FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finishing a Roleplay

+3
Kalon Ordona II
Blade Barrier
Tartra
7 posters

Go down

Have you finished (or ever finished) a roleplay in the last three years?

Finishing a Roleplay Votele1033%Finishing a Roleplay Voteri10 33% 
[ 6 ]
Finishing a Roleplay Votele1067%Finishing a Roleplay Voteri10 67% 
[ 12 ]

Total Votes : 18

Finishing a Roleplay Empty Finishing a Roleplay

Post by Tartra Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:44 pm

I’m interested in people’s response to this. The survey underneath is to get a more in-depth look into what the poll’s asking, but – despite the length – the poll is what I’m actually waiting for answers from.

Edit: The end goal of this is to see if there's enough people who've seen a roleplay to the end to make a general FAQ built up from experience directly related to completing one. Talent's not an issue here, but for those who have come to improve themselves as writers, an FAQ is something that could help their commitment, organization, plot planning, and confidence (because it's no small feat). And, quite importantly, with November coming up, there's incredible potential for helping with novels.

Edit2: Some responses have a list of comments after them (e.g., e) None; I do not allow others to have input on my post, I already know the plot and can therefore be trusted, I created the roleplay/read the roleplay request and know what to expect). THESE DO NOT ALL HAVE TO APPLY TO YOU. These are added to give you an idea of what using that response implies (as seen in one of the responses with conflicting statements: "None; I like to be surprised, the plot has not been established, I have low expectation of making it that far, I have high expectations of making it much farther"). Just pick the best option, not suggested statement. Smile

Please pick the ONE BEST response for each question. Please BOLD or UNDERLINE or OTHERWISE MARK your response. For questions whose answers vary, please base your response on a recent roleplay you have not completed (and do not intend/expect to).

Spoiler:

Last edited by Tartra on Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:46 pm; edited 3 times in total
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2851668/1/The_Other_Kind_of_Roomma

Back to top Go down

Finishing a Roleplay Empty Re: Finishing a Roleplay

Post by Blade Barrier Sun Oct 16, 2011 6:52 pm

I hope you don't mind, but I found it easier to just delete the responses that didn't sound like me. I also wrote out my response to questions I didn't fully understand.

1) Pick the response that best describes you.
I have completed a roleplay multiple times.

2) What best describes your preferences for creating/starting a roleplay?

I exclusively/primarily create group roleplays (more than two people).

3. What best describes your preferences for joining a roleplay?

I exclusively/primarily join group roleplays.

Part B: Creating a Roleplay

1. How often do you create a roleplay?

Yearly / Infrequently

2. When do you decide to create a roleplay?

When I have a general plot in mind or When it is requested.

3. How thoroughly do you discuss your first post with your partner(s)?

If you mean what my first post says about my RP, then it's very descriptive, if you mean do I actually tell them why I did what I did, then I do not discuss my first post.

4. How thoroughly do you discuss the plot?

Fairly thoroughly, unless it's not my RP. I prefer to be surprised.

5. How rigidly do you stick to the plot?

The "plot" has to be flexible to serve all the participants of course. But the general idea is always there.

6. How much notice must you have for a change in the plot to be acceptable?

See above.

7. How much control does/do your partner(s) have over the plot?

I like to make my partners feel like they're in control, but the basic idea never changes. everything always gets back on track in the end.

8. How thoroughly do you screen your partner(s)?

Meh... I'm easily annoyed by even slightly sloppy writing, but I allow everyone to participate for the most part.

9. What is your primary concern in creating a roleplay?

d) Keeping others organized or interested

Part C: Participating in a Roleplay

1. How many roleplays are you typically involved in at a time?

One... 2-3 proved to be too much with my social life.

2. How often have you overcommitted yourself?

Not usually; my schedule is steady, I know my limits, I’m aware of my free time and of others’

3. How often have you joined a roleplay with people you have never roleplayed with before?

Occasionally; I write with whoever is interested

4. How important is getting to know your partner(s)?

Somewhat, knowing what drives them is important, but anything beyond that is irrelevant.

5. How often do you talk to your partner(s) outside of the roleplay?

Occasionally; I talk to my partner when I can but I do not feel obligated to be friends/get to know them

6. Has your opinion of the person affected your participation in the roleplay, regardless of the roleplay itself?

Very rarely. I can put up with almost anyone.

7. How often do you discuss the roleplay with your partner(s)?

Frequently.

8. How often do you discuss your schedule with your partner(s)?

Occasionally; they typically know my schedule for the week/next two weeks

Part D: Beginning a Roleplay

1. How organized must a roleplay be to begin?

Somewhat; a plot should be agreed upon, characters must be described, character sheets should be in place, everyone’s extended absences should be known, most partners are active, questions should be answered

2. How thoroughly are character sheets detailed?

Quite; each partner should know what a character can do

3. How thoroughly is a character screened?

Not very; partners must be aware a character will be used, any character can be introduced but continued use is not guaranteed. it's all about maximizing fun for everyone.

4. How much consideration is given to the first ten posts in advance?

Moderate; the first posts are there to prove we can write that far, the first posts allow everyone to familiarize themselves with the roleplay.

5. How much input should each partner have in another’s post?

As much as possible, while realizing there are times everyone will have to act as individuals.

Part E: Leaving a Roleplay

1. What compels you to leave a roleplay?

Lack of interest

2. Have you left a roleplay you started?

No

3. Have you left a roleplay you specifically asked to join?

Yes

4. Have you, in a group setting, left a roleplay immediately after someone else left?

No

5. Have you, in a group setting, left a roleplay before your second post?

No

6. Have you, in a group setting, left a roleplay because of too many participants?

No

7) Have you left a roleplay because of too many characters?

Yes

8) Have you left a roleplay because of the post length?

No

9) Have you intentionally delayed posting/altered your posting capabilities to force your partner to leave or finish the roleplay early?

No

10) Have you, in leaving the roleplay, informed your partner(s) of your decision?

Yes, but I don’t always

11) Have you, in leaving a roleplay, been met with surprise, anger, hurt feelings or a request to continue?
Yes, my partner(s) was/were surprised, angered, hurt by my decision, and attempted to have me continue

12) Have you, in leaving a roleplay, ever revived/rejoined it?

Yes, because I was asked

13) Have you, upon leaving a roleplay, taken offence to old partner using the old plot?

No, but I wouldn’t want my significant contributions or original characters to be used

14) Have you, in leaving a roleplay, ended it the same way someone else ended one on you before?

No, because I remember how they did it and didn’t enjoy it

15) Have you ever left a roleplay to punish someone?

No

16) Has someone ever complained about/accused you of abandoning a roleplay?

Yes, but it was slander

17) Has someone’s reputation (suspected, slanderous or otherwise) for abandoning roleplays deterred you from writing with them?

No; I did, however, keep very low expectations

Part E: Your Thoughts

1. Have you noticed a trend among people you can’t finish a roleplay with? Have you taken any steps to change things?

I've found that almost everyone will leave you eventually. There's nothing you can do but talk to them and try to keep them interested by listening to them and letting them leave their mark on your world.

2. If you have completed a roleplay before, what was the main reason for your commitment?

Why else? I enjoyed it.

3. What is your most common stumbling block in roleplaying?

My partners. It's too easy to take them too seriously and let their leaving/behavior spoil your enjoyment. Remember that this is a fun thing, and their leaving/behavior is just a small obstacle you have to overcome.

Last edited by Blade Barrier on Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blade Barrier
Blade Barrier
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:00 pm

Thanks so much for your input, Blade! There's a lot of experienced roleplayers on FOG who can definitely help out by sharing their success stories. Very Happy I'm thinking I should have made a section about tips for those who've made it to the end.

One tiny thing, though: by ending a roleplay, I meant leaving it for whatever reason. I guess I'll have to reword that part.
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:19 am

There hasn't been a completed role-play on FOG yet, so you'll probably get a lot of the same responses in that regard, unless people are finishing them on other sites. ^_^

That survey looks interesting, though.
Here goes!

Part A: Basic Information

a) I have completed a roleplay multiple times.
b) I have completed a roleplay once and recently.
c) I have completed a roleplay once but have not since.
d) I have not completed a roleplay but have come close multiple times.
e) I have not completed a roleplay but have come close recently.
f) I have not completed a roleplay.

a) I exclusively/primarily create private roleplays.
b) I exclusively/primarily create group roleplays (more than two people).
c) I create a reasonably even number of private and group roleplays.

a) I exclusively/primarily join private roleplays.
b) I exclusively/primarily join group roleplays.
c) I join a reasonably even number of private and group roleplays.

a) I have never created a roleplay (skip the remaining questions of Part B).
b) Monthly / Frequently
c) Bi-monthly
d) Yearly / Infrequently
e) Only if there is guaranteed interest (e.g., an interest check has been answered)
f) Only by request

a) When I have an established plot in mind
b) When I have a general plot in mind
c) When I have a vague plot in mind
d) When my partner(s) and I decide on an established plot
e) When my partner(s) and I decide on a general plot
f) When my partner(s) and I decide on a vague plot
g) When it is requested

a) Quite thoroughly; they need to know what to expect
b) Fairly thoroughly; I give them a basic idea
c) Not very thoroughly; I put little emphasis on discussing the very first post
d) I do not discuss my first post

a) Quite thoroughly; I like to know what to expect
b) Fairly thoroughly; we ensure we have a direction before we begin
c) Not very thoroughly; often the plot isn’t established, the plot is simple, or I am not willing to provide many details
d) I do not discuss the plot; I prefer to be surprised

a) Quite rigidly; we agreed, we haven’t gone far enough to change the plot, we are both comfortable with the current plot
b) Fairly rigidly; the initial idea doesn’t change, but curveballs have been thrown
c) Not very rigidly; the plot constantly changes, either from newly added elements or from revealing/establishing a previously unestablished plot
d) The plot changes frequently; I or my partner(s) frequently add new elements

a) I prefer not to have the plot changed once established
b) Much notice; I created the roleplay for a specific reason and did not intend to change it
c) Some notice; I don’t wish to have ideas disrupted and would like time to prepare
d) Little notice; I expected changes but would like time to prepare
e) No notice; I prefer to be surprised

a) Much control; I did not begin with an established plot or prefer to be surprised
b) Some control; changes are accepted but the plot was previously agreed upon
c) Little control; I would prefer to know this plot will not be disrupted
d) No control; I specifically created a roleplay for this plot

a) Quite thoroughly; I have a list of expectations I need met
b) Fairly thoroughly; I have some expectations that can be met by several people
c) Not very thoroughly; I have one or two expectations that can be met by most people
d) No screening; I will roleplay with whoever is willing

a) Creating and developing the plot
b) Finding a suitable partner
c) Completing it
e) Entertainment

a) Five or more
b) Three or Four
c) Two
d) One

a) Frequently; I have a rapidly changing schedule, I join most plots I enjoy, I underestimate my free time
b) Occasionally; my schedule sometimes overwhelms me, some roleplays become too demanding, I sometimes underestimate my free time
c) Not usually; my schedule is steady, I know my limits, I’m aware of my free time and of others’
d) Never; I know exactly what I’m getting into

3. How often have you joined a roleplay with people you have never roleplayed with before?
a) Always; I’m new to roleplaying, I like to write with new people
b) Frequently; I like to write with new people, I don’t like some of the roleplayers I know
c) Occasionally; I write with whoever is interested
d) Not usually; I roleplay within the same group of people, I prefer to roleplay with people I know or trust
e) Never; I only roleplay with people I know or trust

a) Extremely; I’m uncomfortable writing with someone I don’t know, I’m very sociable, it makes writing easier
b) Quite
c) Somewhat
d) Not very
e) Not important; I’d rather focus on the writing

a) Always; we are friends outside of the roleplay, we are getting introduced, it is important to talk to my partner(s)
b) Frequently
c) Occasionally; I talk to my partner when I can but I do not feel obligated to be friends/get to know them
d) Not very
e) Never; I’d rather focus on the writing

6. Has your opinion of the person affected your participation in the roleplay, regardless of the roleplay itself?
a) Yes, I have only joined/left/avoided a roleplay because of a partner
b) Yes, I have been persuaded to join/leave because of a partner
c) Yes, I have been more/less involved because of a partner
d) No; I typically do not know my partner(s), I typically do not talk to my partner(s), I tend to focus on the writing

a) Always; it’s the only reason we speak, it’s all we ever talk about, the plot requires a lot of planning/preparation
b) Frequently
c) Occasionally; I am not the one to bring it up but will discuss it, I sometimes discuss plot points
d) Not very
e) Never; I do not discuss the roleplay

a) Always; they typically know my schedule for the next day or sooner, including minor/moderate presses for time
b) Frequently; they typically know my schedule for the week, including moderate presses for time
c) Occasionally; they typically know my schedule for the week/next two weeks
d) Not very; they typically know my schedule for the month, including major presses for time or extended absences
e) Never; I don’t know them well enough, I am not that committed to the roleplay, I assume they know/can wait, I leave a general message for everyone regarding my absences

a) Extremely; a plot must be established, character must be accepted, character interaction must be agreed upon, everyone’s schedule must be clear, everyone must be active, all questions need to have been answered
b) Quite; a plot must be established, characters must be developed, character starting places must be agreed upon, everyone’s schedule must be known, everyone must be active, most questions need to have been answered
c) Somewhat; a plot should be agreed upon, characters must be described, character sheets should be in place, everyone’s extended absences should be known, most partners are active, questions should be answered
d) Not very; a plot should be known, characters should be named, skeleton character sheets should be in place, general questions have been answered
e) Not at all; a vague plot should be known, characters are named in the first post, character sheets are not written/used, writers supply their own answers to questions

a) Extremely; it isn’t fair for a character to do what hasn’t been pre-established/agreed upon
b) Quite; each partner should know what a character can do
c) Somewhat; descriptions should be given and major changes should be reflected
d) Not very; basic descriptions are all that are needed
e) I don’t use character sheets

a) Extremely; original characters are not allowed encouraged, specific requirements must to be met, changes are readily requested
b) Quite; characters must meet the listed requirements, changes are readily accepted if the character does not fit the plot
c) Somewhat; characters must be given the go-ahead before they are used
d) Not very; partners must be aware a character will be used, any character can be introduced but continued use is not guaranteed
e) Not at all; every character introduced is used

a) Extreme; the first posts should establish the plot and should therefore be co-ordinated
b) Strong; the first posts set the tone for the rest of the roleplay
c) Moderate; the first posts are there to prove we can write that far, the first posts allow everyone to familiarize themselves with the roleplay
d) Weak; the first posts are not the most important, the first posts are only a small part of the bigger picture
e) None; I like to be surprised, the plot has not been established, I have low expectation of making it that far, I have high expectations of making it much farther

a) Extreme; their post affects the roleplay as a whole and therefore their actions should be made known in advance
b) Strong; co-writing or consulting others on a post is crucial in many instances
c) Moderate; input from others should usually only come in when my post directly affects other character(s), input should only affect the overall roleplay rather than the specific post
d) Little; input from others should only come by request, input should be restricted to the overall roleplay
e) None; I do not allow others to have input on my post, I already know the plot and can therefore be trusted, I created the roleplay/read the roleplay request and know what to expect

Part E: Ending a Roleplay

1. What compels you to end a roleplay?
a) Lack of interest
b) Lack of time
c) Dislike of characters
d) Dislike of partners
e) Dislike of plot (e.g., changes made over time, lengthy focus on a disliked plot point)
f) Dislike of posts (e.g., writing style, length, filler)

2. Have you ended a roleplay you started?
a) Yes
b) No
c) I have not created a roleplay

3. Have you ended a roleplay you specifically asked to join?
a) Yes
b) No

4. Have you, in a group setting, ended a roleplay immediately after someone else left?
a) Yes
b) No
c) I have not been in a group roleplay

5. Have you, in a group setting, ended a roleplay before your second post?
a) Yes
b) No

6. Have you, in a group setting, ended a roleplay because of too many participants?
a) Yes, because I was told there would be less
b) Yes, because I underestimated the effect the group size would have on me
c) Yes, because I ultimately wanted to privately roleplay (or group roleplay with only selected partners)
d) No
e) I have not been in a group roleplay

7) Have you ended a roleplay because of too many characters?
a) Yes
b) No

Cool Have you ended a roleplay because of the post length?
a) Yes; they were too short
b) Yes; they were too long
c) No

9) Have you intentionally delayed posting/altered your posting capabilities to force your partner to end the roleplay?
a) Yes
b) No

10) Have you, in ending the roleplay, informed your partner(s) of your decision?
a) Yes, I always/often do
b) Yes, but I don’t always
c) Yes, but only one of my partners [For group roleplays only]
c) Yes, but I didn’t wait for their reply
d) No, I stopped posting
e) No, I stopped posting after dropping many hints/constantly referring to some persistent obstacle (e.g., school, work, general schedule, health, writer’s block, other roleplays)
f) No, they were fine without me/didn’t notice
g) No, I specifically chose not to
h) No, I was nervous about their reaction
i) No, I never consciously intended to stop roleplaying/it just happened

11) Have you, in ending a roleplay, been met with surprise, anger, hurt feelings or a request to continue?
a) Yes, my partner(s) was/were surprised by my decision
b) Yes, my partner(s) was/were angered by my decision
c) Yes, my partner(s) was/were noticeably hurt by my decision
d) Yes, my partner(s) attempted to have me continue
e) No
f) No, I didn’t wait for their reply

12) Have you, in ending a roleplay, ever revived/rejoined it?
a) No, because the issue remained (e.g., the partner was still involved, the posts were still disliked, the posting still took too long)
b) No, because it went too far ahead without me [For group roleplays only]
c) No, because the partner(s) were no longer active/willing
d) No, because of hurt feelings/etiquette/politeness/fear
e) Yes, immediately where we left off
f) Yes, but with minor/significant changes
g) Yes, but by restarting the roleplay
h) Yes, but not with the same partner(s)
i) Yes, because I was asked

13) Have you, upon ending a roleplay, taken offense to old partner using the old plot?
a) Yes, if it was my plot
b) Yes, if my significant contributions were also used
c) Yes, if my original characters were also used
d) No, it was a generic plot/fandom
e) No, I wouldn’t have left if I’d wanted it
f) No, but I wouldn’t want my significant contributions or original characters to be used
g) This hasn’t happened to me

14) Have you, in ending a roleplay, ended it the same way someone else ended one on you before?
a) Yes, because that someone else did a nice job of it/let me down easy
b) Yes, because it’s typically how it happens
c) Yes, because I had similar reasons for it
d) Yes, because it was the easiest way
e) No, because I forgot how they did it
f) No, because I remember how they did it and didn’t enjoy it
g) No, because this situation called for a different method
h) This hasn’t happened to me

15) Have you ever ended a roleplay to punish someone?
a) Yes, but it was after a considerable amount of time putting up with them
b) Yes, and it was my intention to do so
c) Yes, and for reasons unrelated to roleplaying
d) Yes, but at the request of someone else
e) No

a) Yes
b) Yes, but it was slander
c) No

17) Has someone’s reputation (suspected, slanderous or otherwise) for abandoning roleplays deterred you from writing with them?
a) Yes; I didn’t/don’t intend to roleplay with them
b) Yes; I have warned others
c) No; I did, however, keep very low expectations
d) No; I was, unfortunately, also abandoned by them
e) No; I have not abandoned or expect to be by that person
f) This hasn’t happened to me

1. Have you noticed a trend among people you can’t finish a roleplay with? Have you taken any steps to change things?
They tend to, (A), be busy or impulsive, (B), have sub-par writing--enough to produce reasonable quality but not enough to work well in a group, (C), try to tailor the world to their characters instead of tailoring their characters to the world.

I try to find a good core team to start with and be consistent enough that the core group will stay till the end. I also make allowances in the plot or setting to accommodate flighty players who drop in and out. Either that or I'll close the RP when I have a good team. I'll often make exceptions even in a closed RP, though, if someone I really like wants to join.

2. If you have completed a roleplay before, what was the main reason for your commitment?
n/a

Length of time. Duration.
Life happens, people change. It can be difficult to keep a RP alive over the course of several months or years.
Personally I'm still working on solutions for this.
Fast-paced role-plays aren't always feasible, but I think that's the most ideal. Take a summer and produce something awesome, with a definite goal so you know when you've come to the end.

On the other hand, not all RPs have to finish. There are plenty of kinds of role-plays that are just fine going on indefinitely until it peters out.

Either way, that seems to be the main stumbling block in the RP's I've been in.
Duration, or unclear goals.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:14 pm

Thank you for filling the survey out, Kalon! Yes, completed roleplays are definitely going to have to have been from outside FOG, but it gives us a broader view on how to survive out there. Once this all gets put to full use, I mean. Smile

I should probably do this too, considering I'm asking others to do it.

b) Monthly / Frequently
c) Bi-monthly
d) Yearly / Infrequently
e) Only if there is guaranteed interest (e.g., an interest check has been answered)
f) Only by request

g) When it is requested

c) Not very thoroughly; often the plot isn’t established, the plot is simple, or I am not willing to provide many details

a) Quite rigidly; we agreed, we haven’t gone far enough to change the plot, we are both comfortable with the current plot
b) Fairly rigidly; the initial idea doesn’t change, but curveballs have been thrown
c) Not very rigidly; the plot constantly changes, either from newly added elements or from revealing/establishing a previously unestablished plot

b) Much notice; I created the roleplay for a specific reason and did not intend to change it
c) Some notice; I don’t wish to have ideas disrupted and would like time to prepare

a) Much control; I did not begin with an established plot or prefer to be surprised

b) Fairly thoroughly; I have some expectations that can be met by several people
c) Not very thoroughly; I have one or two expectations that can be met by most people

c) Completing it
e) Entertainment

a) Five or more
b) Three or Four
c) Two
d) One

a) Frequently; I have a rapidly changing schedule, I join most plots I enjoy, I underestimate my free time
b) Occasionally; my schedule sometimes overwhelms me, some roleplays become too demanding, I sometimes underestimate my free time
c) Not usually; my schedule is steady, I know my limits, I’m aware of my free time and of others’

b) Frequently; I like to write with new people, I don’t like some of the roleplayers I know
d) Not usually; I roleplay within the same group of people, I prefer to roleplay with people I know or trust

a) Extremely; I’m uncomfortable writing with someone I don’t know, I’m very sociable, it makes writing easier
b) Quite
c) Somewhat
d) Not very

a) Always; we are friends outside of the roleplay, we are getting introduced, it is important to talk to my partner(s)
b) Frequently
c) Occasionally; I talk to my partner when I can but I do not feel obligated to be friends/get to know them
d) Not very

d) No; I typically do not know my partner(s), I typically do not talk to my partner(s), I tend to focus on the writing

a) Always; it’s the only reason we speak, it’s all we ever talk about, the plot requires a lot of planning/preparation
b) Frequently
c) Occasionally; I am not the one to bring it up but will discuss it, I sometimes discuss plot points
d) Not very

a) Always; they typically know my schedule for the next day or sooner, including minor/moderate presses for time
b) Frequently; they typically know my schedule for the week, including moderate presses for time
d) Not very; they typically know my schedule for the month, including major presses for time or extended absences
e) Never; I don’t know them well enough, I am not that committed to the roleplay, I assume they know/can wait, I leave a general message for everyone regarding my absences

a) Extremely; a plot must be established, character must be accepted, character interaction must be agreed upon, everyone’s schedule must be clear, everyone must be active, all questions need to have been answered
b) Quite; a plot must be established, characters must be developed, character starting places must be agreed upon, everyone’s schedule must be known, everyone must be active, most questions need to have been answered
c) Somewhat; a plot should be agreed upon, characters must be described, character sheets should be in place, everyone’s extended absences should be known, most partners are active, questions should be answered
d) Not very; a plot should be known, characters should be named, skeleton character sheets should be in place, general questions have been answered
e) Not at all; a vague plot should be known, characters are named in the first post, character sheets are not written/used, writers supply their own answers to questions

a) Extremely; it isn’t fair for a character to do what hasn’t been pre-established/agreed upon

a) Extremely; original characters are not allowed, specific requirements must to be met, changes are readily requested
b) Quite; characters must meet the listed requirements, changes are readily accepted if the character does not fit the plot
d) Not very; partners must be aware a character will be used, any character can be introduced but continued use is not guaranteed

a) Extreme; the first posts should establish the plot and should therefore be co-ordinated
c) Moderate; the first posts are there to prove we can write that far, the first posts allow everyone to familiarize themselves with the roleplay
d) Weak; the first posts are not the most important, the first posts are only a small part of the bigger picture
e) None; I like to be surprised, the plot has not been established, I have low expectation of making it that far, I have high expectations of making it much farther

a) Extreme; their post affects the roleplay as a whole and therefore their actions should be made known in advance
b) Strong; co-writing or consulting others on a post is crucial in many instances
c) Moderate; input from others should usually only come in when my post directly affects other character(s), input should only affect the overall roleplay rather than the specific post
d) Little; input from others should only come by request, input should be restricted to the overall roleplay
e) None; I do not allow others to have input on my post, I already know the plot and can therefore be trusted, I created the roleplay/read the roleplay request and know what to expect

a) Lack of interest
b) Lack of time
c) Dislike of characters
d) Dislike of partners
e) Dislike of plot (e.g., changes made over time, lengthy focus on a disliked plot point)

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

4. Have you, in a group setting, left a roleplay immediately after someone else left?
a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

6. Have you, in a group setting, left a roleplay because of too many participants?
c) Yes, because I ultimately wanted to privately roleplay (or group roleplay with only selected partners)
d) No

a) Yes
b) No

Cool Have you left a roleplay because of the post length?
c) No

9) Have you intentionally delayed posting/altered your posting capabilities to force your partner to leave or finish the roleplay early?
a) Yes
b) No

10) Have you, in leaving the roleplay, informed your partner(s) of your decision?
d) No, I stopped posting
e) No, I stopped posting after dropping many hints/constantly referring to some persistent obstacle (e.g., school, work, general schedule, health, writer’s block, other roleplays)
J) This hasn't happened to me
... Okay, I cheated with sub-choices on this one. Razz

11) Have you, in leaving a roleplay, been met with surprise, anger, hurt feelings or a request to continue?
e) No

a) No, because the issue remained (e.g., the partner was still involved, the posts were still disliked, the posting still took too long)

13) Have you, upon leaving a roleplay, taken offence to old partner using the old plot?
f) No, but I wouldn’t want my significant contributions or original characters to be used

14) Have you, in leaving a roleplay, ended it the same way someone else ended one on you before?

e) No

a) Yes
c) No

Typically, I roleplay with the first person who replies. That's largely the reason for my string of failures: I never screened anyone. TOKoR, my current roleplay, is the first time I ever waited for a series of interested responses instead of getting excited about the earliest and jumping at it, as well as specifically asking for their first post, so I immediately got to see what they offered in terms of character (fairly important, I usually work with whatever comes my way) and writing style (absolutely critical, because that's my sole reason for ever leaving and is usually why I don't answer informal interest checks/interest checks without a sample). Actually, the original interest check is still up on RolePlayGateway. I came to FOG 'cause... damn. People at RPG... Except for that one person I reluctantly turned down because I'd already started it here.

I completely forgot about that trick. I stumbled across it the first time when I was - like... 13 and still on Neopets. The longest RP I've had since that time was directly because I asked my partner to send me a post in advance. The problem was I was a selfish, lazy writer so I pulled off that 'never intended to stop posting, but I did' thing. :/

N/A

Not screening for writing style. I've only left because I didn't like someone's posts (length is important, but less so) and not finding out how a person writes before they begin is the reason I can say I've been in a lot of (too many) roleplays, finished none, and have only been abandoned/had my partner leave twice.
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:01 pm

***Note: I voted "No" because the role play I completed was not in the last three years.

b) Monthly / Frequently
c) Bi-monthly
d) Yearly / Infrequently
e) Only if there is guaranteed interest (e.g., an interest check has been answered) (and this happens somewhere between bimonthly and yearly)
f) Only by request

g) When it is requested

c) Completing it
e) Entertainment

a) Five or more
b) Three or Four (I choose both because I tend to have between three to six)

c) Two
d) One

d) Not usually; I roleplay within the same group of people, I prefer to roleplay with people I know or trust (My choice changes depending on the type of role play. I prefer playing advanced things with people I know, vs. casual/one on ones I like to meet new people. )

b) Quite
c) Somewhat
d) Not very

b) Frequently
d) Not very

b) Frequently
d) Not very

a) Extremely; original characters are not allowed, specific requirements must to be met, changes are readily requested

***Note: This section was difficult for me. I often find myself not leaving role plays, but rather being stranded as other players lose interest/disappear. It could be that I am not noticing my own withdrawal. I am not sure.

a) Lack of interest
b) Lack of time
c) Dislike of characters
d) Dislike of partners
f) Dislike of posts (e.g., writing style, length, filler)(Other players lose interest and do not post.)

a) Yes Once. My aunt died and I couldn't keep GMing it. No one kept it alive.
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes No one else was posting.
b) No

d) No

a) Yes
b) No

Have you left a roleplay because of the post length?
c) No

a) Yes
b) No

d) No, I stopped posting
i) No, I never consciously intended to stop roleplaying/it just happened (I think this happens a lot of the time)

e) No

e) No

a) Yes
c) No (not that I am aware)

Obviously there is a trend or I would have finished another role play by now; however, finishing a role play isn't something I am anxious to do. I would rather have a longstanding role play over a shorter finished one. No, I have not tried to change the pattern of not finishing a role play, though I have tried to change the pattern of dying role plays.

Both players wanted to see the story finished. The role play itself is continuing but we finished a significant portion that can stand as its own story.

The role play dies; other players lose interest, I cannot continue without them.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:21 pm

You made a good point about Part D, Ryona. Something else FOG should look at is dealing with others leaving, especially for groups. I think you might have given me a reason for not including that, however; sometimes partners leaving isn't directly controllable, so the purpose of this is to have more insight into people managing what they can control (or for those focused on the poll, just letting everyone know it can be done). There may have to be a sequel.
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:44 pm

I think it may be a chain effect; one person leaves, another loses hope and stops posting, the third doesn't know what's going on, and the GM doesn't bother rousing everyone back up. Unfortunately, as a GM, I know how frustratingly annoying it is to have to beg others to post every darn round...

I think a sequel to this poll would be most interesting.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:04 pm

1. Pick the response that best describes you.

2. What best describes your preferences for creating/starting a roleplay?

b) Monthly / Frequently
c) Bi-monthly
d) Yearly / Infrequently
f) Only by request

g) When it is requested

c) Completing it
e) Entertainment

a) Five or more
b) Three or Four
c) Two
d) One

b) Quite
c) Somewhat
d) Not very

b) Frequently
d) Not very

b) Frequently
d) Not very

a) Lack of interest
b) Lack of time
c) Dislike of characters
d) Dislike of partners

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

d) No

7. Have you left a roleplay because of too many characters?
a) Yes
b) No

8. Have you left a roleplay because of the post length?
c) No

9. Have you intentionally delayed posting/altered your posting capabilities to force your partner to leave or finish the roleplay early?
a) Yes
b) No

10. Have you, in leaving the roleplay, informed your partner(s) of your decision?
d) No, I stopped posting

11. Have you, in leaving a roleplay, been met with surprise, anger, hurt feelings or a request to continue?
e) No

12. Have you, in leaving a roleplay, ever revived/rejoined it?

13. Have you, upon leaving a roleplay, taken offence to old partner using the old plot?

14. Have you, in leaving a roleplay, ended it the same way someone else ended one on you before?

15. Have you ever left a roleplay to punish someone?
e) No

16. Has someone ever complained about/accused you of abandoning a roleplay?
a) Yes
c) No

17. Has someone’s reputation (suspected, slanderous or otherwise) for abandoning roleplays deterred you from writing with them?

I have never really noticed a trend.

There were four very active players and I personally helped create the world.

A partner disappearing.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade Barrier Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:28 pm

Tartra wrote:Thanks so much for your input, Blade! There's a lot of experienced roleplayers on FOG who can definitely help out by sharing their success stories. :D I'm thinking I should have made a section about tips for those who've made it to the end.

It's a good survey, I felt compelled to take it.

Maybe we can share our success stories in another thread. Already this thread is starting to fill up with walls of text.

Tartra wrote:One tiny thing, though: by ending a roleplay, I meant leaving it for whatever reason. I guess I'll have to reword that part.

Ahh, my mistake, but I'd recommend changing "ending" to "leaving" if I were you. I'll edit my survey at a later time to reflect the proper answers.

Blade Barrier
Blade Barrier
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:33 am

Shooting for 20 poll responses and 10 surveys, so don't be shy.
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:04 am

c) Bi-monthly

e) Entertainment

c) Two

b) Frequently

b) Frequently

a) Yes

a) Yes

b) No

b) No

d) No

b) No

Cool Have you left a roleplay because of the post length?

b) No

e) No

c) No

Part F: Your Thoughts

Not really. Unimaginative writing, I guess? I've been trying to keep things loose and casual and give my partners as much control in the direction of the plot as possible.

n/a

Staying interested in the plot and characters. I do not like writing based on a script and I do not like writing with partners who only react. Both severely cut into my motivation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:09 am

I see 14 poll responses and, thanks to Ten, we're up to six completed surveys. Still looking for six more of the first and four more of the second!
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:44 pm

I tried to respond Tartra, I got to D before I decided to scrap it, but I didn't feel I was the audience that you were looking for with your questionnaire. I am not nearly as Roleplay savvy as that. I write, and I will participate in co-operative writing sometimes, but I think I am outside the realm of the norm in RPs.
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:54 pm

I'm glad you took that into consideration, Solrokr, but it technically should be open enough for anyone who's been involved in any roleplay. Especially if you're outside the norm, I'd like everyone's opinion. The broader range we get, the more angles we have to look at, and the more thorough the end result will be.

Try to go about it as more of a 'what would be your ideal' if you're not sure what your actual, usual response has been in the past. If you still don't feel comfortable, thank you for trying anyway. I'll still come bother you to help with the second part of this. Smile
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sólrökr Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:05 pm

I'll gladly help with portion two, but I just don't have the experience in said type of RPs to answer the questionnaire.
Sólrökr
Sólrökr
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:09 pm

No problem.

Part two - just so you know what to expect a little more - is going to be in halves: focused on what people look for before they start a roleplay, and focused on what people do when they're in it. This is more the 'Give me all the answers briefly and then we'll go from there'.
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:00 am

b) I exclusively create group roleplays (more than two people).

b) I exclusively join group roleplays.

b) Monthly / Frequently
c) Bi-monthly
d) Yearly / Infrequently
f) Only by request

g) When it is requested

c) Not very thoroughly; often the plot isn’t established, the plot is simple, or I am not willing to provide many details (The main idea and "goal" is revealed to my members but plot twists and the like are kept as surprises.)

b) Fairly thoroughly; I have some expectations that can be met by several people (Most FOG'ers)

c) Completing it
e) Entertainment

(In reverse order)

a) Five or more
b) Three or Four
c) Two
d) One

b) Quite
c) Somewhat
d) Not very

b) Frequently
d) Not very

b) Frequently
d) Not very

a) Lack of interest
b) Lack of time
c) Dislike of characters
d) Dislike of partners

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

a) Yes
b) No

d) No

a) Yes
b) No

Have you left a roleplay because of the post length?
a) Yes; they were too short (and of poor quality)
c) No

a) Yes
b) No

d) No, I stopped posting

e) No

e) No

a) Yes
c) No

The one trend I've noticed that most irks me is terrible grammar and post length. To change this, I've changed my RPing environment. I've checked out a number of sites and tested them and found FOG to be to my liking.

The main reason for my commitment was I was having fun. Secondary reasons include I was RPing with familiar RP partners and the plot was amazing.

My most common stumbling block is real life. I underestimate my real life and neglect to take into account my free time. I join too many roleplays because I typically join whatever sounds good, not what I have time for. Additionally, disappearing members will kill an RP as well, but I've found that getting to know people on a personal level keeps this from happening.
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tartra Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:57 pm

I didn't get a chance to thank you for joining in, Artorius! Only need three more now, fortunately. Smile
Tartra
Tartra
Apparition
Apparition

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down