FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tales from Evanotia: Episode 1-The Mirror IC

+2
Ruu
Artorius
6 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Tales from Evanotia: Episode 1-The Mirror IC - Page 2 Empty Re: Tales from Evanotia: Episode 1-The Mirror IC

Post by Artorius Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:05 pm

As Clytie and Mariel, as well as Alexander and Briek left Ramayat, the city's "soul lights" ceased to be. They vanished, and soon enough the cave began to collapse. Stalagmites fell from the ceiling like hail battering the stone floor and the great monuments of Ramayat. The Black Pyramid fell into itself, and before the travelers knew it, Ramayat was no more. Yet, out of its rubble rose something, something that had not been roused in a millenia. From under the Black Pyramid, something was tunneling its way up. In a loud crack like thunder, debris went flying every which way and then, a deafening roar escaped from the beast which had found itself awake. It was a roar which could be heard for miles. It was a Guardian.

The great Black Dragon took to the skies through a hole in the cave celing. It could be seen by travelers close to the eastern deserts. The great Black Dragon soon flew out of sight, though, and out of mind.

----------

Briek walked along an ice encrusted road with his young companion. As the two were walking along they could hear a monstrous roar coming from the caverns they had just left. This roar was soon followed by the appearance of a grand beast, a Black Dragon. Briek's heart skipped a beat as it appeared to be readying itself to swoop down and kill the two travelers, yet his fears were put to rest as it flew off to the east.

Briek led Alexander into the forest just off the road. It had not been more than five minutes when they found a rather large oak which had many tally marks in its bark. This tree was a common resting place for travelers. As such, Briek decided to make camp. He laid down at the base of the tree and drew his hood.

"Its time to rest kid, get some sleep. There'll be no fire tonight either, I've got no wood and I'd rather not attract bandits, and sprites."

Soon after he related these words to Alexander, Briek fell fast asleep.
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Tales from Evanotia: Episode 1-The Mirror IC - Page 2 Empty Re: Tales from Evanotia: Episode 1-The Mirror IC

Post by Rusty Wings Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:07 am

Clytie shrugged self-consciously when Mariel wondered at her thin harbor town clothing, and was grateful when the witch wrapped her in her own warm (if strangely lively) cloak. She gave a relieved sigh, her frosty breath misting up towards the sky, then breathed a tired thanks, realizing how exhausted she was now that her cold was being dealt with. The coat did indeed wriggle, as Mariel had warned it might, but as curious as Clytie was about the door-mice, she let them be for now.

It seemed as though the mysterious wonders that surrounded her new companion would never cease when the two travelers reached the tent, held up by a tree that looked to have sprouted only moments ago, even as tall and sturdy as it was. Clytie stared up at this in awe as Mariel set her down by the fire, the warmth of which certainly did not go unnoticed; Clytie was a seaside girl who had gone too long without the heat of the sun, so now every touch of warmth caressed her like the long-missed smile of an old friend. She did not think she would be able to articulate her thankfulness when her unexpected rescuer handed her a thicker cloak and woolen socks, things which Clytie had never needed or even thought of until now.

"Oh, thank you! Thank you so very much!" she practically gushed, wriggling into the clothes and wrapping them around her in a tight cocoon.

I seem to be having excellent luck companion-wise, at least, Clytie thought with a little smile. A warrior in a city under siege and a kind witch in a place of dark magick. Mother Sky and Father Tide must be watching over me.

"Now I dunno what you plan on doin'," Mariel said, claiming Clytie's attention from her reverie, "but if ya wish you can come with me to the Lake of Tears."

Clytie furrowed her brow at the gloominess of the name of the little witch's destination. "What's at the Lake of Tears?" she asked just as the Black Dragon flew from its place beneath Ramayat. The travelers could not see the dragon from their place inside Mariel's tent, but they heard the great rush of wind as it lifted itself into the sky on its wings, and they listened as it faded from the sky and from their minds.
Rusty Wings
Rusty Wings
Shadow
Shadow

Female

http://www.sickburnsides.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:21 pm

Alexander's eyes widened as a dark, demonic dragon appeared in the air. As it drew closer, Alexander's expression turned glazed. Why did the dragon seem as if it was looking directly at him, peering into his soul? The boy shuddered, and the spell broke, the beast flying off into the east. The young heir breathed a sigh of relief before following after Briek.

When they reached a large tree, Briek informed him that this was a place they could rest. The prince nodded at Briek's words about being unable to light a fire. Briek was asleep in a mere matter of moments, and Alexander soon followed him into dreamland.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alexander awoke early the next morning and sat up against the tree, lost in thought. Were the girl and woman who had followed them alright? Why had his powers erupted on their own? He still didn't understand their secret...He wished his master was here to tell him the answers. Why did the dragon seem to stare into his soul? He looked over at Briek's sleeping form, sighing. He had to tell him the truth. He had to tell him who he was. He could live a lie no longer...
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:43 pm

The sun rose up and all of Evanotia glittered as gold, it was in stark contrast to the dark times which had befallen the Great Continent. A war of unmatched scale, except in legend, was now raging upon the face of this great planet. Already, thousands were dead, and many more were displaced in the chaos. Refugees, deserters, and more wandered in the Northern Wilderness. Yet, one rose above all and united these lost souls. It had begun along the same timeline as the departure of the four heroes. A young man, starving and stumbling through the great northern mountain range came across something long thought to be a myth, a soul crystal. A solid, physical embodiment of essence, always glowing, and a tool to heal the sick, blind, and crippled.

Through the power of the soul crystal that young man soon gained a following. Refugees from the city of Grandia, and from the country of Reardon flocked to him, hoping to be cured from injuries, or simply looking for some measure of society after being lost in those mountains. With the power of the crystal, days were like weeks and a city began to sprout up deep within the mountain range. It was hidden, in a mist-like fog and its inhabitants all bowed down to The Prophet.

--------------------
Briek awoke to the sound of birds chirping. Sunlight crept through the tree tops, green grass covered in frost adorned the forest floor and signs of animal-life were everywhere. The forest was like a singular Eden embedded in the deepest depths of hell. While war raged across the land, this sanctuary remained untouched. Briek was at peace. The seasoned wanderer noticed young Alexander seemingly contemplative, lost in thought. He rose to his feet and confronted his young companion.

"What troubles you, Alexander? I advise you sort it out quickly. We have only about a five hour journey left on foot. Certainly, we can be there before supper and maybe receive a hot meal." Briek said this as though he didn't care for Alexander's input or thought, although he very much wanted to know what was on his mind.

Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:07 pm

Alex looked up as Briek approached him, asking him what troubled him. The man acted as if he didn't care for Alex's response, but he could see a faint gleam of curiosity in Briek's eyes. The boy hesitated for a moment, unsure of how to broach the subject. But...he and Briek had already been through some adventures together. The older man deserved to know the truth. Perhaps, Briek would believe his story and even agree to aid him on his quest. Though the hardened warrior might have plans of his own.

"I was just...thinking...Of my future quest, beyond the Lake of Tears. Sir Briek...I'm sorry, I haven't been entirely truthful with you. When you hear my story, I hope you find it in your heart to believe me and to forgive my caution," he said, taking a deep breath before continuing, "I told you my name is Alexander. I did not tell you my full name. I am Alexander Drakengard II, sole survivor of my family, the only one with Drakengard blood in my veins. I was saved by a close confidante to my father, a Drakonian. For years he trained me and prepared me to reclaim my throne. But...we were attacked and separated. I fled to Fossa, hoping to find him, but the city was attacked, as you know. I don't know if he was there...or if he even survives. But I mean to return to my homeland and reclaim my throne, because that is what he would have wanted me to do. The Regent should hold no claim to what rightfully belongs to me, and if he denies my rights...well...I haven't come unprepared. You saw...what was done during our battle. I can't explain how I do it. It's something that works through me...My mentor never finished teaching me how to control it. I wish I could...But there, you have my story. You can choose to believe or disbelieve, but I would be honored if you continued traveling with me and perhaps...if...well...ah, never mind..."

Here Alexander finally finished, turning away and looking at the ground uncomfortably.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:01 pm

Briek mulled over Alexander's words for several minutes. Why the young man would reveal such a heavy secret to a nearly complete stranger was beyond him. Yet, he couldn't help but feel for the boy. He had heard of the slaughter of the royal family, the rumor of a living heir, and of those who had been sent to find that heir. Indeed in the far south, Regent Skoll Arhenhand had already begun assembling an elite force, tasked with tracking down and killing Alexander. They were known as the White Knights, distinguished by their ceremonial white armor. They were akin to the Dragoons of Fester, but highly trained in one aspect of battle. They each had a special skill, a special tool with which to carry out their dark orders. Even now, as Briek and Alexander made their way to the Lake of Tears, they were being hunted. The White Knights were resourceful, and their allies were many. Briek and Alexander needed to get to the lake.

"Alexander... I do not know why you have confided in me... but I can help you. We must make our way to the lake and we will discuss this further."

-----------------
After a six hour journey, Briek and Alexander had made it to the Lake of Tears, a neutral territory in a harsh war-zone. They were admitted through a mile high stone wall. When they had walked a few feet, they would see the beauty of the lake city. It was an ivory temple-looking amalgamation of structures. It was romanesque in style with arches and columns aplenty. Its beautifully carved architecture was circular in shape. The beautiful marble from which it was carved shone brilliantly in the winter evening sun. After soaking in the beauty of Angsbad, the lake city, Briek entered a large hall that cut through the heart of the city. It was here that Fate would decree a strangely perfect storm of events, leading to an unescapable Destiny.

"Wait here, boy." communicated the wanderer to Alexander.

The grand hall's lobby was a busy hub, filled with traders, mercenaries, townspeople, and more. Briek navigated through the lively mass to reach a man who looked a little different from the rest. He wore golden scale armor which was surprisingly quite compact, unlike others of its kind, bulky and heavier than two men.

"Oh no no no no no..." uttered the man in golden armor as he began to walk away.

"Lawrence! It is urgent, now stop playing games and be a man." ordered Briek

"My friend.... last time something was urgent we trekked through Al Kaddor and found ourselves fighting undead and lycans!" exclaimed the man named Lawrence.

"This time is different, I promise. There's even less danger, think espionage. Our movement will be quiet and you'll be well compensated for your help." explained Briek

"You know, somehow, I don't think this is quite as easy as you're making it sound."

"Just trust me on this one, Lawrence."

Lawrence uneasily stopped walking away. He turned to face Briek.

"You better have a shit-load of tins for me after this is over..."

Briek walked backed to Alexander accompanied by the golden knight, Lawrence.

"Alexander this is Lawrence Dabu, golden knight and grandmaster of the Central chapter of the Monster Hunter Order of the Valiant."

"Pleased to meet you, Alexander. Briek seems quite impressed with you, and its rare that I see him impressed with anything short of gigantic beasts and local myths." Lawrence nodded at the young warrior
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:10 am

Alexander released a breath he didn't realize he had been holding when Briek agreed to help him. He knew things could have ended badly. His mentor had always cautioned against revealing his identity to anyone. But Alexander had felt a kindred spirit in Briek, someone he could trust. He was thankful his trust had not been misplaced.

"You are a good man, Sir Briek, and you have my heartfelt thanks. If our venture proves to have a happy ending, you shall be rewarded richly," he nodded, bowing his head.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When they reached the Lake of Tears at last, the young prince looked around in amazement. Angsbad was such a beautiful city, untouched by the worries of conflict and war. The ivory glinted with a purity that soothed Alexander's cares and fears. After soaking in this beauty, Briek led him to a large building in the center of the city and instructed him to wait. Briek was gone for a matter of moments before he brought back a man clad in gold armor, introducing him as golden knight and grandmaster of the Monster Order of the Valiant. Alexander had to struggle to keep the awe from his features as he bowed his head at Lawrence's kind words.

"It is an a pleasure to meet you, Grandmaster Lawrence. I am honored by your presence. I am glad that Sir Briek thinks highly of me. He is a good man, and I owe him my life," he said sincerely.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Torturous Flame Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:19 am

Mariel frowned for a moment, on the edge of her essence she felt a change in the way nature structured itself. Something of power shifted. The witch brushed it aside and smiled at her charge.

"The Lake of Tears is a neutral area just south'a here, 'bout a six-hour walk. Some sister witches live there who we c'n stay with." Mariel said.

Mariel stood to pull out a second blanket and cushion for Clytie to sleep on. The witch handed them to Clytie, and then sat back down. The cushion and blanket both smelled of herbs and smoke, they seemed to emanate warmth, just as the cloak Mariel had given Clytie did. Mariel put a teapot on a stand over the fire to heat some water. As the water began to boil, which caused the pot to squeal, Mariel's coat moved a bit and out crawled a dormouse. It crawled down onto Mariel's sleeve. Mariel looked down at her arm and smiled.

"Hey there little sister." Mariel said with a smile. "You'n'your nest want some tea to?"

The little dormouse stood up on two legs and squeaked loudly. A few more mice crawled out from under Mariel's lapel. Mariel took the teapot off the fire and placed two bags in it. She grabbed two very chipped and cracked cups and a shallow dish. She filled both cups and set the less cracked one before Clytie. Then she poured a little of the tea into the dish. The mice gathered around the dish to drink. Mariel drank some of her tea. She took off her cloak and laid it beside her.

"We gotta start early tomorra, Better get some sleep." Mariel told Clytie.

The next morning Mariel roused Clytie so they could pack up. The first thing to reach her senses was the smell of cooking vegetables. Mariel had dished her out a plate. Mariel’s already cleared plate sat nearby. Some dormice lay on Mariel’s pillow, fast asleep. Mariel had begun to busy herself with packing everything up.

“Eat up! We have a long way to go today!”

Somehow Mariel managed to fold up the tent and shove it into her pack. She stood and pulled her bushy brown hair into a ponytail. She wrapped her cloak around her and ushered the dormice back into a pocket. She smiled at Clytie and took her dish when she finished. She wiped it off and stuck it into her already bulging pack.

“The Lake of Tears is said to have crazy powerful healin properties. Hopefully we can get there before sundown so I’ll have some time to check it out.” Mariel said as she started walking.

Eventually they arrived in the lake city. Mariel smiled cheerily at the grim guards who allowed them to walk through the thick walls. Mariel’s brown eyes sparkled as a truly awed smiled reached her eyes. She took a deep breath in and slowly let it out.

“Can’t ya’ feel the magick? It just radiates from the water!” Mariel said.

The quirky little witch practically skipped through the streets, her eyes darting to every storefront. She appeared to be looking for something. Soon she stopped before a large, old house. The old wood had been patched many times and the stairs had been walked on so many times that a dip formed in them. A pentagram with the symbol for each element at the five points was carved into the doorway, as well as a dove within a teardrop below it. Mariel trudged up the stairs and beckoned Clytie to accompany her. She then knocked on the door. An old woman answered. She was a formidable old woman, shrunken with age. She carried a staff as well and had sharp green eyes that examined her visitors. Mariel nodded her head in respect.

“Hello Witchmother, I am Mariel Verde-Ursa of the Flowering Cactus Coven. This is Clytie, my companion. I request a room where we may rest and a warm meal. If the coven is in need I will do my best to aid you.” Mariel said softly.

The old woman smiled.

“Hello, Sister Mariel. I am Delia Flavus-Picus. We are the Tearful Dove Coven. Please come in.” Delia said.

The woman ushered her two guests into the house. They were seated and given herbal tea. Mariel’s bag was taken to a spare bedroom.
Torturous Flame
Torturous Flame
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:19 pm

"Lets not get ahead of ourselves, my young friend. As for you, Lawrence, we must make preparations. I fully intend to meet with Elder Skye. I know you have some friends, some very powerful friends, I need to see him." communicated Briek

"Elder Skye... he... he's been missing lately." stuttered the golden knight

Briek sighed uncomfortably, this would cause a lot of complications.

"What do you mean he's been missing?" asked Briek

"No one's seen him for days, and he's not in his chambers. He hasn't left the city for centuries..." said Lawrence.

"Alexander... I'm afraid... Elder Skye is the only man, with the continent in this state... who could have validated your claim to the throne. We're going to have to do this the hard way...."

Even Alexander had heard legends of the Elder Skye, and it troubled him greatly that the old man couldn't be found. Things were changing too quickly...Dark designs seemed to be set in motion that should have not begun for many, many years.

"He's...the only one?" asked Alexander with wide eyes.

Certainly his mentor hadn't said anything about proving himself, had he? Weren't Alexander's appearances, his connection to essence, and the family crest he wore hidden under his chest enough? Apparently not, if Briek was saying only Elder Skye could have proved it. Alexander wondered what the hard way would be.

"What would...this hard way be?" he asked wistfully, "I-I'd hate to inconvenience you after you've already done so much for me."

Briek sighed, he knew it was going to come up, he knew he would have to tell Alexander.

"Alexander... we have to find the fabled Mercury's Mirror..." said Briek in a hushed tone.

Lawrence fumbled around before speaking up. "Friend, we have chased this legend before, it is not worth it. If he is the heir there are other ways!" whispered Lawrence.

Briek looked on Lawrence with indignation. "Not like this! This will validate him. THIS will make him a king." insisted Briek.

Lawrence looked his old comrade-in-arms straight in the eye. He clenched his fists and then looked to Alexander. He could see the youth's curiosity and the extreme trust he had in Briek. He did not want to lead him astray, and he knew Briek had a knack for getting in trouble. There was no doubt in his mind that the road to the mirror would be dangerous.

"Alexander, if you follow him on this journey there will be no turning back. I can promise you it will be perilous. Briek will protect you as best he can, but at some point you will need to become a brother in arms, not an escorted prince. Can you do that?" asked Lawrence.

"Stop scaring him off. This is obviously what he wants Lawrence. Alexander, the hard road is actually going to involve a lot more than a clear-cut path. We will venture into war-zones, and perhaps even more dangerous paths. Mercury's Mirror was the property of old King Raymond of Enola, but it was lost in the Great Essence War many years ago. We need to visit your family's crypt for clues as to where the mirror could be. We'll have to infiltrate Enola..."

Alexander's eyes widened at the mention of Mercury's Mirror. He had heard of it in legends, of course, but its mere mention filled him with courage and a desire to do great deeds, see wonderful marvels. Even though he listened carefully to Lawrence's words, he could not shake the starstruck expression from his eyes. This mission would be fitting. To find the Mirror and to reclaim his place as King would establish in everyone's right his royal blood and his worth. He didn't want people to accept him merely as the son of the former King, but as someone who could lead in their own right. Skoll obviously was not fit for this position, but Alexander felt that he himself wasn't ready yet. This venture would be the ultimate test of his strength.

"I am ready to return to the place of my Fathers," he said slowly, "Thank you, Master Lawrence, for your words of caution. But Briek is right. This is what I want. A chance to prove myself. A chance to show I am not merely someone with noble blood, but a man who is fit to lead and guide his people. Showing any less would do the blood flowing through my veins a grave injustice."
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Wings Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:51 pm

Clytie nodded at Mariel's explanation of why she was headed to the Lake of Tears and decided that it was as good a destination as any, especially if these other witches she spoke of were as kind and accomodating as Mariel was herself. Clytie hadn't been this taken-care-of since she left her home in Llyr. She laughed and smiled at the adorable dormice that appeared from the witch's coat, sipping on the tea she had been provided. When she'd finished her tea she barely heard Mariel telling her they needed an early start; she was falling asleep before her head hit the cushion.

The next morning Clytie was roused from her first good sleep in weeks to the delicious smell of breakfast. She ate gratefully but quickly so she could help Mariel pack, but it turned out that the little witch didn't need much assistance.

"The Lake of Tears is said to have crazy powerful healin properties," Mariel said when they set out. "Hopefully we can get there before sundown so I'll have some time to check it out."

The journey to the lake city was pleasant enough; Mariel's cheerful prattle kept Clytie's spirits up, and outside of Ramayat the scenery was actually quite lovely. Then, after what seemed like no time at all, they were there.

"Can't ya feel the magick? It just radiates from the water!" Mariel exclaimed. Clytie smiled hugely, because she could feel it, and it was the most wonderful thing she'd ever felt.

"It's lovely," she breathed. They didn't linger long, however; Mariel was off, clearly looking for something, and Clytie followed curiously behind. Eventually they arrived at an old, wooden house marked with a sigul of a dove in a teardrop. Clytie hung back for a moment, unsure of whether or not she should intrude, but Mariel beckoned her forth so she shyly stepped forward. An old woman answered Mariel's knock and surveyed the two newcomers.

"Hello Witchmother, I am Mariel Verde-Ursa of the Flowering Cactus Coven. This is Clytie, my companion. I request a room where we may rest and a warm meal. If the coven is in need I will do my best to aid you," Mariel said softly, after which Clytie smiled and waved awkwardly, unsure of what the protocol was for living in a house of witches. The old woman smiled at them and introduced herself as Delia Flavus-Pica before ushering them inside and giving them herbal tea, which Clytie drank eagerly.

"This is lovely!" she exclaimed. "Do all witches live like this? And so kind!" Clytie looked around with wonder, smiling unstoppably. "Will we be staying here long?"
Rusty Wings
Rusty Wings
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:54 pm

"Very well... it seems I cannot deter you from this quest. So I will aid you as best I can. You are welcome to spend the night here, it is safe and there is food and beds aplenty at the local inn. I will also gladly supply you with what I can from the guild headquarters. You are always welcome to look through the guild armory my friend." said Lawrence

Briek nodded at Lawrence and then turned toward Alexander.

"We will spend the night here and make preparations for the journey ahead. You can go off and explore, there are things I must discuss with Lawrence." explained Briek

Briek then walked with Grandmaster Lawrence to the guild headquarters. There they spoke in private of matters concerning the quest ahead.

-------------------
Unknown Location, Same Day

It seemed as if the ceiling itself was moving as though made of some suspended liquid. In fact, the entire cave seemed to move. It glowed a strange blue and seemed as if in constant motion.

"You will never find it, I promise you." said an older looking man with conviction.

"I beg to differ. You will tell me where it is, or you will suffer." warned a much younger man

The old man wore a flowing blue robe with gold embroidery all over it. He had a thick white beard with intermediate streaks of gray, while the hair on top of his head had long ago disappeared. He sat cross legged inside of glowing white cell. Obviously, the cell was not a physical one, but a spiritual, or magical one. Elder Skye was trapped, and there was no way, at least no obvious way, he could escape. The younger looking man's features were hidden by a black cloak.

"You will lead me to the mirror, or you will die."

The young man had given Elder Skye an ultimatum, ultimate power, or the ultimate sacrifice? The fate of Elder Skye, nay... the world, rested with him.
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:40 pm

"You are a true Master, noble and kind," said Alexander with a bow towards Lawrence, "Know that if our quest is successful you will receive whatever I can give."

Alexander nodded as Briek said that he needed to speak to Lawrence. After a slight nodding of the head, he turned to wander through the streets of the beautiful city. He eagerly drank in the sights and sounds that he had only heard of in stories. His isolation had not allowed him to see many landmarks of the world. This adventure, though dangerous, was proving to be a wonderful chance for exploration. He perused through shops, though he had little money, glancing casually at the fine wares. He watched street performers, dancers, and jugglers. All the while he was little concerned about danger, for hadn't Lawrence said that this city was safe. Even with a deadly group of assassins in hot pursuit, Alexander could feel safe and at peace. He wondered even more what had happened to his masters. If those men were as dangerous as Briek had said, it seemed his master had led all but one or two of them away from Alexander's trail, otherwise the boy might not have survived. If the Knights were pursuing him now, did that mean his Master was...gone?
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:56 pm

The Lake of Tears, Nightfall

As the black shroud of the night sky descended over Angsbad, Briek decided to turn in early. However, the rest of the town was quite lively with floating lanterns placed at regular intervals throughout the city. Indeed, Angsbad was known for more than Elder Skye and its water, it was known for its over-the-top parties as well. Street performers- jugglers, acrobats, sword-swallowers, fire eaters, and the like- were abound in Angsbad's streets and halls as well as pipers, and other musical acts. Additionally, cart-vendors selling alcohol were equally abundant. Vialan, human, and drakonian youths danced and watched performances all around the city. Drunken youths were already starting to appear and it wouldn't be long until the city revealed the one detracting trait it had- it was also known as a city of temptation.

Briek tossed and turned as celebrations took place outside. He was trapped within the labyrinth that was his mind. It contained visions of an event which had happened long ago.

-----------------------
A turbulent storm assaulted a comparatively miniscule sail-boat. It had but one sailor aboard. The poor soul had a scruffy black beard, and was as scrawny as a toothpick. He was tossed like a rag doll at the mercy of the sea. The boat nearly capsized several times as it was battered ceaselessly by unrelenting waves. The scrawny, bearded sailor was coughing up sea water and catching his breath whenever he could. The sailor's eyes widened as a gargantuan wave seemed to devour the moon. As it crashed down, the force smashed his boat into several pieces. The sailor clung to one such piece as his only means of floatation. He cried out desperately, before the storm consumed him.

"Hey... hey... whats your name?"

The sailor opened his eyes. A black haze still dominated his vision, but slowly, it returned to normal. Soon enough, the sailor could make out a child. He was a Vialan boy, skinny and blue, the fish-like humanoid boy ran away. When the boy returned he was accompanied by an adult Vialan, male. The more athletic adult took the scrawny sailor up into his arms and carried him away from a beautiful beach. The sailor grabbed the Vialan by a golden necklace which he wore and spoke to him.

"My name is..." the sailor coughed twice, "...D-D-De..."

"Quiet yourself my friend, there will be plenty of time for introductions later," assured the Vialan.
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:01 pm

As the night sparkled with the glow of lovely lanterns hovering as if by magic in the air, Alexander took everything in with wonder-filled eyes. It was all so magnificent, for he had truly never seen such a spectacle in his lifetime. The partying, performances, and merrymaking that accompanied the lanterns, however, were not as suited to his tastes. It had only been him and his guardian in years before, and so he wasn't used to that many people. The sights, sounds, and smells were overwhelming to him so he quickly returned to the inn. He soon retired to his bedroom, glancing out the windows at the lanterns sparkling like fireflies. They soothed him and lulled him into a soft, sweet slumber, the likes of which he hadn't had in a long time, what with the fear of flight and the troubles in Fossa.

His dreams were slightly troubled, however. They were dreams filled with a man he had not seen but knew who ruled Enola with an iron fist. Water sometimes frequented his dreams, a haunting whispering sound, the sound of nature and of magic. A mirror, bright and burnished, but hazy and immaterial, most likely he dreamed of this because of Briek's mention of the Mirror. The rest of his dreams were washed in the haze of blessed sleep, and the night drew on to a close...
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by striDer Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:38 pm

-Is that the guy?-
Pointing in a hooded man's direction, one of the nobles who were enjoying the party asked his masked companion to confirm the identity of the supposed assassin who'd been hired to kill him.
-That be him, sire.- said the juggler who’d overheard some rumors about the hooded figure. Of course, the reason he was giving the assassin away was because he expected to be rewarded handsomely.
-Very well.-
Snapping his fingers, the nobleman ordered his bodyguards to approach the hit man and seize him.
-You’ve done well, friend.- the noble complimented the informer –Tell me, what is it that you ask for your loyalty?-
As soon as the guards were over the hooded individual, two of them snatched him by the arms and turned him to face a third one, who then removed the man’s hood to reveal that he was nothing but a frightened old pauper.
-There’s only one thing I ask, my lord…-

*SHINK*

Before the nobleman could do anything about it, the juggler’s hand had already driven a sharp blade through his nape all the way out his throat.
Removing his mask, Alester glared coldly at his victim as life abandoned him with each second.
-Remember this face, sire.- he said without a hint of mercy in his voice. By then, the multitude had already erupted into frenzy as the guards struggled to hurry back and aid their lord –Remember the faces of all the people you butchered in Tallon and beg Haldros (guardian spirit of the afterlife) that his judgment is swift and merciful.-
Twisting the dagger within the wound, Alester severed the man’s head off before placing it in a bag. Thereafter, he looked for the best route of escape while merging into the panicking crowd. Of course, he would conceal the bleeding bag under his cape as to not raise suspicion once he was out of there.

Minutes later, Alester managed to arrive at a lone alley. After making sure no one had followed him, he pulled out the bag with the severed head. There was only one thing he wanted: his enemy’s eyes, for they were the windows to the soul, and without them, the nobleman would not find peace, trapped forever within his own earthly body. Or so Alester believed…
After retrieving his prize, Alester made his way to the streets again. Once there, his plan was to escape the city before anyone could recognize him. However, as fate would have it, the nobleman’s escorts were not too far behind him and the blood on his clothes would only worsen the situation with the city guard.
-Assassin!- yelled out one of them, and so the chase begun.
Alester rushed through the streets of Angsbad at full speed, pushing pedestrians out of the way as more and more officers followed in pursuit. Eventually, Alester had no choice but to hole in within a building, a local inn of sorts. Immediately after entering, he barred the door with a nearby coat stand and hurried upstairs, much to the owner’s dismay. Alester knew the door wouldn’t hold for long, so he had to hide somewhere quickly. Picking the lock to one of the rooms, Alester barged into Briek’s and Alexander’s quarters before closing the door carefully behind him. However, the ruckus downstairs was enough to wake both guests up, and before Briek could say or ask anything, Alester had already drawn his sword, tapping Alexander’s cheek gently with the blunt side of its edge as a sign of warning.
-Tell them anything and the boy dies.-
Alester’s words felt alien in his tongue. He had absolutely no intention to hurt the boy; in fact, he found such acts despicable. But he’d been driven into a corner and would not be caught, not yet, not when his retribution was so close at hand…
striDer
striDer
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:22 pm

The festivities of the night were suddenly interrupted by a singular act of violence not often executed in Angsbad- assassination. Town watch burst into the inn and quickly made their way upstairs, halberds in hand they swiftly knocked down the door which a blood trail had led them to. Once they entered they would immediately spot Briek, next they would see young Alexander; Alester was hidden in the shadows.

"Where did he go!?" demanded the town watch.

Briek looked at the lot of them, dumbfounded, before replying, "He escaped through the window! He's out on the streets, I'd hurry," suggested Briek.

The town guard hurriedly stumbled out of the inn, desperate to catch the criminal who had disrupted a century old peace. Briek got up and shut the door.

"Let the boy go. What is it you want?"

Briek slipped his hand under his pillow, where his dagger was concealed.
--------------------------------------------
Fossa, Two Days Ago

CLINK CLINK CLINK

The tall knight’s bulky armor clinked as he walked into a tavern, The Pearl it was called. In Fossa’s current state, the tavern was more of a hospital than inn. The knight’s armor was blinding in its luster, only adding to the distracting luster of the armor was its white tint. As nurses attended to wounded Gornadans, the intimidating figure scanned the room through the eyeholes in his helmet. It was a frog-mouthed helm and definitely masked any distinguishing features, yet, ironically enough, in its uniqueness, it was a distinguishing characteristic. The white knight breathed heavily before approaching the bed of a rather interesting fellow. He was a bloody mess, covered in cuts, scrapes, and stab wounds. Yet, somehow, he was alive. The figure had shoulder length black hair, and surprisingly visible through all that blood on his naked torso was an enormous tattoo. The tattoo was drawn in silver ink, an exotic color not found on the Grand Continent. It depicted a wolf howling.
The intimidating knight kneeled next to the injured soldier and spoke to him, without removing his helm.

“I see you yet live. Tell me where the girl went, and I promise not to snuff out your miserable life just now.”

Marik chuckled, “Miserable? You have to be kidding me. I’m having fun in Fossa.”

The white knight took his right thumb and applied pressure to a sewn up wound near Marik’s ribcage. Marik winced in pain, and ground his teeth together, but otherwise showed little indication of pain.

“Again, tell me where the girl went.”

“Look buddy, its going to take a lot mo-“

The knight punctured Marik’s side with only his thumb and began to pull at his internal organs.

“GAH! What the hell! Okay! Stop!” exclaimed Marik.

“Are you ready to talk?” asked the knight

Marik scowled and then spat with perfect aim right through the knight’s eyeholes. The knight paused for several seconds and then proceeded to grab Marik by the throat. He was incredibly strong and managed to lift Marik with one hand. It was astonishing. Everyone looked on as the knight interrogated Marik.

“Listen here, you WILL tell me where she went, or I will crush your windpipe,” threatened the knight.

“She went to the damned lake! Let me go!” yelled Marik.

The knight tossed the injured warrior into his bloodstained mattress and then stormed off. As he stomped away over bloodstained cobblestone, a monstrous roar could be heard in the distance and if he looked overhead, to the east, he would notice a jet black streak across the sky.

Last edited by Artorius on Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Wed Jun 29, 2011 11:31 pm

Alexander's dreams were fitful, as he dueled, blade to blade with an unknown assailant. The dream fight ended with his own sword knocked away, the other pointed directly at him. The smooth, cold blade touched his cheek and he awoke, to find that at least part of his dream was true. A frostbitten blade was held so close to his neck. One wrong move and he'd most likely lose a vital part of his body. He bit back a cry of fright. He was a Prince. He should have no fear, as Caeus taught him. Alexander didn't dare risk a look at the one threatening him. Was it one of the Knights who had been chasing him? But this place...it was a neutral zone and violence was not supposed to occur here. If the Knights had found him, however, he would rather die than be taken away. He would not be a pawn in someone's political game!

As these thoughts roved through his mind, a group of rather disgruntled guards ran in, demanding to know where the convict had gone, most likely the person threatening him. Briek threw them off the trail and then turned to demand that the newcomer release the young Prince. Alexander trusted Briek so he remained quiet, trying to calm his breaths. If this was to be the end, he'd die a noble death. He would not be a coward and beg for his life. He risked a glance up at his captor, his eyes filled with a quiet strength.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:41 am

"Let the boy go. What is it you want?"

Briek slipped his hand under his pillow, where his dagger was concealed. Backing away a little, Alester looked out the window to confirm the guards were retreating.

-I want nothing more than my freedom, friend. I´ll release the boy when it's safe for me to do so.-

Upon looking out the window, Alester would notice a group of town watch knocking over liquor carts and street performers, as well as dispersing crowds while searching for the assassin.

-What’s your name, boy?- Alester suddenly inquired, his eyes glancing between the window and Briek.

Alexander's heart froze when Alester asked him his name. Why would he want to know his name unless...he was one of the Knights? Perhaps this was all a ruse and in a moment his throat would be slit. "Why should I tell you after you've threatened me?" he said, voice soft but defiant.

Alester eyed the back of the boy's head for a brief instant. -If it makes you feel better, I’m not enjoying this more than you are. I was just trying to make you feel less…”uncomfortable” would be the term.-

Alexander pondered the man's words. Perhaps he was being sincere. He would've liked it better if the sword were no longer threatening him, but as it was he didn't see any reason not to reveal his name, at least part of it. "I'm...Alex," he said, voice still taut with emotion, "Please, listen to my friend. I've done you no harm."

Briek looked at the two uneasily before interjecting, "Look, the guards are gone, let him go and we can talk under civil terms."

As the exchange was entering a detente, the door burst open, and in stepped Lawrence Dabu.

"Oh... was I.. interrupting something?"

As soon as Alester recognized Lawrence's armor, his blade went from Alexander's cheek towards the guard's head with one swift motion.

"So you must be the assassin..." Lawrence leaned back to put some distance between himself and the blade, "We can help each other..." proposed Lawrence

Alex looked up gratefully when Lawrence appeared, and released a breath he hadn't realized he had been holding when Alester let him go and fled. Swiftly pulling the knife from under the pillow, Briek threw it with pinpoint accuracy, right in front of the assassin.

"Don't take another step or this next knife will end up in your throat," threatened Briek.

"Wait, sir...please, listen to him. We can help you," said Alex

Alester looked at everyone in the room one by one, still keeping a defensive stance with sword drawn.
-Why would you want to help me after what I did to you? And you...- he addressed Lawrence -You're no better than an officer. Why would you want MY help? I'm not falling for it, draw your swords or get out of my way! -

Lawrence gave Alester a stern look before answering his questions.

"I must stay here and continue the search for Elder Skye. Because of this situation, I will not be able to join Briek and Alexander as promised. Go in my stead, and I will pardon all crimes and bounties on your head within Angsbad."

"You didn't hurt me, so I don't see why you should be punished. Master Lawrence is a good person. He wouldn't sell you out. And you'd be a great help on our journey. Please, at least consider it," pleaded Alexander.

Briek was a bit skeptical. "Great... so an assassin is going to be "protecting" Alexander? That sounds like a stretch my friend."

Grinning, Alester gave Alexander a strange look, as if he'd just told the wittiest joke in the world. -You don't know me, Alex. For all you know, I could agree to accompany you just to slit your throat in your sleep and make away with my freedom. Tell me then, how helpful would I be? Am I not an assassin after all?-

"You could do that, and I guess I'd deserve that if it happened for not being more careful. But I just...have a feeling you wouldn't. If you wanted to kill me, you could have easily done so-"

Lawrence spoke up, "Alester, you are going to be helpful, because I will bind you to Alexander."

"-wait...bind?" blinked Alexander, cutting off as he heard Lawrence's words.

Binding was a magical process by which two human souls would become one. It had not only intangible effects, but physical ones as well. Pain as well as other bodily sensations became transferrable. In essence, the two participants became one person, equally reliant on each other. The ceremony was insignificant for such an amazing marvel of magick. Lawrence approached Alester and grabbed his forearm. Quickly, he slit his wrist, and just as quickly he did the same to Alexander. In some work of magick, Lawrence seemed to control their blood. The blood of each participant swirled in the air as if in unison and seemed to pool together before dispersing between Alexander and Alester and sealing their wounds. Where their wrists were slit were now black magick symbols.

Whipping his arm away from Lawrence's grasp, Alester glared at him fiercely. -Wha the hell did you just do?!-

Alexander barely had time to flinch when Lawrence slit their wrists and their blood became intermingled. He felt a strange sensation, something he couldn't describe. He looked from Alester to Lawrence to Briek with wide eyes. He wasn't sure if this was the best idea, but it looked like what was done had been done. Besides, he trusted Lawrence. The man wouldn't do anything he didn't think was good for them.

"You two are bound together, equally reliant on each other. I'd give you the whole shpeel, but I've learned its more fun to figure out the effects for yourselves."

Huffing, Alester made his way towards the door. - I don't have time for this.-

"Wait! Please...You can't just leave!" cried Alexander.

Alexander wasn't quite sure what had happened, but if they were bound, bad things were sure to happen if they were far apart. As this thought crossed Alexander's mind, Lawrence punched Alexander in the gut, as he was closer. The effects would be felt in seconds.
Alexander barely had time to register anything before Lawrence's swift fist struck him in the stomach, knocking the wind from him. An expression of confusion and hurt touched flashed on his face as he looked up with wide eyes.

"M-Master Lawrence? W-why would you do that? Please...I don't understand," he stammered.

Almost as if by reflex, Alester punched Lawrence back, only he did so in the face and Lawrence's head cocked back as he accepted the punch, -What the hell is wrong with you people?- However, as soon as he saw the effects on Alexander, Alester felt a cold shiver up his spine -You're mad! He's only a child!-

Then the golden knight picked up young Alexander by the nape of his clothing saying, "Sorry Alex, but it seems Alester is still a little uninterested. Please forgive me, I hope this doesn't hurt that bad."

Alexander had little time to react once again as Lawrence then tossed him out of the second story window. With a startled yelp he would land on the hard marble floor, possibly landing on a street performer. He didn't break anything, but Alex would be sore in the morning. He felt a surge of pain through his already injured leg, and knew it would be on fire through the night and possibly the next morning. But...Lawrence couldn't possibly have known about that...He felt the tears stinging his eyes, much as he tried to brush them away. Now he was very confused.

Groaning, Alester clutched his side and winced painfully. -Alright, I get it! So what happens if one of us...dies?-

Lawrence ignored Alester and popped his head out of the window. "How are you feeling, boy?!"

"I...I'm not a child..." he said, breathing heavily, "I-I can take care of myself. But...why are you doing this to me?"

Alexander still looked quite stunned as he tried to pull himself to his feet, only to fall back down. Caeus would have been so very disappointed in him. Of course, Caeus would not have thrown him out a two-story window. He didn't understand why Lawrence had to go to the extreme he did. But he still trusted him. It would take a lot worse to break his spirit, even if it had almost broken his leg.

"Why don't you ask the assassin?" Lawrence turned to the assassin, "Come, let us go put young Alexander at ease." as Lawrence walked onto the city street, Briek would follow him.

Clenching his fists, Alester sighed and finally gave in. -I...I'll do what you ask. Just leave him alone.-

Lawrence smiled to himself, while Briek remained indifferent.

"Very well, lets go tend to your new friend, shall we... um, sorry, I didn't catch your name."

Walking past them, the"assassin" sheathed his blade. -Name's Alester. Alester Treshire.-

"Nice to meet you, sir. Ah, Alex, how are you doing my boy? This is Alester, he is going to help you."

As Lawrence said so, he had a gigantic grin on his face and an outstretched hand to help Alexander to his feet.
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:43 pm

The young Prince looked up at Lawrence with a strange expression when he asked if he was alright. It wasn't anger, suspicion, or even distrust. It was more like the expression of a child who had been slapped even though they felt they had done nothing wrong.

"I'm...fine," he whispered, still biting back tears.

His leg felt as if a river of fire was coursing through it, and explosions of pain rippled underneath the surface. He looked over at Alester with a sympathetic expression. He wondered if the assassin was feeling the same as he. He felt awkward being the tool through which Lawrence had inflicted Alester with pain. He wanted to be extra careful to save the unfortunate soul undue pain, but that looked already to be quite impossible. If the Knights were on his tail...he should expect much more pain than this...From what little Caeus told him of them, it had been clear that Alexander had been lucky to survive the first encounter. Only because Caeus had drawn half of them off and Alexander's steed had been trusty and his essence had decided to appear that time had he stood any chance. Caeus also said that worse than being killed by the Knights was being taken back to their commander alive. More than once Caeus had suggested that Skoll sought to use him as a puppet. And Skoll would use any method necessary, no matter how illegal or inhumane, to do it. Lost in his thoughts, he finally realized that Lawrence was offering a helping hand. It occurred to him that this might be a trick, but Lawrence already got what he wanted right? He took the offered hand but immediately nearly fell again. His leg wasn't going to support much weight. He stood rather awkwardly, all his weight on his good leg. He turned to the assassin when Lawrence introduced Alester.

"It's...a pleasure to meet you, Sir Alester, though I must apologize for these circumstances. Believe me when I say this wasn't my idea. But...I trust what Master Lawrence did was for the best. I don't think he'd tried to harm us," he said slowly, though he winced when he realized Lawrence had indeed harmed both of them already.

His fleeting thoughts caused him to wonder about the bond. Would Alester be able to sense his thoughts as well? Did Alester already know his secret, the secret of his heritage known only to Briek, Lawrence, and Caeus? Well...he'd have to divulge that information anyway soon enough, especially now that they were bonded.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Wings Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:52 pm

As much as she loved the witches' warm home and delicious food, Clytie, ever the wandering sort, soon began to feel restless. She wanted to explore the town she found herself in; for the first time since leaving Llyr she found herself wanting to do more than just survive new places, but to experience them. So great was her curiosity that it robbed her sleep that night, and eventually she could stand the cabin fever no more and she donned the warm cloak Mariel had given her, making quietly for the door and promising herself that she wouldn't go far.

She pulled her new cloak tightly around her as she wandered the moonlit streets, her breath puffing up in white tendrils before her mouth and nose. She soon discovered that this city did not sleep; several performers and tradesmen still lined the streets, their many-colored fires putting the place in an enchanted glow. A smile pulled up the corners of her mouth as she took in the spirit of the lake city, vibrant and beautiful.

It wasn't long before Clytie forgot her promise that she wouldn't wander too far, and she didn't know how long she'd been walking when she could hear the muffled sounds of a struggle. Her brow furrowing in confusion, she turned toward the voices just in time to see a boy get pushed from the second-story window of some inn. Clytie's hand flew to her mouth to cover a gasp, and she made to run for the boy and see if he was alright, but she hadn't taken four steps before she heard the voices of the other men calling down to him, and though she couldn't quite hear what they were saying, they sounded congenial enough. Still, she wasn't sure if she trusted their kind tones; they had, after all, just tossed a boy from a window.

She was deciding whether or not she should try to help the boy anyway when the men began making their way down to ground level, presumably to finish what they'd started on the boy. Clytie looked around frantically for a place to hide, choosing to crouch behind a nearby wooden crate and hoping that the men hadn't seen her, because if they had they might want to make sure she didn't talk to any authorities.
Rusty Wings
Rusty Wings
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Torturous Flame Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:28 am

Mariel smiled at Clytie, as did the other witches.

"We'll be staying for as long as I can take being in one place." Mariel said.

The other witches seemed to glance at her in a bit of what appeared to be a mix of confusion and apprehension. Witches, a very social group as a whole, generally get uneasy at the idea of being alone. Those witches who choose to live without a coven are often deemed a bit crazy and make other witches nervous. However the feeling quickly passed. Mariel finished her tea. The young witch went upstairs to settle herself in properly. Once she had she collected some vials and tucked them into her cloak. She left her bedroom, passing Clytie’s on the way out. She walked along the road and looked around at the festivities around her. She smiled to herself as she thought of the celebrations back home; they were nothing in comparison to this amazing city. Mariel, easily distracted as always, soon forgot that she had planned to collect some water samples that night. She soon had obtained a baked good from a vendor and was walking down one of the main streets, she laughed through her mouthful of dough at entertainers and such. The auras of magick danced in her mind’s eye as essence was used to create and sustain.

However her happiness did not last to long. The black waves of panicked energy rushed over Mariel, something that she’d yet to feel in this city. Outside its walls she was accustomed to a constant stream of panic and fear, but this city had yet to offer up much of those emotions. Mariel turned as she heard a scream. Immediately the young witch took off. She wasn’t far from the commotion so she was there fairly quickly. The burning itch in her gut that existed within every witch in the midst of pain burned hotter as she approached. She walked right up to the pair who stood below the window.

“What on earth are you doing, making this boy stand up in his state?!” The witch said.

Her voice had taken on a tone that reminded one of a scolding grandmother speaking to a child. She unceremoniously took Alex by the shoulders and sat him down on the cobblestone. Her large brown eyes examined the boy then looked up at the others.

“For The Mother’s sake, What did you do? Toss him out a window?” She scolded the others.

Mariel smiled at the boy who sat before her.

“I’m Mariel Verda-Ursa of the Flowering Cactus Coven. You don’t have anything broken, as far as I can tell. Not that a mild fracture isn’t out of the question." The witch said.
Torturous Flame
Torturous Flame
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Lawrence Dabu set his sea blue eyes on the ornery witch as she scolded him, then he let loose a jolly laugh, of course they threw him out of a window.

"Why of course we threw him out of a window," laughed the golden knight. He sighed, "But that's besides the point. I-"

Briek cut off his friend and began to whisper in his ear. It certainly must have been uncomfortable for Alexander, Lawrence acting so amused with the act. It was as if he threw princes out of tavern windows as a hobby.

"Ah, I see," said Lawrence

Briek nodded at the monster hunter before speaking.

"Mariel, I am Briek, this is Lawrence Dabu... no doubt you've heard of him and his order. There was a very good reason for what Lawrence did, but we mustn't lose anymore time with explanations and idle chatter. I'm going to put this bluntly Mariel... either you leave now, or you will be coming with us. As for you Alester, I'm more than certain you have no choice now. So, what say you?"

Alexander glanced over as a woman with russet eyes and similarly colored hair began scolding the men. As she sat him down, he gave a sigh of relief. Though the pain in his leg didn't subside at all, the weight and pressure was no longer on his other leg. When the woman smiled at him, introducing herself and giving him the welcome news that nothing was broken, the young Prince couldn't help but wonder if this was what it felt like to have a mother. He hadn't met many women, but Caeus had told him stories of his own mother. Mothers were people who took care of you and who worried about you. He had also heard about witches. They were good people who helped to care for the hurts of other. Looking into Mariel's eyes, he saw both mother and witch and a smile touched his own lips.

"T-thank you, Lady Mariel, for your concern," he said with heartfelt gratitude, "You are so kind. B-but don't worry, I think Master Lawrence had a good reason for it. I feel alright. Well...it's just my other leg. It's not broken, but it hurts like fire runs through it...I-I think it's cursed or something, but it'll go away so please...forget I said anything about it."

Mariel smiled a bit and glanced around the dissipating crowd.

"Drop the lady my dear, I ain't no lady. As for your leg, I'll look into it sometime. But this sounds like an adventure to me, I would love to come. However I would need a bit to round up the girl I've been travelin' with and tell my hosts that we're leavin. Though I'd assume I'd have that time, considerin it's still night time and leavin' the city at night would be dangerous." She said thoughtfully.

The witch rose to her feet.

"I betch'r little travelin party here could use a professional healer. Besides, somethin tells me this little'n is important. I can feel it in his essence. But anywho I gotta go get Clytie, this girl I found"

He looked ashamed that they had now heard about a weakness he hadn't revealed to the others. He knew nothing could be done for it, so why should he even mention it? It was a supposedly dreadful curse, the kind that could only be undone by the caster. It was usually cast when someone was already in pain, and it would cause the old injury to flare up at the worst times.

Alexander then looked up at Lawrence's words. He truly didn't understand the man now. Why...was he so amused about throwing him out the window? It still hurt somewhat, truthfully, because he had counted Lawrence as a friend and an ally. Why would the man take pleasure in the pain he had caused the boy? There had to be some reason for the man's actions, and he wanted to discover them. But now Briek was talking and asking Mariel to join them. He looked up hopefully at the young woman. She was so sweet and kind...so motherly. He would be extremely happy if she decided to join their merry group. He also turned when Briek spoke to Alester. He also hoped that Alester would come with them, and not just because it would save him pain. Now that they were bonded, he felt as if they were brothers. He had never had a brother before and he felt like it would be a good thing to have someone to watch his back.

----------
Shortly previous...

A man sat in a tavern with a grey cloak hanging over his rather large plate mail. On the table near his right forearm was an intimidating white helm. In his left hand was a steaming porcelain cup, filled to the brim with aromatic geen tea. The man inhaled the aromatic steam, its sweet aroma mingled with that of the rough drink of the tavern. Drunkards were aplenty, and strangely enough, the elite of the world enjoyed the nightlife of Angsbad as well. The man blinked, his face was covered in scars, one in particular garnered special attention. It was a diagonal swipe across his left eye, which resembled a pearl, betraying his handicap to those that cared to pay attention. Additionally, a large ugly scar was carved into his bottom lip, a simple line that extended to the bottom of his chin.

As the man surveyed the room with his one functional eye, he would notice a grotesque murder, an important Enolian official had been assassinated, and the perpetrator was on the run. The scarred man lightly placed his tea on the tavern table before exiting the said tavern. He navigated the city streets, just a few steps behind the incompetent city guard. As the guard began to pick up speed, he too started into a run. As he did so, he placed the white helm upon his head. He stopped just short of entering another tavern, a lower class establishment.

Everything happened so quick, but in all the ruckus, the white knight managed to spot a young, lean woman sneak behind the tavern. Shortly thereafter, there was a loud slap against the cobbleston road, and a congregation of people appeared outside. Yet still, the white knight stayed hidden in the dark, near the lean girl. A golden knight was visible, and then he saw it- the royal seal wrapped around the boy's neck. He slowly drew his sword, and as he did so a silver glint could be seen in the shadows...

Last edited by Artorius on Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Wings Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:41 pm

Clytie sat nervously as Mariel walked right up to the men and scolded them outright for what they'd done to the boy. She listened breathlessly to the introductions and the words "Either you leave now, or you will be coming with us."

Then she caught movement out of the corner of her eye and turned her head quickly in the direction she thought she'd seen it.

"Who's there?" she whispered as loudly as she dared, still not wanting the others to hear her. No answer. She squinted into the silence, hoping that a closer look would reveal a cat or some other small creature, but she could see nothing out of the ordinary. At least, until a glint of silver caught her eye, along with the low, whispering sound of a sword being unsheathed.

Clytie drew a breath to scream a warning to Mariel but before she could release it a gloved hand clamped down on her mouth and a cold blade touched her throat; he had moved with the speed and silence of a shadow, and Clytie realized with terror that she was dealing with someone very dangerous indeed.

"Make a sound and I'll see you never make another," he breathed into her ear. Clytie bit back a whimper and nodded, but the man didn't release her - better to be safe than sorry.
Rusty Wings
Rusty Wings
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by striDer Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:45 am

Upon exiting the inn, Alester noticed that yet another colorful personality had joined the party, not that he really cared, anyway. However, there was also something amiss in the air, something that he knew all too well: the smell of fear.

-Excuse me, gentlemen. Miss.- he addressed his companions -I have to tend to another matter. I'll be right back.-

Treading down the street, Alester disappeared around the corner. Moments later, as the assailant still held Clytie in his grasp, the cold steel of Alester's sword suddenly grazed the back of his neck.

-Unless that's a prostitute you're holding and this is your idea of a good time, please be so kind as to release the girl.

Surprised by Alester's sudden appearance, the man slowly released his hostage, dropped his sword on the ground, and raised both arms in the air. Apparently, Alester had gone around the buildings to sneak up on him after sensing Clytie's distress.

-Shame.- the man said with a rough voice, much to Alester's puzzlement.
-What's that?-
-Yeah.- the man replied, a grin drawn on his face -You're good. It's a pity you have to die.-

With lightning speed, the knight spun around and smacked Alester's sword away using his armored forearm. At the same time, he'd already kicked his sword back into his hand to brandish it with skillful mastery that matched or even surpassed Alester's own.

-Get away, girl!- Alester warned Clytie as the assailant managed to overcome his defenses and pierce him through the shoulder. Soon enough, Alexander would be feeling the pain of such wound as well.
striDer
striDer
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:31 pm

"I'm so glad you're going to join us, L...I mean, Mariel!" laughed Alexander, unaccustomed to dropping the honorific as Caeus had taught him, "But please, really, you don't have to worry about my leg. I'll manage."

Moments later, Alexander felt a stir in the air, an imbalance in the order of things, in a place that was supposedly a safe haven. The tranquility of nature was being invaded by the violence and brutality of humanity. Someone was in trouble...Someone was watching him...He looked down to see the glint of gold at his chest. Someone could have seen it! He quickly tucked the medallion underneath his cloak. Before he could act on his fears, Alester had already gone to check out something. Only moments later, his shoulder began to scream with pain and black spots swam over his vision. Never before had he felt such a terrible wound. Alester must have been injured! Ignoring all else, Alexander used little but strength of will to fight to his feet. The young Prince could feel that Alester was facing a tough opponent. He could sense his surprise at the skills of his assailant. If someone didn't get there in time, it could well be all over...for both of them...He broke into a sprint, ignoring the wave of dizziness that washed over his body. In moments he reached Alester and a man clothed in white armor. His soul shivered involuntarily with fear. One of the White Knights...They had followed him here! And now Alester was in trouble because of him...Alester and another young woman. He had to put a stop to this!

"Stay away from them!" he cried, eyes flashing with anger, "I'm the one you want. Leave them alone."

Alexander could feel essence begin to build, to rise within his body. Heat began to form around his body, a burst of flame appearing in his outstretched hand. As if of its own accord, the fireball sped towards the Knight with surprising speed and accuracy. It should have knocked him flat. It should have burned a hole through his armor and his black heart. Instead, the Knight turned around with surprising speed. A blackness much like the dark energy from the evil monks appeared, swallowing the fireball whole. Alexander's eyes widened in shock as the fireball came back towards him, now pulsing with dark energies. It took all his strength of will to hold back the terrifying magic, but it wasn't enough. The black fire burned through his hastily erected defense, striking his leg and bathing it in a terrible fire. He cried out in pain, but the essence was still with him as a spiral of water sought to cleanse the burning wound and dispel to the dark magic. Alex shuddered, knowing that Alester was feeling his pain. He felt terrible...Again he wondered why Lawrence had done this...Hadn't this made them both liabilities should the one be injured?

"Heh, it will take a lot more than your foolish magic to bring me down," the Knight grunted before turning back to face the wounded Alester.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:00 pm

"AAAAAAAAH!"

Briek let loose a war cry as he descended upon the White Knight. Steel met steel as his broadsword clanged against that of the knight. The tension between the two was so great that Briek's sword began to crack, being made of lesser steel. Soon enough the weaker blade shattered. Briek suffered a flesh wound, a deep cut on his right forearm as he tried to roll away. Yet, as soon as he was on his feet, the White Knight had sped to his side with yet another swipe, this last one directed at his head. Briek would surely have been decapitated, but Lawrence intervened. His blade glowed with a strange aura as he deflected the knight's blow. He giggled to himself and seemed to use a lot of effort saying, "Is that all you can do?"

Briek frowned, now was no time for laughs. The wanderer went to draw a dagger from his boot when a lightning quick fist landed square on his jaw, knocking him flat on his back. The white knight was too quick, but it seemed he moved only in the shadows. Briek hurriedly got to his feet and began to run towards the street lights, to no avail, the White Knight had tripped him by his ankle. In that split second, Lawrence attempted to cleave off the knight's hand, but he was far too quick for that. As a consequence, Lawrence nearly deprived Briek of a foot.

"Damn you!" yelled Lawrence in frustration.

Briek once again jumped to his feet. This time he barrel rolled in the direction of the rest of the party. Alester and Alexander were in extreme pain, Clytie was terrified, and Lawrence was frustrated. Meanwhile, the witch stood idly, preparing to attack. Briek had no weapons, and he didn't see how any of them could hope to come out of this alive. Just as he began to despair, the White Knight materialized a few feet away from his scrambling victims.

"Tsk, tsk tsk," mocked the White Knight, "I was hoping for a challenge. How about a deal then? You clearly are all weaker than I anticipated, although, I'll give that guy some credit," the knight pointed towards Alester. "He at least saved the damsel in distress. The deal is you give me the boy, NOW, or... I stop playing games and gut you all."

The knight's proposal was less than satisfactory. Briek gritted his teeth, there had to be some way to nullify the knight's speed. His thoughts moved faster than light as he formulated a clever plan. They had the numbers advantage, they had to utilize it. Briek figured if they could somehow illuminate the shadows, they'd be able to stand a chance. How unfortunate that Lawrence had injured a comrade and tossed him into a dark alley adjacent to the inn. There was a single lamp-post assigned to this dirty alley, and Briek did not see how they could invite more light into the alley. As Briek's plan was ripped to shreds, Lawrence Dabu appeared beside him, combat ready.

"Friend, live to fight another day. I can hold him off. Take the others and go."

Briek was quick with a response, "Surely you're joking?"

"Briek, if ever there was a time I was serious it's now. You and those sorry sods aren't ready for this. Frail children, a cheery witch, and a couple of wandering warriors are no match for a White Knight!"

"Lawrence, again, I ask you, is this some sort of sick joke?! We can take him, we just need some light."

"THERE IS NO GODDAMN LIGHT! Now get your asses out of here. Live to fight another day,
isn't that what you always said?" asked Lawrence

Briek swallowed and then turned toward the others.

"If you wish to stay I will not hold it against you, but there's a killer here. Alexander I cannot protect you from this man. Decide now!"

Briek yelled as Lawrence tried to keep the White Knight off the others. However, his quickness was too much. The White Knight swiftly knocked Briek to the ground once more and delivered an elbow to his diaphragm, knocking the oxygen out of his lungs. He raised his sword and prepared for the kill.
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Torturous Flame Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:55 am

From the ground rose vines with thick sharp thorns protruding from them. Anyone with magick in the area would feel a sudden surge go through the earth. Mariel's little hands were outstretched as her magic commanded the vines to choke the White Knight. The vines wrapped around the knight's hands and throat and pulled him backwards. Mariel's lips moved in an inaudible prayer of remorse for being forced to do harm.

"Mother Gaia of the earth, forgive me for harming one of your children, however to protect is my calling as one of your servants. Allow me this weapon"

When she finished her prayer she smiled grimly.

"I dun' think I need you lads protectin' me. Clytie m'dear if you'd get behind me please." Her sharp brown eyes glanced at her companion.

Mariel had begun to sweat as she was forced to call up more and more plants to hold the White Knight back as he ripped through them. On top of the magick leeching her energy she could feel, as always, the churning ache in her gut that told her someone was in need close by. Mariel did her best to ignore it. She reached around her back and pulled out the staff that was hooked to her backpack. Mariel twisted he grip to reveal the blades on either end.

"He's strong..." She growled through gritted teeth. "I can't hold'm for long."
Torturous Flame
Torturous Flame
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Wings Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:03 pm

Despite what her instincts told her to do, Clytie didn't leave immediately after being released out of fear for the man who had rescued her. Her fears turned out to be valid, as the White Knight immediately proved his prowess in the way he fought her savior. She was snapped from her paralysis by the man shouting at her to run, and she was forced to realize that if she didn't get away this poor man's efforts would be in vain.

She was just turning to run, however, when another voice cut through the air: "Stay away from them! I'm the one you want. Leave them alone."

Clytie turned back to see the boy who had been thrown from the window, a boy who couldn't have been much older than she was herself, and noticed with curiosity that he moved as though he, too, had been stabbed by the knight. Then she could feel the essence around her stirring, and knew that he was about to use magic. For that moment she dared to hope - he might be impossible to defeat with a blade, but surely magic was another thing entirely. Her hopes were soon dashed, and her face fell; this man was indestructible.

Two more men fell upon the White Knight and were treated as mere toys by the skilled fighter, who moved through the shadows like a wraith. Finally the knight offered his opponents an ultimatum: either they could give him the boy, or they would all die.

Clytie glanced fearfully at the boy, wondering why he was so important to this terrifying warrior. Whatever the reason for his being hunted by this man, Clytie pitied him. She found herself hoping he would get away, even if that meant she didn't. There was something about him that she couldn't quite put her finger on... almost like she had seen him before, even though she knew she hadn't.

One of the men told the older one to take the others and leave, meaning to hold the White Knight off on his own while they made their escape. While this plan wasn't ideal, the man called Briek eventually realized that it was all they had and turned to give them their choice; stay and probably be killed, or go with him.

In all of the commotion, Clytie had almost forgotten Mariel, but when the air around her once again filled with magic she turned to the little witch and watched in awe as she wrapped the knight in thorny vines. She succeeded in holding him off better than anyone had thus far, but Clytie could see that it would only be a matter of time before he broke free from her hold, as well. Clytie answered Mariel's calm call, scurrying to hide behind the kind witch, but once she did she pleaded worriedly with her, not wanting the witch that had so kindly taken her in to get hurt fighting this menace.

"Mariel, we should leave with the others - we can't fight this man as we are now, and I promise you that I won't stand by and let him hurt you," she assured the witch, solemnly drawing one of her combat knives to show that she wouldn't let her new friend fight this warrior alone.
Rusty Wings
Rusty Wings
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:18 pm

Alex looked up as Briek charged with a war cry. It was hard to tell what was happening as his vision was blurred with pain and fatigue. Even with all of Caeus' training, it hadn't prepared him for such reality. The bruises from the fall...his leg, now injured from both the ancient curse and the dark fireball...the feeling of Alester's pain. He vaguely saw Briek become bested by the much more agile Knight and even the powerful Golden Knight couldn't stand against the honed warrior. His heart quivered with fear when the White Knight's words cut through the fog around his brain like a knife. He knew the Knight wanted him...He also knew what surrender meant for Caeus had told him as much. He'd be taken back to the Regent. Skoll wouldn't pass up on an opportunity to further cement his rule with the true heir to the throne. The young Prince would be little more than a puppet at best...And if he refused to cooperate, he knew he would be killed...As these thoughts tumbled through his mind, Lawrence yelled for them to flee. Briek turned and said that this was a foe he could not protect the boy from. But before anyone could do anything, the White Knight knocked Briek back, intending to kill him.

"No!" shouted Alexander, his voice sounding thick and sluggish in his own ears.

But he could do nothing...Fortunately, Mariel's magic began to take effect at this time. Thorned vines swallowed the murderer. For a brief few seconds, Alexander thought the magic might hold, but the Knight was slowing tearing through the foliage. He wouldn't be held long. Alexander's glance turned to the girl who Alester had saved. Why did she seem somehow familiar? He shook the thought away. More things were at stake here. This couldn't go on. How did Lawrence expect them to escape anyway? The Knight was stronger, faster, and deadlier than their entire group combined, even with the forces of Essence at their disposal. But what had Briek said? Light...Light? Light! He struggled to focus, calling to the Essence, trying to coax it. He felt the familiar surge of energy, a burst of light that would be bright enough to illuminate the dark alleyway like day, if only for a few minutes. But his bruised and battered body could not handle the power and he collapsed once again. There had to be a way...Perhaps...he could surrender, buy himself at least some time, stop his friends from being hurt...Even if the plan failed and the White Knight took him, it would only be one person. The others would escape and they could carry out their important mission. He finally struggled to his feet, a weary expression of resignation on his young features. He only hoped the others would play along.

"Please...stop this," he cried imploringly, looking from his friends to the Knight, "No more of this senseless violence. I will go with you, though I don't understand what you wish of me. I will not see my friends suffer any longer."
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by striDer Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:00 pm

However, before Alex could say another word, Alester's knuckles clashed violently against the side of his face, sending him tumbling onto the pavement.

-You...- he growled at the young man, a fine string of blood running down his chin as a result of their bond and the harsh punch -You COWARD!!!-

Limping towards the knight, it was painfully obvious that Alester was having trouble standing. However, with each step he took, he regained his stance and strength.

-This pain I can take...- he stated, clutching his leg right were the burning sensation was worst -My shoulder too. But this feeling in my chest...this hopelessness you bring upon us, you can have it all to yourself, kid!-

Standing upright, Alester held his sword with both arms as he ignored the excruciating pain he felt.

-If we survive, know this: a man is worth nothing if he fails when he's most needed.-

With a deafening battle cry, Alester lunged himself at the knight and tackled him off Briek. Thereafter, both men struggled on the ground before getting back on their feet to exchange strikes with each other. Though the white knight was faster, Alester relied on his battle expertise to predict his opponent's next move and defend accordingly. Finally, the assassin would manage to slip through the enemy's defenses and graze the knight's cheek with the edge of his sword.

-So, you can bleed after all.- Alester remarked as both men gained distance from each other.
Wiping the blood from his cheek, the knight chuckled arrogantly.

-Impressive, but I'm done playing games with all of you.-

Within the blink of an eye, the white knight's armor turned black as it merged with the shadows around them.

-Game over, assassin.-

Almost as if he was part of darkness itself, the knight shifted to a spot right in front of Alester before slashing him right across the chest. Luckily, the assassin was wearing chain mail under his garments, so the wound wouldn't be lethal.

-Next time I'll claim your head.- cackled the knight, who seemed to disappear into the shadows again.
If things kept going as they were, Alester would stand no chance against the assailant...
striDer
striDer
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next