FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

FoG signing out for me!?

+4
Gadreille
Count
Kalon Ordona II
*Lozy
8 posters

Go down

FoG signing out for me!? Empty FoG signing out for me!?

Post by *Lozy Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:08 am

Well, I have run into two snags on my road. The first is something I saw posted about, and the is FoG not keeping me signed in when I ask it to. The seconded it signing me out after a long period of time

The first issues I know has been talked about it, so I'll only touch on it slightly. When I first joined I clicked the checked box and it's had me signed in every time I enter the site. But, for the past day and a half when I leave the page and come back with in even 30mins I am no longer signed it. Where as before I could have been off the computer for two days and come back and be signed in. Does anyone know why that does this and can anything be done?

Second, a probably the most important is FoG signing me out on it's own. Not 10 mins ago I spent an hour typing up a roleplay reply, one I was actually pretty proud of, but to my dismay when I went to post it turned out that I wasn't signed into FoG, but when I was replying, I had been. I tried to go back, but apparently there is no going back, and all my work was completely lost. I'm not blaming FoG, I should have backed my stuff up, but why the hell would it sign me out on it's own?! A couple other people have told me something similar has happened to them, and I was just wondering if this happens more often, and can something be fixed about it, or is it just the site and the way things work?
*Lozy
*Lozy
Mist
Mist

Female

http://foreversincerely.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

FoG signing out for me!? Empty Re: FoG signing out for me!?

Post by Kalon Ordona II Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:58 am

If you don't have it sign you in automatically, it will indeed log you out on its own after 30 minutes or so--not sure of the exact number.

Which browser are you using. You'll want to make sure your cookies are enabled. That's what tells your browser to remember to keep you signed in. If you're in Private Browsing in like Firefox or Google Chrome, or if you just have your preferences set to not accept cookies, it might not remember to keep you signed in.

There could be other reasons, but they're beyond me. Anyway that's probably the thing to check first. Cookies. Nod
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Count Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:07 am

Cookies'll do it. Sometimes, if your computer is particularly old or buggy (or if you often visit...interesting...sites), you might want to disable cookies in Internet Options.

The cookie saves your information to the browser so that you can long in automatically for as long as you are on the page, including when the site logs you out, and there are malicious cookies out there that do annoying things to your computer like slow it down.
Count
Count
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:18 am

It's been logging me out randomly as well.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:07 pm

It's been doing the same for me. It's not about the user's computer. It's probably a Forumotion ((they're the ones who host FoG for us)) issue.

Second, in the past, that sort of thing has happened to me. I've found that the best option is to type it up in Word or Notepad or something similar that is completely unrelated to the internet before posting it. That way, if the site or the internet glitches, the work isn't lost.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by *Lozy Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:56 pm

I don't believe it is my cookies, because I am still automatically logged into things like Facebook and Tumblr. But, thanks for the heads up if I ever have a problem like that.

Usually I type it into my hotmail so it saves it in the drafts (i have like an 9 year old computer that has never been updated, so i don't have Microsoft word, and my Notepad doesn't spell check.) and then usually I copy it into my computer for safe keeping, but for some reason I didn't.

Well, thank you for the help, everyone.
*Lozy
*Lozy
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Ghost Writer Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:32 am

It's another FFU, folks. It's done it to me already on a couple of other FM forums. This same issue actually happens at least twice a year and the occurrences are typically brief (it should only last about a week).

Just hit the login button and make sure you're browser remembers your login credentials for the site so you don't have to constantly retype it all. Of course for you paranoid peeps out there that think you may have a virus or somethin', then that's for you. Wink
The Ghost Writer
The Ghost Writer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bird of Hermes Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:40 pm

I have mine set to automatically sign me in and it signed me out since last time.

However, it seems to be working fine for me now.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by *Lozy Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:50 pm

Yeah, the signing in problem has seemed to go away, as for the signing me out after thirty mins, I can not say for sure.
*Lozy
*Lozy
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:15 pm

I guess it was a temporary thing, then--like Ghost said, on Forumotion's end.
Good to know. Smile
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by *Lozy Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:01 pm

Thanks again, for all the help everyone.
*Lozy
*Lozy
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:27 am

Sorry I'm late, but yes -- when FoG signs you out repeatedly in a short period of time, it's just some kind of hiccup on Forumotion's end (our host). That happens from time to time, but shouldn't be anything to worry about, as it always gets sorted out usually within the same day, so it's not something you should have to deal with for days on end. (I know it can be annoying.)
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum