FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Card Game RP idea

Go down

Card Game RP idea Empty Card Game RP idea

Post by Guest Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:55 am

Note: I got this idea from doing research for another one of my RPs while watching Yu-Gi-Oh! and Pokemon cartoon episodes.

I was just wondering if anyone was actually interested in this kind of RP. Naturally, it would take me a while make up all the information for the actual card game cause people that sign up for it will be required to actually set space aside in a room of their home to help play out their matches in the RP. The actually storyline of this kind of RP is still up in the air since I'm thinking of whether this idea is actually worth going through with.

I suppose since the storyline of the RP is still up in the air, I could express how I would like the card game to play out or at least some details of it. Do keep in mind that I don't have the means to provide pictures for every single card that will be used in the RP. I probably can fish up a couple hundred though and even then it will be difficult to continue finding pictures to use. At some point I will run out of material completely and that's where I'll probably need help. If this idea shows some initial interest I will bump it up on my priority list of RP projects to work on. Although, I might just make fake Fire Emblem portraits for each card instead to make things a little more simplified. I like making things simple cause it makes everything else more enjoyable. But even if I did make them it would be a lot of work cause that's like 150-250 portraits. I'm not sure if I have the patience for something like that but that's the whole point of this interest check to see if there would be any amount of interest before I go and make them. Some of the portraits I probably will use from some of my past RPs or have made for people. I feel that I can because I'm the maker of that work so I have rights to using it for whatever I want as long as I'm not breaking the copyright laws behind the company that made Fire Emblem.

For now, these are some key points of the actual card game rather than the story I have nothing on. Though, comments on potential story ideas would be great as well. I'm thinking this would be some kind of Steampunk or Cyberpunk RP with maybe a splash of fantasy adventure in it. But I'm certainly willing to make this more along the lines of some kind of ancient dark medieval RP of some kind.

• Main deck cannot contain no less than 40 cards and no more than 60
  • Side decks cannot contain more than 15 cards
  • Players start out with a hand of 5 cards, draw 1 card at the beginning of each of their Draw Phases of each of their turns
  • Creature cards of higher Attack Power destroy creatures of lower Attack Power that are in attack position and creatures of lower Defense Power that are in defense position
  • Both players start out with 1000 life points at the beginning of each match
  • A player loses if his or her life points is lowered to 0 points, their deck contains no more cards during their Draw Phase, or if a win condition effect is used by the opposing player
  • Cards do exactly what they say on them -- word for word
  • Infinite loops are allowed
  • There are several types of cards: Creature, Spell, Ambush, item, and Fusion
  • There are 6 game phases: Draw Phase, Standby Phase, Main Phase 1, Battle Phase, Main Phase 2, and End Phase
  • A complete but very simple structuring of each type of Creature, Spell, Ambush, Item, and Fusion card
  • Creatures have 1 of 6 Alignment Elements: Fire, Frost, Nature, Holy, Shadow, or Arcane
  • Spell and Ambush cards have 5 levels of Speed Score
  • The Battle Phase is broken up into steps or sub-phases: Start Step, Battle Step, Damage Step, End Step

There are more things I could have mentioned, but I didn't want to overwhelm everyone that's interested. It would play out kind of like Yu-Gi-Oh! (which I played for 5 years but quit around 2005 for personal reasons), will have a feeling kind of like Pokemon, and some RPG elements as well with the Item Cards.

I'm thinking since this card game would be a major part of the RP's story, I'm thinking it could be linked to some sort of sport or spectral, like Roman Gladiators, but through the use of technological means or sorcery methods. I just thought it would be kind of cool to RP something like this and it was an idea of mine that kind of just.. collected dust in the back of my mind. I haven't quiet given this RP a name yet or anything of the sort but I do know it would be either Steampunk, Cyberpunk, or dark medieval type of RP.

So if anyone is actually interested in this then please speak up. We can discuss a potential storyline, possibly game mechanics in greater detail, and maybe even card ideas as well. Keep in mind that card ideas must be simple. I don't want people to have to read a paragraph of crap just to understand what the damn thing does. That was one of the reasons why I quit playing Yu-Gi-Oh! all those years ago cause I got tired of going to Regional Tournaments and make rulings on situations that had a flawed official ruling on. It was heart breaking to see such a fun game get ran through the mud with horrible official rulings. At least with this RP's card game it won't be at all close to that problem. In fact, it takes the same approach Pokemon TCG and Magic The Gathering take with ruling calls: if the card says something, that's what it does. I like that cause it reduces the amount of confusion in ruling calls for judges and those are the people that actually game the TCGs backbone during competitive tournament play.

I'm figuring that this RP could start with 2 or 3 people and have no more than 6 to 8. I do want people to place effort into their posts. I don't want to say people on FOG half-ass on their posts, but I do want to notice the effort through extensive proofreading of their writing. I can tell immediately when someone has proofread their post a couple times from someone who hasn't.

Now, I do plan on incorporating a lot of different cards and effects into the game. Creature cards will not contain a lot of effects at first and I think through the a lot of effort on my part and many hours in Photoshop, I will be able to produce some quality cards. I'm thinking 150 portraits is pretty good. They won't all be Creature cards so the main task will be working on Spell, Ambush, and Item cards. Fusion cards are just another type of Creature card so that will be helpful to a great length in reducing the number of techniques I'll need to research up on and get to work.

Other things I plan on incorporating are complicated strategies as well as quick and fast "one, two" hits as well. The point is to make more complicated combinations of cards benefit more for the player using it than those tiny combos but the flip-side to this is that multiple tiny combos can add up quickly for a more controlled result but the complicated combo can be a heavy blow to an opponent of even beat the person.

Right now I'm just looking for interest in this idea. Whether I get a lot of initial interest or not, I probably will go through with this RP idea at some point in time. I just have to make the portraits and that will take quiet a bit of time. If I get help, then things will move by a lot faster. Keep in mind that you don't need any prior knowledge in any card game at all to enjoy this. I actual prefer people that have zero experience with them to show interest in this. I think it would be a lot more enjoyable that way for everyone around the table.

Back to top Go down