FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Legend of Korra - NEW AVATAR!!!

+7
Lumeus
Lara
Guilty Carrion
Kathryn Lacey
Sighlent
MoiraofWords
Fate Flyer
11 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

The Legend of Korra - NEW AVATAR!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Legend of Korra - NEW AVATAR!!!

Post by Lumeus Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:52 pm

He did think she was just another groupie only interested in him and his brother because they were currently in the spotlight. Then he finds out she's the Avatar and realizes that's not why she's interested in them. Now he's curious why the Avatar would be hanging out with them.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

The Legend of Korra - NEW AVATAR!!! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Legend of Korra - NEW AVATAR!!!

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:49 pm

The problem is that just "because she's the Avatar" it doesn't mean she isn't interested in them just for their fame. I mean, we know that's not what it is for her, but he doesn't.

This is one reason why I love Toph's daughter. She doesn't give leeway to Korra "because she's the Avatar" though Korra certainly expects that - when she shouldn't.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:50 pm

I think he figured out she didn't care about their fame when she said she was the Avatar, and that's why he called himself and idiot.

Captain Beifong doesn't give a flying flip that Korra is the Avatar while everyone else is in shock and awe. If Mako is immune to the "Avatar Effect" as well then he starts to become the new Zuko of the series rather than the love interest I think they're going for.

Compared to all the reverence she received from everyone else, Captain Beifong withstanding, I thought Mako's reaction was pretty tame.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:08 pm

See, for me, his calling himself an idiot just made it even worse for me because it was a clear sign that he was showing her special treatment for being the Avatar.

Originally, Zuko was going to be Katara's love interest, but they're like, "We can't have this kid save the world and not get the girl." So they gave her to Aang. This time around, I think they're going for what they couldn't have the first time. I just wish that they hadn't made it so painfully obvious in that last scene where they're both staring out across the water at the other's respective building. :: sighs ::

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:33 pm

But how you supposed to be not impressed by the Avatar? Tenzen and Captain Beifong are immune because they grew up with it, (and my super early assumption is that Captain Beifong has some deep seated issues with her mother and possibly Aang resulting in the immediate friction between her and Korra.)

Jonny Depp just walked into your living room, and you're going to treat him like regular company? Best you can hope for is to try and keep calm and not let your inner crazy take over even though you're dying to ask him a million questions.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:20 am

If Johnny Depp just walzted into my living room, I'd probably call the police. People aren't allowed in my house unless invited, and they don't get an invitation unless I know them or they have some purpose there that I knew about ahead of time. I don't care if a deity knocked on my door. If I don't know them, and they haven't been invited or mentioned ahead of time that they're coming, I don't want them in my home.

Besides, for all I know, it could just be a Depp look-a-like. There was no proof that she was the Avatar other than her word that she could bend all the elements (or rather, three of the four).

Also, I don't think Captain Bei Fong has to have issues with her mother and/or Aang to feel the way she does, and I think it's silly that she should have to have deep-seated issues in order for her to be immune to becoming a fan-girl over the Avatar. If you'll remember, her mother wasn't all that impressed with Aang just because he was the Avatar. When he came to her house, she messed with him and called him names even after learning who he was.

I think Captain Bei Fong is just trying to run one of the first police forces in existence in that world (at least, one of the first non-corrupt ones - because the Dai Lee were technically a police force of sorts), and having a vigilante, no matter how awesome and famous and important, undermines what she's trying to maintain.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:22 pm

Mkay, new illustration. You're at the end of a very long day at work which has involved an seemingly endless line of complaining and needy customers, and two minutes before your shift ends an elderly customer comes up with yet another complaint about how you sold him something faulty and now expects a refund and a personal apology. With one glance you can tell that his problem is user error, but you know this guy won't want to hear that, so you try to be as polite as possible, but in the back of your head you just want this guy to leave so you can go home. You have to go check with your supervisor to see about the demanded refund, and lo and behold your supervisor recognizes that the old man is your regional sales manger there to shop your store. When you return to the "customer" does your attitude change at all?
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu May 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Please tell me I'm not the only person who has been keeping up with this show?

