FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have an ovarian cyst, FOG.

+6
Kathryn Lacey
ImmortalSin
Kalon Ordona II
Gadreille
Fate Flyer
Ms. Night Surgeon
10 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I have an ovarian cyst, FOG. Empty I have an ovarian cyst, FOG.

Post by Ms. Night Surgeon Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:43 am

I`ve named it Marla, and I just thought I should tell you that. ^^
Ms. Night Surgeon
Ms. Night Surgeon
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

I have an ovarian cyst, FOG. Empty Re: I have an ovarian cyst, FOG.

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:56 pm

XD

Wow, it's crazy you have one too! At least you know what it is. You know what? I am still dealing with paperwork and bills from my ovarian cysts.

Waaaay back in March of this year, in the middle of the night, I woke up to this excruciating pain in my abdomen. I couldn't move, I couldn't breathe -- I was just in complete pain. Tony/Axiom (my fiancé) didn't know what to do for me. It was so bad though, that he drove me to the emergency clinic down the street, only to find out that it was closed. I decided to just tough it out though and go to the doctor in the morning.

So, the next day came, and I went to the doctor. All I did was explain to him what happened and how bad the pain was. (By then, the pain was only mild, thankfully.) He immediately sent me to the emergency room at the hospital, thinking that it could be something very serious (such as appendicitis). Well, I later came to find out that this doctor visit, which only consisted of him telling me to go to the hospital, costed $1,000!!!

Well, I went to the hospital, and they performed all kinds of tests on me. They even used "the duck" which, ladies, you'll recognize from your ovarian tests (which I just so happened to forget the name of right now). I even got a cat scan and an ultrasound (like what they do for pregnant women). Well, those are some of the most expensive tests in the hospital, but they checked beforehand to make sure that my insurance would cover it, and it was supposed to. Well, it didn't -- or at least, they were trying to get out of paying for it FOR 5 MONTHS! (Only recently were my parents able to get them to pay, finally, after having had to deal with a mountain of paperwork, which is good, sine the hospital bill was $13,000!!!)

So, after all these tests and all this worry, one of the nurses comes over to me and says, "You have ovarian cysts, and the pain that you experienced was from one of them bursting. There's nothing that can be done about it though, so we're just going to write you a prescription for some pain meds." >.< I was like 'Are you kidding me, lady?' Ugh.

I guess ovarian cysts are really common among women though, and I was not aware of that at all. I still had more ovarian cysts that they could see in there, which they said may either disappear on their own or burst like the first one did. D:
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:00 pm

I used to get those when I was a kid (14-16). It was awful...had to go to the emergency room as well. They put me on birth control to fix it, and I haven't had them since (though I've...obviously...been off birth control)
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:09 pm

I feel like I've stepped into Forbidden Female-Land. Shocked
Those sound painful. Sad
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:45 pm

I was actually in hospital a few weeks ago because of one of those bursting. They thought the pain was due to me having appendicitis, but thankfully the pain started to subside after about 3-4 hours and they decided not to operate. Unfortunately my doctor said I could have the same problem each month, but it could also not happen again for years.

Either way, they're no fun and I'm sorry to hear about yours. Hug
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Night Surgeon Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:58 pm

Gah! That sucks! I didn`t realize they were this common. D: Well I feel alittle better now, I suppose. >w<
Ms. Night Surgeon
Ms. Night Surgeon
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:25 pm

I guess they are common, I didn't know either. All I know is that I passed out, crumpled into fetal position for a day and a half Sad
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:29 pm

Oh, wow, yeah. Sad It's crazy that it's so common and that some of us here have already experienced them! I was never taught anything about them, nor did I hear about ovarian cysts before I had them. I think it should probably be more well known than it is. If it was, I probably never would have gone to the doctor's and the hospital's in the first place.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Night Surgeon Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:46 pm

Ugh... Well my mom used to get them, so I was always told I might get them, but yeah. I woke up and was in paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaain so I got someone to drive to the hospital and the did I bunch of tests and were like "Oh hai you have a cyst :/"

And now I`m paying for it all out of pocket. If I had known they weren`t going to do anything about it I would have just taken some pain meds and stayed home. I can`t even take birth control because most of the shit out there would be really hard on my kidneys... D: Fml.
Ms. Night Surgeon
Ms. Night Surgeon
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:39 am

Well, at least the other females who frequent FOG can read this and perhaps not make the same mistake Smile

Of course, there is always the chance that they will think: "Oh, its just an ovarian cyst bursting, nothing to worry about!" and then it happens to be something far worse...

Back to top Go down

Post by ImmortalSin Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:14 am

Silvone Elestahr wrote:Well, at least the other females who frequent FOG can read this and perhaps not make the same mistake Smile

Of course, there is always the chance that they will think: "Oh, its just an ovarian cyst bursting, nothing to worry about!" and then it happens to be something far worse...

See, that's the really big problem for people that do know about them. You could experience the pain again and put it down to a cyst when it really could be appendicitis or something worse. It's also very annoying too because they advise you to go back to hospital just in case.

But I do agree with you all, it should be more well known. Even though there's not a lot you can do anyway. If they want to burst they will. I was on birth control when it happened as well (namely for the acne I used to have) and it didn't seem to help.
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:05 am

As long as you are 100% about knowing that your insurance will cover your hospital expenses, I think going to the hospital is the right kind of precaution.

My insurance that I just switched to is through my school, and they're just a small insurance company, so of course they were going to try and weasel their way out of paying for these huge expenses. Like I said, the tests they need to perform on you are some of the most expensive ones that are done in the hospital, so you definitely don't want to end up paying the full $13,000 that I was charged, which they originally said they'd only have to pay $300 of. Doh That made no sense, since I would have saved money by not paying for insurance each month with the amount they had agreed to pay initially. Thank goodness my parents we able to get them to cooperate after such a long and tiring struggle.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ms. Night Surgeon Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:11 pm

Meanies... D: Least you got everything squared away though! Very Happy
Ms. Night Surgeon
Ms. Night Surgeon
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:17 pm

My mom used to get ovarian cysts on occasion, but I've never had one. I've been really lucky. Then again, if birth control is said to help sometimes, I've been using the Nuva Ring since I was sixteen, so maybe that helped a bit. ^^_^^

I hate when insurance doesn't cover what they say they'll cover. I remember when I was getting all of these STD tests done before Jonathan came to visit, my insurance covered everything with the exception of the two herpes tests. Right before they took my blood for the tests, they were like, "We just looked, and your insurance said it will cover this!" I got two bills in the mail that added up to over two hundred dollars that said my insurance crapped out on me. Bleh...

Anyway, yeah. I hope if I ever have the misfortune of getting an ovarian cyst that my insurance covers the tests for it.

I think maybe it's a good thing that women know about ovarian cysts because if they're sent to the emergency room, they can mention it and maybe have the doctors test for that issue first instead of running tons of tests without any clear idea of what could be the problem. =3

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:45 pm

Yeah, I'm glad that we were able to at last work everything out. *wipes brow in relief!*

Ugh, that sounds familiar, Kathryn. Sad That's too bad. I don't know how that happens! If your insurance is supposed to cover something, and they say you're covered, then I don't think it's fair that you had to pay out of your own pocket. *hugs* I'm sorry.

Yeah, I definitely agree there. Just being aware can be a big help.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Anemone Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:12 pm

I think I've been one of the lucky ones....

I mean... I have had them... but they didn't burst.... They were actually found during a series of tests I had done on me a while back. Cancer tests, of all sorts to be exact, it runs in the family. Well, at least I was told I could have them. Its been a while, and I was half asleep, but I do remember them being mentioned.

God... its a miracle that Canada has free healthcare.
Anemone
Anemone
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:57 pm

I've never had on ovarian cyst, but endometriosis runs heavily on my maternal side of the family and I'm sure I'll get it eventually. I was lucky not to have it after having CJ, but I could still get it if I get pregnant again. D:

I feel bad for you ladies that have had one burst. I'm sure it hurts like hell. >__<

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Shocked

The title and first post was actually amusing to me; that someone could actually incorporate humor into their misery. But after reading further down I realized, much like Kalon, that I stepped into the wrong thread. >.<

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:02 am

I've never had an ovarian cyst, but over the weekend I was on a camping trip with one of my classes, and one of the girls had a cyst burst. We were three hours away from campus having lunch when it happened. She told us she was in pain but luckily had her pain meds with her, and she was fine after she took them. But wow, I felt really bad for her. Of all the times for one to burst, it was during a camping trip when we were away from the comforts of home (aka college).
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Edon Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:12 am

DJ Agenda wrote:Shocked

The title and first post was actually amusing to me; that someone could actually incorporate humor into their misery. But after reading further down I realized, much like Kalon, that I stepped into the wrong thread. >.<

We should make a thread about... manly.. things like...

... I don't know o_o

Buuuutt yeah... x2 on that one. x_x
Edon
Edon
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:38 am

You could talk about things that harm your prostate. Women don't have those, after all. ^o_~^

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:18 am

Oh, man, Silvan. This seems like it's soooo incredibly common! Us poor, poor girls! Sad It's good she brough pain meds with her at least. That'd be awful...

Ugh. Well, I just experienced another bursting cyst last night. I always was afraid of it happening while I was in class, but I never actually thought it'd really happen. I am in class more now than I'm not, it seems, so it does seem likely I suppose.

