FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everyday Myths that are false, unfounded, or just plain stupid

+3
The Thing Under The Sink
Kalon Ordona II
Valithe
7 posters

Go down

Little Monster Everyday Myths that are false, unfounded, or just plain stupid

Post by Valithe Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:49 am

Everyone has probably heard a myth or two from people depicting something bad or good about life that is just plain wrong. Whether the myth is simply a mistake, a way to make someone feel about a certain situation, object, person, etc., advice on the pitfalls of life, or just something someone heard somewhere; this is the place to post them.

Before I post my myths here is a disclaimer: this topic is not meant to be insulting to anyone, any race, or ethnicity. These are just myths about life that "everyone" can agree that are stupid, outdated, or simply subjective based on society and cultural norms. These myths are not necessarily bad or evil but they are somewhat amusing (at least to me). So without further ado...my myths!

1) Play video games (i.e. WoW, Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, etc.) will have negative effects on your life and can cause one's perception of reality to blur with that of the fantasy world. - I won't say who said this to me but I'm here to say that playing video games is no worse than watching tv or watching a movie. The only difference is that you are using your hands and mind to think through objectives rather than just sitting idly around. Besides playing video games can be a group activity and can actually improve friendships so it's not bad.

2) Guys have to do everything for a girl because girls should be waited on. - As a girl this comes off as a little offensive because I feel that I can hold a door open, carry my own purse/backpack/bag just as well as a guy. Also what's wrong with a girl showing a guy some consideration like pulling out a chair for a guy or holding a door open for them?

3) There is nothing to fear than fear itself. - This is stepping into the gray area because for some people it does work but for me it doesn't. It makes me feel bad for actually being afraid of things. Whenever I hear some of my more fearless friends use this to encourage me, it makes me feel guilty for being afraid and that in turn makes me more afraid to tell them anything.

These are three that come to mind right now that I find either particularly wrong, offensive, or annoying. Like I said in this disclaimer, this is not against anybody's race, gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, or values. I am simply stating my opinion on these "myths". If you disagree then I'm glad because it would be boring to live in a world where everyone thought the same thing.

Thank you for reading this and for putting up with my rambling.

Valithe
Valithe
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Little Monster Re: Everyday Myths that are false, unfounded, or just plain stupid

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:25 pm

Oh there's stuff out there to fear besides fear itself, yes indeedy. Wink But either the fear is healthy (like fear of cutting your own arm off, 'cause that would be stupid, or like jumping into a volcano, because while it might sound cool awesome for the first couple seconds, it's almost guaranteed to be much less awesome cool than you thought, so be afraid!), or the fear is not (like most spiders can actually be squished pretty easily, and most evil dictators can be overthrown with just a little faith, heroism and bloodshed), and all it takes is an equal or greater source of courage to overcome it. ^_^

Though, helping girls out isn't a myth. It's just a change in culture that girls don't tend to like it anymore, 'cause they're all "empowered" and "independent" and might feel this image of themselves endangered if they *gasp* needed help through a door.
An unfortunate side effect of this is it gives guys less opportunity to be nice to girls, and they like to do this very much! (Or should, and for shame if they don't.) Now it seems they're limited to having a nice car and buying her things all the time. Shallowness and materialism. v_v

As for video games, of COURSE there's absolutely nothing at all wrong with them. I mean, we play them all the time, and we're fine. Just like how coffee is shown to be more and more healthy as people continue to drink it. Hurray!
Granted, it's possible to take anything too far, and it is possible to like something a little too much. But for the rest of us, generally following the principle of moderation (relatively, anyway xD), we usually don't have to face crises in identity over fantasy games. Just don't start referring to yourself as your character name in real life. That's how cults start. xD

4) Miners aren't crafters.
That all changed on May 17, 2009. ^_^
Just four days, incidentally, from when this very forum was launched! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Little Monster Re: Everyday Myths that are false, unfounded, or just plain stupid

Post by Valithe Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:53 pm

For the guys helping the girls myth, you have a very good point, and unfortunately I do suffer from a fear of needing too much help or not being independent to the point that I actually do have to remind myself that its in my best interest to accept help from others.

5) Special need children are devoid of intelligence. - This one is very personal to me since I have volunteered and dealt with special needs children and they are quite intelligent. In fact many of them have talents that far exceed a normal person's capability. The only difference is that they have some habits or ways of doing things that are not classic normal but who is really normal these days?
Valithe
Valithe
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Thing Under The Sink Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:38 pm

6 The Gubmint staged 9/11 so they could invade iraq

7 The Gubmint staged the lunar landings; it was all done in a tv studio

8 UFOs landed, but the Gubmint covered it all up

Nope. None of these are true for one very simple reason; The USA government couldn't find it's collective ass with both hands. Saying these are true is giving the government far more credit than they deserve.

On top of that, there's no evidence to support the claims, and in some cases there's actually evidence against it, and yet people still cling to these. It's like they don't remember the Watergate scandal, where evidence came to light despite the government's best efforts to suppress it.
The Thing Under The Sink
The Thing Under The Sink
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Valithe Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:21 pm

The Thing Under The Sink wrote:6 The Gubmint staged 9/11 so they could invade iraq

7 The Gubmint staged the lunar landings; it was all done in a tv studio

8 UFOs landed, but the Gubmint covered it all up

Nope. None of these are true for one very simple reason; The USA government couldn't find it's collective ass with both hands. Saying these are true is giving the government far more credit than they deserve.

On top of that, there's no evidence to support the claims, and in some cases there's actually evidence against it, and yet people still cling to these. It's like they don't remember the Watergate scandal, where evidence came to light despite the government's best efforts to suppress it.

I have to agree with you on these. I actually know someone (names will not be used) who believes this and I actually feel bad for that person because they must live in fear of almost everything. But yes, our government cannot handle certain issues right so I don't see them having the skill or talent to cover up something that would be as massive as these.

Very good myths! Keep up the good work you guys and gals!
Valithe
Valithe
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:20 pm

I actually don't think it's so bad when guys are "chivalrous." I can still be independent and have a door opened for me. In the beginning of my current relationship, my boyfriend opened almost all doors and paid for all meals and whatever. I thought it was strange because I've never dated a guy who did things like that, but it wasn't something I felt was taking away my independence. I didn't feel like it was absolutely necessary for him to do those things, but I also wasn't offended by them.

Now, he'll open doors for me on occasion, and I'll open doors for him. Paying for meals isn't strictly his doing any more, either.

Myth: A woman should know better than to wear "sexy" clothing if she doesn't want to get raped.

I think this is complete bullshit. 1. A woman should be allowed to wear whatever she wants without fearing that a man is going to take advantage of her based on how much skin she's wearing.

2. This is insulting to men. This is like saying that a man is no more than his base instincts, that he has no logical control over himself. It's basically like saying all he wants to do is have sex, regardless of the cost, and he is only capable of thinking with his hormones. I mean... seriously? Humans are sentient beings. We have critical thinking skills; we have the ability to think things through before we do them. What a woman wears does not entitle anyone to rape another.

Furthermore, if a woman is showing some skin, she is not "asking for it."

Also, men are not the only rapists out there, but they seem to be the only ones anyone ever mentions. Sure, there are probably more instances of men forcing themselves on someone, but women do it, too.

Really, I firmly believe that society needs to stop telling people what to do to prevent getting raped and start teaching people to not do the raping in the first place.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Knifey Keith Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:52 pm

That Death Company are even close to as good as Khorne Bezerkers.

It's just plain fuckin silly.
Knifey Keith
Knifey Keith
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:10 pm

Are those bands? I've never heard of either one.

The idea that blondes are not intelligent.

As a blonde, I'm constantly underestimated. People are openly shocked when I know something they don't, and they act like it's a fluke. Whereas, if I make a mistake, they act like it was "only a matter of time."

However, if I had darker hair, people wouldn't underestimate my intelligence as frequently, and if I made a mistake, it would be passed off as being merely "human." The mistake would be the fluke, not the intelligence.

It's really frustrating to me, but there's no way to really change it. If I call people out on it, they're like, "Oh, no. That's not at all what I meant." When in reality, it may not have been a conscious stereotype, but it was blatantly there.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Valithe Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:45 pm

Kathryn Lacey wrote:Are those bands? I've never heard of either one.

The idea that blondes are not intelligent.

As a blonde, I'm constantly underestimated. People are openly shocked when I know something they don't, and they act like it's a fluke. Whereas, if I make a mistake, they act like it was "only a matter of time."

However, if I had darker hair, people wouldn't underestimate my intelligence as frequently, and if I made a mistake, it would be passed off as being merely "human." The mistake would be the fluke, not the intelligence.

It's really frustrating to me, but there's no way to really change it. If I call people out on it, they're like, "Oh, no. That's not at all what I meant." When in reality, it may not have been a conscious stereotype, but it was blatantly there.

In regards to your first question, they are not bands but part of a table top activity called Warhammer 40k. And I do agree that Khorne Berzerkers lay down the hammer in terms of damage. I like to have my berzerkers either in a rhino (bare minimum) or a land raider so they have that protection and then deploy and assault. They are fun to play with and even better to paint, especially skull champions.

As to the whole thing with being blonde and such, I feel you on that. My friends use to say I was "platinum blonde" because I made some little mistakes and now that I'm a "brunette" because I have apparently become more street smart? I'm not sure but I personally think its stupid to base one's intelligence on their hair color, skin color, gender, or race.
Valithe
Valithe
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Knifey Keith Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:43 am

Valithe wrote:
In regards to your first question, they are not bands but part of a table top activity called Warhammer 40k. And I do agree that Khorne Berzerkers lay down the hammer in terms of damage. I like to have my berzerkers either in a rhino (bare minimum) or a land raider so they have that protection and then deploy and assault. They are fun to play with and even better to paint, especially skull champions.

Silly girl, you've fallen into the trap of a free aspiring Champion being worth more than survivability. As well as then even greater trap of that a Rhino has any.

I use to have 30 into two squads of 15- It was a dagger in the side for most people not being able to kill most of the unit in shooting. Once you have an average 10 get into HTH, almost any unit was fucked. I rejected Chaos Marines after the first time they nerfed Berzerkers. However under new rules that I'm aware of… I may give them a go again.

Blood Letters were a big part of my tactic too, but look where that went. An entire, independant Chaos Daemons army? For fuck sake…

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Knifey Keith
Knifey Keith
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Keileon Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:12 pm

The idea that a guy cannot hit a girl, but a girl can hit a guy.

I've always hated this concept, and have gotten into more than a few arguments with guys whose shoulders I have jokingly punched, like two guys will punch each other. Thankfully not all of my friends are like that, but when it gets to the point where a guy explicitly admits that he would let a girl bite his arm and just push her away rather than hit her to keep her away in the first place... ugh.

(Hah, nearly a month since the last post. That isn't out of line, is it? Some forums don't like bumping topics.)
Keileon
Keileon
Mist
Mist

Female

http://www.zejroleplaying.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:53 pm

As long as you are adding to the topic, you are all good.

It's been a while since I've read the thread, so if this one is already here, forgive me:

The premise that all non-religious individuals are mean, immoral, uncharitable, or just plain evil.

I've found that bad people can be found in all walks of life, regardless of religious affiliation or lack there of.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:26 pm

Keileon, I freaking hate that, too! I grew up with three brothers, so maybe that's coloured my opinion on it. However, I believe that if a woman is willing to hit a man, a man should be able to hit her back with the same amount of force. A man should also be able to defend himself against a woman. It's ridiculous that there's a stigma against it.

I mean, it's one thing to beat the shit out of someone, and it's another to give what's been received. I never condone anyone beating the crap out of anyone, regardless of sex, though.

Gadreille, I agree with that. I respect all people of all religions provided they haven't given me a reason to lose my respect for them. In fact, I actually love asking questions regarding their beliefs and practices because various cultures and religions and societies fascinate me. I've met people from both sides (religious and non-religious), and I've come to the conclusion that we're just people. We all have the capacity for great good and great evil.

Myth: If a person is white, they have no idea what it's like to face discrimination.

So, racism doesn't go both ways? I'm about as white as they come without being albino, and I've had plenty of racism come my way. I don't believe in "reverse racism" because racism is racism whether it's coming from a white person or a person of colour. I've been called racial slurs like "cracker" and whatnot.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that people of colour have it worse. White people rule the world and whatnot, but I've faced discrimination in other ways, too. When I was a teenager, I experimented with my sexuality, and I got the worst discrimination of my life. I was bullied every single day by people who didn't even know me, people whose names I didn't even know. I had boys ask me out because they thought a girl who was bisexual would be "easy." I had guys blame my ex-boyfriends for turning me toward girls. I had girls say things like, "Cover you butts with your hands, or she'll try to grab them!" I've been called a slew of hurtful names as well. I even had adults acting caustically toward me.

So don't tell me I can't even begin to comprehend what it's like to suffer discrimination just because I'm a "privileged white girl." Just because one person or group suffers in some way, it doesn't negate the suffering of another group or individual.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Knifey Keith Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Kathryn Lacey wrote:

Myth: If a person is white, they have no idea what it's like to face discrimination.

So, racism doesn't go both ways? I'm about as white as they come without being albino, and I've had plenty of racism come my way. I don't believe in "reverse racism" because racism is racism whether it's coming from a white person or a person of colour. I've been called racial slurs like "cracker" and whatnot.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that people of colour have it worse. White people rule the world and whatnot, but I've faced discrimination in other ways, too. When I was a teenager, I experimented with my sexuality, and I got the worst discrimination of my life. I was bullied every single day by people who didn't even know me, people whose names I didn't even know. I had boys ask me out because they thought a girl who was bisexual would be "easy." I had guys blame my ex-boyfriends for turning me toward girls. I had girls say things like, "Cover you butts with your hands, or she'll try to grab them!" I've been called a slew of hurtful names as well. I even had adults acting caustically toward me.

So don't tell me I can't even begin to comprehend what it's like to suffer discrimination just because I'm a "privileged white girl." Just because one person or group suffers in some way, it doesn't negate the suffering of another group or individual.

In all honesty, my usual jokes aside… Define white people.
Knifey Keith
Knifey Keith
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:58 pm

White people, as in the social category.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Knifey Keith Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:01 pm

Aw sheeiat. My old man, nor my mother belonged to that category.

An IRA terrorist fenian bastard and a greasy wog.
Knifey Keith
Knifey Keith
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Keileon Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:33 pm

Back when I was living in California, Caucasians were the minority where I lived. Every sign in the city was either both in English and Spanish, or just Spanish. And yet I had to deal with that whole "You're white, you don't know what it's like to have someone racist bashing on you" thing. Right. I was one of like three people I knew in High School that was mostly, if not entirely, of European descent, and I had to deal with that every day until I moved out here. Neutral
Keileon
Keileon
Mist
Mist

Female

http://www.zejroleplaying.org

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down