FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays?

+5
Digital Muse
Ragter the junior greeter
Lara
Stion Gyas
Fate Flyer
9 posters

Go down

Do you like animal role-plays?

Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays? Votele1047%Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays? Voteri10 47% 
[ 7 ]
Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays? Votele1020%Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays? Voteri10 20% 
[ 3 ]
Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays? Votele1033%Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays? Voteri10 33% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 15

Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays? Empty Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays?

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:25 am

We all have slightly different to vastly different tastes when it comes to role-plays. Some of us like one genre or style, while others of us prefer another.

So, that being said, are you someone who enjoys role-playing as animals? Be them wolves, lions, horses, dragons, dinosaurs, sea creatures, monsters, rabbits, foxes, etc., do you like to take on characters that are animals and give them voices/humanize them?

I actually was a member of a Lion King message board when I was young called Lilymud, and people there role-played a lot of Lion King (of course) along with other animals, like wolves and such. So, since that's one of the first major places I role-played at, I do have a soft spot for animal role-plays. I've found though that not everyone enjoys those types of role-plays and would rather RP as humans (or humanoids).
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays? Empty Re: Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays?

Post by Guest Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:47 am

I enjoy adding animals to the cast, but as a main character? No.

Back to top Go down

Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays? Empty Re: Do you enjoy animal/creature role-plays?

Post by Stion Gyas Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:28 am

Not as a main character, no. I have done a couple with animal companions given a slightly higher intelligence, and one where a dragon NPC was a very important part of the story. I prefer humanoids.

Post Script: HK-47 rules, meatbag.

;o
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:37 am

Stion Gyas wrote:
Post Script: HK-47 rules, meatbag.

;o

Yeah, I felt it was time to let my inner assassin droid loose.

Observation: Not that any of you organic meatbags should worry. That would merely prolong the inevitable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:13 am

I never really realized it, but it seems like us animal RP lovers are pretty scarce. I definitely love to role-play as humans, and as of currently, I don't think I even have any animal characters. Perhaps it's more something that we do when we're younger.

When I started out role-playing, I did a lot of wolf RPs and Jurrassic Park RPs (but from the dinosaur's perspective). I remember have some velociraptor characters too. Actually, here's a picture that my friend drew for me of my main velociraptor character, Carn. XD Oh, and here's him with his mate, whose name switched between Ruby and Stealth lol.

So yeah, I was pretty big into playing animals back in the day. One type of animal RP that I never got to do though that I always wanted to was a dolphin/whale RP. I've always loved dolphins, but it's hard (it would seem) to find other RPers who love them and would want to do a RP of them too.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:33 am

Probably a big reason behind the lack of animal roleplayers is the fact that a lot of people consider it childish. Whenever I see "Animal RP" I think of Bambi frolicking in the forest with his rabbit friend, and it instantly turns me off. I guess I'm just one for grit.
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:40 am

That's probably too. It's seen as childish rather than a valid exploration of the psyche of a different species relying on different senses with different biological imperatives.

However, it makes for a good development exercise, so I wouldn't sneeze at it, personally. There are people who act like writing and RP are narrow-track things, neglecting to realize that just about everything they can do feeds into it. So a variety of explorations, such as animal RP, can't help but develop one's writing.

The first thing I thought in animal RP was some sort of predator, rather than Bambi, but it's not the most appealing sort of RP to me anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:03 pm

I still have a soft spot for wolf roleplays, Fate, so you're not alone~.

