FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Expressing Your Ideas Through Literature

+2
Kremlin
Ominous Flare
6 posters

Go down

Expressing Your Ideas Through Literature Empty Expressing Your Ideas Through Literature

Post by Ominous Flare Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:27 pm

I love expressing my ideas, tell the people what my world looks like. Telling people what the environment looks like, especially through writing, however, is not my idea of fun.

I write decently, I suppose, but I don't quite enjoy writing long-ended descriptive writing. That's why I always prefer a narrative, to tell the story, to share my thoughts, my feelings. My perspectives.

I love expressing my ideas, I just don't like working so hard to express it. It makes me quit halfway through, making me end up not having the chance to express my idea. What I got, in the end, instead, is a bunch of flowery descriptions.

What about you? Thoughts on this?
Ominous Flare
Ominous Flare
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Expressing Your Ideas Through Literature Empty Re: Expressing Your Ideas Through Literature

Post by Kremlin Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:30 am

I agree with your dislike of long descriptions. Superfluous descriptions of environment are my least favorite parts in books. And writing, in fact, I don't describe the environment beyond a bare minimum. Characters and actions are what make a story, and if a description of an environment is longer than two or three sentences, I start unintentionally skimming. I have a vague idea of what a grassy plain looks like, and unless every single blade of grass is somehow integral to the plot I'd prefer not to hear about them.

There are times when I think it's useful though, like describing a character's room or personal belongings. You can drop subtle hints about the character's personality this way, who or what they care about and so on. But it should be done with a purpose, if a character dresses a certain way for no other reason than the author thinks it looks cool, and they spend a paragraph describing it, I can get bored.

My biggest angst in trying to express my ideas is relatability (and for some reason firefox thinks relatability is not a word). Often I want to express ideas that are not popularly accepted, and if I want someone to understand how I'm portraying this, I have to consider what kind of viewpoint they are going to be viewing my words through. I feel like I cannot get a deep enough grasp of my fellow human beings so that I can appeal to their train of thought.
Kremlin
Kremlin
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Expressing Your Ideas Through Literature Empty Re: Expressing Your Ideas Through Literature

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:51 pm

I don't know, I think descriptions are often too rare in role-plays. Descriptions in books might be a little overdone or boring sometimes, but I think descriptions in role-plays are absolutely necessary, and the more the better. The more is described, the better people will be in the same place with their characters and respond accordingly. Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:09 pm

I tend to write more like you, Flare. I think both narrative and description are important. Books that start off with lengthy descriptions tend to bore me, but books that start with an action or dialouge immediately catch my attention.

It's mostly personal preference, I think.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:44 pm

I feel the same.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:30 pm

I guess that's why a lot of books have prologues, to give readers a sort of hook and pull them in. Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Descent Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:43 pm

Pardon my intrusion, but I think they need a little (or a lot) of both.

Descriptions, of anything, be it characters or items, environments or expressions, are one of my greatest loves as a writer. To craft a world in words so potent that it needs no effort to visualise on the reader's behalf is something very few writers can hope to achieve.

Description doesn't need to be long winded to be brilliant.

With such an eloquently crafted world at your fingertips, those ideas of yours, those perspectives of intellect and of heart will be all the easier for the reader to receive and to embrace.

A great writer understands the significance of balance.
Descent
Descent
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down