FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you read RPs you aren't involved in?

+4
Lara
Bird of Hermes
Gadreille
Sunwolf007
8 posters

Go down

Do you read RPs you aren't involved in? Empty Do you read RPs you aren't involved in?

Post by Sunwolf007 Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:20 pm

I was driving around the other day and got to thinking about who actually reads the RPs we write. I know that the people who write in the RP actually read them but I was wondering if anyone else does. So do you read RPs you don't write for or are involved in? I know that I don't unless I am thinking of joining the RP.

Last edited by Sunwolf007 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed a spelling error)
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Do you read RPs you aren't involved in? Empty Re: Do you read RPs you aren't involved in?

Post by Gadreille Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:25 pm

I read ones that I am involved in, and usually I read ones that Silvone is involved in but sometimes it is only his posts. That is because I am extremely interested in his writing Smile

Sometimes I read a post or two on new role players just to see what they are like.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Do you read RPs you aren't involved in? Empty Re: Do you read RPs you aren't involved in?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:31 pm

I don't typically read more than a post or two, just to get a feel of what the role-play is about. Sometimes I will read a players introduction post, if it seems long and interesting. That is the best way to get a feel of their writing, as subsequent posts usually don't surpass the first in quality (or quantity).

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:00 pm

It is mostly that way for me as well.

Sometimes, however, there may be a role-play that interests me that I did not have the chance to be involved in or could not for some reason or other, etc. I read those role-plays. I read every interest thread and, typically, introduction posts for other role-plays.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:03 pm

I usually don't, even though I would like to. It's hard for me to wait for a new post if I start reading a newly made RP, but the finished ones just seem so long. lol it's a bit of a conundrum.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:06 pm

Like Hermes, I read roleplays that I was potentially interested in joining but never got around to for one reason or another. The same goes for 1x1s. I generally stop reading them when I get bored, but me getting bored of a RP I'm not involved in is much better than me getting bored of one I am in.

There are a few RPs I'm currently reading even though I'm not in them. Food for thought. XD
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ethereal Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:45 am

I usually don't read RP's I'm not involved in but I do read some when I have nothing to do. How far I read depends on a few factors though...

~RP Title (if it's catchy, I'll read a few posts)
~Plot (if it intrigues me, I'll follow the RP)
~Characters Involved (given they have sheets up in the OOC)
~Introductory post length (too long and fluffy will kill my mood)
Ethereal
Ethereal
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:10 am

I generally don't read other people's roleplays. Not for lack of interest, but for lack of time. I would like to. I read everything I can get my hands on, and that's just the problem. Too busy reading and writing other things.

Maybe if I wasn't involved in any other roleplays and could finish a story when I start it, I would spend more time reading roleplays.
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:44 pm

I generally don't read role-plays unless I'm thinking of joining.

When that is the case, I read the whole thing from start to finish, and sometimes multiple times later on -- if the RP passes through a doldrums, for example.

As an In-Character mod, though, I do get to read some of the other role-plays. Not really in detail, but it's nice to see how people write.

I guess, if a role-play interests me enough to want to read it, I'll probably want to join it. Laughing
By the same token, if I read a role-play and get interested in it, I might then want to join, which would cause me to exceed my limit.

I guess this is another reason why I want so badly to finish some role-plays. If I actually finish them, then more people will want to read them. It's no fun to get all interested in a role-play and then have the story end. If it finishes, though, it can be put in forum halls of fame, and with a bit of editing it might even be good enough to be published somehow. ^^

So that's another thing that can hinder me from reading a role-play: fear that it might cut off in the middle. So if a role-play ever makes it to the end, I would definitely read that, I think. It's hard -- takes long-term commitment, which is difficult with multiple people living away from each other, with their own lives. It's like writing a book. The writer's block novelists experience is circumvented by RPing with multiple people, but RPing has its own challenges BECAUSE of having multiple people, so I guess it cancels out. In the end, a completed role-play is probably as great an accomplishment as a completed book -- if not more-so for its collaborative aspect.

If anyone can do it, it'll be us Foggers! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:58 pm

I never really read other people's RPs. It has happened, but not very often. I read through a finished RP once, the only finished one beside the one I was in that I've seen. But alas, that was on a Swedish site several years back and I think it's disappeared. D:

So, if finished and good, I'll read it, but as others have said I'm not interested in reading a half-finished story.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:13 pm

I tend to read other RPs occasionally, ones that I had been interested in joining but didn't get a chance to. And if I really enjoy a roleplay with a particular person, I'll go and read the other stuff they're in. But generally, if the topic hadn't interested me enough to want to write for it, I do not read it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:56 pm

I will sometimes read other RPs if the topic interests me and if it seems active. I won't read, say, a survival horror-type RP because I can't handle horror movies in real life (That said, I mean no offense to my fellow FOGgers who enjoy this genre. I just scare easily, so yeah... Sad ). But if I lurk around and find a RP that's getting multiple new posts a day and is a genre I enjoy, then I might give it a whirl and read it. I've actually read a few of the 1x1 RPs with a lot of posts and was left wanting more when I got to the end of the posts.

I echo Kalon's sentiments about finishing role-plays. I would love to see a bunch of RPs added to the Hall of Fame for all of FOG to enjoy. And my gosh, it would give such a great sense of accomplishment!

Oh yeah, before I forget...700 POSTS!!! I am now officially a Poltergeist! cheers
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down