FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High Fantasy RP

5 posters

Go down

High Fantasy RP Empty High Fantasy RP

Post by Desert Zephyr Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:57 pm

I do not have a title for this, simply because I am not going to put all the information out without interest. The world is high fantasy and based around around a single city. Karst is the jewel of the world, and every kingdom and country on the planet wishes they could take it over, but can't. Home to two of the most powerful trans-national organizations, the home of the league of mages, as well as the dominant religious order on the planet, it has more wealth and real military power than most countries. Nestled between a hazardous desert and treacherous mountains, the easiest method is through the large river that runs through the city into the sea. Many a naval invasion has been launched to be cut to pieces by greedy pirates and mercenaries, before even reaching the powerful navy that several merchant guilds support for their own semi-legal activities. To make matters worse, two powerful and vibrant empires claim borders on either side, and neither would accept a Karst that isn't neutral or in their favor.

An outward change of power is out, but where there is wealth and power, there is rampant corruption. Internal strife is common and the League of Mages battles silently against the religion of Telas, the Order of the Light. The third powerful faction is the largest and most fractured, consisting mostly of rich merchants and outcast nobility. Political control is vested in a ruling Council; elected ostensibly through popular vote, it more an expression of power in different districts. The council is housed in one of the three wonders of the city, an ancient and beautiful structure maintained by a discreet and aloof staff. The keepers of halls maintain their own secrets, far from the oblivious members of the council. One of them is the notorious and legally immune assassins' guild, the real mediators of power in the city. Difficult to enter, and impossible to leave, the guild is the true power in the city, if only they were interested in ruling it themselves.

That would be the setting. I have some background history on prominent individuals, countries and empires, as well as other tantalizing mysteries to be discovered. Given that this is an actual world I created for a novel, I have some vested interest in keeping the setting consistent, but I want to play with this world with other people. If there is interest I can come up with a several plots or take suggestions per interest, and if only one person is interested, I can move this easily into 1 on 1. Magic is going to have some strict regulations on how it works and functions, but I believe it offers a lot of leeway for personal styles and creativity. Other than that, pretty much anything goes, and you guys can request more information if you are curious.

Desert Zephyr
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

High Fantasy RP Empty Re: High Fantasy RP

Post by Ruu Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:50 am

~I'm always interested in fantasy RPs. I'd like to hear more. Smile
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Desert Zephyr Mon Dec 24, 2012 6:38 pm

I don't have any serious plots worked out yet; the ideas I have at the moment revolve around a pirate alliance to sack the city, a religious civil war, and a demonic uprising. Warlocks and demon summoning is a big no-no in this era and world, but people still do it anyway. Anything specific you want more info on?

Desert Zephyr
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:41 pm

It sounds really cool! I'd be interested a little more in the religious order. Like what they believe in and maybe more about their civil war.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Desert Zephyr Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:24 am

The major religion is strictly focused on worshiping light. Multiple allegories and other stories can be shared and we can develop this more together, but think more of a paladin in one of the world of warcraft books for the more militant orders (there are seven). Light is viewed as healthy and beneficial and necessary for personal growth, but this does not necessarily mean sun light. There is a common theme for the harsh sunlight to be viewed as a stern Father-like influence, guiding and encouraging growth through strict and sometimes painful discipline. The moonlight is more likened to the mother, gentle, persistent and calm, as well as a metaphor for how a mother is a guide through dark times. Stars and star light is also fascinating as a sub-class and studied extensively.

From a structure point of view, it has become extremely hierarchical. The head of the church is the Patriarch, who like the emperors in feudal Japan, have little to do with the actual running of the church. That is revolved around a seven member Council, and three hundred member Conclave who bicker over who has the most control over church policy. Any member from the conclave except for the military preceptors may be elevated to the council. The council consists contains one treasurer, one head of the 'inquisition', the military head of the church known as the general of the light, and the chief executor, who is the political head, and pro forma leader of the council.

I like having big messy things for everyone to have their own side-plot running, but the civil war basically arises from a political struggle between the military orders, the monastic orders (nine there), and bishops/cardinals of the general parishes, and clashing view point on how to prosecute heretics, of whom all non-exempt magic users fall strictly into that category.

Desert Zephyr
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:43 am

~That sounds neat! I'd definitely be interested in doing a roleplay with this.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Desert Zephyr Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:57 am

I will start writing things up. It will probably take a while so have patience por favor. Also, maybe more people will be interested as I post more stuff.

Desert Zephyr
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:49 pm

~Sounds great! Looking forward to it! Smile
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Davina SinClair Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:14 am

I love the feel of this already with what you have posted here. I would love to be apart of it!
Davina SinClair
Davina SinClair
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghostlingx Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:41 am

Sounds interesting, so count me as a maybe... If I have the time.
Maybe I'll play as a small side character if that's fine with you?

Ghostlingx
Ghostlingx
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Desert Zephyr Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:22 pm

Ghost, you can play a main character that pops in and out if you want. I won't have a huge amount of time either, so slow posting is ok with me. If you have any questions while I write this up, let me know. I'll post the answers pretty quickly if I can.

Desert Zephyr
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghostlingx Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:47 am

Okay. Razz Thanks.

Popping in and out eh? I like that idea. I think I might just do that.
Ghostlingx
Ghostlingx
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Desert Zephyr Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:33 pm

One of several teasers to show that I am working on doing the all the background writing.

The World of Estis

Estis is an earth-like planet with a single moon that is slightly larger than Earth’s, and two small asteroids that orbit it erratically. It has five major continents and currently, only one is isolated from the rest of the globe. It has a larger tidal movement, and the moon is locked into a stationary orbit with a fixed distance. Seasons are approximately one-hundred and twenty days each from a longer orbit. Estis’s star is yellow white, is slightly larger, and slightly hotter than our sun. Several sentient species inhabit the planet with humans being the overwhelmingly dominant population. Notable inclusions are dragons and the Keepers, who are the rarest based on population. Orcs, elves, and gnomes are also major sentient populations, but are isolated geographically and rarely seen outside their own kingdoms. They are all located also several thousand miles from Karst, and even more rarely appear there. The Keepers are the exception, and are located exclusively in the Halls of the Three Moons, the home of the Karst’s Council (as far as you know! Mwuhahahaha!)

Desert Zephyr
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghostlingx Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:25 am

Seems like a cool thing Razz I hate teasers you know... You learn about 0.001% information, and they make you want more. Razz

I think you should just say 'Estis’s sun' rather than 'Estis’s star', because it is a lot more clear that way. Unless there is only one star in their solar system.

Good job though. Razz I think I'll go with your idea then. I'm in, though I don't know how often I'll stick in.
Ghostlingx
Ghostlingx
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Hidden Ferocity Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:23 pm

I am interested as well, please count me in. Headbang

Hidden Ferocity
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Davina SinClair Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:17 pm

Loved the teaser and cannot wait for more!
Davina SinClair
Davina SinClair
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Desert Zephyr Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:08 pm

Teaser Two. Ancient history/myths
History of Estis
By Magus Darius Kerran il-Tarsis, Professor of History, Kalis University

First Apocryphal Age

Known only from translations of translations from incredulous myths from the Second Ascendent culture, the beings known as Teh’ruhn came to dominate the stars and the worlds of the Keltia, which is currently translated as all. These beings possessed material forms were reported to be roughly analgous to Ahk’tareed, with an extra finger, and a shorter and wider stature. The The’ruhn existed before gods, demons and the Others, and ruled for uncounted ages before some cataclysm of power and intent rent the Keltia apart in a titanic effort to create new stuff, new additions to Keltia. The methods used from the understanding of the Ahk’tareed said this was impossible, and the consequences were unimaginable, although some translated scraps indicated that the The’ruhn both understood the risks and had methods of controlling it. This event concluded the first Apocryphal age.

Second Apocryphal Age

The Teh’ruhn wrent new worlds, new planes, and dimensions from the nothing beyond nothing, creating the first gods, demons and mortals, and placed each within their own sphere. Only the greatest of these would grow to walk the stars, and kneel before the splendor of the universe. The first to do so were the gods, beings of tremendous might in the physical realm and deep understanding of the [/i]Keltia[/i].

They were born under the gaze of Teh’ruhn, and spread out to claim their rightful domains. Upon countless worlds they found different mortal species and became their rulers. Some were beneficent guardians, others ruthless despots. Still in time they competed with each other, and began to reach for greater glory and power. They began to look into their mortal subjects, beings not entirely of the physical planes, but also of spirit. The gods experimented and extended their powers into the realms of the spiritual and found new realms to possess and fight over. The migration continued until the demons of the spiritual realms were found.

The God Wars began as the demons, strong spiritual presences with great powers, resisted the domination of the gods. While individually more powerful, the cohesion and discipline of the denizens of demonic realms began to show, forcing the gods back and killing a few. This action began the second conclave of the gods. New gods were created, some ascending some emerging from the powers of their elders, but factional issues and renegades working with demons still presented issues for the gods.

The war stabilized and stalemated for eons. Only the The’ruhn knew, but eventually, the war called the Others, a force as great as the ancients. The universe shuddered anew as the Teh’ruhn began to war with the Others, and eventually driving them away. While a beaten remnant of the Others remain, hungry for power and glory, they are locked away by Teh’ruhn artifacts and prisons. After this, the Teh’ruhn presented their only edicts, the precepts of power. These edicts outlined actions that were counter to the interests of everyone in the universe, and vanished after their costly wars.

Third Apocryphal Age

The absence of the Teh’ruhn sparked another round of wars, but this time the vacuum would be filled by Ascendent mortal civilizations. While the gods were fighting each other and the demons, the weakest mortal cultures grew and developed. Finally, the mortals created and built enough to challenge, enslave and destroy both the gods and the demons. This age lasted an unknown amount of time, and some catastrophic cataclysm ended it, as well as the records of these times.

Postscript
All of these speculative histories are built upon translations of the Ahk’tareed scraps from dig sites on Bellurdan and some stone fragments from ancient histories of the dark and savage tribes of Kjerran tribes.

Desert Zephyr
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down