FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you ever feel like life is like The Matrix?

4 posters

Go down

Do you ever feel like life is like The Matrix? Empty Do you ever feel like life is like The Matrix?

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jun 06, 2009 1:11 am

Haha, no...seriously?

When I was just a small child, I specifically remember a time when I was walking around on the 2nd floor of a department store (probably Sears) with my best friend then and her mother. I had the overwhelming feeling that I just knew everything wasn't right and that the world just wasn't real. When I was in the mall at this point, I remember asking my friend if she felt the same way too. I remember her agreeing with me and then continue on walking, probably just agreeing for the sake of it. But I truly felt it...for some reason.

Even today, there are odd things that go on frequently, just little things that make you question it. For instance, I will randomly think of something that would have never normally crossed my mind, and then that same thing will really pop up later in the day. They're always so little though, that -- in the moment -- I think it is rather odd, but I blow it off and forget about it later. But that's just one type of example. There are other weird coincidences that occur that really make you wonder.

I'm not saying that the movie The Matrix is real or anything silly like that lol, but just that, at times, life can seem pretty unreal.

I'm being very vague, I know. I'm sorry. It's just so hard to put into words and explain. Most of it is all just feelings you get, like sensations. Like I was saying, I felt this even as a kid. I remember also once when I was a little older, probably just barely a teenager, and I was out at a fancy restaurant with my family, and I noticed a lot of the waitresses and waiters eyeing me from across the massive one-room dining hall. I kept thinking how odd it was, and I wondered why they were looking at me. It was as if I was the main character in my own head -- or, in Matrix terms, I was the one creating this world, and that I was the only real one in this make-believe world, and that a part of me knew that, which was why they were watching me.

I know it sounds so funny and so silly. Like I said, I certainly don't believe any of it would ever be true, but I just think that it's odd to have such strange feelings and to experience so many really crazy, random things.

Like, another example... I will start getting into something that isn't very well known or popular, and just as soon as I start to get involved in it, it blows up, and soon everyone wants to be a part of it or wants to be involved with it too. I've had this happen multiple times with a variety of different things.

Okay, well, I think I'm done now, haha. It's late, and I'm probably sounding like a rambling crazy person. I was just kind of curious if anyone else experienced anything like this ever. I'm sure, if you have, you'll agree it's hard to describe or put into words properly.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Do you ever feel like life is like The Matrix? Empty Re: Do you ever feel like life is like The Matrix?

Post by Drunut Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:03 am

I get what you're saying mainly because I've felt it before. With me though I will think of something really random (like the number 14) and then throughout my day for no reason all these things happen that involve 14. There are 14 pieces of change in my pocket, I only get 14 problems of homework done, I have 14 days left until I go away for a week, I finally beat lvl. 14 etc...

Or sometimes I get really bored and just stare at a random object. Then when I pay attention to it I realize that it's off somehow. Whether it's the lighting or something. It just doesn't feel like it's there. Sometimes I have to touch it to assure myself.

And yeah, it is late, and yeah, I feel a bit introspective right now (and I just realized there is no face for being at peace/calm/introspective...)
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Do you ever feel like life is like The Matrix? Empty Re: Do you ever feel like life is like The Matrix?

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:41 am

For the most part, the "coincidences" of which you were speaking really just remind me of psychic phenomena. I believe everyone has at least a small hint of psychic abilities within them, but the vast majority of people suppress it ((mostly because society tells them there's no way it could possibly be true)). I believe it's strongest in families because they pass it on through their genes, but it everyone has the capacity for a small amount of it. For instance, I have this really strong way of getting impressions ((I believe it's from auras)) that allow me to know whether or not a person is a good person, a bad person, somewhere in between, or somewhere on either extreme of the two, but I haven't honed it to it's full capacity. I also have precognitive dreams on occasion, and I often find myself thinking of something that I haven't thought about in years or which I have never thought, and it will suddenly pop up again in real life terms. I may even learn something that was pertinent for me to know before encountering some event in my life that pertained it.

Anyway, I'm off subject...

I do sometimes feel as if the world around me isn't really truly there. Have you ever looked at the sky and realize that it looks exactly as if a talented painter had painted it there? It almost looks fake and unreal to me. Also, I will suddenly get these waves of unease that make me feel like nothing is real. Even the simple gesture of a hand can make me feel that way if my eyes are actually open. I feel as if I'm purposely sitting in a cloud of unawareness of the unreality of it all, but every now and then my head will suddenly clear.

There are conspiracy theories. What if all of this is fake? What if the world is just a really spiffy hologram, and there are chips in our heads to make us think it's real? That would explain why we never find life outside our own planet, but we'll occasionally see a U.F.O. or some other unexplained object. Are we just test subjects for something bigger than we can imagine?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:50 am

What your talking about Kathryn is Man's bane, Women's intuition. It's like you all know what we're thinking. Creeps me out.

HOLY CRAP i get that exact feeling with the sky bit. But the theories? No. I just believe that when something seems like it's not real is when you look at something completely as it is. There are no other thoughts to tell you what it should be. You only see what is sitting right in front of you.

For instance, instead of looking at your hand and seeing an appendage that can be used for various purposes along with greeting, shaking, punching etc. you see a compilation of flesh and blood covered by skin. Alien and different. And as you watch the fingers move you wonder 'Now what does that do? What is it used for?'. I believe that's why babies are so interested in everything. They have no concept of what they're looking at should do, only what it looks like it might do.
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:01 am

YES! OMG! That's exactly it! It's like... I'll just look at a tree that I have seen every day for years, and suddenly I'll see it not as that tree that sits in front of my house, but I'll see it in crisp, clear detail. It ceases to be a tree, and it only becomes minute details that I can no longer make into a whole, and that is why it feels as if it couldn't possibly be something real and true.

I wasn't saying that I believed the theories. I was simply stating them and that some do believe in them. I had a long discussion on conspiracy theories about life, the universe, and everything with my boyfriend not too long ago. It was fascinating.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:02 am

Really? Did the number 42 crop up anywhere in there? Just a question... no real reason... yeah...

Also I just thought up a better example, you look at a printer/faxer and instead of looking at it and saying "Oh thats a printer with a fax machine." and going on, you see a hunk of plastic with several small compartments and screws that seem to be in odd angles, and buttons placed seemingly randomly across everywhere and then some.

And I really need to get some sleep -.- even my sisters friends who are sleeping over went to sleep an hour ago...

I'm starting to uncapitalize my I's... Whoa
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:06 am

It could have, but the obvious patterns that I counted didn't contain the number.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Drunut Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:13 am

oh... and I can't think of anything to say right now...

A group of the worlds greatest scientist has gathered together for a special meeting... "Well boys we need a way to solve world hunger, rising depression rates, and environment problems. How we gonna do it?" the head scientist asked.
"I have an idea!" an up-and-coming scientist replied. "I propose that we connect all human beings up to a giant supercomputer, a matrix if you will, that allows them to never go hungry. They can have anything they desire..."
Another scientist boldly stood up, "But then who would be willing to go outside the Matrix to keep it running! And what about the power cost?"
"Simple," the first scientist replied, "we have robots do it for us! and we will power both them and The Matrix by the collective electric energy produced by our bodies!"
Every scientist around the world stood up and applauded the brilliant idea. What could possibly go wrong?

Just was lookin' at the title and this popped into my head...
Drunut
Drunut
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:49 am

Kathryn, what you said and described in your first reply to this was dead on. Shocked Nod I was kind of thinking that perhaps some of what occurs to me could, in fact, be traces of psychic phenomenon. I actually believe that all as well, what you said about having these precognitions. I feel as if every human has the ability to exercise the power of the mind to better these abilities, if you will, but that we always pass them off as coincidences or feel as if such a thing can't be real.

What you said about the sky, too, is also something that I felt before. It's odd that Drunut too has felt that.

It's good to know that you too, Drunut, have felt similar things before as well. That last story bit was actually really creepy, lol. I would be so mad if that was real, and we all truly were hooked up to the matrix. Could you imagine? If all this was fake, and there really is no spoon, then you could do whatever you wanted...

Which reminds me!

I had this dream once, in which I knew I was dreaming, and this voice kept telling me to jump off this tall building. I knew it was a dream, so I knew that I couldn't die, but at the same time, I didn't want to do it. The voice kept urging me to though, saying that I just have to believe and know that none of this is real, and I can do anything. I was too scared though, and I wouldn't do it.

And it's for that reason, that if The Matrix was real, that we could never do anything like what Neo does, because you'd truly have to believe and know that this all is fake in order to change it with your mind, just like how no one in the movie believes on their first try that they can leap across the buildings without falling.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Ugh! I know! It's like... no matter how many billions of times my head clears enough for me to feel like this can't possibly be true, I don't believe it enough to trust myself not to die or become injured if I jump off the roof of a building.

It would be interesting if what Douglas Adams wrote about flying could really occur. "Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Of course, you couldn't really be thinking about falling. You had to be distracted from the act of your falling, or your thought of falling and the disbelief of flying will cause you to plummet back to the ground. If you truly believed you could do it, maybe it is possible. Maybe everything that society has hammered into our minds is impossible could truly happen if we applied true belief in the action.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:39 pm

Exactly. Smile I've wondered about that for a long time now. I wonder if we could truly do things that seem impossible if only we just truly trusted and really, 100% believed that we could?
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:58 pm

Well, that actually goes along with psychic phenomena, too. Children are far more likely to have stronger abilities in that area than adults because society eventually beats down the belief that such things could be true. As a child, my grandmother had extremely strong abilities. She could even tell if a woman was going to have a boy or a girl baby- even if the woman didn't know she was pregnant. She would see the fetus with a blue or a pink aura around it, and it was so natural to her that that was what she thought everyone meant when they said "The baby is showing." Now she can't do that. Society has a way of screwing people out of natural talents and gifts.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:05 pm

That's really very interesting, and kind of sad too at the same time. That would be amazing to be able to do. I do agree that society today does press on quite a lot of negative things into us.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Hank J Wimbleton Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:09 am

Of course. We're all batteries.
No, seriously though. Stuff isn't right. This world's a shithole and everything in it sucks. The Matrix is also a metaphor of humanity's higher wish for something more, the 'is this all?' feeling. I have it all the time. I blame God.
Hank J Wimbleton
Hank J Wimbleton
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:40 pm

Exactly. Not being a religious person now in my adult years, I have a hard time accepting that this truly is all. Though I can't say I believe in a Heaven (or a Hell), I do strangely have the feeling that there is more than simply being burried 6 feet under. (Perhaps that's the ghost hunter in my talking though.)

Anyway, I digress. I agree though, Hank.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down