FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Are You Reading?

+81
AlyssAsylum
Moon Ray
cheeseface
Icipher
CaitlynnTrevor
Lord Revan
JayMorris2011
AkatsukiHime
Count
Raspeyer
Ana Kingsley
Christoph
Notebookface
Sgt. Tacoz
MidsummerMermaid
Artorius
BehindTheMask
Undisputed
Digital Muse
Nation
BenetLee
UnfortunateBountyHunter
Skitzo-phrenick
IWroteASongForYou
Fate Flyer
Heyseuss
Dax
Lonewalker
Kingmaker
Ununhexium
MSurber90
SpaceWheeler2.0
xraineyesx
Lyonesse
Spear-Face
Lucian 'The Wolf' Harth
Shadow Moonseye
Bird of Hermes
Cypher
Kalaam
Blackrock
Cosmic Wavelength
Ragter the junior greeter
Mydnyte Syn
BarnyardLovin
6billionghosts
Bugg Superstar
Bad Kitty
Gnossienne
Shekinah
ravenroses
NotAliceInHerWonderland
MoiraofWords
Sunwolf007
The Melancholy Spirit
Lets Dance On Fire
Stion Gyas
Barbarossa
Kalon Ordona II
Mack
Lord Saladin
Gadreille
RedBaku
Deadpan
m00se4brainz
Igraine
Rusty Wings
Hello Danger
LunarScorpio
Dio the Awesome
Loki
Twoface_ecafowT
Squall Reyes
ImmortalSin
ShadowPhoenix0307
Eternity
Aesalon
Gilbert
Lara
Kaito
Kathryn Lacey
85 posters

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down

What Are You Reading? - Page 3 Empty Re: What Are You Reading?

Post by Guest Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:20 pm

I finished my Star Wars book. I have to say it was my favorite since The New Jedi Order: Star by Star. Too much good stuff...

I don't know what to read now. I should read something I haven't read before...but I really want to continue re-reading Star Wars (waste of time, I know Ryona).

Maybe I will pick up where I left off on Wheel of Time?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Saladin Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:29 pm

Definitely read the rest of WoT so far. I have to say that's my favourite series of all time.

At the moment, however, I am reading Dante Alighieri's 'The Divine Comedy,' a classic that outlines the afterlife: Inferno (Hell), Purgatory and Paradise (Heaven). An awesome, if somewhat difficult - in some places, at least - read.

Other than that, if you're looking for suggestions, also give David Eddings' 'The Elenium' trilogy a try, followed by 'The Tamuli,' its sequel.

Lord Saladin
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mack Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:40 pm

I'm reading Sword of the Rightful King I like that time period, and it is beautifully written. After that? Most likely Tex by S. E. Hinton. I enjoy every book I read that she has written, especially The Outsiders.
Mack
Mack
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:22 am

I finished reading Dismantled by Jennifer McMahon. It was really good. It was pretty unpredictable to me though I tried to predict all that would happen. It was really interested. I'd recommend it to others.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:33 pm

I just finished Morningtide, the sequel to Lorwyn. It's a Magic: The Gathering book, but those two are the only books in that series I've read so far.

I'm also still reading The Elements of Style by E.B. White and William Strunk Jr.

Oh right! And I'm AAAALMOST done with Soul of the Fire by Terry Goodkind!
Hurraaaaay for Richard!! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:11 pm

You are only on Soul of the Fire??? You've got some reading to do! Faith of the Fallen is the best one! Smile

Still reading The Edge of the World. Taking it slow because frankly, I don't get a lot of sit down and read time anymore...^_^ I will be reading various anthropology textbooks in a few weeks :[
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:57 pm

I hate reading more than one book at a time. I only ever had to do that during high school, and I didn't like doing it. I prefer to immerse myself wholly in one work, so I can really give all of my thought to it without worrying about another book.

I'm currently reading The Thief of Always by Clive Barker. The beginning makes me think of the style that novels for kids are written, but this book was in the adult fiction section, so we'll see.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:35 am

Ah yes...unfortunately, full time on the quarter system doesn't give me much choice but divide and conquer...er...pass...
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbarossa Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:22 pm

I've almost finished Azincourt, by Bernard Cornwell, and let me say:

Oh, my god. I love this book. I very rarely find a book in which I can feel; I mean, I read a lot, and I have read a lot of good books, but with this I actually feel like I am there...

I know this is probably common for most readers, but this is the first time it has happened for me and it's amazing...

I think the last book I read which was really good was Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk, but that didn't make me feel in the same way. Reading the end, when the battle takes place (That's not a spoiler, the books called Azincourt so it's gonna' happen at some point.) it has got me just exhilarated. There is so much going on but I totally... eurgh it's so good...

Anyway, I just love it and would greatly recommend it to anyone interested in the time period or anyone interested in bloody good books.
Barbarossa
Barbarossa
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:33 pm

I just started reading The Circle trilogy, by Ted Dekker. It's pretty awesome so far! xD
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stion Gyas Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:11 pm

I'm about a third of the way through A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. So far, it's just as good as the first in the series. Very Happy

Also, 100TH post!
Stion Gyas
Stion Gyas
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:59 pm

I finished The Thief of Always by Clive Barker yesterday. It was interesting. It moved really quickly, and it wasn't as gory as one would suspect Barker would make it ((seeing as how he did the Hellraiser movies)). It was more or less written in the tone of the ten year old protagonist.

Anyway, now I'm reading The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux. He's the guy that first wrote about the Phantom of the Place de l'Opera in France where the legend of a ghostly figure who would cause mishaps and such originated.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lets Dance On Fire Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:39 pm

I am currently [listening] to "Daughter of the Sun" by Lonnie Ezell.
'Tis a fabulous tale of magic, the bond of mother-daughter, over-arching conspiracies and counter-conspiracies and revolution in the good old vague medieval fantasy setting.

It’s a free podcast novel and I highly recommend it to any audio-book lovers (check out podiobooks.com too, they do hundreds of free audio-books by both published and un-published authors).

After that I plan to read both "The Poisonwood Bible" and "Shooting History" (The latter by Jon Snow, a British Newsman / Historian.) That and I’m currently half-way into Stephen King's "On Writing" auto-biography / advice guide to fledgling writers.

Reading is one of the few things I am capable of multi-tasking being the simple man I am.

Lets Dance On Fire
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:47 am

Currently reading:

Trek to Kraggen-Cor, book on of The Silver Call by Dennis L. McKiernan.

The Whisperer in Darkness by H.P. Lovecraft

Dragon Age: The Stolen Throne by David Gaider
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RedBaku Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:22 am

Finally got my hands on Miyamoto Musashi's The Book of Five Rings.
RedBaku
RedBaku
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:36 am

I am currently in the process of finishing Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen. It's a really good critical look at the educational system for history in the United States. And I do me critical. Very Happy Anyway I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a good Sci Fi novel. I am in the mood for one of those after reading Lies. Just don't know what one.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:49 pm

Well, a good science fiction novel in my mind would be Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card if you haven't already read it. It's made of awesome.

I'm currently reading Guernica by Dave Boling. It's basically fictional characters ((and a couple non-fictional ones)) in a real setting surrounding the events of the bombing of Guernica in 1935. I don't really know how to explain it, so I'll just type what's on the back of the book:

"In 1935, finding himself on the wrong side of the Spanish Nationalist, Miguel Navarro flees to Guernica, the most ancient town in the Basque region. In this idyllic, isolated bastion of democratic values, Miguel finds more than a new life- he finds someone to live for. Miren Ansotegui is a charismatic dancer from the town's most prominent family, and the two discover a powerful love.

"But their affair is doomed to be painfully tested. On the eve of World War II, the German Luftwaffe bombs Guernica. It is a devastating experiment in total warfare and, for the Basques, and attack on the soul of their ancient nation. Seamlessly merging history and fiction, Guernica speaks to the resilience of family, love, and tradition in extraordinary circumstances."

It's really good so far. I'm not quite to the part where their city is bombed, but I am to the part where the plans have been made and set into motion. It's quite interesting. I definitely recommend it.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:42 pm

I know the events that the book is set in. If I remember correctly the Nazis were trying to support a civil war in Spain because they wanted their fascist government style to spread to Spain. It sounds like an awesome setting for a story. Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't read that one yet so I might pick it up (if I don't forget the title the next time I am in the bookstore).

Forgot to mention that I am also currently rereading Viking: Sworn Brother by Tim Severin. Awesome historical fiction. The book series starts about the time they were attempting to settle on Vinland and is told from the perspective of a kid growing up and living in the world around 1000 AD. If you like historical fiction you will like this book. It's got Vikings what else do you need!? Ax Man
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:50 am

"Demagogue: The Fight to Save Democracy From Its Worst Enemies," by Michael Signer.

dem⋅a⋅gogue  [dem-uh-gog, -gawg] noun, verb, -gogued, -gogu⋅ing.

–noun
1. a person, esp. an orator or political leader, who gains power and popularity by arousing the emotions, passions, and prejudices of the people.
2. (in ancient times) a leader of the people.
–verb (used with object)
3. to treat or manipulate (a political issue) in the manner of a demagogue; obscure or distort with emotionalism, prejudice, etc.
–verb (used without object)
4. to speak or act like a demagogue.

