FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

War over the Waters

2 posters

Go down

War over the Waters Empty War over the Waters

Post by Ruu Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:57 pm

"And so...your plan has failed," hissed a voice, filled with sadness and a tint of anger, "Soon, the abominations will be wiped from the planet."

"You're wrong..." another voice, distinctly feminine, trembled, "Not everything goes according to your plans or your wishes. You are not unopposed."

"Believe what you will. But answer me this...How could you allow one so precious to you to go through such danger? The foolish ones worship you and say you are the savior of their lives. They praise you for all that is honorable and good. And yet...you've gambled with fate and done something none of us have ever dared. This is why you are under judgment, and soon will be brought to justice."

The other voice was distinctly silent.

"So...you have no answer? Then I leave you...and your precious one...to a fate worse than death..."

"There is still hope..." the other voice was slightly stronger, "And as long as there is hope, there is light. And where there is Light, I will be found."

"You are beginning to hold on to the antiquated beliefs of the general populace. I pity you for your lack of wisdom..."

With those words, heavy footfalls retreated from the forlorn figure.

"And I pity you..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A young boy with verdant eyes the color of the greenest grass blinked and looked around with a rather dazed expression on his young features. As he struggled to move, he found he was bound tightly with cruel ropes, and even the slightest movement caused pain to wrack his skull. A wet and cold substance matted his pale-blond hair and he could feel the liquid trickling down the back of his neck. His vision was double and he felt lightheaded, as if someone had struck him a resounding blow.

Full realization suddenly dawned on him when he remembered his parents...Where were they? No...they were gone...left to bleed and die by the savage warriors...A loud and terrible chuckle caused the boy to shiver in fright, reminding him that the tormentors were still there. The few days since the attack trickled back into his memory...The rough treatment...constant pain...to make sure that none of the boy's "tricks" occurred again. He had sent half of the warriors flying with mere thought, and it had taken a mage skilled in earth magicks to distract him with flying boulders and an earthquake before they had been able to take him down...He bit back a sob as a hand that was deceptively gentle touched his shoulder. He didn't need to look up to know who it was.

"Waking up again, child?" asked a soft, feminine voice edged with malice, "You should have stayed asleep."

He clenched his teeth as a jolt of pain wracked his young body, throwing off his concentration. The Euphar had hired a trio of pain mages, making certain that no one would interrupt their plans. Pain mages were known for their utter ruthlessness and their delight in causing others...as well as themselves...excruciating pain. This woman, known as Tolactl, was a deceptively pretty woman. Light chestnut hair fell in ringlets around her shoulders and framed doe-like crystalline eyes. She was slim and lithe, clothed in expensive furs and trinkets. But her eyes were filled a hidden malice, and a terror to behold...

"Awww....the baby decides he wants to play a little more?" asked another cruel voice.

Another hand roughly grabbed his shoulder and he could feel a wave of dizzying pain sweep through his body. It was Korjak...Said to be a Vephel, but crueler than a Euphar, even those who hired him were terrified him. He was capricious and caused pain on a whim. He was a tall man with dark hair, unkempt and unshaven. Broad-shouldered and muscular, Korjak was an imposing figure even if he hadn't excelled in the powers of pain mages.

"P-please..." pleaded Rune, finding his soft, little used voice, "Just stop...I-I'm of no threat to you."

"Guess you're not..." grunted Korjak, "But this is rather fun."

"Peace Korjak! Tolactl. I said to keep the boy from escaping, not to kill him. We have...plans for him," said another voice.

The leader of the Euphar force, a middle aged man clad in warrior garments and decorated with war paint, would have said more, but held up a hand to halt. The group was nearing a narrow pass...A perfect place for an ambush...
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

War over the Waters Empty Re: War over the Waters

Post by Knifey Keith Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:42 am

The islands were diverse, but water had always been the constant. People had never known it any other way… Word spread quickly through all the tribes, kingdoms and peoples of the world; rumours of a special child. A child of great power and even greater good, who was said to of been sent to bring the world into joy and peace. Many had been searching for this special child- Until a few weeks ago when the child was found. Those of the Retthet tribes who had been raided by the Euphar were no more than a handful of traumatised refugees who had witnessed the murder and enslavement of those less lucky than themselves. The Euphar Empire had become far more powerful and even more aggressive over the years. Conquering and enslaving neighbouring tribes, their plans for world domination were no longer a secret. Even distant tribes and nations prepared for invasion- Some sent diplomats, others sent warriors.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Try not to row like a pack of rabid penguins." barked the Chieftain of the Kanungayok warriors sailing off to battle. Two long canoes, packed with some fifty Kanungayok warriors between them sailed towards a known Euphar encampment. As the Euphar had invaded Northwards, many other tribes too scared to hold their ground simply fled further North- The news spreading to the North most peoples such as the Vephel, Kanungayok, Kupuyuk and others. Both the Vephel and the Kanungayok accepted this incursion as an act of war; both nations sent out hundreds of warriors.

The two aforementioned canoes neared their target; attempting to remain quiet despite the strong, fast flowing current and consequently chaotic rowing motions of the crews. The warriors were hyped up for combat- Each ready to hack, slash and stab away at their enemies with machetes, knives, spears and axes of iron. Before even leaving the canoes, a group of ten men and in each canoe was designated to hurl harpoons at any attackers in their attempts to land. The warband had thoroughly thought out their assault; they had obtained what they believed to be honest and reliable information from a small group of Retthet refugees they had given shelter and supply to.

The Kanungayok Chieftain reared his head after carefully watching forward for some time. "Slow down, we'll land on the shore just up ahead." he said sternly, the crew gradually slowing down the pace of their rowing. One side then lifting up their paddles on the left, the rowers on the right gently rowing in order to swerve the canoes to the left, pushing them into the shore. The ten warriors on each boat designated to cover their comrades with showers of harpoons; the long wooden shafts with sharp, pointed and jagged iron blades at the end raised- Ready to fly into anything that moved.

The other warriors stepped out of the canoes; each carrying a length of rope tied to their boat. The two canoes being pulled on shore and into the trees as the harpooners stepped out of the way accordingly and back towards the rest of the warband and the canoes. Then rowers and haulers pulled bags and packs from the canoes; filled with supplies, tools and some additional weapons incase of the ones they already wore became broken or lost. All the warriors at least carried a knife or two, as well as having either a spear, machete, axe or bundle or harpoons.

The group was a fearsome and eerie sight; fifty warriors clad in furs and thick animal skin coats with boots, heavy boots and gloves of leather- To see the painted and tattooed faces beneath their hoods would add to their intimidating visage. These weren't simply a pack of boisterous, rowdy men trying to prove their masculinity.

These were Kanungayok; they were warriors from birth. Trained, beaten and brutalised into who they were- They had skill, ferocity, brawn and iron on their side. They were a serious band of fighters, where those of the Retthet or other tribes would simply attack in a rabble of loud, rowdy mobs- The Kanungayok employed tactics, martial arts, science to war. Perhaps not as organised or as industrialised as that as the Euphar, but any Kanungayok warrior knew he could murder an Euphar warrior in single combat easily.

Still, the Chieftain of this war band wasn't so cocky or over confident. The Euphar were dangerous and powerful for many reasons, powerful in ways that the Kanungayok and many others were not. Their ships were huge, their warriors were good at hiding and covering their tracks, they made great stone towns and cities and were good at defending them… Though the encampment they intended to attack was fairly small; the Chieftain had no doubt it would still prove a challenge. As the Euphar had many hidden advantages and tricks at their disposal.

The chieftain looked beyond the immediate sight of trees, to a pair of tall rocky hills; a perfect place for them to set up tents and establish camp. The sides of the hills were exceptionally rocky, with many places to hide if someone approached from the outside was looking- In between the hills was a narrow, but lightly grassy path. Between this movement would be quick… But vulnerable. The Chieftain of the Kanungayok war band did to assume for a second that the enemy would use this pass; despite whetehr or not they knew of their presence or not. He had no idea what moving through their side of the pass would lead to. Whether the enemy was on the other end or simply closer then they thought; it was a big island and though he had decided that making camp in the rocky hills was best, as they could easily conceal themselves and still stay close to their canoes and the shore… It was possible they may have to travel much further in order to find their target.

But their current priority was a safe and advantageous deployment close to their canoes and the river… If things went wrong, this would be their only escape route.
Knifey Keith
Knifey Keith
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:21 pm

The Euphar chieftan scanned the hill with a piercing gaze, but could see nothing out of the ordinary. Still...the Vephel and the Kanungayok were warriors and would not allow this incursion into their land. He knew there were warriors hidden, but needed to know how many without losing his precious few scouts. He turned with piercing eyes to the child and knelt down, a threatening expression on his face.

"This will be the first time you will be of use to us, boy. It said that you have been given a gift by the gods, and you can sense the life forms of others. How many are hiding in the hills? How many have their arrows and spears pointed at us? Answer quickly, or I will allow Korjak and Tolactl to have their fun with you."

Rune averted his face from the terrible gaze of the Euphar leader, shaking his head defiantly.

"I...I will not do anything to help you," he whispered, "You are a cruel man who has killed my parents...and the people I love...You will never use my powers for your own. I would rather die."

"You are but a child, and I should have expected you to have the intelligence of one. Do you not know that you are part of something greater? Do you not realize that the Retthet people whom you speak of as family were never related to you by blood? You were formed from the energies of the gods themselves and you hold unspeakable power. Embrace your destiny...become more powerful than any mortal. We, the Euphar, can help you achieve this goal, but only if you help us."

Korjak tightened his grip on the boy's shoulder, ready to send more shooting spasms through his young body, but the Chieftan held up his hand.

"What do you say, boy? Help us dispose of this enemy, and you will be honored as a god. You will help us show the way to victory! Hinder us...and we will give you a fate worse than death until you become nothing more than a mindless puppet."

Rune fought back the fear twisting his stomach like a knife, even as the pain mages wracked his body with terrible spasms, "I will...never serve you...no matter what you do to me."

The Chieftan's eyes turned frosty as he knelt to whisper in the child's ear, "You will do as I say, boy. Or must I call Rakdos? Of all the pain mages, I hear he is the most brutal and a blood mage at that. I have kept him away from you until now, but I will no longer hold him back if you cannot do this simple task for me. Tell me how many there are!"

Rune could not help but sob even as he shook his head, "I will not help you! Never!"

The Chieftan stood up and sighed, "I have no time to deal with you, but when this is over you will wish you had never been born...Now...even as we speak, the enemy is planning their strategy. Have the Euphar water mages summon a blinding mist and cast it over the passage."

"Why will we not fight them?" one of the other Euphar called.

The Chieftan glared and strode over to the offending warrior, grasping his neck until his life was crushed. He turned to the others.

"Any other objections?"

There was a stunned silence.

"What are you standing around for? Let's go!"

The Euphar water mages gathered and closed their eyes, calling on the powers of the elements to form a mist that would temporarily blind their enemies when completely formed...
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Knifey Keith Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:26 pm

A gradual, but still speedy cloud of fog formed over half the island… The Kanungayok war band had barely even to begin setting up camp when the thick mist fell upon them. Though they had landed on the island with weapons readied and prepared for combat; the thick fog made them extremely vulnerable.

Automatically, the more seasoned warriors for the group knew that this was the work of water mages. A small handful of powerful ones at that; the reality was that it was incredibly hard to harpoon an enemy you couldn't see… Some even went as far as impossible. The enemy could easily shoot from the distance, even if they missed; it cost them nothing as the Kanungayok warriors were stuck inside the fog, blinded. This would begin to be a bloody, vicious battle for both sides… Though the Euphar had a crippling advantage.

The Kanungayok war band was determined to not make it easy for them. One thing that the chieftain knew was that though the water mages made the mist; they still couldn't see through it. Nor could the Euphar warriors that would be sent to hunt down the Kanungayok. In their native language, the Chieftain loudly shouted out commands to his men; all the warriors moving towards his voice. They organised into two separate groups; thirty staying with the Chieftain. Twenty splitting into two groups of ten and sprinting off the rocky hill slopes and into the trees. The other two groups would go find some heads to collect; the first group hid in the rocky hills. The Euphar would have to risk their lives in order to find their enemy in the thick mists; whilst being harpooned and hacked apart by the other twenty men running about in the woods.

Knifey Keith
Knifey Keith
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:00 pm

"Move out," growled the Euphar chieftain as the mist settled.

Normally, he would have fought the foolish curs to the death, forcing them to forsake their cowardly place of refuge, but the Euphar held a powerful prisoner, and the quicker they returned him to the Euphar Empire, the better.

A warrior picked up the child and swung Rune unceremoniously over his shoulder. Rune actually sighed in relief, for this was better than the constant torture of the pain mages. A tight, well-formed rank of soldiers surrounded the one carrying Rune, determined to keep the enemy away from him at all costs. As they ran, cries and shouts of death could be heard as the Kanungayok's advance party began their hunt for scalps.

"We're being attacked," shouted one of the Euphar warriors.

"Keep moving," grunted the Chieftan as they neared the pass, "As quickly as you can."

The mist, however, was more of a hindrance than anything as Kanungayok warriors were able to pick off the Euphar with ease until the single guard remained, still carrying the child. Just as the warrior was about to make it safely through, a harpoon was thrust through his neck, dangerously close to the child. Rune fell with his captor, hitting the ground with a sickening thud. Shaking the stars from his eyes, he rolled away from the Euphar. He closed his eyes and contracted his body, causing the ropes to slip from his slim figure. He got unsteadily to his feet, searching for a way of escape before he was killed by a stray weapon. Without warning, a hand clamped on his shoulder, dragging him further into the mist. He looked up in fright, staring into Korjak's eyes.

"Going somewhere?" asked Korjak with a half-crazed expression, "We're all gonna die anyone, so at least allow me the pleasure of killing you."

"S-stay back..." cried Rune, trying to summon the power he knew he held inside of him, but failing due to his fear.

"What? Are you afraid, little one?" hissed Korjack, shooting pain through the boy's body, "You should have helped when you had the chance. Now you'll die like the rest of them. Even the Chieftan."

A knife slid from his sheathe, causing Rune to close his eyes, waiting for the killing blow. It never came. Instead, the sickening sound of a weapon being thrust through a body was heard, and the hand fell limp from his shoulder. Rune huddled in a ball, not daring to look up, even though someone had rescued him. With his luck, it was probably another Euphar...And even if it was Kanungayok, who was to say they would spare him?
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down