FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New

+2
Kalon Ordona II
Consulting Detective
6 posters

Go down

New Empty New

Post by Consulting Detective Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:51 pm

Greetings to you all. I am Consulting Detective, but you can call me CD or just Detective. I have never used this particular username on a forum before, so this is its test run. I usually go by That Butler or Bad Wolf, but I decided it was time for a change. Doesn't mean I won't switch to one of those at a later time if this one doesn't work out, though.

If my username, avatar, and signature did not already make this blatantly obvious, I am a very enthusiastic fan of BBC's Sherlock. I have roleplayed as Sherlock Holmes on several occasions, and if one of you would wish to do a roleplay based on BBC Sherlock, please do send me a PM about it. I would love to take on another such roleplay.

I am a recent college graduate. I was a biology major and a theatre arts minor, though my college only gave out Bachelor of Arts degrees, so that is what I have. Aren't liberal arts colleges wonderful? I aspire to earn a Ph.D in marine biology, and am currently applying to graduate schools for this purpose.

I have been roleplaying for about five years, give or take a handful of months. I started roleplaying on Gaia Online, got frustrated with the members there, and jumped ship to a forum which had just been starting at the time. I am currently an admin there, and I am also active on another roleplaying forum. In the interest of not advertising, I will not name those two forums. But I am quite active on both, and I intend to be equally active here. I just needed a change in scenery and some new people to interact with. The added challenge of the higher standards here is also very welcome.

I enjoy several roleplay genres, but you will never find me in a science fiction, post-apocolyptic, or futuristic roleplay. I prefer fantasy and medieval settings over all others, but I will engage in modern and/or realistic roleplays on occasion. Other favorites of mine are romance, action/adventure, and mystery/crime. I also have some fandom-related roleplays that I will engage in, but usually not with canon characters. Sherlock would be an exception to that, since I have too much fun playing him.

I am an anime fan, and have been a regular attender of a large anime convention for the past handful of years. My favorite anime is Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler), but I do enjoy many others. Usually ones that are not "cutesy," but I have seen a few that fall under that category. Other favorites (in no particular order) include Death Note, One Piece, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Pokemon, Rurouni Kenshin, DN Angel, Fullmetal Alchemist, YuYu Hakusho, Trinity Blood, Trigun, and Hellsing.

I don't anticipate that anyone would TL;DR this, but if you did... Hello. I'm CD. I'm glad to be here, and I hope to roleplay with you soon.
Consulting Detective
Consulting Detective
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

New Empty Re: New

Post by Kalon Ordona II Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Welcome to the FOG, CD! cheers
I'm quite looking forward to seeing some of your writing. Very Happy
We have quite a lot around here that might interest you. Do feel free to ask if you have any questions. Though, with all that deductive reasoning, you'll probably arrive at the answer before we can post it. xD

Hail to Sherlock!

I'm on GaiaOnline as well--came here from there--though it wasn't where I got my start. Remember before LOTRO was LOTRO? Yeah.
If you're still on Gaia, look me up in the Literate Roleplaying Guild! Same username. ^_^

We also have another marine biologist here! She'll probably be showing up in a bit. ^_^

Welcome again!
Happy writing, and enjoy the swirly mists! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:08 pm

O.O

You majored in biology...

You went to a liberal arts college...

You love marine biology...

BE MY FRIEND! Glomp

Okay, sorry for my excessive enthusiasm. But seriously, I think I just found my brain-twin, or something like that. I also went to liberal arts college, majored in biology (but got a B.S. degree), and I'm currently getting my masters in marine biology! Hurray for science nerds! High Five

WELCOME to FoG, CD! You're in a great place for high-quality role-playing of all sorts of genres, so I'm sure you'll fit in very nicely. I'm SilvanArrow, one of the global mods, so don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions! Enjoy your stay!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Consulting Detective Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Thank you for the kind words of welcome! I am glad to see that there is another marine biology enthusiast here. A masters student, hm? Very cool. I'm hoping to be accepted into a masters program for marine biology this fall. I also happen to volunteer at an aquarium, and have been doing so since I graduated from high school.

