FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Confederations Cup Soccer

Go down

Confederations Cup Soccer Empty Confederations Cup Soccer

Post by Guest Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:36 pm

Okay, in case anyone here is a diehard footie fan like me...

Ongoing, right now in South Africa, is a cup tournament between several international soccer teams, including the US. Surprisingly, the US is still in it and we're down to the quarterfinal stage. The contenders are Brazil, Spain, the US, and South Africa.

The US clawed through a fight with the Egyptians (sans Mohammed Zidan, their big striker) 3-0 and advanced after Italy lost 3-0 against Brazil.

Now we're going to face Spain, arguably the best team in the world right now.

My call is that we'll lose to the Spanish and this will be a Spain and Brazil final, which will be thrilling as hell now that the Brazilians are playing well (they weren't for a few years.)

It'll all be on ESPN on Wednesday for those who want to watch.

Back to top Go down

Confederations Cup Soccer Empty Re: Confederations Cup Soccer

Post by Squall Reyes Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:37 pm

I don't know how the HELL we made it through but we did. To tell you the truth I was a little disappointed, Egypt played with serious PASSION against Brazil and Italy. I would have liked to had seen how they would do against the Spanish. But hey we made it in and can't complain about that. Sure...we'll probably have our heads handed to us by Spain. Less of course they decide to take the day off. But still Brazil Spain final should be awesome. And a possible for shadowing of next years World Cup Final.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:14 pm

Egypt was down Mohammed Zidan. But I loved their performance against Brazil and was seriously rooting for them.

And yeah, I just can't see the US team having the same class as the Spanish, on any of the fronts. The guys on their team are all of extremely high quality plus they are a very cohesive team. Not only that, they don't even have David Silva and Andres Iniesta out there and they aren't hurt a bit by it.

It's just such a strong team, probably the strongest team Spain has ever put out. Fans watched Barcelona take the Champion's League this year, and much of the squad in South Africa right now (and the guys that'll be on it in 2010 in South Africa) are Barcelona products, if not their actual player. The center midfield pivot right now is all Barcelona; Xavi and Fabregas (who is at Arsenal, but is Catalan-born and Barca trained.)

The US just doesn't have the same sort of creativity, discipline, dribbling and passing panache that the Spanish do. The Spanish will play Barca style, and dominate with possession. We have a tendency to foul people and a really good goalkeeper; I feel sorry for Tim Howard, because he's going to be fending off two world class strikers and three extremely dangerous midfielders that know how to score goals and put in the precision passing.

And yeah, having seen Argentina sort of continue to not play up to snuff, I have to say that Brazil and Spain are probably the most dangerous teams out there. If Diego Maradona can get the Argentinos together, they'll have a shot; with Lionel Messi up front, anything is possible.

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Mon Jun 22, 2009 5:17 pm

As an Arsenal and Barce fan, the fact that Xavi and Fabergas are on that team makes me giddy. Very Happy But I agree the Argentinians cannot be left out of a World Cup Final conversation. As for the US. I think the problem is a lack of cohesiveness. Let's face it American MLS teams play in a style all their own. And when you put players who've spent their life in that system, with players who have spent their years with European teams who have their own style well then your going to have trouble. I think the MLS teams need to get with the rest of the world and play the European style of play like my beloved Seattle Sounders. Wink
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:00 pm

They also need to play a longer season more like what the rest of the world plays. But yes, I'm a huge gunners fan, to the point where I have the new away kit on pre-order and am waiting for it to ship out this week.

The US is also hampered by the fact that our best athletic talent for team sports do not go into soccer, but rather head over to the NBA or NFL. There are guys, like Wes Welker of the New England Patriots, that could probably play a mean wing but are strapping on pads instead.

I keep meaning to catch some DC United games but never actually manage to do it. At any rate, my heart is at the Emirates, and there it shall stay, I think. I became an Arsenal fan when I wiki'ed "Fever PItch" and realized there was a connection and kinship between Gooners and the Red Sox Nation. Being a born Sox fan, I felt that extended to having to be, by default, a Gooner.

