FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Special Objects

+2
YenWen
Crain_S
6 posters

Go down

Special Objects Empty Special Objects

Post by Crain_S Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:45 am

I would like to start a RP with loose similarities to the SciFi channel mini series "The Lost Room."

Premise of the story is that there is a collection of objects (exact number unknown) that have the ability to warp reality. For example, in the show there was a quarter that, when swallowed, brought a memory to life in full physical dimensions. There was also a bus ticket that, when touched, would sent the touch-er to a remote area in...i want to say Nebraska? Somewhere out of the way, is all that really matters. There was also the radio that made you grow two inches when tuned to the proper station.

Theories behind where these objects come from or what their ultimate purpose is will be part of the RP, because I think it would be interesting to see what people can come up with.

As for characters, this is modern "reality" so just humans would be present, but I think that there should be some items that grant abilities, such as levitation or invisibility.

My other thought that really got me excited was what if every player gets an object, but does not choose their own? I would have a list of items and a list of abilities, and you choose a number from each. For example, you would claim D 12, and your Object could turn out to be a shot glass that makes you bullet proof. If you chose C 12, it could be a bobby pin that would make you bullet proof. Choosing D 13 could be a shot glass that makes you have super hearing.

I would need a little help making up each list, and once a combo is claimed, it would no longer be available, so we don't have copies of abilities or Objects.

I think that the Objects should not have Apocalyptic ability, but they can get pretty potent. More powerful Objects should exact a price for using them.

There are basic ideas i had rolling around in my head, so let me know if you like the idea, if you would like it if something were altered, or whatever you want to make it work. I am open to suggestions!

Have a great night.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Special Objects Empty Re: Special Objects

Post by YenWen Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:21 pm

Oooh. I like this. But, what's the central conflict to be decided? Or is it to just be "work with it as you go".

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:23 pm

My original idea is that different groups/people have plans for the Objects, and they are trying to collect as many as possible. I was thinking we could settle on a more definite plot once it was certain that there were interested parties. Maybe using certain Objects together or in concert will have a potent effect, such as granting immortality, so a group wants those Objects, while another group thinks they can end the world (people are crazy, you know) if they get enough of the Objects together.

One thing I really liked about this concept is that the plot, the conflict and the climax can be completely different for different people and can occur at different times.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:51 pm

Another question. (I have a bad habit of this) When it comes to objects, have the characters always had them, or is it something they find/gain in the beginning?

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:15 am

An excellent question, and a good point as well. I think this should be completely up to the player. The very existence of the Objects could be mostly a secret, or a lesser-known fact/legend. So you could have an Object you found in the attic, or you could 'stumble' across one while walking to the corner market. It would make an excellent intro post for your character if you describe how you came into possession of the Object, or when you discover that it has abilities.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:35 pm

I want in! I saw the series too by the way, really liked it Smile
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:13 am

Sounds good! I am not sure how many characters we will need...Four, maybe? Talk to your friends here n the FOG, and try to drum up some more players. I will get started on lists of Objects and abilities to choose from. Let me know if you have any ideas for either list.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:51 am

Alrighty, will do Smile
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Aesalon Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:11 am

I am interested, though my time for the next month or so is fairly tight (more than two or three posts a week will be tough for me.) So if there is someone who would rather have my spot I can step aside.
Aesalon
Aesalon
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

http://www.fbnparanormal.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:06 am

Okay, got some ideas for some objects and some abilities:

• The Key - ability to unlock every lock
  • The Glasses - ability to look through walls
  • The Shoes - ability to run as fast as lightning
  • The Dictionary - ability to understand and read any language
  • The Clay - ability to shape shift
  • The Crystal Ball - ability to see into the past and future

Does that sound ok?
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:08 am

Hi, Shekinah! Thank you for the suggestions, and i will totally include these items in my lists, but for right now, abilities are not linked to Objects. It will be a random pairing of Object and ability, to give the game a little more depth.
I am thinking of guidelines to when the players can get new objects and even create their own, and i think i decided that at twenty posts (decent posts, that is) you can pick a new Object/ability and at fifty posts, you can create your own combo.
One thing I really want to stress is that I don't want Objects to have predictable abilities, Keys should have nothing to do with locks, glasses should have nothing to do with vision. The Sock might be able to keep food placed inside fresh indefinitely, while the Penny could make you Immune to illness/disease.
I am going for complete randomness.

I hope this makes sense...
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:17 am

I see, okay, got it!
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by YenWen Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:42 am

Hm... most of these items will be pocket-sized, then, right?

YenWen
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:19 pm

"Most" is a good word for it. Yes, most items will be small, common household items that you would find pretty much anywhere. There could be unique items, like a sword or fancy knife, that you would not find in just any home, but the real kicker needs to be that there is absolutely nothing special or unique about the appearance of these items.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:05 pm

OK, people. I am starting the two lists tonight for Objects and abilities and I need your help. I need as many objects as possible and a good number of Primary and secondary abilities. Primary abilities are from the Objects alone, Secondary from Objects when they are close together or used at the same time in the same vicinity. We will deal with what happens with three or more items used in concert when the time arrives.

You can post your suggestions for both lists in here, or send them in a private message. When making your suggestions, keep these things in mind:
1. Objects are commonplace. If you piled a bunch of them on a table, someone walking by would not take a second glance.
2. For the most part, Objects need to be easily portable. A hair brush is a plausible Object, while a weight machine is not. Once you can create your own Objects, they can be whatever you want, but for now, let's try to keep things fair.
3. Objects bend reality, they do not fracture or change it, so keep this in mind when suggesting Abilities. Altering gravity for levitation or 'telekinesis' is acceptable, but turning people into animals is not. Altering someone's appearance will be a trick of the light, so to speak, but their actual form will not change.

I will be creating the OOC thread soon, and there, you will choose your mystery Object and Ability. Thank you for your help in advance! Thank You
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by skull_mech Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:12 pm

Sounds interesting. Since we're going for randomness, may I suggest perhaps the objects of power could be a piece of trash like a fish bone or perhaps a piece of clothing like a pair of underwear? Make it unnoticeable and yet when noticed is something hard to steal without the feeling of being awkward.

Possible awkward scenario between husband and wife:

"Umm dear, what are you doing with your daughter's panties?".
"Honey... This will sound wrong and you'll think me crazy but if I wear this thing on my head, I can read people's mind!".
Awkward pause as their seven year old daughter walks by.
"I'm calling the cops...".
"Wait honey! Wait! I know what it looks like and trust me its not what it looks like. Just put that phone down and hear me out!".

:End of scenario

Perhaps items with larger powers have to be bigger in size? For example a closet with the ability to heal or transform the person in it into whatever he/she is thinking or perhaps a time traveling portal?

As for abilities and their secondary powers, here are some possibilities.

Combination A:
-Expands an object's mass
-High speed velocity

Results in :
-A gargantuan object destroying anything in its path. (Filled with skyscrapers, the city of new york is a perfect place to have a massive bowling ball game)

Combination B:
-Bullet-proof object

Results in :
-Massive bullet proof shield

Combination C:
-Creates a beam of light

Results in:
-Concentrated Light = Laser Beam

Combination D:
-Time travel
-Creates a beam of light

Results in:
-More than one person time traveling back into the past or future to any spot they wish. (Time travel allows you to travel back in time however with the help of the beam of light, you can time travel and travel half-war across the globe at the same time.)

OTHER Possible abilities(other than the ones already discussed above):
- Mute the sound of an object
- Megaphone (amplify sound)
- Ungravatize (nullify the power of gravity=)
- Beam of darkness
- Puppeteer (move an inanimate object like a puppet, i.e. a corpse)
- Binoculars (The power to see far clearly like an eagle or owl except far stronger than them)
- Converse with machines (To understand what problems a machine be it car of laptop is having and communicate with it)
- Multi-lingual (Speak through it and you will speak in another language. Listen through it and it will translate for you)

OTHER Possible items(other than the ones already mentioned above):
- Bottle of pills (The pills are the item of power. USed only when eaten, it has a limit to its number of uses)
- A roll of strings
- A headset/stereo system
- Sleeping masks
- Necklace Locket
- Tamaguchi (Handhelp digital pet)
- A hangar
- A pair of Tongs
- A scarf

skull_mech
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Some other possible items, aside from the ones I already mentioned:

* A wallet
* Shoes
* A letter
* A gum wrap
* A music box
* Scissors
* A pen
* Money
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:26 pm

First of all, thank you for your interest and input. I was a little worried that I had been abandoned.

Second, Skull_Mech, while i applaud your originality and creativeness...wearing your daughter's panties on your head seems a little too much like a misdemeanor to me. I have several of your Object/Ability ideas already written down, so yay for great minds thinking alike. The secondary powers are good, but not in the way you are applying them. Objects bend reality, so two Objects would bend the bent reality, making the result completely different from the original abilities.

Third, Objects are indestructible. So The pill Idea doesn't work, even though it can work in concert with another ability...for example, one of the Abilities is to enhance an attribute. What if how it accomplishes this is by producing a pill? You take the pill and a random attribute (strength, intelligence, etc) is greatly amplified. It will be up to whomever chooses that Ability.

Four: the Objects cannot be electric, because Objects in general are too old. Once people reach the point where they make their own items, It will be beyond my say, but for now, no electronics, including battery-powered.

Shekinah, I already had most of your items on my list! I did add Scissors, and the Music Box.

If you guys think of any more abilities, let me know!! We are pretty set on Objects, but I won't turn any good ones away.

Gonna start the OOC, so if someone knows how to create a hyper-link, please let me know.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Shekinah Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:21 am

Above the box in which you type your post are several 'buttons' to be seen. Like the one you have to click when you want to use bold letters (the black B) or the one with a yellow smiley for using a smiley. There's also one looking a little like a chain, the second left from the yellow smiley. Use that one for a hyper link Smile
Shekinah
Shekinah
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Special Objects Empty OOC set up (finally)

Post by Crain_S Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:58 am

Hey, Folks. If anyone is still interested, I finally had the time and words to write a little intro for the OOC section for the Object Chronicles.

The Object Chronicles

Please let me know what Object number and Ability letter you want so you can get your character and story ideas set up.

Objects are #1-#44 and Abilities are #A-#W

Good luck, and I hope you get a good set!
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by UnfortunateBountyHunter Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:29 pm

I'll join too. I know it's late in the interest stage but it looks really interesting, the other RP i was going to do got delayed so this will eat up my time until then.

Last edited by UnfortunateBountyHunter on Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : proofreading)

UnfortunateBountyHunter
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down