FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Blood of the gods, Our Blessing, Our Curse IC (RES/Ruu)

2 posters

Go down

The Blood of the gods, Our Blessing, Our Curse IC (RES/Ruu) Empty The Blood of the gods, Our Blessing, Our Curse IC (RES/Ruu)

Post by Ruu Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:35 pm

As the sun began to rise over the horizon, spreading it rays like golden wings of light, the illumination touched the Imperial Palace to bathe it in indescribable beauty. Tall towers of pure crystal rose to the heavens, reflecting the glorious beams in all directions and shining as beacons of hope. They were of Ilyena's design and her wishes had been fulfilled. The crystal was of a special property, in that it repelled the heat of the sun, leaving the towers comfortable and liveable, without the fear of being fried into a crisp, as mirrors would have done. The towers, however, provided a stark contrast to the base of the imposing structure. Formed from the deepest obsidian and darkest stones, studded with blood red rubies, and scripted with the imperial insignia, the black sun, it was dark and oppressive. Even the brilliance of the towers could not dispel the nearly palpable gloom that hung heavy in the corridors, bedrooms, and courtyards. Inside of this building of amazing contrasts dwelled those whose lives were just as conflicted and bewildering as the abode that they called their own. The Druids of the god of the Darkness mostly droned their solemn chants or contemplated in shadowy corridors. Yet the three Priestesses of the goddess Alara also inhabited one of the sun-kissed towers, though they had hidden themselves so secretly that even Morpheus himself could not find them. There were servants who worshiped the very ground upon which the Druids tread with their holy robes, while others murmured about the times when light had been allowed inside of the castle and had flooded the obsidian in rainbow colors. Ever since the Queen's death, the light had been banished to the Towers above and the Towers themselves had been sealed. But...one person alone had found a chink in the spells and dark weavings that barred entrance to the once frequented towers.

A young boy with hair the color of spun gold and eyes brimming with the crystal blue of the azure sky glanced furtively around. The boy's name was Cadyn, younger son by minutes to Mihael, his twin brother, and son and heir of the Emperor Azgard. He still did not fathom his father's choice to name him as heir, when clearly Mihael was suitable for the position in every way. He was energetic, showed initiative, was a strong leader, and excelled at the art of combat. Cadyn, on the other hand, was shy and quiet, preferring to daydream rather than wield a sword, seeking the solace of books rather than the arte of politics, and because he was frequently sick, his energy was quite low. This time in the morning, however, was his time of refreshment and revitalization, before even the servants were awake. This was his time to steal into the forbidden towers of light that rested above the obsidian gloominess of the lower abode. He had found a weakness in the spells that kept people from entering the towers quite by accident. One day, as a child, he and his brother had been playing hide-and-seek in the palace. Eager to find a hiding spot, Cadyn had discovered a part of the Imperial castle he had never experienced before. The hallways became lighter and lighter, as light as they could be in such deep darkness, and even a shimmering radiance could be seen in the distance. Hypnotized and entranced, Cadyn had run forward to find a staircase shimmering with a dazzling radiance, yet cloaked as though it were, with a veil of darkness. Cadyn wasn't sure if it was the spirit of his dear mother, that would never allow her towers to be closed off so, or if it had been the light awakening inside him for the first time. Even so, as he reached out as if to lift the veil, it shattered and revealed the staircase in a myriad of rainbow colors. Cadyn had run up the stairs with more energy than he had ever exhibited before, and found himself at the top of a tall, glass-like structure that had allowed him to see for miles. He had seen the towers above the Imperial castle before, of course, but never had he known there was a way to reach them. His father had always said that they were for decoration. It was also here that he felt warm and at peace, a peace that he could only feel when he was with his brother and when other people weren't trying to get his attention...It was here...that he had heard the voice of his mother once again...

Shaking his head of the memories, Cadyn was now once again approaching the staircase for his morning prayers. He alone thanked the goddess Alara for a new day every morning, even as the darkness in the halls attempted to stifle him. He was fairly certain no none knew of his secret retreat, but then again...Mihael seemed to know everything about him. He had never confronted Cadyn or followed him but...there was a first time for everything, and he wasn't sure how Mihael would feel if he knew he was breaking their father's wishes. The Emperor had never said they were forbidden, but...Cadyn wasn't sure how the Emperor would react if he found out. And so Cadyn had used his blossoming powers to create a very simple illusion, mimicking the shadow of spells that had once been there, though anyone trained in the art of magic would be able to see it was a fake. Walking through the illusion and up the stairs, Cadyn reached the top and knelt on the floor, clad in a simple white garment, bowing his heads, eyes closed, lips moving in silent prayer...
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

The Blood of the gods, Our Blessing, Our Curse IC (RES/Ruu) Empty Re: The Blood of the gods, Our Blessing, Our Curse IC (RES/Ruu)

Post by Rogue.Ember.Shadow Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:33 pm

It was late morning when Mihael decided to look through the large window at his right after so many lessons. For a brief moment, he missed his brother at his side. But during this time of day, he missed his mother like a pain of losing a limb.

Sunlight touched everything, making it brighter and warmer. The sunlight was all he had left to remember their mother by. Ever since that time during his childhood when he heard her compared to the sun, he always thought his mother was the sun itself. He would look up at the sky when there were no clouds and basked in the warm radiance. His skin would burn while turning light brown and he thought it was his mother leaving her love on his skin. Not to mention he got scolded so many times by his brother and father for falling asleep in the very grass too many times. During the winter, he would hide in the horse stalls and bury his body in the hay since once in their lifetime, the scratchy hay stalks had soaked up the sun too.

"Prince Mihael, please pay attention," said the deep voice of his mentor, High Druid Morpheus behind his chair. The rope clad figure leaned over the side slowly and the young man looked up into gleaming, amber eyes. A long time ago, he would have flinched from this man but not now when he was older.

"Sorry. You were saying?" he asked, hoping he would be pardoned from having to be lectured. Mihael had been sitting with the High Druid since daybreak and didn't have much to eat. It is common knowledge that growing boys eat like hogs, and his stomach had been cramping for a few hours now. He was royalty, so why was he starving? Ridiculous.

Sighing low, Morpheus bowed and gestured a long, thin arm to the doorway with two guards.

"You may leave, my prince. I shall call upon you another day for our discussion."

Jumping eagerly up from his chair, the eldest prince waved a hand distractedly at his mentor and just about bolted through the doorway in search of the kitchens. It was past the morning feast but he could still grab something to eat.

Unknowing to his eyes, the young prince missed the angry scowl Morpheus gave as soon as the young man was gone. Another day filled with failure. The boy was advancing in his skills controlling shadows adequately, but saw it more as a game than actually power. Both brats were underestimating the skills they were given, but he was determined to put them to use. He was thwarted once, he would not be again.
Rogue.Ember.Shadow
Rogue.Ember.Shadow
Shadow
Shadow

Female

http://daughter-of-chaos.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

The Blood of the gods, Our Blessing, Our Curse IC (RES/Ruu) Empty Re: The Blood of the gods, Our Blessing, Our Curse IC (RES/Ruu)

Post by Ruu Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:59 pm

"Cadyn!"

The Emperor's sharp voice cut into the thick haze that surrounded the young boy when he was engrossed in one of his favorite fairy tales. A swift motion pulled back the Politics book he was supposed to be studying to reveal a tale of enchantresses, unicorns, fairies, and elves. The Emperor, a tall man with deeply hooded eyes and an expression of cold rigidity that made even the most hardened criminal run, surveyed his son with weary impatience and even anger. The young heir to the throne looked up with a startled expression, like a child who had been caught in the cookie jar before dinner-time.

"I...Father...I-I was just..." he stammered, but his father cut him off with an upraised hand.

"How many times have I told you, Cadyn?" the Emperor thundered, "You must learn the ways of politics and swordsmanship if you are to become Emperor someday. This is not an easy job, nor is it straightforward. Politics are messy and twisted, and they must be handled with extreme care. You would not want to incite a war with another country because of your careless actions, would you? I didn't think so. Now, leave me in peace. Go to your brother and have him continue to instruct you in the art of swordsmanship. Perhaps he will knock some sense into that head of yours that always seems to be in the clouds."

Tears stung Cadyn's eyes, but he quickly brushed them away and bowed his head, "Yes Father..." he whispered, "I-I will do as you say. I...apologize for my conduct."

The Emperor felt his heart leap to his throat. Ilyena had often looked like that when she was sad or even frightened of him. Her spirit had been so gentle...She hadn't liked it when he was angry...Hesitating a moment, he gently patted his son's shoulder and managed a stiff smile.

"Do not be disheartened, my son. The arte of being an Emperor is long and perilous. You will find your way. Now, go and be of cheer. I would not want you to spoil your face with such a tearful expression."

Cadyn looked up with a sunny smile, grateful for any show of affection from the fearsome Emperor.

"A-alright, Father! I promise I'll do better! I promise!"

With this saying, Cadyn jaunted off leaving the Emperor shaking his head, partly in amusement, but partly in discontent...

At this time, Cadyn knew that MIhael was probably eating. His sessions with the Dark Druid were becoming longer and longer, and Cadyn knew that Mihael was famished after these. Hurrying into the elaborate dining room, Cadyn looked around.

"Hello?!" he called out into the room, seeming so hollow and empty when it was destined for three people but designed for hundreds.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue.Ember.Shadow Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:26 pm

Mihael had tore through hallways and stairways, making a beeline for the side of the palace where food was sure to available. Everyone who knew the elder prince either stepped aside when they heard fast, loud foot halls pounding through the air. When he saw the servants entry to the kitchen, Mihael rapidly skidded to a stop and ducked through the door and into the busy kitchen. Luncheon is being prepared right before his eyes and already his mouth was watering from the sheer look of fresh food.

"Prince Mihael! Your two plates are being set in the dining hall," said a plump servant cook by the name of Daina. Smirking at her, Mihael thanked everyone as he was just on his way to sit down when he heard a very familiar voice.

"Hello?"

His smirk grew into a grin of pure and utter mischief. Lifting a finger to his lips to keep others from giving away his location, Mihael snuck back out the way he came and leaned around the corner and then snuck along the wall after his brother. He moved swiftly and gathered shadows around his feet to muffle the sound they might give off. His baby brother was looking into he room, most likely for him since he scarfed food down at this hour after grueling lessons.

Lunging forward, Mihael grabbed onto his brothers shoulders and leaned against his ear to scream, "BOO!"

As his brother flailed in panic, he saw an opening in his brother's meager defense and took it. Whipping Cadyn's legs out from under him, he sat down on his brother's chest and very lightly pressed his clenched knuckles against his brother's throat.

"My point again, Cadyn," he murmured and then got up to help his brother up.

Shaking his head, he reached over to pat his brother's robes and hair back into place.

"I'm going to need to run you through some drill's again. What have I said about keeping your guard? Always keep it up, especially in familiar settings."

Mihael knew his brother's confidence or self esteem was not the best so he was firm, but not sounding too stern with him. Still, he couldn't help feeling frustrated that he was so weak. What if he died while protecting their land? If anything happened to him or father, Cadyn would inherit their place as Emperor. And sadly, so far the younger boy was proving to be very reluctant.

Which is why he tested his brother every single day, every hour they were together when they had a chance. He wanted his brother to be just as respected and looked up to as he was. To be even better since things like all his duties came so easy to him, and yet so hard for his brother.

What was that one proverb their favorie nannies used to tell them concerning their dual personalities?

"You know my boy's what I always say? A genius can master the rode a challenge gives, but it is the hard worker who paved it."

Mihael was determined to drag his brother along that road by his side. He knew their nanna was right that struggle was the only way his brother could survive and manage to get stronger.
Rogue.Ember.Shadow
Rogue.Ember.Shadow
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:33 pm

One step…two…why was the room eerily silent? Perhaps it was because of the sheer emptiness. Before his mother had died, Cadyn vaguely remembered parties where everyone had been invited to share the ample food issuing forth from the kitchen, even the poor. But now…it was dark, lonely, and silent, as if even the ghosts of the past had abandoned it. Ghosts…Cadyn shivered slightly; he was not a brave person, and the thought of the undead sent chills down his spine. It was in this completely unprepared state that two hands clenched his shoulder, and a startling “BOO!” filled his ears. He flinched in surprise and fright, reaching to place his hands over his head, trying to back away from the unknown assailant. Without warning, something struck his legs, causing them to give out on him and landing him on the floor. Weight struck his chest, and knuckles were pointed at his throat. The face staring at him looked so much like his own, only there was a distance, a maturing that had not come into Cadyn’s eyes, even at the age of eighteen.

“M-Mihael…” he stammered, “W-why…”

”My point again, Cadyn.”

As his brother helped him to his feet, Cadyn wobbled unsteadily, still shaken.

"I'm going to need to run you through some drill's again. What have I said about keeping your guard? Always keep it up, especially in familiar settings."

Cadyn looked down, his face a mask of discouragement. He knew that his brother was only trying to help him, striving to put into practice the wise advice of their nanny. But it hurt that he was so weak and now he had failed twice. First at politics…now at being ready for any assailant. Why did his brother have to test him all the time? Yet hadn’t numerous assassins already made attempts on their father’s life and even on their own? Yet Mihael had always been there to protect him…If he wasn’t…

“I-I’m sorry, Mihael,” he stammered, holding onto his brother’s shirt tightly, struggling with tears, which he knew would make it even worse, “I…I failed you…And I failed Father this morning. I never get anything right. Why can’t I be strong and brave like you? Oh Alara…Mother…help me…”

The last came out as a mere whisper. The light of the towers always filled him with such confidence and poise that he felt as if he could take on the world. Yet when he descended back into the dank, dark halls of the palace, the shivering, the cold, the fright, the sickness…It all rushed in with overwhelming fury…

“O-oh…Father says I’m supposed to train with you anyway,” he stammered, managing a wan smile, “So maybe you could help me again? You’re so patient, Mihael…If I were you, I don’t think I’d be that patient.”
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rogue.Ember.Shadow Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:02 am

A part of him wanted to throttle his brother for stammering so much at their age, but knew better. He would let Cadyn be for now. Clasping his brother's shoulder that was just a bit higher than his, Mihael smiled and shook his head gently.

"Quit saying sorry all the time. Someone might mistake you for a woman underneath all that garb," he teased then gestured for Cadyn to follow him.

"I'm sorry. Join me me for lunch while I consider our training agenda."

Sitting down, Mihael reached forward and began eating in earnest, only stopping to breath or gulp down some water. Mean or any alcohol this early in the day would only make him lazy.

As his brother sat down on his right side, Mihael began to think. Hand to hand combat, swords, tactics and physical training were their basics. But his brother was weak in almost all of them, save tactics. For being so tall and thin, his brother had the brain makings of a talented strategist. He just didn't think near enough to use the thoughts to outsmart him, which he looked forward to when he did. Mihael was always up for a challenge.

"We shall get you some more muscle on what muscle you have. Once we build up your endurance, than we can work on hand to hand. How does that sound?"

No one bothered them as they ate, not even their father who was probably off in a meeting of some kind. If Cadyn had seen him earlier, it was most likely that he was the way to one.

Rogue.Ember.Shadow
Rogue.Ember.Shadow
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:00 pm

“I…ummm…” Cadyn continued to stammer, looking even more flustered when Mihael said someone might mistake him for a woman, “I mean, I’m not sorry…Ah, Mihael. Stop teasing me!”

He smiled as he said this, however, because he knew Mihael didn’t really mean it. He nodded when Mihael asked him to join him for lunch. It still amazed him how quickly his twin could scarf down the food, while he gently ate his own meal. He wasn’t even through one plate when Mihael had finished two plates piled high with food. Then again, Mihael was undergoing even more rigorous training than he himself was. He could only imagine what exercises the Druid was putting his poor brother through…He shook his head, realizing his brother was speaking.

“Ah, yea, that sounds like a great plan! I do need a lot of work in hand to hand combat. You always beat me Mihael because you’re so strong. I guess I should be training even more like you, but…I know it’s not an excuse, but I always feel tired and sick after I train really hard and then I have to stay in bed for a while and it’s not fun.”

The young prince allowed his voice to drop as he continued, “The…High Druid gave me medicine that he said came from nature, and I know Father wants me to take it because it does make me feel better. But after a while I feel worse, and…well, it takes away the warmth inside me. It’s really strange. Do you think I’m just imagining things, brother?”

He knew that Mihael held the Druid in high regard, as did his Father, so this was a point of some tension between the two.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down