FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Reading?

+81
AlyssAsylum
Moon Ray
cheeseface
Icipher
CaitlynnTrevor
Lord Revan
JayMorris2011
AkatsukiHime
Count
Raspeyer
Ana Kingsley
Christoph
Notebookface
Sgt. Tacoz
MidsummerMermaid
Artorius
BehindTheMask
Undisputed
Digital Muse
Nation
BenetLee
UnfortunateBountyHunter
Skitzo-phrenick
IWroteASongForYou
Fate Flyer
Heyseuss
Dax
Lonewalker
Kingmaker
Ununhexium
MSurber90
SpaceWheeler2.0
xraineyesx
Lyonesse
Spear-Face
Lucian 'The Wolf' Harth
Shadow Moonseye
Bird of Hermes
Cypher
Kalaam
Blackrock
Cosmic Wavelength
Ragter the junior greeter
Mydnyte Syn
BarnyardLovin
6billionghosts
Bugg Superstar
Bad Kitty
Gnossienne
Shekinah
ravenroses
NotAliceInHerWonderland
MoiraofWords
Sunwolf007
The Melancholy Spirit
Lets Dance On Fire
Stion Gyas
Barbarossa
Kalon Ordona II
Mack
Lord Saladin
Gadreille
RedBaku
Deadpan
m00se4brainz
Igraine
Rusty Wings
Hello Danger
LunarScorpio
Dio the Awesome
Loki
Twoface_ecafowT
Squall Reyes
ImmortalSin
ShadowPhoenix0307
Eternity
Aesalon
Gilbert
Lara
Kaito
Kathryn Lacey
85 posters

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

What Are You Reading? - Page 5 Empty Re: What Are You Reading?

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:12 pm

Fool Moon by Jim Butcher is so good! I read it recently. I liked it much better than the first in the Dresden Files, Storm Front. It works really well as a series ((as far as I can tell by the first two books)) because it reveals a little more with each book while hinting at things to come. I'm going to read the third book when I finish The Great Book of Amber.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:32 pm

One of the RPs I'm involved with has gotten me into the Dresden Files book series and it has be hook, line, and sinker. I just finished the sixth book in the series in a two day binge and am already itching to start the seventh. Fortunately, my parents got me damn near the entire series for Christmas and it is just a matter of finding time.

Absolutely love it and recommend it to anybody who even has the slightest interest in wizardry or detective novels.
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:57 pm

I almost purchased the first book to the series, but the store didn't have it. And there was an Avatar book right next to it so...I got that instead Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalaam Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:32 pm

I have read every single book that he has written, including the Aleran series. If you like that style of book, check out the Darkside series with John Taylor, which is also interesting and somewhat in the same vein.

Kalaam
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:35 pm

I just started reading the Redwall series. A daunting task, to be sure. ^^
I'm reading them in published order, starting with Redwall.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:03 pm

Silv and I read Redwall to my tummy when I was pregnant with Taeo. I never did finish it, but it was good! Good luck finishing the series...I don't think I own them all yet but I own most of them.

I am currently reading Avatar, and thinking about making my own avatar role play since the creator of the other one never messaged me back.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:59 am

Avatar as in a book version of the new movie that was made or something else entirely?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by MoiraofWords Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:39 pm

I want to read more Darkside, but my library doesn't have enough of it. And without a job, I'm not willing to spend money all willy-nilly so often.
MoiraofWords
MoiraofWords
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:40 am

Kathryn Lacey wrote:Avatar as in a book version of the new movie that was made or something else entirely?

It is a small book based off of the movie, kind of like a survival guide thing. Has lots of information about the RDA, the Na'vi, and Pandora itself.

I'm currently reading The Infernal City, by Greg Keyes. It is an Elder Scrolls novel that takes place about four decades after The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It is not at all what I expected, and I'm not quite sure if it is good yet or not, but I'm not ready to put it down. So that must be a good sign Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:07 am

I'm currently reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón.

Though I'm not even halfway, I think it's one of the most inspiring books I've read in a long time. Because it's been object of an almost hysterical hype (one that, by the way, thankfully wasn't noticed by me) and some of the people I know who also read it, state that because of that hype, this book has been bombed to the highest ranks in literature, stating that it doesn't get any better than this. Because of that, some people started to dislike the book and some of them also the author along with the book, as it takes off the attention of the true classics in literature, classics that have been/are ignored by the ones who bombed The Shadow of the Wind to the highest of all places in the world of books.

While thay may or may not be true, I have to admit that there's absolute a great power that Zafón posseses: the power to indeed write (semi) literature like/poetic and to combine that writing style with a somewhat general thriller/supernatural element, something we usually do not associate with great literature/poetic writings. Zafón has been able to make the barrier between literature and 'simple' books a bit smaller and for that, I think he deserves credit, for he has shown us that one can write in a beautiful, poetic and (semi) literate way, without being melodramatic or covering such a heavy subject that readers lose themselves in the depth of the book and quit reading it.
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Blackrock Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:07 am

I recently acquired the first book of the Song of Ice and Fire series, A Game of Thrones and have begun reading it today. I heard and read a lot of good things about the book and the series as a whole, let's hope it measures up to all the praise. I haven't read any of Martin's other works, although I think I have on or two at home, but it will be interesting to explore his points of view.
Blackrock
Blackrock
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cypher Sun Feb 21, 2010 4:09 pm

A Darkling Plain by Philip Reeve. Yes, it's a Y/A novel, but Oden was it such a good read. I can't get enough of it- the characters were so convincing and the writing flowed so well I could barely afford to put it or its predecessors down.
Cypher
Cypher
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:55 pm

Right now I am reading my school textbook for sociology. It's not all that interesting.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Aww. Really? When I was in high school, I loved reading the material in the sociology and psychology text books. I found it all to be fascinating. ^^_^^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:15 pm

Some book about serial killers by a Flemish author (too lazy to check his name and the title of the book)
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:04 am

I’m currently reading Kushiel’s Avatar, the third book in the Kushiel’s Legacy series. I’m completely hooked on these books…I’m still about 200 pages away from finishing Kushiel’s Avatar, but I already have Kushiel’s Scion waiting on my shelf. xD I feel kind of bad, since this is the second time I’ve abandoned A Storm of Swords by George R. R. Martin, but I just can’t pull away from this series! Jacqueline Carey is simply everything I’ve ever aspired to be as a writer. >w< I can safely say that she’s the one reason I’ve been feeling so inspired recently.

Definitely a recommended read for anyone who’s in need of a good fantasy book or series!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:18 am

I've heard a lot of good things about that series. I really want to read it, but I never remember to look for it in the library.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:59 am

I am currently reading A Border Passage by Leila Ahmed, the story of an Egyptian woman's journey across cultures as she searches to define herself. She is an eloquent writer, and just within the first chapter I have learned a great deal, as well as have been brought to tears. I wonder why I haven't read non-fiction for fun before...
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:11 am

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Hopefully this time around, I'll be able to finish it. Razz
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow Moonseye Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:56 pm

Lets see...I'm currently reading three books. (Yeah, I'm terrible about reading multiple books at once. Luckly for me though, I can keep them all straight.)

The first one is The Gripping Hand by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. Its the sequal to their previous book, The Mote in God's Eye. These two books are some of the best "first-contact" sci-fi that I have ever read. I'm rather fond of them both.

The second book that I'm reading is The Living Dead, which is an anthology of zombie stories. So far I've read some really interesting and unique ones; plus, it's zombies. What's not to love about that? Very Happy

And last, but not least, I'm reading The Complete Hammer's Slammers Volume 2 by David Drake. I'm not very far into this one, but my dad raves about the Hammer's Slammers and generally we share the same tastes book-wise.
Shadow Moonseye
Shadow Moonseye
Apparition
Apparition

Female

http://shadow-moonseye.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:53 pm

I just finished reading The Haunted Lands trilogy, three books about a necromancers war in The Forgotten Realms world. Very great series!

I am about to start reading the newest Star Wars book; Fate of the Jedi: Backlash. This series, so far, has its ups and downs, but the last book brought back two of my favorite characters (both now dead....) in a sense. Gave us a fresh point of view, at least Very Happy I just hope these new revelations are continued with...

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:54 pm

I heard the Star Wars books are basically published fan-fiction.

I'm currently reading Wicked: the Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire. I'm only about twenty pages into it, but I like it so far.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Kathryn Lacey wrote:I heard the Star Wars books are basically published fan-fiction.

Yes, in a sense they are just published fan-fiction. There is a difference though. It is organized; all of the authors work together to put out quality works that fit in with previously established facts and plots. And they are all authors that have previous works...so they aren't new to the field of writing. Yes, some books suck. And some books are really great. It is exceptionally annoying that they've killed off my three favorite characters....

But I enjoy reading them. I can't say they've butchered the story. It is a matter of opinion. I am more relaxed about it, while some people refuse to read anything beyond the novelizations of the movie itself (if that).

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:56 pm

I'll probably never read them. I don't like to leave series unfinished, and I just don't have time to read all of those books, especially if there's a chance I may not like half of them.

I like Wicked so far, but I'm prepared for any possible suckage.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:49 pm

Darwin's Ghost, by Steve Jones
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:53 am

Dragonsdawn, by Anne McCaffrey
Dragon Prince, by Melanie Rawn
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Mistborn: The Final Empire, by Brandon Sanderson

I just picked it up (after neglecting it for over a year), so I'm not really sure what it is about or the quality. It is long, and I'm hoping it will be worth the read.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:32 pm

I finished Wicked yesterday afternoon on my flight.

It wasn't obsession-worthy, but it is a decent book if you can overlook mental lapses in the way things are supposed to be and strange character development that doesn't really seem to make sense...

The political environment was really good.

Now, I'm reading The Story of O by Réage, translated by Sabine D'Estree. I haven't gotten past the prefaces, but I will.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:42 pm

I just finished Dragonsdawn, by Anne McCaffrey. I am beyond words. Sob Clap Crying or Very sad Muhaha Cool Dance cheers

It's that kind of... "geeeeeEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" feeling when everything ends on such a beautiful--perfect--crescendo. Whoa Excited Headbang Ax Man Aww
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:32 pm

The Secret History by Donna Tartt
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next