I would love to be your friend, SilvanArrow, if you will be mine! I'm sure I'll have some marine biology questions for you at some point. What particular area of marine biology interests you? I'm interested in scyphozoans and elasmobranchs.
Consulting Detective
Consulting Detective
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:28 pm

Yay! New science friend! By all means, don't hesitate to ask if you have any marine biology questions. I love talking about what I do! I originally wanted to work on marine mammals, but I've since changed to fisheries and artificial reefs. My thesis is looking at fish community structure on artificial reefs of varying ages and seeing how the community develops and changes over time. Then I'm comparing those communities to nearby natural reefs to see how long it takes before the artificial reef communities resemble those of natural reefs. It's a scuba-based study that I'm conducting on local artificial and hard-bottom natural reefs near where my school is located.

I'll make a shameless plug here, but I have a blog in my signature that talks a lot about my research and tries to raise awareness for marine biology research. It's still in the development stage (especially since I haven't done much fieldwork lately to use as blog post fodder), but you may enjoy it!
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Consulting Detective Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:50 pm

It sounds like very interesting research. Coral reefs are fascinating. One of my college classes went down to the Bahamas to learn about and snorkel on the reefs. It was a very fun class.
Consulting Detective
Consulting Detective
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:06 pm

Ah, that does sound like a fun class! My reefs aren't actually tropical coral reefs, though. I'm in a more temperate zone, so the invertebrates that make up the actual reef part are soft corals, sponges, and algae rather than the colorful, hard, reef-building corals. My reefs need solid substrate, like rubble or shipwrecks or limestone, for the invertebrates to settle. They're not as colorful as tropical reefs, but they still diverse fish communities that are really important for commercial and recreational fishing.

Okay, I'm totally taking over your intro thread with my nerdouts. I need to stop Razz
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Consulting Detective Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:16 pm

By all means, keep nerding out. It's an interesting topic that we're discussing. Temperate reefs are cool, too. I've had less experience with those, but they are fascinating. Reefs in general are amazing ecosystems. I adore them.
Consulting Detective
Consulting Detective
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Revan Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:01 am

Welcome to FoG, Consulting Detective. I am glad you were able to make a Science-friend quickly, in Silvan. She is a great person. Though I am only her normal friend Smile .

My name is Marc and I am one of the OOC Mods here, so if you need any help or have any questions feel free to contact myself or any of the other staff and we will be glad to assist you.

Enjoy your stay!
Lord Revan
Lord Revan
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:15 pm

I know I am late to the welcoming committee but I am still going to welcome you all the same. It sounds like you will have a great time here at FoG CD. Not gonna lie I was impressed with BBC's Sherlock as well. It was a great modern rendition of a classic cast of characters and I can't wait to see how the start off from that cliffhanger of an ending. It's also great to have another anime fan who appreciates the good stuff like Hellsing, FMA and Death Note (as they were some of my favorites as well). Anyway, welcome to FoG!
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Location : Greater Grand Rapids area, US of A ( last time I checked)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:06 pm

I've seen some of it, but not everything that's out.
Where can I find all the episodes so far? Very Happy
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:49 pm

I only got the first three through Netflix. Is there more available?
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Consulting Detective Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:28 am

The first three can indeed be found through Netflix. The second season will be showing in America in May. However, the episodes have already been shown in the UK, and you can probably find them online. I had links to them on videozer, but sadly they took them down. That made me very, very sad. If you check tv-links, you might get lucky and find links to them there.

I will say that the second season is incredible, and it is better than the first. Especially "A Scandal in Belgravia" and "The Reichenbach Fall." Those two episodes were amazing, and "The Hounds of Baskerville" was also great. Just not as awesome as the other two.
Consulting Detective
Consulting Detective
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:34 am

Awesome; I'll check Netflix then. Thumbs Up
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Digital Muse Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:20 am

You can also catch both seasons on 1chan.ch
Digital Muse
Digital Muse
Guardian Ghost
Guardian Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sunwolf007 Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:45 am

Thanks guys! I will check out season/series 2 when I have a chance.
Sunwolf007
Sunwolf007
Wraith
Wraith

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum