FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Exhale on Elio

4 posters

Go down

Exhale on Elio Empty Exhale on Elio

Post by Moon Ray Mon May 21, 2012 12:43 pm

Dear Amelia,

There is an old saying, that the walls of Kingstown Castle are supported by rumor and gossip. I believe it to be unlikely, in any sense of the phrase, but the wind is certainly prevalent during games' season. And this season, as the saying goes, the King has never been more firmly walled away.

I rarely go to Crown's Market, unless I have to. It is the largest and most central marketplace in the city, and so it is, by custom, overflowing with people. The throngs are made of unwashed adventurers, lost donkeys, touring giants, and salt-soaked refugees, all laced with pickpockets. During events, like the arena games, the crowds are even worse as people pour in to participate or witness.

But I had a need to meet with a friend of mine, who specializes in swords. (A guest at the B&B was newly arrived to Elio and wished to participate in the arena games. I rather liked the boy, and he required a weapon, so I went to see if I could convince a friend of a favor.) I was surprised to find that my friend's shop on the square was empty. Not only was he absent, but his shelves had been picked clean.

My first thought, naturally, was that he had sold his shop and left. People do, when the urge strikes them on Elio. They find a quest, or cross the wrong person and go on the lamb. But my friend had always seemed the stable, homebody sort. I inquired at the packed magic shop shop next door was directed to a bar -serving a few customers at the absurdly early hour.

"Snookie!" my friend raised a glass to me when I approached him. "Have a glass with me. Finest wine in the house!"

"What are we celebrating?" I asked. It did seem he had entered a festive state. I directed the bar tender to bring me a glass, not wanting to be left out.

"Early retirement!" he hooted. I told him I had seen his store, and he explained that there had been a run on swords, throughout the city. I had heard a little of increased weapons sales, though it was not generally a part of my own business. At the time I had believed it was merely a seasonal occurrence, part of the package with the upcoming arena games. My friend had other information.

Fort Giantkiller -which is located a fair journey north and east of Kingstown- had fallen and its inhabitants -soldiers and civilians alike- were slain to the man. It was a tragedy, and a blow to the kingdom's forest-side border. When I learned of it, I heard myself whispering a prayer before I was conscious of it. I didn't know anybody so far north, but it chills the blood to think of a stable, old fort like Giantkiller just ...fall.

Teams were sent to bury the dead and reclaim the fort, naturally. But they found neither.

The dead were vanished: in their place were inky, featureless beings. Sometimes they would seem to have as much mass as a man, capable of striking a soldier down with one hit to the jaw. And sometimes they seemed to be as present as a shadow on the floor -impossible to hold or hurt.

The shadows ambushed as soon as they arrived. The teams scattered and ran; most of them vanished and have not been heard from. (I suppose as many were lost to the surrounding forest as the attack. There is a reason I don't travel towards the forest.)

This all happened several months ago, though. I had not heard a whisper of it. News from beyond Kingstown can travel in some circles and never touch me. Unless my guests speak of it, I hear very little of the wider Elio. (The B&B keeps me well occupied and I don't look for trouble very often anymore.)

Other instances had been reported of the shadow men. Those who are most susceptible (travelers on the road, and people living on the outskirts) have been attacked. Few people escape, and the ones who don't escape vanish.

Even the land is effected by this monster. Some buildings, like Fort Giantkiller, disappear; or they appear as decayed skeletal mockeries of buildings which had stood the day before. Shadows linger in those places, even at the height of noon.

There are other rumors as well, but one has to be skeptical of news so entirely subject to exaggeration. In any case, people are taking the threat seriously. The King has been silent on the subject. He even went as far as to have a geas laid on his soldiers. None of the kingdom's armed forces can even acknowledge the shadow men's existence. Predictably, this has only encouraged the rumors, as the average denizen of Elio has all the inner calm and emotional self control of a three year old on a sugar rush. The swords, my friend predicted, are only the beginning.

If you can, my dear Amelia, I recommend outfitting yourself with combative magic. A sword is relatively more reliable, and magic is certainly a foreign concept to those of us from Home, but I can not imagine trying to fight off a shadow man with anything as mundane as a sword. Where ever you are, keep yourself safe.

Fly swiftly, with all my affection,
-Neta

Neta Snook tossed a thin mattress over the hanging bar, beside the line of drying sheets and pillow cases. She stood on the side of the building, just around the corner from the back patio. The trees were cleared back to give the sun access to the laundry, and it was already beating down in fiercely bright rays.

The blue skies and gentle shift of breeze called to her. Unconsciously, she touched the brown gloves tucked in the back pocket of her breeches -as if saying, "Not just yet. Wait for a tad still."

After a moment of fresh air, twittering songbirds, and city traffic, she pulled herself back indoors; it was far too early in the day to skip off. With breakfast just ended, she had a few hours before anyone was likely to stop in for food. There was plenty of time to tackle the chores waiting on her To Do list.

Because the swinging sign out front required a hammer and a nail, it got first priority. In no time at all she climbed the steepled doorway of her quaint English cottage-style B&B. Perched on the crossbeam, she got to work hammering the loose end of the sign straight. And if she took a little longer than necessary, setting the level and watching the people passing in the street, well, she would blame the weather.
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Exhale on Elio Empty Re: Exhale on Elio

Post by Ruu Wed May 23, 2012 10:56 pm

Bright eyes that mirrored the sky above glanced up at the glorious rays of the sun. They warmed the owner of the eyes considerably, but even better, they partially hid the strange glow that always flickered around his body like a ray of sunshine struggling to burst through a barrier of clouds. But nothing could hide him from those who were adept in the ways of magic, and every world he had yet visited had been home to a multitude of magic users. Even the thick azure cloak and hood he wrapped around his body provided little protection. If only he had found a place where magic was used seldom and where wizards were rarely seen...But he had been given no choice in his blind trips through the Aether, and he had been fortunate to survive many dangerous encounters. If only others hadn't been forced to suffer because of him...Because of his presence, at least one world had been plunged into darkness. This time, it would be different, he vowed it. If any villains would dare to wreak havoc in this peaceful, quiet place, he would fight back. He knew that he had hidden potential inside of his body, for it always seemed to be fighting to break free, an urge to do supernatural deeds.

The young boy took a deep breath, clearing his mind of dark and cloudy thoughts. There were no villains here...no demons bent on using his powers for evil, or magicians with spells of darkness. At the moment it seemed like a bright, happy place and free of care. He could sense an undercurrent of tension, but for now the tension seemed fairly low. It wouldn't do to imagine or invent conflict, for with the imagination could come a certain reality...His first priority would be to find a safe place to stay. Though he had lived long and had learned much, his body strangely did not seem to age as did other humans he had encountered. He was weak and fragile and apparently only looked to be a very young child in the eyes of others. His naive way of speaking did not help others to see that he was really quite intelligent and learned despite his childish looks and mannerisms.

Looking up, he found himself in front of a cottage with a large sign reading Snookie's Bed and Breakfast. In the world of Laistrad, there had been few of these places, but they had been havens, spelled and protected from the rioting monsters on the world. Perhaps here he would find shelter and food. Unfortunately, he had nothing to trade with, and no form of currency. Perhaps he could work for the proprietor here in order to attain for himself lodging and food. Taking a deep breath, he took a few steps forward, when he noticed someone was on top of the sign, steadying it. Was this the owner of the establishment? If she was, should he call to her? He didn't like drawing attention to himself...He hesitated, undecided as to what he should do...
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Thu May 24, 2012 7:30 am

"Welcome!" Neta smiled down at the little bird when she noticed him. A blue bird, with large blue eyes and a curl of blonde hair peeking from beneath his hood.

She rather didn't mind children, when they weren't digging in her flower boxes or hollering meaninglessly. She had even been known to put them to use in the busy seasons. They would earn a couple coins and she got to spend a little more time mucking about in the shed.

Of course this one didn't look like a city boy with too much time on his hands. His cloak (and even more, the seriousness in his eyes) suggested he was a traveler. Neta smelled a customer.

The sign was well affixed. She gave it one last shake and pushed herself off her perch. She landed lightly just behind the boy, stuffed her hammer into its place on her belt, brushed off her hands, and offered her palm to shake.

"People call me Snookie," she told him. "Can I help you with something? We just finished breakfast, but if you're hungry I can have the cook fix up something." In her experience, boys were always hungry; and this one looked too skinny.

Up close, she saw he was barely taller than her waist -and she was short, herself. She pegged him as six and younger than most the children she interacted with. Surreptitiously, Neta glanced to the street, wondering if some adult would notice he was here and come take him back into proper custody. Just at that moment the street was empty.

Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Thu May 24, 2012 10:53 pm

Aaron looked up with wide eyes as the young lady approached him. Her hair was wavy, a light shade of brown, and her eyes were kind. He listened intently to her words, searching them for hidden meaning. He had learned to be wary, even around the least threatening of people. For a few moments, he was silent, allowing himself to feel her emotions. He sensed no anger, no hostility, nor the undercurrents of treachery or deceit. She seemed like an honest person, who ran an equally honest business. At the mention of food, his stomach growled. He was a very young child, and even if he had not been trapped in a human shell, he still would have been counted as extremely young within his own kind.

Satisfied that Snookie would do him no harm and that no others were in the immediate vicinity, Aaron carefully removed his hood. His soft, gold-spun hair fell in slight waves just below his ears and framed his youthful features, his azure eyes. They held an innocent expression, but tucked in their deepest corners was a certain knowledge, a wisdom beyond his years. Around his head could be seen a glow, though it was extremely faint in the resplendence of the sunlight. A mark glowed nebulously on his forehead, shaped in the sign of the wings of doves, Lucia's symbol for peace.

"It's nice to meet you Snookie," he said, his voice soft and lilting, like a melody, "I'm Aaron. I...am actually really hungry cuz I came from...a far, far away place. Only...I don't have any money at all...I don't know anyone here...but I thought maybe I could do some work for you if you would let me stay for just a little bit..."

His voice faltered a bit when he realized how silly that must have sounded. Most people would think twice before hiring a waif such as himself, especially because they would believe him to be much younger than he really was. And who could blame them? He had the body of a six year old child, and even his speech and mannerisms were that of a youth. But if she didn't give him at least a temporary place to stay, he didn't know where he would go. He had survived the trip through the Aether twice and his subsequent stays on the world. But perhaps this would be his last. Perhaps it should be...that way he wouldn't attract darkness to another plane.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Sat May 26, 2012 11:08 pm

"Well, come in, come in," Neta encouraged, deciding on a course of action after her usual half instant of careful deliberation. She waved ushered him through the door, tutting as she went. "Don't worry about the details for now. You just come in. You can hang your jacket up there." She indicated row of coat hooks just past the front door. Three of them were set just above knee height.

The interior of the B&B was dim after the bright morning sun, despite the glow of the electric lamp lights. Immediately ahead were the wide stairs leading to the next floor. They were guarded by a small bar which doubled as a desk for check-ins. The rooms to the left and right both hosted dining tables, though the chairs had been put up while the mopping roomba went to work on the wood floors.

Neta knelt on a bar stool and leaned across the counter to grab a massive book from the far side. She took just a moment to check the room assignment list. Returning the book, she hopped back to the floor and cheerfully led the way left. There was a servants' hallway that was concealed around narrow corners, which was used when guests were occupying the tables. There was also a set of swinging doors to the kitchen -used when bringing out the food was part of the production. Neta brushed through the doors, waving the boy to follow.

"Our cook is actually taking a short vacation right now. I'm afraid you'll have to make due with my skills today." She opened the big refrigerator and scooped up two bowls and a fresh-sealed container, left over from breakfast. "Take a seat," she directed. On the big preparation table, she left the boy one of the bowls. It was filled with sliced fruit -apples, strawberries, melon, and grapes. An appetizer plate and a skinny, three-pronged fork went beside it. The rest of the containers she set beside the stove while she set about creating heat.

"Is this your first time in Kingstown?" she asked companionably once the stove was fired. "We see a lot of strangers this time of year. ...Speaking of which-" Putting a clean glass in Aaron's reach, she took a proper look at him. Inside, away from the morning glare of sun, with his hood no longer concealing his face, Neta could see the soft glow emanating from his skin. "-You are a strange one, aren't you?" she observed. She brushed his hand experimentally (finding no change in the light when she did) before it occurred to her she was being rude. Even if he WAS six. "Orange or Peach juice?"

Last edited by Moon Ray on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Sun May 27, 2012 5:37 pm

Aaron blinked when the woman drew him inside. Maybe she hadn't understood him. Hadn't he told her that he didn't have money or anything to trade with? He opened his mouth to tell her again, but then stopped. Maybe she was just a kind soul like Linwe, willing to help a disoriented young traveler in his time of need. He was somewhat worried that perhaps she would be kind to him now but then demand payment later, but his senses still detected no lie in her. He allowed himself to relax slightly; he needed to trust that she was a good person. It was best to give people the benefit of the doubt, especially when this place seemed so peaceful.

He looked with wide eyes at the interior of the bed and breakfast as he hung up his cloak at the place indicated. Without his cloak, the gentle glow could be seen around his entire body. The inn had a warm, homely feel to it, much more accommodating than on the plane of Laistrad, for those establishments had been forced to double as places of protection, foregoing comfort for the sake of safety. As they entered the kitchen, the young boy couldn't help but to take a deep breath. It smelled so good and reminded him somewhat of the fragrance of Linwe's cooking, though a bit less earthy. His mouth began to water in spite of himself. In his mortal form, he was vulnerable to hunger as any human being, and even deities required sustenance.

He obeyed her command to take and seat, and his eyes widened at the sight of the fresh fruits. They were so lovely and fresh and would most likely be a pleasure to bite into.

"Oh...the fruit is just wonderful," he breathed, as he picked up the prong and began to put a few choice fruits on his plate, "That's all I need, really. You don't have to worry about anything else. It's so kind of you to help me like this...I-I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't met you."

He took a few bites of the luscious fruit, barely restraining himself from gobbling up everything on his plate. He nodded in response to her question as to whether this was his first trip to Kingstown. When she mentioned strangers and their frequent appearances in the towns, he looked up with interest. Did she mean travelers from other countries...or did she know about traversing the Aether to other worlds? When she brushed his hand, he looked up at her in surprise, though not fear. Then again, he didn't blame her. Others had reacted oddly to him as well, and most not as kindly as she had done.

"I know...I'm a little different..." Aaron admitted, "I don't know why my body glows like this...I wish someone could tell me. But the mark on my forehead is a sign of protection from a lady...a good person who used to take care of me."

Here he paused, the memories of Lucia returning unbidden. He shook his head to clear it just in time to hear her next question.

"Oh...I'd like some peach juice. That sounds awesome!"
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Mon May 28, 2012 3:19 pm

"We should all be so lucky to have such protection," Neta observed, opening the big refrigerator door. Despite his protests, the boy was eating the cut fruit like he hadn't had a meal in days. It called to her maternal instincts and they brushed aside his polite words with ease. Snookie's served higher end dishes on a regular basis (and charged appropriately) so she was well within her budget to distribute the leftovers as she liked. It was a privilege she rather enjoyed.

Turning from the fridge, she started to ask, "So who takes care of you now?" The appearance of a yellow spotted butterfly arrested her.

There was a stirring of dread as she looked for the source of the butterfly. It was something she knew she ought to have expected when particular guests slept through breakfast. Framed in the doorway leading to the side patio, stood a young woman with dark circles under her eyes. Two more butterflies hovered over her shoulders -a blue one with black trim, and one with glossy emerald wings.

People swore the butterflies were actually fairies, and Neta was willing to believe it, though she couldn't see it herself. It was some bit of magic, she had been told, a basic illusion to hide them from the eyes of mundane humans. Neta thought more people than not saw the fairies for what they were, but just as many preferred to keep their distance from the little creatures. For the most part they did appear to be fluttering insects -forever lurking around mirrors and reflective pools in the small garden- but Neta had seen them angry as well. They were deadly and seemed to have a streak of cruelty.

"Good morning Kendra," Neta smiled, executing a short bow. "I hope you slept well."

"Who is he?" she asked roughly. She was not more than 25, but her voice was aged and cracking from sleep and stress. She watched Aaron fixedly, radiating suspicion. The yellow fairy was hovering near the boy and Neta was certain it was presenting some kind of threat. (A guess she made from experience with the habits of these three butterflies.)

"Kendra Sorenson, meet Aaron. Aaron, this is Kendra -who is currently a guest staying with us." Neta poured Aaron his juice from a large glass pitcher and turned away to check on the stove. She took it as a matter of pride that she would care for her guests to the best of her capacity, but she would not disturb them. Stepping between Kendra and Aaron and a flock of fairies was not something she was prepared to do.

"He's glowing," Kendra pointed out.

"Can I get you or the fairies anything to eat?" Neta asked. She knew the fairies, like butterflies, preferred as much sugar as Neta could provide. It was the reason the kitchen was so well stocked with fresh fruit that week.

Last edited by Moon Ray on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Mon May 28, 2012 11:49 pm

Aaron looked up at Neta's words, realizing his words had been misleading. Once, the mark had granted him protection from the most wicked of creatures. Now, it could do little more than give him a sense of hope and comfort when he was feeling defeated and hopeless.

"It really...can't do much anymore," he said sadly, voice wavering just a bit, "The woman who...gave me it...was...killed by a demon..."

He found himself closing his eyes, trying to hide back tears, but it was too late. A few teardrops fell to splash silently on the floor. Through his closed eyelids, however, he noticed a faint glimmer of light. When he opened them, he saw a wisp of yellow energy hovering in front of him. At first, it looked to be a mere butterfly, but upon closer inspection he saw that it had a humanoid appearance. White pin drops like eyes could be seen, staring at him with what seemed to be apprehension and a bit of malice. He shivered at the stare, and looked up to see the young girl being introduced by Neta. Her expression wasn't friendly and he wondered if he had come to the wrong place.

"H-hello, Kendra," he said in a soft voice, "I-it's nice to meet you."

Without warning, he felt a sharp tug on the blond strings of his hair and reached up to rub the spot.

"Owww.." he whispered, as he looked to the ball of light floating in front of him, from which he swore he could hear tittering laughter.

He looked with wide eyes at the creature, trying to decide what to do. He wasn't sure what it was capable of and he didn't want to provoke it. When Neta mentioned breakfast, an idea formed in his mind. He gently picked up a strawberry and held it out to the fairy as an offering of peace.

"Please...why don't we start over? Can we just be friends?" he pleaded.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Tue May 29, 2012 8:40 am

"I'm not hungry," Kendra answered the B&B owner absently.

The fairy was responding to Aaron in some way, but Neta only saw a yellow butterfly flitting over a strawberry. She was rather impressed; every time she tried to speak to any of the fairies, they flew away as if from a bad wind carrying over the compost heap. She might have conceded to hurt feelings is she hadn't seen two of them repel a rampaging torus on Court St. After that bloody mess, Neta guessed it was just as well if the fairies didn't like her.

The yellow fairy did fly to Kendra after a moment, and the girl accepted something too slight for Neta to see. She suppressed her curiosity and carefully poured the contents of one of the bowls over the hot dome-shaped pan. Guests were always hungry. The food was too good to pass up, if she did say so herself.

She let the mixture sit on the pan for only a slow moment before picking it up with the tip of her spatula. There was no reason to turn it over; the shape of the pan ensured that it was thin enough to heat thoroughly. Careful not to let it tear, Neta was pleased to note that one side was a perfect golden brown. She rolled it loosely and set it on a plate.

Several more followed. She had mastered the dish a while ago, and she could produce breakfast in a matter of seconds once the pan was hot.

"He's not one of The Dark Ones," Kendra announced after inspecting whatever the yellow fairy had delivered.

"I don't expect so," Neta answered agreeably. She had no idea what The Dark Ones were, but Aaron didn't bring to mind anything remotely dark. Though he did seem a little fragile which concerned her.

"Has somebody new arrived?" Kendra asked, entering the room properly. She spurned the food to peek into the dining room. "Did someone visit?"

"Just Aaron." Neta arranged a plate with two large crepes. "And the milk boy." From his predilection towards strawberries and peach juice, she surmised Aaron had a strong sweet tooth. His crepes were filled with mixed fruit chunks, chopped into smaller piece for that purpose. She decorated them with a zigzagging drizzle of honey, a pool of fresh creme, and small shavings of bitter chocolate. The chocolate would be easily balanced by the sweet and it gave the dish a hint of depth rather than overwhelm her guest with sugar. Then she dusted the plate with powdered sugar for good measure.

Kendra liked something a little more staid in the mornings. Ham and cheese crepe filling, with oatmeal cakes had already been prepared for her and set aside when she hadn't come to breakfast. Neta knelt in the open fridge, looking for the correct bowls.

Kendra, however, was clearly concerned with other things. The young woman leaned across the counter to look out a window. "It's not the milk boy," she muttered irritably. "Something very dark is here."

"Is that right?" Neta asked. They waited a moment but the sun was shining and the birds in the garden were singing through the open patio door. Neta shrugged.

Last edited by Moon Ray on Sun Jun 03, 2012 12:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamless Days Wed May 30, 2012 1:04 am

While it may not have been what Kendra had meant, the timing of her statement was all too perfect. For as she warned the others of the darkness, a lone figure walked into Kingstown. But that was the thing about Time. It was perfect.

Rayne's head was low, his golden eyes hidden beneath both his blue hair and the small brim of his hat. His tell tale smirk sat upon his lips. He walked swiftly through the throngs of people, moving lightly out of people's way and apologizing for being there in the first place. He seemed to be such a kind man. His manners were that of a gentleman.

He slid his hand into his right pocket and withdrew a gold pocket watch, checking the time hastily. It wasn't but three seconds after returning the watch to it's rightful place, that he felt a small hand retrieve it. Rayne's eyes immediately saw the young urchin that had stolen his pocket watch as the boy shot into a side alley. Rayne followed swiftly.

He saw the young boy standing alone. His back to Rayne, seemingly fiddling with the watch. The boy was dressed in Victorian era clothing, but Rayne couldn't help but notice he only had four fingers, rather than five. Evidently this child was from another world, but nevermind that. Rayne grabbed the boy by the back of his neck.

"You should not have done that." He commented, before throwing the boy into the wall to his left. There was a loud "crack" as he impacted, most likely his nose breaking upon impact with the solid surface. The boy's limbs went limp as he slipped into unconsciousness, and Rayne immediately took back his pilfered goods. Suddenly however, a voice rang out from down the alley.

"Oi!" It cried "Is that how you out of towners treat kiddies now?"

From the shadows emerged two burly men, along with the scrape of footsteps as another stepped into the alley behind Rayne. Safe from the view of the crowds, it seemed these three thugs were getting ready to teach Rayne a lesson. He noticed these men all had four fingers too, evidently they were working with the boy from the start. Perhaps that was their game? Have someone follow the young thief into the alley, followed by a quick beating from these burly men. Suddenly their victim would be naked in an alley with no cash, not safe at all.

The smirk that danced upon Rayne's lips never faded as he looked once more at his pocket watch.

"While I would love to play with you... I am awfully late." He stated "And unfortunately... you are standing in my way."

As he placed the watch back into his pocket, the two men in front of him charged. The first to reach him swung his arm in a wild hook, to which Rayne ducked. He countered with a jab, followed by a straight into the man's ribs. Following this, he threw his own hook into the man's sternum. Sidestepping the suddenly winded man, Rayne aimed for the second attacker.

Before the second could throw an attack, Rayne spun. Bringing his leg up during the spin, his heel impacted with the man's head, sending him to the floor in a heap. Wasting no time, Rayne's smile broadened as he stepped closer to his downed opponent, and raised his knee high into the air. Bringing his foot down with unexpected strength, there was a crunch as Rayne stamped down on the assailant's head. A moment of silence as the downed man's head filled with pain, before another crunch. Beneath Rayne's boot, were the now pulpy remains of his attacker's head.

Before the first man could recover, Rayne snapped his fingers, and black chains flew from out of nowhere. And with intense speed, they pierced the still winded man's vital organs. He fell to the floor, moments away from death. Rayne now looked to the final attacker, whose eyes were widened in shock. He took a step back, unable to scream, before finally turning, beginning to run.

"Aristole, if you would please." Rayne whispered.

Two chains flew from the walls, and pierced the man's Tibia's on both legs. He screamed in pain as the chains remained there, holding him in place. Rayne walked up to the man, grabbing his hair in his hand and pulling him back. Staring into the man's eyes, Rayne used his other hand to pull the hair from one side of his face, allowing the man to look into his golden eye.

"You shouldn't have done that." He echoed his warning to the boy from before, who still remained still on the floor. Unconscious among the dead and dying.

The man's final scream was cut off as one last chain appeared in the air, and flew through the man's skull. Following this, the chains all vanished back into the void. Rayne's smirk remained on his face for all to see.

Leaving the bodies behind, he exited the alley and once more stepped into the throngs of people. His kind façade was on once more, excusing himself, and stepping out of the way as he walked. And all those people were unaware that this kind man was indeed a monster. He refused to be impeded in any way, and continued on his way through Kingstown.

Ikaruga was ready to begin the game that would lead to his goal.
Dreamless Days
Dreamless Days
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Wed May 30, 2012 10:45 pm

Aaron was relieved when the fairy hovered lightly over the strawberry, reaching down to seemingly touch it before flitting back to her mistress, exchanging something with her. At the smell of something delicious, the young boy couldn't help but to glance back at Neta and the treat she was cooking for breakfast. He couldn't believe how fortunate he had been to find someone as kind as Neta. He only hoped that Kendra wouldn't be inclined to kick him out.

"He's not one of The Dark Ones," Kendra announced after inspecting whatever the yellow fairy had delivered.

The child breathed a sigh of relief at Kendra's words, grateful that she had not deemed him to be an enemy.

"I don't like the dark..." he said with a shudder, "It...really scares me."

The more Kendra spoke, however, the more his stomach began to twist with a gut-wrenching fear. He had dearly hoped that he'd find a world without darkness, without an evil that seemed to be attracted to his light like a magnet. The demon had wished to use him as an eternal sacrifice to power a dark deity that had once been sealed away. If Aaron hadn't been fortunate enough to be pulled through the Aether, he would have suffered a fate worse than death. And the Dark traveler had somehow known about his special abilities to travel to other worlds. He had tried to use black magic to force Aaron to open a portal to a world ripe for the taking for him. Fortunately, once again, Aaron had been able to escape. But this time, Aaron felt that there would be no escape. He couldn't explain it, but he felt tired and drained. There couldn't be any darkness here! There just couldn't! And yet...

The child closed his eyes, removing the barrier he had placed around his darkness sensing abilities. Though it might have been silly, he believed that if he could sense the darkness, the darkness could use his own ability to pinpoint his exact location. He normally didn't use it, but he wanted to find out what threats were out there. Besides, he'd only check quickly...His breath was nearly taken away at the amount of darkness he felt. Some of the darkness was undefined and bestial, as if it had little intelligent will. But there were a few...sharp spots on his mental map that indicated a being of great cunning and power...and one was within the borders of Kingstown itself! He quickly replaced the barrier around his powers, unable to endure anymore.

"There is...darkness here...Kendra's right..." he whispered with wide eyes, trying to bite back tears, "I...I should go...I-I don't want to put either of you in danger."

Little did he realize he most likely had already made a mistake...
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:33 pm

"Pish Tosh," Neta declared. She unloaded Kendra's breakfast ingredients on the counter in a business-like fashion. "I don't care if a Raven Mocker comes to visit, there's no reason to skip breakfast."

She gave Kendra a stern look that had the young woman sitting reluctantly on a stool beside Aaron. Neta hated to see her guests upset, and Kendra -with her darting cortege of fairies- had a way of spreading her unease. The poor boy looked close to tears.

"Eat," she told them both. When she was sure they weren't about to run off, she continued preparing a small meal and went on in a companionable voice, "As a matter of fact, we did have a Raven Mocker visit once -a few years ago. It's a kind of witch," she explained. "You can't see them usually, but they look like man-shaped shadows in the corner of your eye. I was forever jumping about like a frog on the tarmac in summer. They have a rather unpleasant attraction to the sick; it seems they feed off of a person -all invisible- stealing their last years."

She neatly added a plate to the counter: this one suited to Kendra's tastes. A teacup saucer of sugar water went beside it. Predictably, the fairies ignored it -having little interest in a gift from someone as low brow as the B&B owner.

"Fortunately, Kingstown is rather prone to heroes," Neta said. "Like the forests gather monsters, the city collects heroes and adventurers -all on some quest or other. Even Kendra, I believe-"

The woman grunted and took a bite of food to excuse herself from having to add anything. Neta accepted that as a win.

"Well, the poor Raven Mocker was on exemplary behavior for three days, before he finished his business and moved on. I only learned about it later when two of my guests and one of our neighbors came to tell me -all quite independently- that they had been keeping an eye on the situation. This is rather one of the safer places in the land," she concluded for Aaron, nodding.

"Stand forth the owner of this establishment!" a man's voice called boldly from the front hall.

Neta covered a laugh at the timely interruption and excused herself.

Kendra waited until the kitchen doors were swinging shut before leaning towards Aaron. "Snookie is kind, and a lot of people in town love this place. People keep an eye on her, because she has no magic and she isn't really a threat to anyone. But don't think just because she's safe, that you are. Watch your step in town. That glow isn't going to do you any favors. Especially if it looks like you can't protect yourself." She ate another bite, "Maybe you should look at getting yourself a weapon."

Brisk steps carried Neta swiftly across the dining room. Her staffing levels were down, so she didn't have anyone manning the front desk. It was an inconvenience that she wished to remedy soon with the busy season coming on. Perhaps it was premature, but she liked Aaron for some of her workload -even as young as he was.

The voice of her caller was one she knew, so when there was no one immediately to be seen in the foyer, Neta looked down. Smaller than some rats, a tiny man in shining armor was watching her approach. He rested his weight on an ebony spear, and despite the outsized world he stood in, managed to look dignified.

"Good morning, Sir Knight," Neta murmured, knowing noise carried to him very well.

"No time for pleasantries, miss!" He shouted quite fiercely. "There's trouble in the streets! The Big Folk are on stampede! Boots are quaking the earth below us! Death looms near!"

"Oh dear," Neta knelt beside her visitor. Despite his claims, she preserved her outward calm. This was the same knight who battled dragonflies in the garden and seemed to have some prejudice against elves. "Perhaps you'd better explain in full," she suggested.

"Are you acquainted with The Magic Shop in King's Market?" he inquired.

"Of course."

"There is some kind of trouble there, churning the Big Folk up like a beetle in an ant hill. There is such ruckus, and hints of burning..."

"Another riot?" Neta sighed. "Well I doubt it will come to burning. The guard will take care of it, if the shop owners themselves don't."

"Yes, but what of those who live in the eaves of the shop's roof?!" the knight demanded.

"Who lives there?" Neta asked, her stomach sinking.

"The two young snipes, recently orphaned by a stalking werecat, living alone on the charity and mercy of good, god-fearing folk..."

Neta resisted the urge to face-palm in front of company. She actually had a fondness for the strange flightless birds that were considered myth on her home world. They were cheerful little mischief-makers that occasionally visited when the daisies were in bloom. They were also rare -probably endangered.

Kings Market was not her favorite place, however. Especially if the crowd was in upset. ...Then again, she only needed to go around the crowd...

"I say," the tiny knight coughed. "Are you still hosting those lovely butterflies-"

"No time for that!" Neta told him, smartly. "Innocents to rescue and all! Aaron!" she called, pitching her voice to be heard in the kitchen. "It seems I've found a quest of my own! I'll be running into town for a bit!"

Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Dreamless Days Sun Jun 03, 2012 11:42 pm

A deep voice suddenly made itself known behind Neta, as heavy footfalls descended the stairs leading to rooms.

"There's fighting in the market?" It asked.

Neta briefly looked over her shoulder to see one of her prior customers, young man with crimson hair spiked up, with it ending in a ponytail at the back. He was dressed in dark blue pants made of a denim like substance, with leather sown into them, along with a black sleeveless combat vest of some sort. It looked similar to the styles of earth, if from another time though. His feet were clad in large black combat boots, while his left arm was adorned with a silver gauntlet. His right arm remained free.

He hadn't given Neta his name, at least, not a real one, but he'd only stayed a few nights. He was obviously some kind of mercenary, in town simply looking for work.

"Looks like I know where I'm headed. Thanks for the advice Tiny." He stated "Oh. And thanks for the room love."

And with that, the red headed man pulled a small bag of something from his pocket, and dropped it onto the counter with a wink. Following this, he left the establishment, heading in the direction of the market.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rayne was making his way through Kingstown when he suddenly felt it. A slight niggle in the back of his head. However, this niggle soon exploded in pain, causing Rayne to drop to one knee. It was only momentary, but it had been strong. As he waited for the ache to subside, Rayne couldn't help but growl lightly, dropping his façade momentarily.

"Someone... someone knows I am here? Who would be searching for me at all? Unless..." He whispered.

Cyrus? Surely not. The boy didn't possess such knowledge or power. Then who? Rayne couldn't help but wonder at who it had been. Luckily though, whoever had been looking at Rayne wasn't all that experienced in the art, for Rayne had been able to glimpse back.

While he had only seen the location for a second, the burst seemed to come from somewhere close by. Not to mention close to Snookie's. Looks like Rayne's path, and whoever was looking for him's, would cross.

Rayne had business in Kingstown, but required a place to stay for the night. As usual, he was headed for Neta Snook's B 'n' B. In the past year since arriving in Elio, Rayne had made a habit of dropping in from time to time. As far as Neta was aware, Rayne was just a simple traveller who had been whisked away all of a sudden to Elio. Since then he'd been going about, travelling Elio at large. Though he always dropped in to say hello when passing through Kingstown.

His ever present smirk once more found itself upon his lips as he continued on. And soon after, he was turning into the street outside the B 'n' B. There he saw something peculiar. As he neared the B 'n' B, a young man stepped out. As he walked in the direction away from Rayne, Rayne couldn't help but feel a tug at his memory. As if he remembered him from somewhere. However, he quickly put it out of his mind and stepped into the establishment.

Upon seeing Neta, his smirk formed into a full smile. His friendly appearance she was used to now in full effect.

"Ah! Neta my dearest! It's been too long!" He cried "Would you happen to have a room available for me? I'm in town for just the night, and I thought we could have a drink at the tavern!"

However, Neta suddenly barrelled past Rayne, heading in the direction the red headed man had gone.

"Sorry, can't talk! Business!" She called as she ran out the door.

"No apology needed! I will wait here for your return!" Rayne called after her.

As she left, Rayne heard murmuring from beyond, down in the kitchen. He slowly made his way into the room, and was greeted by a woman who had three butterflies flapping around her, though because Ikaruga was no human, he wasn't fooled by the disguise. He saw the fairies for what the truly were. But the woman wasn't all, what appeared to be a young boy was sitting at the table eating food. He was strangely enough, emitting a small glow. This peaked Rayne's interest. The two were suddenly quiet as Rayne entered the room.

"My apologies. I did not mean to startle either of you." He said "I was just coming down here to wait for Neta. My name is Rayne Derrond, a pleasure to make your acquaintances."

As he finished his sentence, he bowed low, showing respect.

"I do hope you can forgive me for interrupting your breakfast." He stated.
Dreamless Days
Dreamless Days
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Aaron smiled in spite of himself at Neta's reassuring words. She seemed to be a confident person and her courage seemed to be contagious. Only...Lucia had been confident and courageous and she even she had fallen to the darkness..Yet, the luscious food smelled so tempting and it was filled with sweet delights, a meal he couldn't pass up. Besides, what harm could there be in breakfast? Neta had been kind enough to prepare it for him. Shouldn't he oblige her by at least partaking of it? There would be plenty of time to decide what to do after that, right?

As he ate, he listened to the owner's description of a Raven Mocker. They sounded hideous, much like the demons on the plane of Laistrad. Demons fed off of humans regardless of their condition, however, both of their spirits and of their...flesh. He still didn't understand how he had survived the torments of Grizelrix....By all rights after such an encounter he should have died, but had instead been pulled into another world. Shaking his head to clear it of such terrible thoughts, he listened of the various heroes within the town who had protected the others from the terrible Raven Mocker. Perhaps there was hope here. It sounded like there were quite a few travelers with astounding powers. From the small "power map" he had created in his mind, he had sensed quite a few beings of light with formidable amounts of energy. It would take a particularly bold villain to cause trouble here. As he ate the delicious food and listened to the soothing words, he began to feel a bit better and even more confident. The light around his body was noticeably brighter. Kendra glared at him, however, and he quickly dimmed it as best as he could.

"Sorry...I just can't help it when I'm feeling happy," he said softly.

He looked up when Neta was called away, only to be addressed by the girl sitting beside him. Her dire words brought a shiver of fright down his back and renewed his fears. A weapon? He had never been one to use violence to solve his problems, but maybe that was why bad things had happened to him so many times.

"Maybe...you're right," he admitted, "I...I just never fought before. The darkness always seems one step ahead."

"And that's why you need a weapon," replied Kendra bluntly, "Trust me. You won't be able to talk your way out of an encounter with one of the Dark Ones, or any other evil creature around here for that matter."

The silence was awkward for a moment before Neta called to them that she was leaving. Innocents to rescue? Was someone hurt? He wanted to call out after her, or even to follow her, but she was gone and Kendra was glaring at him again.

"Don't do anything stupid. You still don't have a weapon," she pointed out, "And that glow will only make things worse for anyone around you."

Aaron nodded with sigh; he supposed she was right. He stiffened noticeably when a suave, cool voice could be heard behind them. He slowly turned around to see a tall pale man with shocking blue hair standing behind them. He seemed to be posses great wealth and be of some importance due to his well-tailored suit and precious pocket-watch. Beneath the mop of blue hair, the boy swore that he could see a glint of gold...Was that the color of his eyes?

Rayne's words were polite enough, but his aura felt...off. Kendra seemed noticeably perturbed and looked ready to excuse herself, the fairies flitting around her in a tizzy. Aaron let his senses clear so that he could get a better mental picture of the man. Immediately he sensed that beneath the cool facade there was something deeper and darker, something definitely out of the ordinary.

He found himself wondering what the man would think of his glow. The demon had said his aura was Divine...The Dark Traveller had mentioned something about a powerful deity, and yet none of these things made sense. Aaron was no deity, and though his powers were strange, he was hardly omnipotent. Isn't that what a god was? Little did Aaron realize that both dark beings had been able to sense that there was something more to his mortal shell. The demon had certainly felt his divine power and somehow knew there could be a way for him to obtain eternal life. It was through dark experiments that he had tried to "rid" Aaron of the shell, and why the child had been in so much pain. The Dark Traveler had been a mystery, but he had been after the boy's ability to not only travel through the Aether, but to manifest himself physically on other planes. Even Harkin had not been able to achieve such a feat, for though he could travel through the Aether, he could have no physical effect on the planes.

Aaron found himself trying to get a glimpse of the man's eyes, for they were the window to the soul. He had no doubt that Rayne had less than noble intentions, for he had always possessed a mysterious sense of truth. And yet without a glimpse into his eyes...He tried to probe deeper with his senses, but was met with a wall of resistance. He felt a nudge at his shoulder and blinked, looking at the fairy tapping his arm quite rapidly. He realized he had been staring rudely for a few moments, and that the silence was getting awkward. What had he been thinking?

"A-ah...i-it's no problem at all," he stammered, trying to smile and to make light of the situation, "I-I'm sorry for being so rude. I just...just got here and am trying to take everything in. My name is Aaron and this is..."

His voice trailed off as Kendra glared at him and he decided it would be wise to let her introduce herself.

"Is my friend," he amended, though Kendra's glare became somewhat stuck between anger and confusion, "It's nice to meet you, sir."
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Raziel Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:36 pm

I walked through the streets of this strange world for hours before finally stopping in an alleyway of a brightly lit building. I leaned against the wall and gasped as I pulled a knife out of my side and dropped it to the ground.
I looked behind me and stared at my would be attacker. Some fool thought I would be easy prey. He thought wrong.
My name is Marcus and I don’t belong here.

Why does this always have to happen to me? I thought to myself as I stared at the wall opposite to me.
I tried to take in more of my surrounding but found that it was increasingly difficult to move my neck. Which I'm pretty sure is not a good thing.
Now that I think about it, a whole lot of things suck in my life right now. I'm in some crazy world with no food, no money, no bed, no friends, allies, or favors to call on.
And I almost forgot... No humanity.
My life has now entered the metaphorical toilet.
I heard soft footsteps approach me from the alleys entrance. I forced my neck to turn and face my new visitor.
Her scream startled me enough to make me jump, and in my position that was not a very pleasant experience.
I looked more closely at her, trying to get a good look at her while I still could.
She was a tiny thing, she would probably not even reach my chin. She had piecing eyes and wore an outfit I haven't seen in a century, although I have to say she pulled it off.

"Can you give me a hand?" I asked.

Before she could reply my world began to spin and I felt my body slid down the wall I was leaning against until my head bounced off the ground.
Then everything went dark.

Last edited by Raziel on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:19 am; edited 11 times in total
Raziel
Raziel
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:52 pm

Neta didn't slow down when she reached the street. She was serious about keeping the tiny knight out of the fairies' way. She was relieved when the small shining man caught up to her, riding a sparrow with a tiny harness and bridle. The bird flitted over her shoulder and kept pace with her.

"The main street is in turmoil, miss!" the knight called. "Head towards the Sunflower Forest!"

Neta acknowledged his advice and trotted down Breeze Lane where one of the residents kept a garden, blooming with sunflowers. It had always amused her, how the tiny knight saw the world, and she had started learning his names for the city not long after they met. At a time when fairies were not staying as guests, Snookie often had the knight over to tell his tales of daring-do -which he always did in the form of epic poems.

King's Market was not far as the crow flies, but she had to cross a little-used canal bridge to get there quickly. Most people walked around, where the streets were wider and better policed.

"Let's do this smartly, Sir Knight," she said, picking her way towards the canal. "I have guests to get back to."

"And innocents to save!" he agreed.

At the height of the arching bridge, Neta caught a glimpse of the market through the peaked roofs. The mass of color that was the crowd churned with rare, explosive energy. Trouble was not unheard of -as anyone would expect in a place where so many different people about the multiverse fathered. The royal guards served to keep the incidents in check for the most part. Riots occurred on occasion, and the guard contained them and punished the relevant parties. These riots would not have been worth noting except that they had become more and more frequent. This was the third riot in fifteen days, by Neta's count. They were bothersome; she hoped the guard solved things quickly.

"Do you not remember where the magic shop is?" the small knight called out, concerned.

Neta ducked behind a building before reaching the street at the intersection. She grinned over her shoulder and led the way to a tall yellow gate. It only took a moment of fumbling to lift the inside latch. Then she was through.

Narrow streets, accessed by long alley ways, existed between the buildings around the market. Shop owners set out the garbage there, or discussed business without prying witnesses. Most people never suspected that the alleys were there, but locals and veterans of the streets had learned to employ the back roads with efficiency. When there was trouble, it was almost always from outsiders; locals adapted to carry on with their affairs.

Neta hopped over a discarded signboard and jogged down the narrow alley with little resistance. She was glad she thought of it when the roar of the crowd -on the other side of a tall line of roofs- became near on deafening. her heart beat for self preservation as she hurried along.

Whatever had happened in the market turned the people ugly. They weren't just out of control, they were viciously, spitefully angry.

A backdoor exploded outward, several meters ahead of Neta. She felt herself jump a good four feet into the air. A woman was pulling a purloined battle axe from the remains of the door when a guard barreled into her. A sharp tap of his night stick knocked her out for the rest of the day.

"Long live the King!" Neta called when the guard looked up to scan the alley for other threats. Instinct dropped the tavern owner to her knees before she had a moment to think.

"Get out of here!" the guard called gruffly. Neta nodded, keeping her hands in the air -visible and empty.

"He's gone," the knight told her after a heartbeat. "And that rioter is passed out. Let's hurry."

"Yeah." Neta was dismayed to find her mouth was fiercely dry after the short fright. Nevertheless she pushed herself to her knees and continued. "Is the riot putting these shops in danger?" she asked, waving to indicate the walls that enclosed her.

"I'll look. Up, Steed!" The knight took the sparrow darting up over the peaks of the buildings to view the shape of the disturbance. Neta kept running.

She was still two blocks away from her destination and starting to slow down to a more cautious speed when something caught her eye. It was a shape in the shadows down an unoccupied alley. For some reason she looked twice.

"EEUGH!" Neta's scream was lost in the roar of the crowd in the next street. She wasn't aware of having moved when the far wall slammed up against her spine.

There, on the floor of the dim alley was a man. His body was horribly mangled and lost in twisted flesh and bloody pools, but she saw his face looking up at her in a grotesque supplication. There were more shaped behind him -at least one more whole person. Neta couldn't bear to look again.

It was beyond horrible.
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Raziel Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:13 pm

I am not killed too easily. I've survived worse. But she didn't know that.
So when my eyes opened and I took a deep breath, she didn't take it well.

"Oomph!" she gasped as she fell down onto the floor.

I peered over the edge of the table I was laying on."What are you doing on the ground?"

She stood up quickly and dusted herself off.
I pulled myself off the table and stood up to my full height.

"No one should have survived those wounds." she said, glaring at me with those eyes of hers. But the over all effect was lessened since she had to stare up at me.

"Yep." I agreed."No one should."

She gave me a funny look."But you did?"

"Yes."

"You're confusing."

"No. I'm Marcus. What's your name?"

For a moment she was caught off guard."Neta, but who..."

"Thanks for getting me out of the alley. But I really got to go."

I turned around and walked toward the closest door.

"Wait a minute! You can't just walk out of here!"

I grabbed the doorknob, opened the door, and looked back at Neta.

"Apparently I can." I took one step forward , but before I could even get completely out the door I tripped.
My hands shot out and I caught myself before I landed.
I stood up and looked at what made me lose my footing.
It was a dead body.
Scratch that, make it bodies. And whatever had killed them left a stench of magic so thick I could almost taste it.

I turned back to Neta."I stand corrected. I may have to stick around awhile."

Last edited by Raziel on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Raziel
Raziel
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Moon Ray Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:05 pm

Neta swallowed rising bile, feeling as if she must be dreaming. It wasn't the dead -she had seen dead before. More often, since coming to Elio. It was the way they were scattered about like so much refuse. And that heavy scent that burned in her nose -incense, maybe. It was a smell she had come to associate with magic.

She counted five bodies in the immediate area. That she didn't count more, may have had to do with the psychological blinders she'd put on herself. She wouldn't be able to keep moving if she gave in to the horror, so she didn't let herself see. It had been almost beyond her strength to haul Marcus into the nearest shop, as he bled a red streak across the cobbled alley. She had been certain she could feel his bones moving out of place beneath her grip (It had reminded her horribly of fruit pudding dessert.) As she levered him onto the table of the abandoned herb shop, she was certain he was already dead.

Apparently not, however.

"Be care-" She stumbled after him, across the wood floorboards. She was amazed he could talk, much less walk. He wasn't well, but in comparison to the corpse she had moved out of the alley, he was in the pink of health.

He flashed her an incorrigible smile before turning the knob on the front door and pushing his way out. When he tumbled out of sight, just as abruptly, Neta strangled a scream in her throat. She rushed after him and found him picking himself up. Even more people -bodies- were strewn about the front stoop. Neta forced herself to look away from them immediately. She was suddenly terrified to seeing someone she recognized.

"I stand corrected. I may have to stick around awhile."

Neta felt her control weaken, and the first faint bubbles of hysteria tickle at the roof of her mouth.

Out of nowhere a purple blast of raw magic shot across the street. It hit the open door, narrowly missing Neta's head. She ducked and instinctively grabbed hold of Marcus' arm, dragging him back into the shop and its relative safety.

"Rioters!" she gasped by way of explanation.

They had attracted attention now though. She pulled the door shut, still steaming with purple magic. Before it closed, she saw two people disengage from the press of the crowd and head towards the herb shop. One carried a broad sword like he knew what to do with it.

"Are you okay?" Neta demanded, looking Marcus' body over. She still didn't believe he wasn't about to keel over, but she wasn't going to question it if it was true. Her small stature would never support the tall, muscle-heavy man if it came to that. "We need to get-"

A blast of red fire roared over the front windows. Magically propelled, but physically hot. The glass shattered and shards blew inwards. Neta ducked again.
Moon Ray
Moon Ray
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Raziel Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:12 am

I could feel the heat coming from the blasts. Neta had called our attackers 'rioters'. I don't know what they were going crazy over and to tell the truth I don't really care.
I pulled myself from Netas' grasp and crawled over to the window and crouched beside it. I could feel power racing from my chest down through my arms. Soon I could hear the hum of electricity and tiny arcs of lightning jumped over my knuckles.
I watched one guy knock off any shards of glass that still clung to the window frame with a broadsword and a second man jumped inside, an angry white flame burning in his palm.
I lashed out with my hand outstretched and a stream of power rushed from my fingertips and struck the second guy, knocking him completely off his feet. He fell to the ground in a twitching heap. The first man leaped into the store and turned toward me.
Suddenly a potted plant flew through the air and broke over his head. Showering him with dirt. We both looked over and saw Neta standing on the other side of the room with a deer-in-headlights look.
I turned back to the swordsman, ran up to him, and gave him a swift right cross. He dropped like a rock.

I looked at Neta and gave her a thumbs up."Thanks for the distraction."

She gave me a shaky smile."No problem."

"So what do we do now?" I asked as I walked over to her.

"Give me a minute to think." she said, and she closed her eyes .

"What are you doing?"

"Thinking." she said, sounding slightly annoyed.

"Think faster."

She opened her eyes again."We need to get somewhere safe."

"Do you have anything in mind?"

She smiled at me."Maybe, but first you have to help me with something."

"Help you with what?"

"THIS IS NOT WHAT I HAD IN MIND!" I yelled over the roar of flames.She had two birds in her hands, and apparently they couldn't fly

I stood on the roof of some magic shop in the King's Market. At some point the mob torched the place with us inside.

I can't believe I agreed to this.

"HOW ARE WE GONNA GET OUT?" Neta yelled in my ear.

"DO YOU TRUST ME?"

"NOT QUITE."

"WELL, YOU'LL HAVE TO TAKE A LEAP OF FAITH THEN." I grabbed the small woman and held lifted her up into my arms, she held the the two birds close to her chest.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?" she screamed.

"TAKING THAT LEAP." I yelled and I jumped out the window.

For a while nothing happened and then I felt a strong gust of air that lifted us up and out of the marketplace. Usually I would have been to do this with ease. But I was running on fumes tonight so I had to use all my concentration on making sure that we didn't go splat.
After a while, when the sounds of the angry mob faded, I began to lower us to the ground as gently as I could.
At about five feet above the ground my concentration wavered and we were dumped unceremoniously on the ground.

"Ow." I said as I stared into the night sky, I turned my head and found myself staring at a pair of boots.

"How did you do that?" Neta asked, couching down to bring her face to my level.

"I...can move.. air... currents... sometimes I can fly." I gasped.

"Cool."

"On some days." I asked pulling myself into a sitting position."So now what? Got any treed cats or little old ladies that need help crossing the street?"

"Not yet." she said with a smile.

"So...What was that you said about somewhere safe?"
Raziel
Raziel
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down