FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hullo

+3
Loki
Lara
Sorrel
7 posters

Go down

Hullo Empty Hullo

Post by Sorrel Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:44 pm

Well, my name is Sorrel, and I discovered this site through Gaia...Heh. I think I've mostly outgrown that site, though I didn't know where else to look, so I think it was quite fortunate that I stumble upon this. It's about time I join a group with similar writing skills as me.

I'm 18, live on the west coast, and work as a dog groomer. In my spare time I write, draw, make comics, read, watch movies and play video games. Right now I'm really into the Holocaust and I've been watching movies with that theme a lot lately. I think it's a very inspirational occurrence in our history, let me know if anyone would like to devise a Roleplay based off of it.

I consider myself a very character based writer, meaning I like to delve into my characters and deepen and nurture them, the plot then comes second. I like to be challenged when it comes to character design also, and the more opposite of me they are, the better...However, you will rarely see me create a mean spirited or "twisted" characters, because I don't feel quite comfortable with those kind of dark persona's...

Anyhow, I think I'm pretty darn literate (haha!), and so I imagine I'll get alone very well here. So a big 'hello' to everyone! I hope to find great friends and writing partners here!
Sorrel
Sorrel
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Hullo Empty Re: Hullo

Post by Lara Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:49 pm

Hi there, Sorrel! Welcome to FOG. Smile

I don't know how well I'd be able to participate in a Holocaust roleplay, but it's always fascinated me, so I'd be willing to give it a look. I'm always up for new Holocaust/war themed movies to watch, so let me know if you see any that are really good!

You have trouble with dark characters, too? I find it super hard to roleplay mean characters; I always end up feeling bad and find myself trying to explain their actions in my posts, haha. I'm trying to expand my horizons, though.

What kind of video games do you like to play? My favorites are RPGs.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:59 pm

Sorrel wrote:In my spare time I write, draw, make comics, read, watch movies and play video games.

Ouch.... I hate to break it to you... But I don't think you will really fit into thie group. We really don't cater to any of thost things.

XD

Sorrel wrote:I'm 18, live on the west coast, and work as a dog groomer.

I demand pictures! You can post some of yourself as well if you feel so inclinde. lol!
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Igraine Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:18 pm

Welcome to FOG, Sorrel, and it's wonderful to have you!

*hugs a puppy tight, in your honor, and grins*

A few years ago, I was actually working toward an MA in History, with concentration in Holocaust studies. I was never able to finish, because that was also when the worst of my sickness hit.

I doubt very much, though, that I'd be able to participate in a Holocaust-based roleplay - I've read too much, and I know too much, and just the sheer scale of the human suffering, and the inhumanity, and the true evil - I don't think it's something I'd feel comfortable trying to RP - though I'm always available for a discussion on the subject, and there are many books I'd be more happy to recommend on the subject as well.

Hate to be so heavy your first ever thread here, but I suppose it's just one of the heaviest subjects I know. But yes - definitely wonderful to have you and, like Loki demanded:

Pictures!!!
Igraine
Igraine
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:25 pm

Hey there, Sorrel. Welcome to FOG! Smile

I'm envious that you live on the West Coast (as that's where I'd like to live in about a year or so). Also, I think that's really great that you're a dog groomer! I'm a big dog person myself, and for my first job when I was a teenager, I worked in a kennel as a dog walker, but we also had groomers there as well. I always thought it would be fun to have that for a job.

I also share your lack of enthusiasm for twisted characters. I find it usually hard to portray them in writing, as I can't/don't think the way that they are meant to, so it's challenging for me, and usually less enjoyable.

Anyway, we're glad to have you here! Oh, and Loki's most definitely joking, of course! LOL.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorrel Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:34 pm

I'll see if I can get some of the doggies, we just set up a new "offer" where people can get before and after pictures with their groom, it's pretty cute. My favorite dog breed is the Smooth Coated Collie, obviously, haha! I plan on getting one of my own this fall, and I'm so excited!

As for video games, I like real time strategy, RPGS and anything that's extremely ridiculous. I just got Spore for my PC and it is pretty much amazing. I also have been playing Diablo II with my boyfriend lately, and that's a lot of fun, even though it's a bit scary sometimes.

I know that the Holocaust is pretty heavy stuff, and I haven't dealt directly with it, but I was part of a Genocide Awareness Coalition for a number of years, and I've been face to face with other cases of Ethnic Conflict and refugees and victims of such tragedies. It's the most emotionally difficult thing I've ever had to face, but in the end, I think it spawns great hope and beautiful stories of courage and determination. I greatly respect and honor those who can come out of a situation like that and continue living, they're truly inspiring. However, I suppose that a Roleplay would be inappropriate now that I think about it. I just saw that 'Boy in the Striped Pygamas' movie, and I was pretty upset when I found out it was purely fictional...It is an interesting topic of discussion though, and although it's hard, it's an important thing for people to learn about, I think.

Haha, I guess we are being rather dreary for an intro post, but, I'm getting to know you, and you're getting to know me! So it's all good. Thank you all for welcoming me so kindly!
Sorrel
Sorrel
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:19 pm

Sorrel wrote:Haha, I guess we are being rather dreary for an intro post, but, I'm getting to know you, and you're getting to know me! So it's all good. Thank you all for welcoming me so kindly!

The best way to balance out such a topic is with something that is excellent at uplifting the heart. Like... I dunno... pictures of puppies? *coughhintcough*

Let's see:
Likes dogs - Check
Can possibly provide pictures of said dogs - Check
Can possibly provide pictures of puppies - Check
Plays spore - Check
Plays Diablo II - Check Check Check
Likes RTS games - Check

Either you are actually a guy in disguise (can't be a cop, you are above the age of consent) or you are one of the coolest girls I've ever not met and your boyfriend is extremely lucky. *ponders the 'ever not met' statement for a second* That works I suppose.

Either way

I'm sure we'll get along quite well. ^_^
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:33 pm

W00t for video games! Very Happy Aww
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:29 pm

Hey there. If you're interested, there are a couple threads that might work for you. They are somewhat related to the interests you stated, at least.

You're right, the Holocaust is probably not for RP; though I think that's because a lot of people have very preconceived notions about what motivated the holocaust and those preconceived notions, such as the Jonah Goldberg Daniel Goldhagen (always get the two confused in my mind) school of thought, would hamper it. Heck, a holocaust discussion is hard enough without running into all that.

But I'm zipping up before I go further and start a discussion.

There are some topics already in play here that explore the unpleasant parts of human nature, and I'm throwing a couple links your way. I'm pimping at least one of my RP's here, but the other is a friend's that I happen to like;

Army of Shadows OOC

Brushfire OOC

But whatever you wind up doing in RP, good luck with it.

Last edited by Heyseuss on Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Welcome to the board, Sorrel.

I think you'll find your niche easily enough. This place is quite enjoyable. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:04 pm

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH!

My forum had a first name, it's FOOTSTEP
My forum had a second name, it's GHOST
Oh I love to play it every day and if you ask me why I’ll say:
Cause FoG has a way with R O L E P L A Y!

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:12 pm

Is that meant to be sung to the tune of the Oscar Meyer jingle?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:14 pm

Kathryn Lacey wrote:Is that meant to be sung to the tune of the Oscar Meyer jingle?

Where applicable. The lettering doesn't always add up to the original tune.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorrel Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:16 am

Cute doggy pic? Check.

This is Gizmo, he later was given a mow hawk that made him look like Godzilla. I don't know why I don't have any more pictures right now, I never bring my camera to work for fear of it getting stolen, but I can try. Haha.

Hullo L_c4e12a05f27a4c7f92c3de62bbb019b5

And this is Zissou, looking quite rabid after his bath...

Hullo Kittens074

And I must be the coolest girl you've ever not met, Loki. Since, well, I'm definitely a girl. Haha.

...I have kittens too, in case anyone was wondering...This is Mowgli and Balu, they are twins.

Hullo Kittens030-1-1
Sorrel
Sorrel
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:26 am

Aawwwww! So cute! :: squeals anime-style ::

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:34 am

Gizmo is totally staring you down, he's all like "Bring it!"

I don't know why, but I am picturing Zissou in a pirate hat saying "Yarrrrrrr."

Aw shit, you found my one true weakness: Pets whose head and/or legs seem too big for their bodies. Nothing more enjoyable in life then seeing a big dog breed who is still trying to get used to their over sized paws. They are so floppy and clumsy! XD *melts*
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dio the Awesome Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:46 am

Sorry Loki, we've already scientifically proven:

No girls on the internet.
Dio the Awesome
Dio the Awesome