FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quote and Spoiler Boxes Missing [Fixed]

+4
Loki
Weiss
Gadreille
Kathryn Lacey
8 posters

Go down

Quote and Spoiler Boxes Missing [Fixed] Empty Quote and Spoiler Boxes Missing [Fixed]

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon May 10, 2010 12:54 am

Okay... The other day, I got on FoG, and I learned that quote boxes and spoiler boxes didn't show. Instead, it would simply say "So-and-So Said:" and have the quoted text without the box. Spoilers are also not hidden, but they announce that the text that shoulder be in a spoiler is indeed meant to be in a hidden spoiler box.

I wouldn't have worried about it, but it's been like... three days. I gave it some time, wondering if I was alone in this, and no one has said anything, so I'm assuming it could just be my computer's fault, but I'm not certain.

Has anyone else been having these issues?

Example:

Spoiler:

Kathryn Lacey wrote:Has anyone else been having these issues?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Quote and Spoiler Boxes Missing [Fixed] Empty Re: Quote and Spoiler Boxes Missing [Fixed]

Post by Gadreille Mon May 10, 2010 12:57 am

Been having lots of problems. Quick post reply box doesn't work, and page extends with nothing on it. Lots of links disappear when I try to click on them, mostly preview, post reply and send.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Quote and Spoiler Boxes Missing [Fixed] Empty Re: Quote and Spoiler Boxes Missing [Fixed]

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon May 10, 2010 1:01 am

My Quick Reply boxes seem to work fine... So did my preview... That's weird...

Is this a Forumotion thing?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon May 10, 2010 1:08 am

I don't know. It's on both my computers, so I know it isn't on my end. It's making posting very difficult, I'm about to give up for now...
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Mon May 10, 2010 3:08 am

The thing with the boxes is indeed a Forumotion thing. Most likely, they're trying to make quotes and spoilers more aesthetically pleasing by removing the graphic and simply incorporating the text equivalents into the style of the post itself. Not sure if you noticed, but if you click on the word "Spoiler" or the 'bar' following it in your post, it will hide the spoiler text as it's supposed to. The real problem there is that the default value is set to show the spoiler text, rather than to hide it. So, if someone wanted to avoid seeing what's in a spoiler, they would have to click it, rather than vice versa where they would have to click to see.

The issues Ryona mentioned, on the other hand, I'm not sure about. I've been having trouble with the loading times on some of the graphics lately, but I attributed that to the fact that my connection in my new abode is shaky compared to the reliable connection I had before. If anyone else reports these problems, I'll be sure to check into them, but for now I can only conclude that they're on the user side, rather than a Forumotion issue.

Also, if this posts properly, then it means that the Quick Reply box is working fine on my end.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Loki Mon May 10, 2010 3:28 am

I've noticed the Quote box and Spoiler (which I find the default value to be quite ironic), but nothing else seems to be out of order for me...
Loki
Loki
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Mon May 10, 2010 11:13 am

It is just the quote and spoiler boxes for me.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon May 10, 2010 1:02 pm

I guess it is a connection issue then, because both my laptop and desktop are suffering from this. I don't know what to do about it though, apart from refreshing the page over and over again until it randomly decides to work again.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 10, 2010 1:58 pm

I also only have the quotation and spoiler box errors. Everything else seems to be working just fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon May 10, 2010 3:04 pm

That's funny because in my opinion, I think it's more aesthetically pleasing to have the boxes around the text... or perhaps I simply find it to be more practical which in turn is more pleasing in my opinion.

Is there any way to fix this, or do we have to wait for Forumotion to realize they're in error?

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Mon May 10, 2010 4:28 pm

Since it's a change made by Forumotion, there's nothing to be done about it on our side. If they get enough negative feedback on it, they'll reverse the change. Otherwise, it's likely a permanent alteration. Honestly, if they would change the default value of the spoiler boxes, I'd have no issue with it.

It's also possible that this is simply an error with their coding that sprouted up because they were changing something completely separate all together, and that the quote boxes and spoiler windows will be back in a matter of time. We'll just have to wait and see. I'll check into the Forumotion forums sometime during the day.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Mon May 10, 2010 9:15 pm

Hmm scratch

I didn't even notice these errors until now, but now that you've pointed them out, this is really quite annoying. I'm on a school computer right now using Explorer, and originally, when this topic loaded, I saw the Quick Reply, but then it faded away and wouldn't let me type there. Also, the boxes are not showing for quotes/spoilers for me either.

If this is a Forumotion error, like Weiss suggested, hopefully it'll get sorted out automatically. I really am not the right person to figure out the coding, unfortunately. Sad
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Mon May 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Alright, I am attempting to post using the Quick Reply at the bottom. I am now home on using Firefox. The Quick Reply box hasn't disappeared here like it did using Explorer. (Ever since my computer got a virus though, I've been unable to use any browser except Firefox, so I'm unable to test Explorer using my own computer.) I think this could just be a problem with using Internet Explorer as your browser.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon May 10, 2010 10:29 pm

Well, my problem with the lack of boxes around spoilers and quotes is if someone uses a quote at the top of their post then proceeds to write a reply, a person can't easily distinguish between the two. For example:

Fate Foretold wrote:Alright, I am attempting to post using the Quick Reply at the bottom. I am now home on using Firefox. The Quick Reply box hasn't disappeared here like it did using Explorer. (Ever since my computer got a virus though, I've been unable to use any browser except Firefox, so I'm unable to test Explorer using my own computer.) I think this could just be a problem with using Internet Explorer as your browser.

That makes sense. I don't use Explorer, so that could explain why I haven't had that issue.

If I hadn't double spaced, it would have been even more difficult to tell the difference.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue May 11, 2010 9:54 pm

I do use explorer so I guess that is why it is happening to me. The page extending blankly is more annoying than the disappearing quick reply box...I hope it gets fixed because I'm having so much trouble with this it deters me from posting...
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Wed May 12, 2010 2:56 am

Well, I realize this comes off as more of an evasive action than a fix, but since this is something on Forumotion's side, and nothing that can be done by the administrators of the forums, it might be practical to download a different browser. Since it seems Firefox is working perfectly despite Internet Explorer's errors, I'd recommend using that one.

I mean, if you're being deterred from posting because of it, obviously it's pretty bad. If you have a valid way to get around it instead of suffering through it, might as well go for it, I'd think.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 12, 2010 3:42 am

It works perfectly in both Google chrome and Safari too. The ones I've been using the last few days. So it seems it's only IE that doesn't work. (Well there are more unknownish browsers that we haven't tested, but those are the big ones.)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed May 12, 2010 12:53 pm

I'll do some research on other web browsers, but I refuse to use firefox after what it did to our desktop.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Wed May 12, 2010 3:41 pm

What did it do to your desktop? I've never heard of any web browser having a negative impact on an OS itself. Unless there was a virus involved that simply masqueraded behind Firefox and caused issues with your system, I'm struck with curiosity as to what would make your resent it.

All the same, there are plenty of other options. While I'm not a huge fan of Opera because of its shaky stability with displaying web graphics and some other compatibility issues, I've seen no problems with Chrome or Safari, and I know numerous people who use them quite happily.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 12, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm not sure exactly what happened. It was probably a false update or something. But after I downloaded it, my computer was essentially inoperable because of the amount of virus it put on my computer. I would still use Firefox, but Ryona hates it anyway...so I'm out of luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Wed May 12, 2010 4:19 pm

Ah. Well, I guess that kind of experience can make someone wary. I've personally never had or heard of anyone having any serious problems with Firefox, and it's certainly the most universally compatible and user-friendly browser I've come across thus far. Like Dagger said, though, there are other browsers that will fit the bill, and I'm sure they're more than good enough to replace Internet Explorer.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu May 13, 2010 3:42 am

I use Firefox and Chrome. I like free quality. xD

However, the quote and spoiler boxes are still missing, on both these browsers. At least for me.

Is there some way to find some Forumotion forums and see if there are any current complaints and bugs that sound like our problem? (I suppose I could go check myself... so why don't I...? okay fine... 1 sec, guys. *goes*)

Seek and ye shall find! ^^
http://help.forumotion.com/script-code-problems-f43/only-topic-quote-function-not-functioning-t69724.htm

It is indeed a problem on their end, like Weiss said.
It's a general bug that is being worked on.
We'll just have to wait and see how it goes.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu May 13, 2010 10:41 am

Thanks for the information, Kalon.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Thu May 13, 2010 2:05 pm

Thank goodness it's just a bug and not something Forumotion thought would be wonderful.

Thanks for the information, Kalon.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by SpaceWheeler2.0 Fri May 14, 2010 5:58 pm

Spoiler and quote boxes came back... I guess they fixed the bug.
SpaceWheeler2.0
SpaceWheeler2.0
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Fri May 14, 2010 7:20 pm

Yes. It looks just like before.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 14, 2010 7:51 pm

Oh, thank you! Annoyances have disappeared!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri May 14, 2010 8:07 pm

Yay! I think this calls for a celebration!

At least a personal one. =3 I'm just incredibly happy about this.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri May 14, 2010 8:30 pm

Yay! I'm so glad this fixed itself. Very Happy *celebrates*
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down