Basically, a demagogue is someone that uses emotional manipulation of the masses for political power; often appealing to anger and/or prejudice and getting people to stop thinking rationally and start yelling. Often, the most successful demagogues take power and do not relinquish it, after stirring up the masses to get them there -- a popularly acclaimed dictator.

Hitler is probably the most famous modern example, but there are plenty of others. In fiction, Chancellor Palpatine, who becomes the Emperor by whipping people up first against the Trade Federation and then against the Jedi, is certainly a demagogue. But the story itself is very human and repeats itself -- human nature hasn't changed, and the ways to manipulate it are well documented, if that documentation tends to get ignored in the heat of the moment. See, we are creatures with emotions, and often let those emotions guide the thinking. It can be bad, especially when someone is hijacking your emotional reaction to something for a political purpose.

At any rate, half this book is a history of demagoguery. Since a lot of it is used in modern politics, particularly on the unwary, it's always a good thing to be aware of this species of politician -- they flourish in democracies, but they also destroy them. The other half is the author's foreign policy agenda -- when I get there, I suppose we'll see what I think. It's a short book, so I'm leery of how much detail there will be.

Useful book, but I haven't even cracked it open yet. Honestly, I know most of the history that this book is going to talk about and how it all works, but I figured I'd mention it all anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by MoiraofWords Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:34 pm

I just finished the novel the Soprano Sorceress. It was quite adequate and fun, a good take on a person transported to a distant land. A little repetitive, but that also made it more human.
MoiraofWords
MoiraofWords
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:08 pm

I'm about halfway done with Death by Theory - Adrian Praetzellis
A textbook for my Theory of Anthropology class, and a damn good one at that!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:56 am

I just finished reading Tithe by Holly Black and I can honestly say that it is one of the best books I've ever read, if not the best. I started reading it in the early afternoon and couldn't put it down until late that night after I'd finished it. Not many books, if any, could make me do that.

It commanded your attention from start to finish and the characters were pretty raw but believable. If I had to give it a genre, it'd be a dark, modern, romantic fantasy. There is so much thought put into this one and it really does show. I loved how blunt and rough it was. She never sugarcoated anything.

Apparently there's two other books to it, or so I learned today so I'm now pretty damn excited about getting my hands on them!
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:51 pm

About to start "The Origins of Totalitarianism" by Hannah Arendt.

Yes, for self-enlightenment, not assigned. Well, I was assigned bits of it in a course once, and it was good enough to throw it on my shelf for the future. The future is now.

I'm a big fan of Hannah Arendt anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:07 pm

I'm currently reading- and almost finished with- Till We Have Faces by C.S. Lewis. This is the first book of his that I have ever read, and I will admit that I like it a lot. It's a retelling of the Greek myth concerning Eros and Psyche. It's written from the perspective of Psyche's eldest sister, so a good portion of the book doesn't have much to do with Psyche once the part happens where Eros leaves her after she looks at him.

It's really good, and it makes you think about human nature quite a bit.

Lewis actually considered this to be one of his best works, but I learned that most people have never even heard of it. It's definitely something people should read.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by NotAliceInHerWonderland Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:55 pm

I'm currently reading Beneath a Darkening Moon, and I've just read Beneath a Rising Moon. Books by Keri Arthur - Her books are amazing!
NotAliceInHerWonderland
NotAliceInHerWonderland
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:18 pm

I finished Till We Have Faces today, and it had a lot more to do with Psyche than I initially realized. It was amazing, and it definitely required thought, and it had the ability to make me think about myself.

Now, I'm reading the far less profound Uglies by Scott Westerfeld.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ravenroses Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:10 pm

I finally finished my other book after two months of no free time to read it. Today, I began reading Kiss Me Again, Stranger by Daphne du Maurier.
ravenroses
ravenroses
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:11 am

I am currently reading Qualitative methods and technics in criminology, but that's for my study Razz

For joy I'm reading Real World by Natsuo Kirino, but I'm not really enjoying it. The dialoques are kinda weird and off and her writing style seems somewhat childish, I don't know how to put it. I first noticed this writer when I read her Out, and that was a brilliant book if you ask me. But ever since all she's doing is disappointing me, or so it seems Sad Too bad.

After that I'll start reading Dostojovski's Crime and Punishment or Kafka's The Trial. But it may change tomorrow Razz I have so many books in my bookshelf I still have to read...
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:55 am

Well, I haven't started reading it yet but I bought the second book in a series by Robin Wasserman called Crashed today. I've been waiting all year for it to be released, so as soon as this term is officially over I'll get straight into it.
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:31 pm

Currently reading The Light Fantastic by Terry Pratchett.
Yay for Discworld! xD
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 13 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next