On Nick.com, you can find all six episodes available to watch for free here. Just click the Full Episodes tab and make sure they're listed under "newest" and not "alphabetical," so all you have to do is go from the bottom right to the top left to watch them in order.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Thu May 17, 2012 3:45 pm

I've been entirely pleased with the show so far.

Tenzin is my favorite. He does a good job playing the Only Sane Man, and then someone comes along and ruins his dignity. I love watching him with Korra. I wish we saw more airbending practice on screen.

More fighting in general, would be good. I mean, the action is good every episode because of the pro bending matches. But pro bending is more like kick boxing, so we don't see much of the differences in bending style. (Episode 2 excluded, obviously) The straight fighting is better.

Did you like that little flashback in the latest episode (6)? Are Korra's past life memories going to tell us who Amon is? Is Korra getting the least bit in touch with her spiritual side? I bet it's gonna be hilarious when Korra has to start her first spirit quest or whatever.

Speaking of Amon, he's a proper bad guy. He's creepy, he's got scary powers, and has ANYbody been able to stand up to him for more than a couple seconds yet? I want Korra to fight him, but I don't really want Korra to get anywhere near him.

I was surprised the Council was so prepared to let Amon do whatever he wanted. I see Tenzin's position; he's desperate to keep things low-key. Tarrlok, I haven't quite pinned down and he's a little aggressive, but at least he sees the threat. Tenzin aside, how did the Council not immediately and instinctively put its collective back up when that monkey started making threats via radio program? Thank goodness Lin inherited Toph's brains.
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Thu May 17, 2012 4:12 pm

I've purchased all of the HD episodes on iTunes. I'm really enjoying the show so far. The comedy is a tad more childish than I'd like, but that's to be expected. Bolin isn't as funny to me as Sokka was.

Having it on iTunes I was able to slow down Korra's vision from the last episode, and yeah, Aang and Toph as grown-ups are awesome.

Big fan of Amon. I knew I was going to enjoy his character when I heard his voice. Steve Blum has done the voices for several of my favorite anime characters in the past. (Spike from Cowboy Bebop, Roger Smith from Big O, Mugen from Samurai Champloo, TOM from Toonami, Darcia from Wolf's Rain, the list goes on and on.) I'm really hoping that his past isn't predictable.

As to his future plans? My guess is that he discovered the big Avatar secret and is waiting for Korra to enter the Avatar State before killing her. At least, that's what I would do if I wanted to wipe out bending.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu May 17, 2012 4:20 pm

I really like Tenzin, as well. I'm glad that even though he's an airbender, he's not obnoxious like his father was in the original series. Then again, the dude is in his fifties, so maybe even Aang was able to chill and be more interesting and less annoying by the time he got older.

I actually think that Amon may be my favorite. Before the episode that revealed what a true badass he is aired, I was mostly only into the show for the original characters, but after that episode, I became really invested in this show and these characters.

I agree that seeing more airbending practice on screen would be cool, but right now, I don't think she's even to the point where she can move the air. Right now, it's more about the movements. I think things will get really cool when she learns how to actually bend the air.

My boyfriend feels very similarly to you. The pro-bending isn't bad, but it would be awesome to see more straight battling, no holds barred.

I think the past life flashbacks are really cool. It's really interesting to see these characters as adults... except... Toph totally looks like a dude and had six fingers in one of the flashbacks. XD But seeing Aang and Sokka is really interesting. Tenzin looks just like his father.

Amon is amazing. He's really a great antagonist for the show, and the best part is that Korra is no match for him yet. I know she'll get to be that way, but she really needs to train harder. Amon is clearly an adult while she's still technically a kid, so he's had a lot more time to really train. I'm really looking forward to their show-down when she'll actually be a match for him.

Tarrlok reminds me of Hahn, that guy who was betrothed to Yue in the original series. Why are so many Northern Water Tribesmen soooo freaking pompous and stuck up?

Considering the fact that the other three council members (Earth, Fire, and Southern Water) don't even have names, they're pretty much just going to go with whatever for the show. They're a mere plot device with no personalities or anything, so I'm not really all that surprised that they were backing down. However, it proved to be kind of a bad idea to stand up because now Pro Bending is over. On the plus side, maybe this means we'll see more actual fighting rather than play fighting.

Some of the comedy is actually extremely funny to me. Yeah, it has childish elements, but this new series is already darker and more mature overall than its original was. I do agree that Sokka's humor was superior to Bolin's.

I really love Amon's voice. I didn't know he'd voice acted in some other things I'd seen in the past. I definitely would not have pegged him as Mugen!

I'm not sure exactly what he plans to do, but I think he's awesome, and I hope he proves himself worthy of my favoritism even if I know he has to be defeated in the end. Maybe he'll make it to the second season. =3

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Thu May 17, 2012 6:06 pm

Korra is a fun character too. She caught my interest from the first. She's such a thug. A kind-hearted thug, but still. Sometimes I wonder what her other masters were doing. They must have made her study more than bending, but if she ever learned to use her brain, it clearly isn't a skill she practices much. Yes, she's young, sheltered, confident, physically strong, and inexperienced in the world. But every time she faces any kind of problem I hear her inner voice go "Korra SMASH"

And yet, she keeps losing fights. Maybe it's just that we keep seeing her go up against really strong people. I'm willing to believe every chi blocker is fully qualified. I'm even willing to believe that, in comparison, the fire nation's firebending soldiers were not as disciplined. But Aang, in season one, was full capable of defending himself against bending masters, crowds, and monsters. And Korra is three times a master. Why does she keep getting held up and/or defeated by minions?

Is airbending that awesome? Is Korra's tiny brain getting in her way? Is our perspective off because her opponents are super strong and keep sneak attacking?

Also. How does Amon hack the radios? Or is there only one station in Republic City? Usually I would say it would be hard to overwhelm a citywide broadcast on multiple bands without a monstrous antenna. And that kind of thing would probably give away your secret hideout.
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Icipher Thu May 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Don't really have time to go into an indepth response to anything at the moment, but there is one thing I want to say. I don't think people should be comparing Bolin's humor to that of Sokka. Firstly because Bolin is a pretty different character than Sokka, and secondly because since the first time I saw Korra, she reminds me a lot of Sokka in terms of her humor. A lot of the reactions she has, body movements, and facial expressions are along the same lines as those made by Sokka. For me, it works perfectly.
Icipher
Icipher
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Thu May 17, 2012 8:33 pm

I agree, Icipher.

I never really compared Bolin and Sokka. Everyone takes their turn at cracking jokes, and Sokka had a lot of other hats to wear. So does Bolin, for that matter.

But now that you pointed it out, Korra really DOES resemble Sokka a lot. All her best expressions are the same. I like when she sticks her bottom lip out and pouts. Sokka used to do the same thing.

On that note, I don't see KorraxMako as a KatarraxZuko replacement. The relationship isn't at all similar.
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu May 17, 2012 11:35 pm

Komako relationship may not be quite as similar as Zutara, but they creators have already admitted that because they didn't go with their original idea to have Zutara happen (can't let the guy save the world and not get the girl) that Makorra is sort of like them getting their way this time around.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Icipher Fri May 18, 2012 12:48 am

Still, that doesn't make it a replacement relationship or mean that it should be compared in that light. Sure, the creators may have said that but... when you look at things, the romance isn't so much different from the Aang/Katara one. Why? In Last Airbender, Aang saved the world and got the girl. And now in Legend of Korra... Korra is going to do... whatever, likely save the world, and get the guy. If they do definitely stay true to the Korra/Mako romance. If things change down the road... well, who knows at that point.
Icipher
Icipher
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Fri May 18, 2012 5:51 am

Isn't that just the creators getting their way? As in "THIS time we're keeping to the plan!" None of the four characters particularly resemble each other -except maybe physically. And the situations are so different...

Just at a guess, it seems like Korra's romantic arc is going to reflect Pema's words about watching her soulmate be with the wrong person.

It's too bad, really, if we're limiting her to one of the two brothers. Mako's been pretty dull so far. Even with Asami, he's been passive. Bolin is hard to see as a romantic partner, but at least he and Korra have some chemistry.

Maybe next season Korra can meet a nice chi blocker terrorist.
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri May 18, 2012 11:10 am

I'm glad the situations are different. I mean, you can see some minor personality traits that are similar, but the stories are so different that it helps this one be its own show. I mean, Mako was honestly more interesting before he was like, "Oh, you're the Avatar? I'm an idiot. I'll stop being an ass." There was just something refreshing about him not being a pushover just because of someone's status because... honestly... seconds earlier, he was bitching about how Korra was only interested in them because of theirs as pro-benders...

Anyway, I guess that doesn't matter. I feel bad for Asami, though. I like her, but it's probably not going to happen for Masami.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Mon May 21, 2012 1:12 pm

I agree that Mako had his best moments when he was all snooty and rude in the pilot ep. That brought out a nice dynamic between him and Korra. But I don't think his reaction to Korra's title was wrong. To me it sounded less like, "You're the Avatar, and I should stop being an ass because of your awesome title" and more like, "You're the Avatar which means you have a legitimate interest in bending, you're not some gushing fangirl trying to get something from my brother. I'll stop being rude now."

It might be a fine difference. And the resulting boring-ness is the same. But I don't think any worse of Mako.

I DO dislike the relationship growing between Asami and Korra. We all get that Korra likes Mako and is jealous of his relationship with Asami. But who isn't tired of seeing the same competitive/antagonistic relationship between two similar girls on television? And it's doubly disappointing to see it on a show that already displayed its ability to bring maturity to a kids show in spades.

It doesn't even make that much sense. Seriously, when is the last time a girl in real life openly disliked someone who had what they wanted? We're far more likely to cozy up to that person.

And the one aspect of Korra's character I'd like to have faith in (as she ineffectually blunders head first through everybody's clandestine plans) is her good heart. I find it hard to believe she wouldn't almost immediately see Asami as a person, not just the girl dating Mako. Unless she really is ignoring everyone who can't bend an element, it should be obvious that those two are probably well suited to each other. Asami's just as pushy and annoying, in her own way.
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by meimcrae Mon May 21, 2012 9:50 pm

Ello! By the way, to the person who is buying the HD shows, you don't need to do that. You can legally download them off their website a few days after they are out..

Just wanted to let you know you can stop wasting your money.

meimcrae
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Tue May 22, 2012 12:24 am

Ah if only I had the patience for that...

iTunes has the episodes available the next day.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Wed May 23, 2012 8:50 am

I get my immediate fix from anilinks usually.

There's something to be said for staying on the right side of legal though. Not to mention quality.
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Wed May 23, 2012 12:12 pm

Yeah! I mean, I have to have something to balance out my torrented complete seasons of Supernatural, House, Dexter, Bones, Justified, White Collar, Alphas, Game of Thrones, Spartacus, The Wonder Years, Everwood, Archer, Merlin, How I Met Your Mother, Being Human, Castle, and The Walking Dead.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Wed May 23, 2012 2:53 pm

I have a hard time keeping my torrented shows up to date when the shows are ongoing. Too often people package the episodes by season rather than by episode, and I always forget to uncheck the files I don't want. For example, I have the first episodes of Warehouse 13 torrented several times over.

With the first avatar series I just watched it streaming until I could torrent the whole series at once. ...course, I also bought the dvds. So much for not wasting money.

Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:54 pm

I'm super late in this, but I've spent the last month catching up with Avatar The Last Bender and Legend of Korra. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

I was not sure I was going to like LoK, but they did a great job. I'm not going to comment on too much else, but if the creators really wanted to get theri Zutara fix, they should have hooked Korra up with General Iroh. Just sayin'. Wink
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Psh... I ship Irosami all the way. Their fix was Makorra.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2