail to the extreme and spend 2+ IC posts in a single area describing EVERYTHING.
Nation
Nation
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Mon May 14, 2012 9:56 am

Many Sparrows, just so you know, the minimum length for IC posts in the Advanced Section is 5 paragraphs/30 sentences. Since you said your posts were usually 5-6 paragraphs, you should be fine on post length.

Aaaaand now to start scheming up a character!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Many Sparrows Mon May 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Nation wrote:
5-6 paragraphs is totally a decent amount, so no that definitely wouldn't be a hindrance. I'm more than faithful that you'd be able to develop my plot and your character with 5-6 paragraphs. Cool

Besides, I like when RPers can make big game moves and can keep stuff moving along. Detail is nice and all, but keeping the plot moving+characters developing > talking about the trees in Ilex Forest.

I've seen hyperliterate roleplayers take detail to the extreme and spend 2+ IC posts in a single area describing EVERYTHING.

I have to admit, I have been one of those people -always overly describing every little thing- but I think I've cleaned up and developed my writing to were it's just enough (hopefully Razz)

Wonderful. I can't wait to start brainstorming my character. I'm excited to join and I hope we are able to find a few more people.

Silvan Arrow wrote:Many Sparrows, just so you know, the minimum length for IC posts in the Advanced Section is 5 paragraphs/30 sentences. Since you said your posts were usually 5-6 paragraphs, you should be fine on post length.

Aaaaand now to start scheming up a character!

Oh. I've just been lurking around the casual literate roleplays and have noticed the freakishly long posts, and I was a little wary. But, it's great to know that I'm already up to par, Very Happy . Thank you.

Now time to run off, research, and come up with a character.
Many Sparrows
Many Sparrows
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

[Pokemon] I Wanna Be The Very Best! Empty I'm Interested

Post by DreamlandDenizen Mon May 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Hi, I noticed this on Roleplay Gateway. I'm interested but admittedly my pokemon knowledge probably isn't up to snuff. Since you guys are only doing 1st and 2nd gen though I should be alright with a little bit of research to refresh my memory. If you'll have me, I'll get to work on a character sheet.

DreamlandDenizen
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Mon May 14, 2012 5:00 pm

I'll re-post this CS in the OOC thread, but here it is for reference. Please tell me if I need to change anything. Thanks!

Name: Seiko Nakamura
Specialty: Not particularly, but she tends to gravitate towards Fire Types

Appearance: Seiko stands about 5’6” and has a thin, petite frame. She’s not the most athletic person around because she was homeschooled and spent most of her time at home instead of playing sports with school kids. She has thin, light brown hair that hangs straight just below her chin and striking green eyes. She prefers to dress more girly in skirts, blousy tops, and sundresses. Her travel attire, however, consists of khaki shorts that come to her mid-thigh, a sea-foam green peasant top with white stitching around the neckline, and sneakers. She’ll obviously switch to jeans, long-sleeve shirts, and a jacket if the weather gets cold. Since she grew up in a warm coastal city and has very little body mass, she gets cold easily.

Personality:
Seiko was born in Vermilion City. Like many of the men in the city, her father worked as a sailor on a merchant vessel. Since his job forced him to be away for long periods of time, Seiko was raised mainly by her mother. She formed a very close with her mother, who taught her at home instead of sending her to school, and often missed her father. When she turned five, her father brought her a special present back from a voyage to Kanto, which was a pokeball containing a baby Growlithe. He knew Seiko spent a lot of time at home and wanted her to have a companion to protect her when he wasn’t around. Seiko and Growlithe, whom she named Gygax, bonded quickly and grew up together. Gygax went everywhere with Seiko and was always extremely protective. Because of her quiet nature, Seiko had trouble fitting in with the other children of the city, which was made even more difficult since she didn’t go to school with them. As a result, the other children often thought she was stuck-up and wouldn’t play with her. She managed to make one friend during her childhood, but she left when she turned ten to start a Pokemon journey. She invited Seiko to come with her, but Seiko knew it would grieve her mother to be alone and so stayed at home.

During the widespread use of Champion Pokeballs (prior to the Pokemon Purge), Seiko’s father received a promotion to a manager of a fleet of merchant ships, so he wouldn’t need to be gone all the time and could spend more time at home. When it became clear that Team Rocket had used the Champion Pokeballs to steal Pokemon, Seiko’s father retired from the merchant ship trade and took a manager position in Vermilion City overseeing construction. Fear held the city in its grip for months as trainers worried for the safety of their Pokemon, especially since Vermilion was such a major shipping center and saw so many people come and go. No one knew whom to trust. Eventually Seiko grew tired of living in fear and wanted to leave Vermilion City, see more places, and grow stronger with Gygax so they could protect themselves. While her parents were initially hesitant to let their only daughter leave home with Team Rocket still on the loose, they eventually gave her their blessing.

Overall, Seiko is a quiet, reserved girl. She left Vermilion City not to become the strongest Pokemon trainer but instead to gain more self-confidence as a person. She never really “left the nest” growing up, so now she hopes to form her own identity apart from just being the stay-at-home daughter. She is shy around new people because she doesn’t know what to say and fears saying the wrong thing. She is used to being alone with just Gygax for company and feels most confident when traveling and battling with her long-term partner.

Starting Town: Vermilion City

Starting Pokemon: Female Growlithe named Gygax

Gygax is the polar opposite of Seiko in terms of personality. Where Seiko is shy and reserved, Gygax is outgoing and not afraid to either show affection towards people she likes or growl at someone she doesn’t trust. She’s protective of Seiko, having grown up with her since they were both young, and often cuddles with her at nights when she gets cold. Gygax is still young and inexperienced in battle, but she’s tenacious and doesn’t give up easily.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guilty Carrion Mon May 14, 2012 10:45 pm

Well, I'm not overly fast as of late, but your recruitment attempt has borne fruit. I shall join this, if you shall have me.
Guilty Carrion
Guilty Carrion
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nation Tue May 15, 2012 1:40 am

DreamlandDenizen wrote:Hi, I noticed this on Roleplay Gateway. I'm interested but admittedly my pokemon knowledge probably isn't up to snuff. Since you guys are only doing 1st and 2nd gen though I should be alright with a little bit of research to refresh my memory. If you'll have me, I'll get to work on a character sheet.

Background knowledge of the Gen I and II games and anime (and the manga to some extent) will definitely help, but for the most part everything in this RP will be non-canon. If you need help with anything, I'm sure multiple Pokemaniacs (including myself) will be able to help you. Cool

Silvan Arrow wrote:I'll re-post this CS in the OOC thread, but here it is for reference. Please tell me if I need to change anything. Thanks!

Name: Seiko Nakamura
Specialty: Not particularly, but she tends to gravitate towards Fire Types

Appearance: Seiko stands about 5’6” and has a thin, petite frame. She’s not the most athletic person around because she was homeschooled and spent most of her time at home instead of playing sports with school kids. She has thin, light brown hair that hangs straight just below her chin and striking green eyes. She prefers to dress more girly in skirts, blousy tops, and sundresses. Her travel attire, however, consists of khaki shorts that come to her mid-thigh, a sea-foam green peasant top with white stitching around the neckline, and sneakers. She’ll obviously switch to jeans, long-sleeve shirts, and a jacket if the weather gets cold. Since she grew up in a warm coastal city and has very little body mass, she gets cold easily.

Personality:
Seiko was born in Vermilion City. Like many of the men in the city, her father worked as a sailor on a merchant vessel. Since his job forced him to be away for long periods of time, Seiko was raised mainly by her mother. She formed a very close with her mother, who taught her at home instead of sending her to school, and often missed her father. When she turned five, her father brought her a special present back from a voyage to Kanto, which was a pokeball containing a baby Growlithe. He knew Seiko spent a lot of time at home and wanted her to have a companion to protect her when he wasn’t around. Seiko and Growlithe, whom she named Gygax, bonded quickly and grew up together. Gygax went everywhere with Seiko and was always extremely protective. Because of her quiet nature, Seiko had trouble fitting in with the other children of the city, which was made even more difficult since she didn’t go to school with them. As a result, the other children often thought she was stuck-up and wouldn’t play with her. She managed to make one friend during her childhood, but she left when she turned ten to start a Pokemon journey. She invited Seiko to come with her, but Seiko knew it would grieve her mother to be alone and so stayed at home.

During the widespread use of Champion Pokeballs (prior to the Pokemon Purge), Seiko’s father received a promotion to a manager of a fleet of merchant ships, so he wouldn’t need to be gone all the time and could spend more time at home. When it became clear that Team Rocket had used the Champion Pokeballs to steal Pokemon, Seiko’s father retired from the merchant ship trade and took a manager position in Vermilion City overseeing construction. Fear held the city in its grip for months as trainers worried for the safety of their Pokemon, especially since Vermilion was such a major shipping center and saw so many people come and go. No one knew whom to trust. Eventually Seiko grew tired of living in fear and wanted to leave Vermilion City, see more places, and grow stronger with Gygax so they could protect themselves. While her parents were initially hesitant to let their only daughter leave home with Team Rocket still on the loose, they eventually gave her their blessing.

Overall, Seiko is a quiet, reserved girl. She left Vermilion City not to become the strongest Pokemon trainer but instead to gain more self-confidence as a person. She never really “left the nest” growing up, so now she hopes to form her own identity apart from just being the stay-at-home daughter. She is shy around new people because she doesn’t know what to say and fears saying the wrong thing. She is used to being alone with just Gygax for company and feels most confident when traveling and battling with her long-term partner.

Starting Town: Vermilion City

Starting Pokemon: Female Growlithe named Gygax

Gygax is the polar opposite of Seiko in terms of personality. Where Seiko is shy and reserved, Gygax is outgoing and not afraid to either show affection towards people she likes or growl at someone she doesn’t trust. She’s protective of Seiko, having grown up with her since they were both young, and often cuddles with her at nights when she gets cold. Gygax is still young and inexperienced in battle, but she’s tenacious and doesn’t give up easily.

Yup, exactly what I was looking for.
Accepted. Smile

Guilty Carrion wrote:Well, I'm not overly fast as of late, but your recruitment attempt has borne fruit. I shall join this, if you shall have me.

I'd love to. I figure we probably have enough to put up the OOC at the very least, although I'd like maybe 2-4 more RPers. I'll put OOC up soon.
Nation
Nation
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Nation Wed May 16, 2012 11:15 am

Nation
Nation
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down