FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sci-Fi

+3
Fate Flyer
Lara
Ehoron
7 posters

Go down

Sci-Fi Empty Sci-Fi

Post by Ehoron Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:10 pm

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away...

Space... The Final Frontier.

All this has happened before, and will happen again.

We all have our favorite Sci-Fi shows, things that made us look up at the stars and dream of what's out there. Star Wars, Star Trek, Stargate, Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Farscape, and so many more.

Me, I love Star Wars, love Star Trek, LOVE Battlestar Galactica, and absolutely adore Firefly/Serenity. I've seen all the Star Wars movies, all the Star Trek movies, all of TNG, Voyager, DS9, and Enterprise, most of the Reimaged BSG, and all of the Firefly episodes and Serenity. I wouldn't be the techno geek I am today without them.
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Sci-Fi Empty Re: Sci-Fi

Post by Lara Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:38 pm

I am a Star Wars geek, and am proud of it. Very Happy I might not be the type of fan who can recite insane bits of information about the movies, but I am the type that dresses up as a Jedi at least bi-annually and runs around waving my lightsaber. Wink

I spent a good portion of my childhood trying to save up for one of those 'official' lightsabers, but I was sorely disappointed upon seeing one in stores. If it had retracted, I probably would have bought it.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:40 pm

Eh.... I prefer to spend my money on a Parks Lightsaber. Sure, it doesn't retract and doesn't make sounds, but it lights up fabulously and is next to impossible to break, which is great for a guy like me. lol!
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:51 pm

I don't care much for the sounds, but I would rather have one that retracted somehow, so it was easier to store.

However, I think I saw some of those Parks lightsabers in action once! I was at a convention, and a group of people with them put on a live-action show, doing actual battles with each other. It was amazing.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:29 pm

I will admit it...
I <3 Star Trek.
I used to watch it all the time with my Dad.
[whom I miss terribly]

I also love Star Wars...but I've never dressed up or bought a light saber.

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:42 pm

*cheers for sci-fi* ^^

I've always been a Star Wars fan (though it helped having an uncle who was, and still is, obsessed with it, to the point where he collects things still xD). I was one of those people that actually enjoyed the newer movies too, even the 1st Episode. In fact, I loved the Gungans. I think judging an entire race based on one individual is racist. ;P lol But yeah, played Star Wars Galaxies, and am desperately awaiting the new MMO -- Star Wars: The Old Republic! Very Happy

I, sadly, have not watched Star Trek before, but I did see the most recent movie, and I absolutely loved it! I really want to see it again. It was amazing! Smile

Firefly was such a good show, and Serenity was a good wrap-up. I fell in love with it, but then again, anything Joss Whedon does is worthy of my love. ^_~ River was epic!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:02 pm

Oh Sci Fi, you great entertainer and shameful reminder of the future I may never get to see. *sigh* Anyways, of course I was a Star Wars fan as a kid, who wasn't. I never watched Star Trek though, I saw a few movies but not much of the show. Loved the new movie though. I thought it was one of the better movies this summer.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowPhoenix0307 Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:37 pm

So, I know Start Wars, love the movies. I'm steadily learning Start Trek due to my obsessed boyfriend who can quote nearly any line from any episode. So I don't have much of a choice.

But my all time favorite Sci-fi show that I know inside out and backwards is Stargate SG-1, Atlantis and I'm thrilled for when Universe comes out! Love them and I really wanna save my money and buy ever freaking series/movie made. Love it.
ShadowPhoenix0307
ShadowPhoenix0307
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehoron Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:40 pm

Yes! -high fives Shadow- I absolutely love SG-1. Atlantis really grew to have a nice spot in my heart, and I am equally excited about SGU.

Jack O'Neil was/is my absolute favorite SG character. Teal'c, Daniel, Carter, Mitchell, and Vala all tie for second.
Ehoron
Ehoron
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ShadowPhoenix0307 Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:49 pm

From SG-1 I loved O'Neil, Teal'c, Jackson and Carter. Each wonderful characters. I was not to fond of Vala, she was bleh.

Atlantis on the other hand, was great as well. Sheppard, McKay, Ronon and Teyla. Although we Carson died I cried... Sad He grew on me as well...

Of all the bad guys I liked the Wraith the best. The Goa'uld got old after a little, good but little insects that possess a body makes my skin crawl. Then the Ori which became very religious. Nonetheless, loved every episode.
ShadowPhoenix0307
ShadowPhoenix0307
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzwulf Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:10 pm

Well, that's all well and good, but what about some sci-fi books? anyone here read the Ender classics? I loved Battlestar Galactica just as much a the next guy, but maybe we can insert some Asimov into the conversation here?
Buzzwulf
Buzzwulf
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:21 pm

My first ever sci-fi experience was with the Aliens movies... you know, the ones before the 2004 movie that BUTCHERED it and the Predator franchise. Also loved the Predator movies, their culture on the hunt and honor, gory glory and clan supremacy. It simply opened the way for me.

Star Wars was next. It was rainbows compared to the brutality of the Alien and Predator franchise, but it was still awesome.

I never really got into the sci-fi series, but movies that followed - whether animated or realistic - absolutely intrigued me, including Independence Day, Titan A.I., Signs, and a variety of other movies I can't hardly remember.

And, of course, it eventually led to the inevitable... I created my own sci-fi world.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://adriusfrostglare.deviantart.com/  (Deviant Art profile)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:31 pm

I've always been a fan of Star Wars. I saw most of the Star Trek movies, and loved the latest one. Aliens was always great, though its been so long since I watched them that i can't really remember them that well.

As far as books go, I've read quite a lot of Star Wars (New Jedi Order up to Fate of the Jedi). I've read a few of the older books, but not much. Sadly, I haven't touched the original novels. When I will read those I have no idea.
My favoritest sci-fi author would have to be Stephen Baxter, in his Xeelee Sequence. That man is absolutely amazing. Another work of his I enjoyed, the not quite as much sci-fi, was Evolution.
I absolutely loved the Space Odyssey series, and I hope to soon read the Foundation series. Oh, and the Rama series (rendezvous with Rama, Rama II, Garden of Rama, and Rama Revealed). While hard to read, they gave me some great ideas!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lara Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:21 pm

I've read almost all of the Star Wars books at some point or another. Smile I'm working on owning all of them. My count's somewhere around 74.

Aside from that, I never really got into science fiction novels... I'm really not that sure why.
Lara
Lara
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Buzzwulf Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:41 am

I remember as far as sci-fi books go, I was a really big fan of the Ender series for a while, until it simply got sort of boring. I finished it, but it was just sort of painful towards the end. Then the whole "shadow" series began and renewed my faith.

When I was a kid, I pretty much started with Ender's game, and then moved to Wells (Which I can't stand anymore. Something about his writing just bothers me.), and quickly to Asimov. I loved that guy for the reasons that pretty much everyone gives when ranting about Asimov: he's inventive, humans ain't always in the right, and he just generally had awesome ideas.

Then I watched Star wars. To tell the truth, it kind of bothered me. The first movie I saw was Return of the Jedi, and the Ewoks just sort of threw me. I was beginning to be sucked into the world, and then I suddenly realized that it was ridiculous. I think that's when I fell into the realism trap of sci-fi. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love some of that old stuff, or some of the things that are just utterly ridiculous nowadays (radioactive spiders spring to mind), but an explanation for why something works, even a crappy one, gets me every time. Goddamn Star Wars.

Anyway, I quickly moved on to Battlestar Galactica and started playing some old computer games, mainly Starcraft and something called Total Annihilation. If you've heard of it, I'm proud of you. If you downloaded the Absolute Annihilation patch, I'm even more proud. I quickly realized that not everything in the expansive universe was perfect, so i kinda stopped worrying about it for a while.

It wasn't very long until I returned to my books. Right now, I'm kind of happy with the Coldfire trilogy, by C.S. Friedman. Yes, it has just about every single cliched dichotomy that you can think of, but it's also a really clever idea, and it's got a really interesting premise. Plus it's so far in the future tat it might as well be fantasy, which I find incredibly intriguing for some reason. Also, Dune is awesome.

Oh, and I made a sci-fi interest topic, if you want to check it out. it's in the RP ideas for serious RPs. I Figured I might as well mention that while I'm yelling about everything else here. Oh, and thanks, Silvone. I'll be sure to check out the Rama series.
Buzzwulf
Buzzwulf
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum