FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

100 movies you have to see at least once

+17
UnfortunateBountyHunter
Lumeus
Psychotic Flesh
Capfalcon
Heruss
Ominous Flare
jackariah
Loki
Kathryn Lacey
EverMan
Sheeple
Gunneh
Hello Danger
Bird of Hermes
Squall Reyes
Cypher
Shekinah
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 Empty Re: 100 movies you have to see at least once

Post by Guest Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:36 pm

Dude, you start at 73. I listed 76, 75, and 74.

Back to top Go down

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 Empty Re: 100 movies you have to see at least once

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:58 pm

Well, Elric, you didn't even bother to try to stay true to this thread's purpose. You just posted a few titles. I also thought that this thread was one where we would all list one movie per post. I think it keeps it fair that way, and the thread itself looks better when everyone sticks to the same rules.

Precious ((2009))

Based in 1987 Harlem and adapted from the novel Push by Sapphire, this movie follows the life of Clareece "Precious" Jones, an illiterate, morbidly obese sixteen-year-old who decides to go to an alternative school when she's suspended from public school for her second pregnancy, something caused by her father. This fact only causes her abusive mother to become even more hateful and harmful.

Her teacher gives her lessons that enable her to read, and she is encouraged to write daily in her journal for this same teacher. Precious learns that there are people in the world who can care for her, people who show her kindness when no one else has. She determines to get her first child back from her grandmother, so she can become a good mother to both her first born and to her unborn child.

((Theatrical Trailer))

Last edited by Kathryn Lacey on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Capfalcon Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:20 pm

72 . Se7en

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 Seven-movie-poster-500w

This is the sociopathic mastermind movie. Yeah. You heard me. Forget Hannibal Lecter. He may get a few points for having done it four years ealier, but he's not in the same league. Don't even mention that Jonny-Come-Lately Jigsaw. Nothing he did holds a candle to the horrific karmic justice that the Se7en killer deals out. This, right here, is some of the most messed up, twistedly ironic justice you will ever see this side of the Dante's Inferno. And the worst part is that, the killer makes sense. Oh, he's sick, twisted, and wrong, but I see why he's doing it. His motive is clear.

And, well, I could go on and on about how even the extras and bit parts have a job and do it. No one phoned it in on this movie. And... the ending. Oh, damn. The ending. I really can't say anything about it, just on the off chance that someone reading this hasn't seen it.

So. Yeah, I think it's a pretty neat movie, and, if you haven't seen it, you should.
Capfalcon
Capfalcon
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:56 pm

Shekinah wrote:It's easy:

With every post you make, you tell us about one movie we all have to see at least once. We'll start from 100 and count down to 1. Please do not post more movies than 1 or 2 in the same post Smile

I thought that was clear enough? Thanks for your comment on the matter Kathryn Smile
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:56 pm

71. - Hotaru no haka (Grave of the Fireflies) - Directed by Isao Takahata (1988)

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 Grave-of-the-fireflies.jpg]

Dark0 said in his comment on this movie on IMDb the following: "Brutally honest and heartbreaking" and I think this comment hits the core of Hotaru no haka. This is the one animated movie that really almost made me cry because it's so awfully sad and indeed brutally honest.

This movie is about a brother and his little sisters who have to manage to survive World War II in Japan, without a home for them to flee to left.

While most people think about anime or cartoons that there's no serious topic being covered and that it's only good for kids to watch to (or I believe that's what most people think anyway) Hotaru no haka is all but that. Get rid off any prejudices you might have towards anime, as this movie will hit you where it hurts most: in the heart. The movie covers friendship, family, love, betrayal, loyalty, happyness and sadness and all in such a manner that we can all relate to and that's maybe the great power of this movie. While it still is an animated one, you'll forget about that as you get dragged along the massive and powerful storyline with beautiful and very real characters that absolutely touch you as they tell you their story.

I get goosebumps all over again writing this, just because it makes me think back about the movie.

Last edited by Shekinah on Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cypher Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:42 pm

70. Ghostbusters (Screenplay by Dan Aykroyd and Harold Ramis, Directed by Ivan Reitman)

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 Ghostbusters_cover

Ghostbusters. Dear, sweet, awesome Ghostbusters. What can I say about it that hasn't already been said by someone in the past?

Co-penned by the infamous duo of Dan Aykroyd (see: Saturday Night Live, Blues Brothers) and Harold Ramis (see: National Lampoon's Vacation, Groundhog Day) and starring talented hands such as Rick Moranis, Sigourney Weaver (fresh off Aliens, no less!), Bill Pullman, and the ultimate cool guy, Ernie Hudson, among others. It isn't a generation-defining film, but it's a popular hit amongst everyone, young, old or middle-age. It's got excellent special effects as well.

And besides, how many people haven't said "Who ya gonna call?" or "I ain't 'fraid of no ghost!" at one point in their life? Who didn't want to be a Ghostbuster when they were a kid? ... Okay, maybe I was the only one.

Either way, it's an excellent movie and comes with my highest recommendation.
Cypher
Cypher
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:38 pm

69. - The Exorcist - Directed by William Friedkin (1973)

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 Exorcist

O my god, how could I not have mentioned this one already? Not only because it's a classic, but also because I've seen this one for almost 50 times!

Now then: I really think that if you're a true horror lover, you should see this one. This movie should be part of your movie education, especially when you're a horror lover, but I think that in general any movie lover should see this movie. Not only because Hollywood has shown with this movie that they are indeed able to make good use of make-up (which I sometimes doubt, to be honest) and not only because of the great acting performances, but especially because this movie is in one huge way, aside from several other less huge, different from almost any horror movie: The Exorcist doesn't shy away from the element of drama and character development. While most horror movies can be described as being a 'moment or still capture', almost to be compared with a photo if you want to be that extreme, The Exorcist gives us insight in a procedure, where the one 'diagnostic' follows the other up. And in the mean time we see Regan growing from behaving strange to violent to utterly scary. We are witnesses of her mother's dispair, that comes of greatly by how she changes visually.

This movie takes its time to tell its story. Based on the novel by William Peter Blatty (which wasn't all that great) we've been giving a true monster classic in horror movies. One that all should see.
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychotic Flesh Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:23 pm

68. Apocalypto - Directed by Mel Gibson {2006}

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 Apocalypto

Apocalypto depicts the journey of a Mesoamerican tribesman who must escape human sacrifice and rescue his family after the capture and destruction of his village.

I'll admit that I just stole that very brief description from Wikipedia, because I am terrible at explaining things. All I know is that this film had me absolutely on the edge of my seat, bursting to go to the toilet but holding back because I didn't want to miss one second. Before you tell me that I could have just paused it, I watched it on TV, on the BBC to be more precise, and the BBC doesn't have adverts.

All the people I have recommend this film to have loved it, and I hope you guys feel the same way if you decide to see it.
Psychotic Flesh
Psychotic Flesh
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:15 pm

67. - Salinui chueok (Memories of Murder) - Directed by Joon-ho Bong (2003)

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 Memoriesmurder

If only because it's one of the most funny thriller's I've ever seen.

In 1986, in the province of Gyunggi, in South Korea, a second young and beautiful woman is found dead, raped and tied and gagged with her underwear. Detective Park Doo-Man and Detective Cho Yong-koo, two brutal and stupid local detectives without any technique, investigate the murder using brutality and torturing the suspects, without any practical result. The Detective Seo Tae-Yoon from Seul comes to the country to help the investigations and is convinced that a serial-killer is killing the women. When a third woman is found dead in the same "modus-operandi", the detectives find leads of the assassin. Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil - imdb.com
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lumeus Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:29 am

66. - The Goonies - Directed by: Richard Donner (1985)

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 Goonies

This movie brilliantly excels at character development and storytelling.

I cannot give a discription of this movie that would do it justice, so you'll just have to watch it!

65. - Rudy - Directed by: David Anspaugh (1993)

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 Rudy

This movie has so much heart, and Goldsmith delievers a score that should be memorialized in a hall of fame somewhere. Again, my summary would do more harm than good. So go buy it. On Amazon. You won't be disappointed.
Lumeus
Lumeus
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hello Danger Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:45 pm

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 44b8e0a2
#64 - Dead Man's Shoes - Directed by: Shane Meadows

The story revolves around the character of Richard (Paddy Considine), a paratrooper returning to his small home town of Matlock in the Peak District. Richard has returned home from the army to exact revenge on the tormentors of his mentally disabled younger brother Anthony.

The movie is soooo badass. The end.

Favorite lines of the movie:

Sonny: You're making me very nervous, Richard.

Richard: Well you should be. If I were you, I'd get in that fuckin' car and I'd get out of here, man. I'd gather them goonies and get whatever you've got comin', mate... 'cause I'm gonna fucking hit you all.

Sonny: I don't like being threatened, Rich'.

Richard: I'm not threatening you, mate. It's beyond fucking words.
Hello Danger
Hello Danger
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by UnfortunateBountyHunter Wed May 11, 2011 7:18 pm

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 Little11
63. Little Shop of Horrors

I can't beleive no one has put this movie on yet! THis is one of Rick Moranis's best all time films

Little shop of horrors is about a Florist named Seymour (Rick Moranis) who. on the day of an eclipse, finds a green plant that resembles a venus flytrap. He discovers that it has a taste for human blood, he nicknames it Audrey II.

I can't say anything else without giving the movie away, you'll have to watch it.

UnfortunateBountyHunter
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:56 pm

Let's finish this.

#62 - My Neighbor Totoro

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 My_Neighbor_Totoro_-_Tonari_no_Totoro_%28Movie_Poster%29

My Neighbor Totoro (となりのトトロ Tonari no Totoro?), is a 1988 Japanese animated fantasy film written and directed by Hayao Miyazaki and produced by Studio Ghibli. The film follows the two young daughters of a professor and their interactions with friendly wood spirits in postwar rural Japan. The film was re-released by Disney on March 7, 2006. It features a new dub cast.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamless Days Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:46 am

Let's keep going!

#61 - The Breakfast Club

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 The_Breakfast_Club

The Breakfast Club focuses on a group of five teenagers thrown into all day Saturday Detention. The kids all belong to different cliques at school, ones that do not get along at all. The story follows the kids as they all begin to realize that each of them are not just simply a Brain, an Athlete, a Basket case, a Princess and a Criminal, but that all of them are deeper as people.

The story can be a little slow at times for some people, considering a lot of the film takes place in one single room with the teens just talking, but I believe this is to make the audience feel similar to how the kids should be feeling right now, having to spend six hours just sitting still in the library. The movie also gets extra points for it all being shot in chronological order, so the scenes were filmed as the are shown in the movie itself. Also a lot of the drama heavy scenes were adlibbed by the actors. It fits into the Drama genre, with some little flecks of Comedy thrown in every now and then.

It was made in 1985, and has a few of the decent actors from that time. The main cast are: Emilio Estevez, Anthony Michael Hall, Judd Nelson, Molly Ringwald and Ally Sheedy.
Dreamless Days
Dreamless Days
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:36 pm

#60: Planet of the Apes

What can't you say about this film? This was one of the original mainstream science fiction movies. The story followed George Taylor (Charleton Heston) as his crew crash-lands after a failed voyage to Mars. They land on a world ruled by apes that talked, studied science, and even tested their findings on humans who had lost all forms of intelligence.

Taylor is the first intelligent human they ever met. He befriends a pair of chimpanzees: Cornelius (Roddy McDowell) and Zira (Kim Hunter), who fight to show the other apes that humans shouldn't be treated like animals.

This movie had one of the first plot twists that shocked most people who first saw the movie:
Spoiler:
Not to mention, there are many lines that have been quoted by later science fiction films, including the famous, "Damn you! Damn you all to hell!"

Nowadays, it looks rather hokey, rather B-rated. But it is a masterpiece that I consider to still hold its own today.
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:02 am

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 Star_w10

Well I am sure you all saw this coming with me. The original 1977 Star Wars- A New Hope, though that name wasn't added until later is one of, if not the best Sci-Fi movie ever released. It changed how Sci-Fi movies were made, and led to one of the greatest and highest grossing franchises in movie history.

I remember seeing the 3rd installment, Return of the Jedi when I was a young child. After that I went and saw all of the movies. I have seen the Special Editions, the Prequels, and I plan on going to see the 3D releases.

While I like Empire Strikes Back the most, A New Hope started it all. It is a great story, with great characters. It could stand alone, but what it does is start off a classic trilogy.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Ghost Writer Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:44 pm

#58. Lifted (2010) - Written and Directed by Lexi Alexander

100 movies you have to see at least once - Page 2 9090dcfddf

I stumbled across this movie one night while browsing through Netflix. Quaker and Guilty Carrion and I were in an xbox Live party at the time, but as soon as I started watching it I had to mute them. XD As a troop, I like to watch my troop-dedicated films without interruptions.

The story is centered around Henry Matthews (Uriah Shelton), a kid from a small Alabama town with a Marine Reservist father (Dash Mihok) and former drug-addict mother. Henry has an incredible singing talent, and expands upon it by frequently mixing custom tracks and free-styling with his father.

When his father receives orders to return to active duty and deploy to Bagram, Afghanistan, Henry's life begins to fall apart, starting with the foreclosure of the family's home after the bank takes advantage of their unfixed mortgage rates. Henry and his mom then move in with his mother's father, who is an old-fashioned, racist drunkard that despises the "nigger music" that Henry listens and sings to, as well as the baggy clothes he prefers to wear.

Henry counts the days until his father returns, all the while hoping to partake in the "Alabama Teen Star Quest" (an American Idol knock-off for the state's youth). He also has high hopes that his father will return in time to free-style with him in the competition.

This tear-jerking, heart-warming (and wrenching) film is dedicated to all of the veterans (here and down range) and fallen heroes.

Oh and, for those that like to listen to country music, Trace Adkins guest stars in the film (as "Jimmy Knox") as one of the judges for the singing competition.

YouTube Trailer:

As I said, you can find it in Netflix's Watch Instantly library.
The Ghost Writer
The Ghost Writer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2