FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NPC Investigations OOC

+3
Digital Muse
Anubis
Eternal Phoenix
7 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

NPC Investigations OOC Empty NPC Investigations OOC

Post by Eternal Phoenix Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:27 pm

Superhuman abiliites have existed for centuries. A historical theory posits that a few of the "gods" of ancient peoples were superpowered humans at one point. However, for the vast majority of modern history, the people who had them kept them secret. The accusation of demonic alliance were still potent fears. Then came World War Two. A press cameraman caught-on video-Project Blue LIberty's Big Blue (Oliver Snow) in action throwing a tank. The news blew the lid off the secrecy surrounding the so-called Mystery Men. Within a decade, superhumans-including war veterans-began operating openly. Some wore tights and/or a mask, others didn't bother. The McCarthy hearings tried to put an end to it by decrying these new heroes as Red sympathizers, and for a whle it worked. The heroes went underground or simply retired. Then came Starman.

1961. September 21. A bank robbery gone bad. The robbers had taken hostages. Then they was there. A bear of a man. Six and a half feet tall. Bulletproof and strong enough to bend steel with ease. A woman, normal sized but too fast to be seen with the naked eye. They wore matching stars on their shirts. No one died, and the robbers went to jail. However. The two didn't leave immediately like the heroes who remained. They stayed and talked to the press. They were married. He was blue collar and tended to keep things simple. She was ferociously intelligent and danced verbal circles around the reporters. Their intention was clear. Superheroism had arrived.

Within two years, superheroes started coming out of the woodwork. Gunsmith. Megagirl. Nega. Arriba. Countess. To name just a few. They saved the world and marched for equal rights alongside Martin Luther King and Malcolm X. If you don't know how that story ends, you should go look it up.

Modern day. The population explosion of the post-WWII era has turned the better than one in a million shot at having superhuman powers on its head. 99% of the population has the potential. All it needs is the right trigger, which could be as common as water to as rare as molten iridium. Every government agency employs superpowered people, from the federal alphabet soup all the way down to local police. All that said, most superhuman powers are weak. A small strength increase, or generation of a stun gun level jolt. Real, world shaking power is still very rare. And people are still people. Not everyone wants to save the world and/or serve and protect. This is where you come in.

You need a job in this tough market. You have some experience with your powers and someone you know recommened NPC Investigations. You decided to give it a shot. You dropped by their offices and filled out this application:
Spoiler:
The rest will begin in the IC thread.

Now for the important bit. Abilities. I'm not going to restrict you to a specific set of them. You can have whatever you want, as far as type goes. I'll even count magic, martial arts, swordsmanship, archery skill, etcetera. That said, you can't be too powerful.

Rules of thumb:
If you strength rivals that of Superman, you're too powerful.
If you your combat skills rival those of Batman, you're too powerful.
If you can keep up with the Flash, you're too powerful.

You can see where I'm going with this. Street level powers, people. A good benchmark is Daredevil. Another is Thomas Raith, from the Dresden Files, if he wasn't a incubus. Powerful, but not invincible. I'll leave you to it.

These are my characters, complete with their roles in the structure of NPC Investigations.

Spoiler:

Last edited by Eternal Phoenix on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Phoenix
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

NPC Investigations OOC Empty Re: NPC Investigations OOC

Post by Anubis Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:29 pm

Name: Anders Colferri
Ancestry: Scandanavian, and some German
Years of experience: 4
Abilities: Intuitive Aptitude (Can understand how an object works by observing it for a short period of time. Can be used to find weaknesses in things as well.)
Why you want to be a part of NPC Investigations: I have been learning about the world for several years now. I started up as a Private Detective 4 years back in order to see and do more things. I think I'm quite good at it, and my record should speak for itself. I thought your firm could give me more opportunity to use my gifts to help others.

Last edited by Anubis on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Anubis
Anubis
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:10 pm

Name: Julia Lazarre (Entropy)

Ancestry: French with some Romany thrown in (if her grandmother's stories can be believed)

Years of experience: 2

Abilities: Accelerated decay of materials or reversing of the natural decaying process of an item touched

Why you want to be a part of NPC Investigations: I don't want to be dangling on a string at the whim of every gang or government agency that thinks they have the right to tell me how to use my powers. If I join an established agency and make a name for myself I can get out from under the pressures of the tug of war and stand on my own two feet.

**You are also my hero for simply mentioning the Dresden Files.** cheers
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal Phoenix Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:01 pm

Well...the Dresden Files are simply my favorite book series of all time. I mean, they've got everything. Action, adventure, drama, and my favorite flavor of comedy, the wisecrack. Next you'll tell me you loved Angel and I'll flip my lid.
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Phoenix
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:51 pm

I have seen very little of Angel, but what I saw I adored. Spike is my hero and naturally as James Marsters also narrates Dresden in audio books, how can it be a bad thing?

If you like Dresden, I can highly reccommend Glen Cook's Garret, P.I. series. Smile
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal Phoenix Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:18 pm

Now I must buy the audio books. Curse you. Curse you Digital Muse.
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Phoenix
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Hahaha. Sorry....but it's the only way I have time to 'read' so to speak and I can't read to Jim Butcher without hearing James' voice. In my mind he '*is* Harry Dresden.
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:32 pm

Name: Jacob “Jay” Patterson

Ancestry: Mostly Irish and Scottish (very pale skin)

Years of experience: 20. Jacob’s abilities and knowledge come from many generations of handed down tradition and skill.

Abilities: Jacob is skilled in Runecraft and the Wyrd. He can use the primal names/symbols of energies, essences and objects to impart his will upon them.

Why you want to be a part of NPC Investigations: For the longest time, I have been surrounded by brothers, sisters, aunts and uncles who live their lives in seclusion, attempting to protect the ancient ways. I decided that I am tired of doing nothing when the world needs people like us, people who have a strong sense of family, community and respect for the Earth.

I am hoping to put into positive use the skills and knowledge that for too long have gone unused. In doing so make my part of the world, and the world in general, a better place.

Plus, I am tired of hearing about my grandfather’s glory days. If I don’t get out of here, I will lose it.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal Phoenix Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:22 am

Crain, I'm not familar with Runecraft and the Wyrd. What, exactly, can he make a given object do? It doesn't need to be in the sheet, I've just never heard of it and the little that's up there is too broad for my liking.
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Phoenix
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:06 am

Eternal Phoenix wrote:Crain, I'm not familiar with Runecraft and the Wyrd. What, exactly, can he make a given object do? It doesn't need to be in the sheet, I've just never heard of it and the little that's up there is too broad for my liking.

For the most part, I just made these terms up. Runecraft is the art or craft of creating a mystical effect using runes or glyphs. For example, writing the glyph for "Strength" on a jar will make it more durable. Writing the glyph for "Preservation" on the inside of an herb canister will encourage the herb to stay fresh, and therefor potent, longer. Rune craft is used to amplify the attributes already present in an object.

The Wyrd is more complex and acts more as a spell. If you carve the Wyrd for flame, heat and light onto a piece of wood, and then speak the name for "Fire," the energy of fire will come to the wood and the wood will ignite and burn as long as it is not too green or wet. If you draw the Wyrd for block, seal and barrier onto a door and speak the word for "lock," the door will not open.

I hope this explains it a little better. If this is no good, I am more than willing to try something else. This was just a unique ability I wanted to play with.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal Phoenix Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:28 pm

So what you're saying is that they can have some juice, but they need prep time. Hmm. I like it. You're fine, Crain. In a day or two (or sooner if Airedar gets his sheet up) I'll get the IC thread started.
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Phoenix
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crain_S Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:39 pm

Eternal Phoenix wrote:So what you're saying is that they can have some juice, but they need prep time. Hmm. I like it. You're fine, Crain. In a day or two (or sooner if Airedar gets his sheet up) I'll get the IC thread started.

Exactly. However, he can have pre-made Wyrds, (having multiples of the same word will all activate at the same time) but they don't last very long. If he knows he is going to need a particular Wyrd on the fly, he can have it ready to go.

I am glad you approve; I was very proud of myself for coming up with it.
Crain_S
Crain_S
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal Phoenix Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Yep. I wish I'd thought of it. Oh, well. IC thead is here:

http://www.footstepsofghosts.com/t4300-npc-investigations#102121

You don't have to use the timestamp thing that I did. That was just for my own benefit and I won't be doing it again.

I added my people to the first post. So you know.
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Phoenix
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElRey Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:15 am

Room for one more?

I went a different direction as far as his experience with NPC Investigations goes. Happy to change it if need be. Just let me know.

Name: Alai Saaid

Ancestry: Arabian

Years of experience: Ability surfaced fully around puberty, though he was born with an enlarged ribcage which doctors initially feared was a sign of gigantism.

Abilities: Increased strength, speed and stamina as a result of an enlarged heart & lungs and wider veins, arteries & capillaries. Muscle tissue is over oxygenated and uses fuel more efficiently than typical human male. Due to the increased blood flow, wounds are capable of healing faster, bullet wounds, including tissue and muscle damage will be repaired in days rather than weeks. A slash from a knife would be little more than gnarled scab within a handful of hours. Pain tolerance and mortality are still an issue as neither seems at all enhanced by his condition. Brain activity seems to be meagerly increased though the deviation was small enough to be ruled unimportant.

Why you want to be a part of NPC Investigations: Honestly? I was referred here through a supers job fair. I applied to a security firm of some kind. Got a call and came in maybe two months ago, did some aptitude testing and ran through some basic drills. I’m a little surprised I got a call back after so long, figured I had bombed the test.
ElRey
ElRey
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal Phoenix Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:07 pm

More room? Or course there's more room. In fact, I don't technically have a maximum number of RPers for this one. The limit is however many I can handle at once. I have no idea where that limit is, but I'm sure it's at least five. So you're in.

And just as a general point, I"m not that much of a mystery writer. So don't expect to have your detective instincts outsmarted. It's just not what I'm good at. I do action/adventure stories. The aforementioned Dresden Files, Angel, Cowboy Bebop, and team up comic books likes JLA, JSA, and Avengers (before they all lost their minds and mucked everything up again) are all a big influence on me and my style. That said, while the plots themselves will be relatively straightforward, progressing through them won't be. I'll throw some stuff at you, because I've got ADD and indulging a occasional whim keeps me from getting bored with the current plot and abandoning it. Good luck out there. It's a dangerous world.
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Phoenix
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Airedar Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:00 pm

As one of the people who posted interest, I feel it's my duty to throw in the proverbial towel, or, in this case, irritable old French guy.
Because irritable old French guys are the best guys.
Obviously.

Name: James L.L. Lerange

Ancestry: French

Years of experience: 21

Abilities: I can see what will happen five seconds from now. If I do something to change that, even thinking, it changes. I don't see changes inacted by other people because, sorry to say, you don't change the future. Not even a little bit. I might be ale to see further ahead than that, but I've never tried. My life is confusing enough as it is.

Why you want to be a part of NPC Investigations: I'm poor and unemployed, and anything else would be a waste, obviously.

More in depth? Well I've lived just about long enough to know that things never work themselves out, and it's generally someone else who does the fixing. I've also lived long enough to know how to work those sorts of things out, and there's a saying about that, isn't there? If you can do something well, might as well get paid.

Last edited by Airedar on Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : More stuff!)
Airedar
Airedar
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElRey Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:20 pm

Yeesh, so I went a little crazy on my first post. Sort of just spilled out into something much larger than I originally intended. >.<
ElRey
ElRey
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:24 pm

ElRey, that was an awesome opener. Can't wait to see what else befalls your poor character. Laughing
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal Phoenix Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:28 pm

That general point was for everyone, ElRey.

Airedar, is that a five second long vision of the future, or seeing five seconds into the future? And what does "compound" have to do with anything?

Also, I'm not going to move the IC thread forward until everyone who has signed up has an opening post up. So you know.
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Phoenix
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ElRey Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:03 pm

Very Happy Thanks Muse! Glad you enjoyed it.

Phoenix, what do you mean "general point for everyone?"

I'm confused haha
ElRey
ElRey
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal Phoenix Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:31 pm

Oh...then this here
ElRey wrote:Yeesh, so I went a little crazy on my first post. Sort of just spilled out into something much larger than I originally intended. >.<

Wasn't directed at me. Just a general statement. Nevermind me, then. And please, call me EP. Everybody at that other place does and honestly I kind of prefer it.
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Phoenix
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Airedar Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:25 am

Eternal Phoenix wrote:That general point was for everyone, ElRey.

Airedar, is that a five second long vision of the future, or seeing five seconds into the future? And what does "compound" have to do with anything?

Also, I'm not going to move the IC thread forward until everyone who has signed up has an opening post up. So you know.

It's a constant, never off sight of what SHOULD happen in five seconds (It's actually a bit less than that), and if he does something, it changes. That is the extent of it, but he's gotten pretty good at it in twenty years. Still tends to get muddled and anticipate what people say and such. Also, dodging a bullet that will be fired in five seconds doesn't really work, so it's only really useful in social I'm over evaluating this. I'll just stop now.
Airedar
Airedar
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal Phoenix Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:50 pm

You're not overthinking it. If you've got five seconds warning you can dodge a bullet, or rather, the aim of the gun barrel it comes from. Of course, that only really works with one gun against you and can still be a dicey proposition for a normal person (read: persons who aren't already aces at dodging bullets).

Ahem. Right. You're in, Airedar.
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Phoenix
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Safton Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:58 pm

Would you be open to a character with no powers? Essentially, it would be a a former military guy/spy who is closer to peak human with considerable training and skill. Basically a Punisher-type character.

Last edited by Safton on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total

Safton
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal Phoenix Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:49 am

Eternal Phoenix wrote:Now for the important bit. Abilities. I'm not going to restrict you to a specific set of them. You can have whatever you want, as far as type goes. I'll even count magic, martial arts, swordsmanship, archery skill, etcetera.

The etcetera includes that sort of thing, which Is why I used the term Abilities instead of Powers on the character sheet. So that's fine.
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Phoenix
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Safton Mon Mar 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Name: Jason Lucas Redfield

Ancestry: Gray-eyed, dark brown-haired Anglo-Saxon.

Years of Experience: ~18 (Combined military and CIA experience)

Abilities: Olympic-level physical conditioning. Advanced firearms, hand-to-hand combat, and survival training, in addition to a variety of other tradecraft and tactical skills. Exceptional memory.

Why you want to be a part of NPC Investigations: I've been in government work for almost two decades now. I've since moved on, but it seems the military was true in its promise to teach me "marketable skills". I've been told that I possess talents found in only a handful of people across the globe, although I'm not sure what that means in the days of real-life superhumans. In any case, I'm trying to expand my horizons and hopefully make a difference along the way.

Last edited by Safton on Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:17 am; edited 6 times in total

Safton
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternal Phoenix Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:06 pm

Excellent. I'm tired of waiting, so I'm going to move things along in the morning, right before I start playing Mass Effect 3. Nothing like motivation, eh?
Eternal Phoenix
Eternal Phoenix
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:32 pm

I fear over half of FoG will be temporarily shut down due to ME3... No
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Safton Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:38 pm

Got mine ready at midnight via pre-order. Been nice knowing you Wink

(I jest... kind of.)

Safton
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:48 pm

Haha! I know I shall be alone for a few days. It's expected.
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next