Or so goes the excuse, anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:35 pm

If they would only play a longer season. But the MLS doesn't want to go up against football. Which I understand here in the States they would go bankrupt that season. lol I also agree with the second part, many players go to other sports which is too bad really. I played other sports as a kid, but my first love was soccer. Hm, would like to know where I'd be right now if my knee didn't get blown out. Oh well. I seen a few games down here in the LA but Seattle was NUTS. It reminded me of the world cup. Us Seattle fans are hardcore. Wink

Arsenal has been disappointing the last 2 years but I have a feeling from the champions league that were back on our game! Very Happy
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Dude, I think the Gunners are on the cusp of something great, with my man Arshavin in the midfield. If Arsenal just gets a good defensive midfield signing in, I think the club will be in good shape.

Oh, and it needs to play Carlos Vela more. I think he's got so much potential as a striker.

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:07 pm

So yeah wow...US vs Brazil or South Africa. I'm still in shock. I can only imagine the reaction in Spain. I mean sure it's not the WC but they still lost US. lol So does the US have a chance in the final. With the high the team must be on? Hell yes anything is possible. Could they take it into the WC next year? I hope so!
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:03 pm

Upset central lately. The Springboks are looking really lethal against the Brazilians. I mean, they have the possession and momentum.

Don't know what stupid rule makes the Brazilians the 'home' team. I think the host nation's team should always be allowed their home colors. It's actually all f*cked up the way they're doing it. Not that it really matters; the South Africans are on home ground in Johannesburg.

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:11 pm

I agree and wow what a heartbreaking way to go. Well lets hope the Springbroks can stop Spain for third. For for the final GO USA, complete the improbable comeback!
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:38 pm

Brazil v. USA. Watch out for Danny Alves or Maicon, both are lethal!

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:39 pm

Tomorrow is the big day! USA USA USA! Shock the world. (They probably won't but damn it I can dream!) If they somehow pull this out this might mean a good run in the World Cup.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:43 pm

Yeah, after seeing how Spain went down and they almost got taken to penalties by South Africa, they're probably gonna bring their a-game. Hell, they might play Maicon on the right wing and Dani Alves on the left. There aren't a lot of great left wingbacks out there, but Alves is a great right wing back.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:33 pm

If you have ESPN tune in, the US has a shot at an international trophy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:57 pm

DEMPSEY GOAL! 1-0 US!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:01 pm

GOAL DONOVAN! USA...FUCK YEAH!

2-0. Who woulda thunkit?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:28 pm

Doph, we lost. They subbed in Alves and he made runs up his wing while Maicon did the same, and we got spread out. Fabiano was feeling frisky and scored goals. If not for Tim Howard, he would probably have a hat trick.

We played well, though. The US is more of a contender than they used to be. We beat Spain and nearly took down Brazil in one tournament.

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:31 pm

It was a good learning experience for sure, and it's not losing the World Cup. (If it was I'd be much more upset with the team.) The lack of depth hurt the team without a doubt, its hard for the US to have a solid starting line up once we got into the subs Brazil started to make its moves.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:16 pm

It's good play though, solid catenaccio play, but with a good edge up the middle. Our big weakness is playing against a wide front, which will make us vulnerable to teams like Argentina, Russia, France, the Netherlands, Brazil when they play Alves left, and so forth. These teams all love the wing play. We probably need a good, tough defensive midfielder that can help expand the back line when under pressure and otherwise mop up and enable the other midfielders to bring it forward.

We were down Bradley, and Bradley seems to do a lot of that mopping up Volante role for the US. Actually, the kid's a real box to box midfielder, but he's big and aggressive and provides a little stability to the midfield; he was missed in this Brazil match when the midfield fell apart in the second half.

Dempsey was excellent, particularly if he just gets good service.

But we have a bench depth problem, fundamentally. I think that can only be solved with time and in the meantime, we have some of the best cross-training programs and fitness facilities in the world with which to maintain our team's physical edge. That was an important factor in our game.

I'm putting a bet down that Jozy Altidore is moving out to England, where they'll actually play him, next season. Michael Bradley might well get picked up by an English side as well; they had a chance to strut their stuff in the internationals, and it seems like the Spanish are particularly rough in terms of benching American players, whereas the English league actually gives our guys a good shot.

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:07 pm

I agree, the American game since it's well true "birth" into the international scene in the 94' cup has been a run run run attack attack attack team. This team showed they could defend though unless as you said it was against the wing.

Ok I'm glad it wasn't just me who noticed how the Spanish treat our players. It was my own personal HA moment when we beat them thing about that.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:46 pm

Yeah, it irritates me. The Italians don't give much of a shot to Americans either. England, France and Germany do, so we'll probably be playing in those leagues more and more as it becomes apparent how limited the opportunities are in Spain and Italy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum