FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rubric for Judging Contests or Role-Plays

Go down

Rubric for Judging Contests or Role-Plays Empty Rubric for Judging Contests or Role-Plays

Post by Christoph Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:12 pm

What is this? The FoG Rubric is a brand new feature to this site, designed to enhance its theme of literary excellence. Members may now submit completed threads to be reviewed using a detailed and comprehensive rubric (see below).

Why? Footsteps of Ghosts is a role-playing forum unashamed in its pursuit of quality. Many members are indeed aspiring authors. This new system provides valuable feedback to members who want it based on the fundamental components of literature. This should encourage and motivate our members to excel and complete threads, as well as foster some healthy, mature competition.

Who does the reviewing? We currently have two staff members waiting in the wings for review requests: Christoph (me) and my esteemed colleague Bird of Hermes. As the number of completed threads increases, more reviewers may be added.

Awesome! So how do I get my thread reviewed? First, as stated above, you must complete the thread in order to qualify (for tips on achieving this daunting task, see below). Second, you will need to gain permission from the other participants in the role-play. (Note: This will be ‘opt-out’ as opposed to ‘opt-in’, meaning that if a participant fails to respond one way or another within two weeks of contact being established, permission will be assumed granted and the thread can then be reviewed as normal. However, if the person has left FoG, and there is no other way to contact them, it is assumed that they have opted-out.) Next, you may want to proofread your posts, checking for errors or any other issues you may find. Finally, you need only post a link to your role-play in this thread, along with any brief comments you deem necessary. I will add it to the Pending list, and then the Completed list once reviewed.

Is there any limit? There is none as of yet. However, depending on the response and workload, we may establish a limit in the future. In general, members should reserve this for their best work.

What do I strive for? Any thread that scores a total of 80 or higher (out of 100) qualifies for the “FoG Excellence Award” and eternal placement in the Hall of Fame. Such an accomplishment will not come easy however, so do not get discouraged if you don’t to meet this benchmark right away. These trials will only serve to enhance the glory of finally achieving this ultimate goal.

Below you can find the FoG Rubric:

The Rubric:

A Guide to Finishing Threads

An RP must be complete in order to qualify for an official review. This may sound like a daunting prospect, but despair not! Below are a few pieces of advice to help our members finish their threads successfully.

*Set timeframes for posting -- This should go without saying. Make sure to have expectations clearly stated for timely posting before you begin. Also, before joining a role-play, make sure that you can reliably stick to the original poster’s requirements.

*Allow responsible “bunnying” -- “Bunnying” means to include the actions of multiple player-characters (usually two, but not always) in a single post. This allows rapid interactions such as combat and dialogue, the frequent culprits of bogged down RP progress, to proceed at much more desirable pace. Bunnying must never be done without the expressed permission of the other character’s player. Meeting in chats, using IM, or exchanging private messages are all great ways to organize such collaborations.

*Keep the story moving -- Too often, role-players get bogged down in the slower scenes of their stories. Others feel the need to play out every single thing "on screen". A key to actually finishing stories is to move past these points. Don't be afraid to skip over or summarize sections that seem boring or unnecessary. Move on to the next, more excited stages of the Role-play.

*Break stories into manageable chunks -- Epic storylines are awesome and highly encouraged. However, tales of such vast scope can take a very, very long time to finish, and often never do if players vanish in the middle. By conceiving smaller stories, especially if part of a larger whole, you will be more likely to finish threads.

Last edited by Christoph on Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:35 pm; edited 3 times in total
Christoph
Christoph
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down