I was in my night class just last night, and as I was getting up to leave when it was over, a terrible, excruciating pain erupted inside me and I immediately sat back down. I looked at Jen, the girl sitting next to me, and explained to her that, "Oh-my-God, my ovarian cyst just burst!" I wasn't even aware that I still had ovarian cysts, but throughout class, I kept getting odd sensations, like I was on my period. You girls know that feeling? It was kind of painful, but I think when I stood up is when it burst, and then the pain just skyrocketed, and I couldn't move. I started tearing up immediately and was freaking out, not knowing what to do. I needed to get home and just lie down, but I couldn't stand! Nobody seemed to notice, since we were in a dark computer room, but Jen ran and got me some toilet paper to wipe my face off with. She then researched what pain meds to take, and she looked in her bag and found some Midol for me. Midol has a lot more mg in it than normal pain meds, and she gave me two, so that eventually dulled the pain.

I finally forced myself to get up and leave, but it was a little embarrassing...
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:57 am

Oh wow, Fate, I'm so sorry that happened to you last night *hugs*. I'm just glad that girl Jen was there for you and had some pain meds that you could take.

Though I must admit, this thread has been very informative for me. I'd heard of ovarian cysts, but I just figured they were rare and that I didn't need to worry about them. Now it seems they are more common than I thought, and if I get one, I'll have a better idea of what symptoms to look for.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:22 am

Aw *hugs* thanks, Silvone. I was so, so lucky that she was there. I don't know what I would have done otherwise. It still hurts some today, but not nearly as bad. I just really hope I don't have any more of the nasty suckers burst on me.

I'm really glad that we have this thread, since, like you said, it's extremely informative. I really think now that a lot more girls need to know about this and be aware that it could happen to them. Someone else I know, I just found out, had an ovarian cyst explode on her too, and she said it was the worst pain she has experienced. It's surprising to see how many women have this happen to them. Oh, and actually, my fiancé/Axiom's mom was just talking to him a few days ago, and she told him that she even once had an ovarian cyst burst on her, and she told him that it was more painful than giving birth! I wouldn't be surprised if she had multiple cysts burst on her all at once.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:54 am

I didn't realize how common ovarian cysts are, but I suppose we all learn something new every day.

I'm not sure what else to say, except that...well, men have it kind of easy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Anemone Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:56 pm

Wow... Fate... just... wow...

*hugs*

What causes these cysts anyway? It can't be a natural flaw in the female body....
Anemone
Anemone
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:52 pm

Women normally have two ovaries that store and release eggs. Each ovary is about the size of a walnut, and one ovary is located on each side of the uterus. One ovary produces one egg each month, and this process starts a woman's monthly menstrual cycle. The egg is enclosed in a sac called a follicle. An egg grows inside the ovary until estrogen (a hormone), signals the uterus to prepare itself for the egg. In turn, the uterus begins to thicken itself and prepare for pregnancy. This cycle occurs each month and usually ends when the egg is not fertilized. All contents of the uterus are then expelled if the egg is not fertilized. This is called a menstrual period.

In an ultrasound image, ovarian cysts resemble bubbles. The cyst contains only fluid and is surrounded by a very thin wall. This kind of cyst is also called a functional cyst, or simple cyst. If a follicle fails to rupture and release the egg, the fluid remains and can form a cyst in the ovary. This usually affects one of the ovaries. Small cysts (smaller than one-half inch) may be present in a normal ovary while follicles are being formed.

From this source

I remember how horrible the pain was. It lasted for days...I think the difference between the pain of a cyst and the pain of giving birth is that contractions give you breaks. You can work through them. You can feel when they start, when they peak, and when they let up, and then you've got a break anywhere from 5 minutes to one minute, but at least it is a break. You also know that you are progressing toward something, rather than feeling excruciating pain for no reason at all.

With cysts, the pain doesn't let up. It doesn't come in waves like contractions. So while contractions post water breaking hurt a lot worse than ovarian cysts (in my case at least) overall, I was in more misery with the cyst.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:55 pm

Nevermind...
Ryona beat me to it.
lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:23 pm

Anaris wrote:Nevermind...
Ryona beat me to it.
lol

Aw sorry Razz You should post up your thoughts anyway!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:35 pm

Fate, I'm really sorry that happened to you. I think I'm going to buy some Midol and keep it in my purse in case something like this ever happens to me or someone else. I'm glad that I know about it.

Ugh... I do know how it feels to start my period. I feel it every, single time, but I often feel that way a couple days before I start my period, too, due to the discharge. I have no idea why I'm so sensitive that I can always feel it. I've heard that most women really aren't all that aware when they start theirs. I actually consider myself lucky because that means I'm not going to just sit around, bleeding all over the place before I realize wtf is happening. XD

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum