FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Allow me to introduce... Me

5 posters

Go down

Allow me to introduce... Me Empty Allow me to introduce... Me

Post by Fawkesflames Wed May 16, 2012 2:00 pm

Hello FoG people. I'm new around here, though not new to RP, and can't wait to get my hands dirty. I'm still fleshing out my character, which simply can't be done properly without posting IC. He's viewable in my profile so if anyone is interested, shout in my general direction.

As for me, I'm a student. I'm studying history, specializing in European and Western Civilization. I spend a great deal of time reading and writing, both for pleasure and for school. I have a great respect for the written word and am delighted to have found a role-playing forum that enforces the proper use of English. In today's technological, 140 character limited society I often fear that future generations will believe "chat speak" to be proper English. While doing some "T.A." work for a professor I came across two papers that caused me to lose my faith in humanity. The students spelled "you" as "u" and "are" as "r". They also had zero understanding that "they're," "there" and "their" do not all mean the same thing. With that in mind, I couldn't wait to find a haven of sanity and I'm truly hoping I've found it here.

I have a long RP history. I started in a small Harry Potter RPG community, hence the screen name, and honed my skills for over ten years. Wow, it's been that long. I played many characters, mostly male despite the fact that I'm female. I really love in-depth plotting with twists and turns that keep it interesting. Hopefully someone will be willing to take me under their wing until I find my feet around here.

Cheers!
Fawkesflames
Fawkesflames
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Allow me to introduce... Me Empty Re: Allow me to introduce... Me

Post by Lord Revan Wed May 16, 2012 5:08 pm

Welcome to FOG, Fawkesflames!!! You have come to the right place if you are looking for some fun Role-playing. I am sure you will find something that peaks your interest.

My name is Marc and I am one of the OOC Mods here, so if you need any help or have any questions feel free to contact myself or any of the other staff and we will be glad to assist you.

Enjoy your stay!
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Wed May 16, 2012 7:56 pm

*offers wing*

Welcome to the FOG, Fawkesflames! cheers
Or should I say, welcome home. Wink

This is indeed a haven of eliteracy, proper English, great community, and awesome role-playing. Very Happy We've worked hard to keep it that way, too.
But it's like in the movie, "If you build it, we will come."
If a space exists for eliterate roleplayers and writers, then by and large it'll be the eliterate writers and roleplayers that migrate there.

I'm quite looking forward to role-playing with you sometime!
If you have any questions as you're getting started, right here in your intro thread is a good place to ask, while we're all getting to know you anyway.

Welcome again, and enjoy the swirly mists! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Fawkesflames Wed May 16, 2012 8:17 pm

I'm slightly confused as to how threads/plots are started here. On the forums I've previously frequented, you could simply post an open thread and anyone interested would reply. This does not seem to be the case here.

Should I be reaching out to members prior to posting so there's already a developed plot-line before a thread is started.
Fawkesflames
Fawkesflames
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Wed May 16, 2012 8:21 pm

The way I believe it works, well at least one of the ways is to go to the forum, whether it is casual, advanced, or one on one. In each of those forums there is an interest check sub forum. You can post the type of RP you are interested in and discuss it with whomever else responds to your post.

Another way is to post your characters in the archives. Get to know people in the OOC boards, or even join in the chatbox when you can. Those are just a few of the ways. I hope that was a help to you.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Wed May 16, 2012 9:34 pm

There's a rule about OOC information in IC threads, so that's why we have both OOC subforums and Interest Check subforums, so all that chatter can be kept out of the storyline.

You could skip Interest Checks if you want and start in with an OOC and garner players by talking to them one at a time or something. Or if you're feeling confident with your idea and you don't mind anyone just jumping in, you could just post the IC thread and wait for people to respond or PM you, but you run the risk of someone forgetting and posting something OOC in the IC.

The way it's set up to work the easiest here is to set up an interest check thread, or respond to one, if you're looking to join rather than create. Then an OOC goes up where people put all the info, profiles, and talk about the RP. Then, at a decided point of development--whether the intent is to lay the tracks before the train or to a whole plot before start--the IC thread will go up (or open for posts, if the GM has already created the topic).

Everyone has their own way of going about interest checks and OOC and IC's and all that. If you look at a couple you'll get a good idea, but don't feel constrained. Very Happy

A lot can depend on what type of role-play you're doing. Casual, advanced, private... large scale, small scale... all that can affect the kinds of method's you'll use.

Interest Checks tend to be straightforward and to the point. It's about seeing if anybody's interested in a concept.

The OOC is where, okay, we have everyone, let's make sure we're all on the same page.

And the IC is where it all comes together on the page, so to speak. Very Happy

Last edited by Kalon Ordona II on Wed May 16, 2012 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Wed May 16, 2012 9:36 pm

Sorry Kalon. I will make sure from now on to let new members know this,. I just thought the interest check was a good place for her to start. Thank you for correcting me
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Wed May 16, 2012 9:37 pm

No, you were correct. I was merely elaborating. No worries. Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Wed May 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Ahh ok.
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu May 17, 2012 11:31 am

Welcome to FoG, Fawkes!

A Basic Greeting:

I'm sure you'll find that this forum is a haven for literacy (or as Kalon says, eliteracy). We frown upon chat speak even in our OoC sections where things are most relaxed.

I've found that a lot of people prefer to play the opposite sex/gender. I, personally, fail at it unless it's just a minor, side-character, but I definitely have respect for those who can do it and for those who can easily switch between them.

Kalon and Revan seem to have already informed you how to get started, so I'll just introduce myself.

My name is Kathryn, and I'm one of the Admins. If you have any questions, you can of course ask any of the staff, but I'll always be available for giving answers, too. I'm sort of like the counselor admin though I have been doing other things as well. If you have any issues with your account, I can help with that, too.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy yourself!

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Tue May 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Welcome to FoG, Fawkes! Sorry I'm a bit late to the welcome wagon. You're definitely in the right place for high-quality role-playing! It looks like the others have covered the basics, so I'll just say enjoy your stay, and please ask if you have anymore questions!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down