I don't think I could ever do an advanced version of one, with massively long posts and all, but yes, I've done many in the past. They were fun. Smile
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:33 pm

I've done only one animal roleplay, albeit the animals could talk in that one, and I have to say, it was really rather fun. Like Lara, I couldn't do an advanced rp of one, but could easily do a casual one.
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:30 pm

I don't like playing full animals. After all, communication is extremely difficult. However Lycanthrope or Pookah RPs can be very illuminating. I have found, however that few that play Werewolves are true to the wolf and more into the 'I look cool' part of it.
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Neschume Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:26 pm

I think animal role plays are really fun if their executed well. It really depends because there's so many different things you can do with them to make the role play different. You can make it difficult for the players to communicate (like Digital said) but it really depends on how you handle communication. In The Lion King all the animals could talk to each other and there was no problem with communication. You could, however, remove inter-species communications or communications at all (talking about English speaking here not other forms of communication) if you want to make it a bit more difficult.

Doing a werewolf RP would defeat the purpose of all animal because you would be human half the time but that's just me.

I would totally do a sea creature RP Fate but maybe if we added a bit of fantasy such as some new creatures under the sea. If you want more people that would probably be the way to go but there's already enough fun undersea life imo. Send me a PM if you wanna start one.
Neschume
Neschume
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:43 am

I'd do a casual undersea RP with ya, Fate! ^_^

I've never had an animal as a main character. I had a talking wolf as a side character, though. Well, not really TALKING...

Really the story I wrote for our Writing Contest here at FOG is the first major foray into the animal world. At least as far as serious writing. ^_^
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:17 am

I do agree that animal role-plays probably do come across as more of a thing younger role-players do (as obviously, I was really young when I started animal RPing on the Lion King board hehe). I still think it would be fascinating and interesting to see one done well.

Have any of you read the book Silverwing (or Firewing or Sunwing, the sequels)? That, today, is still one of my favorite books, and it's about a bat. I loved how that was executed. The writer was quite good and the story was engrossing, despite it being through the eyes of an animal. I'd still read it today and get into it, lol.

I've never thought of werewolf/lycan role-plays as animal ones, unless it's purely about the werewolves while they're transformed. Most werewolf lore though points to them not being able to speak while transformed, so that would be interesting and hard to role-play.

That's cool that some of you are actually interested in doing a sea creature RP. ^_^ I'd love to mix fantasy in there as well. (That kind of reminds me of Surface, a TV show that failed - but was extraordinarily good, in onenitedrive and my opinions - about undiscovered underwater creatures.)

Kalon -- I am shocked that you've never done an animal RP before! When I read your contest entry, I thought "Wow, this guy must have a lot of wolf RPs under his belt!" Seriously, that's amazing. Thumbs Up

If you guys are still interested, I'll let you know whenever I am free to cook up a sea creature RP. :]
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:04 pm

Oh wow Fate, the 'Wing books' are something I have read, and just remembered. I believe the first one started with the ancestor to the bats that used wind thermals or whatever to get up in the air, right?
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:16 pm

I think it was actually Loki's signature that inspired some of the story.
I've had ideas piling up for years about fog and wolves and stuff like that, (I just LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the image of a bunch of wolves running through a foggy forest by moonlight; and yes, I love it enough to type each of those O's ^_^). Being here at FOG, plus liking Loki's signature, kinda planted the seed. And I'm good at growing seeds into forests. xD

And undersea RP sounds like a real challenge, but I can just see societies of dolphins, kingdoms of whales, barbarian shark villains, and plenty of thugs like barracudas and eels. *wigs out* *grows a whole other section on his brain for ideas relating to such a RP*
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:05 pm

In all honesty, I don't think I've ever accomplished an actual role play with animal characters being the forefront. I don't actually like the idea of it.

I prefer to play humanoids, but I also like to play as humanoids who can shape-shift into animals. I have played as animals that way, and when they're animals, they lose their ability for true human thought, so they're like... animals who are animals and not humans who are animals. I even research an animal before I attach it to a character, so that when they are that animal, I know wtf I'm doing rather than butchering the animal instincts.

However, I don't like to be that animal for the whole role play. The idea of it is just a turn-off for me for some reason.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by IWroteASongForYou Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:44 am

Not so much, but I'm open to them overall.
IWroteASongForYou
IWroteASongForYou
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down