FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advertisements sent through PM

+3
Artorius
Bird of Hermes
Axiom Awaits
7 posters

Go down

Advertisements sent through PM  Empty Advertisements sent through PM

Post by Axiom Awaits Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:43 pm

As some of you may now know, we have had an ongoing issue with members being sent a PM similar to this:
FoG seems pretty cool I guess, I plan to post here plenty...thought I'd refer you to a nice roleplaying forum that just started up with a lot of favorite RP genres and types to choose from, original fantasy, modern, anime, sci-fi, shows/movies/books, etc., anything and everything, we've got it, or just pursue your dreams and make your own roleplay project there. It's a lot of fun and growing steadily, join the movement before it's too late! Wink
Anyway, hope to see you both here and there, I guarantee you'll enjoy it if you give it a chance.
Check it out:
Link Removed
This person has been PMing new members here for awhile now and still continues to sign in to FoG nearly on a daily basis to do so. We are taking appropriate actions to handle this situation and hope that new members will not be greeted with this advertisement upon joining FoG.

We have reason to believe that although this member appeared to be interested in becoming a part of FoG, they actually are not. Our warning was ignored, as well as our suggestion to post their site in the Links to Click section and they (or someone else from their site) created another account to continue advertising via PMs.

Since we can't keep making new accounts to monitor this, I wanted to alert everyone to be on the look out. If anyone (especially new members) receives any PMs similar to the one above, please alert me or one of the staff members so that we can handle it. We are trying to take care of this as best we can, but we have been informed that these people are not only very persistent, but they have resorted to spamming forums in inappropriate ways as well.

Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Last edited by Axiom Awaits on Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Axiom Awaits
Axiom Awaits
★ Administrator & FoG Father ★

Male

Back to top Go down

Advertisements sent through PM  Empty Re: Advertisements sent through PM

Post by Bird of Hermes Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:30 am

Thank you, Axiom, for the notification.
Bird of Hermes
Bird of Hermes
Wraith
Wraith

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Artorius Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:48 am

Bird of Hermes wrote:Thank you, Axiom, for the notification.

Ditto
Artorius
Artorius
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade Barrier Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:28 pm

Wow, I guess that means I'm going to get a message like that soon then huh?

Well, have you tried going to the forum yourself to express your concern with the administration there? Maybe they'll take you more seriously if you show up on their forum. I'm sure they do this in a lot of places, and they 're willing to just ignore a single pm or so on their own account. Going to them is a much more effective way to mark your turf in my opinion.
Blade Barrier
Blade Barrier
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Axiom Awaits Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:24 pm

Hello, Blade Barrier. Welcome to FoG.
Yes, it is a possibility that you will receive one of these messages. I apologize if you are greeted as a new member with an advertisement for another forum.

I appreciate your suggestion and might consider that in the future if needed. However, I don't feel it should be necessary for me or any of our staff members to register an account on their site in order to resolve this issue. I hope that the member(s) responsible for the advertising will comply with what we have asked and will take our warnings seriously.

We have a section where members can post a link to their site called "Links to Click" within the General Discussion forum. This is a great way for anyone to share their site with FoG if they wish. Spamming our members through PM's is not something we approve of.
Axiom Awaits
Axiom Awaits

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blade Barrier Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:42 pm

This is not an uncommon problem in forums, but if you told them/him/her about "links to click" then they should probably post in that. I wouldn't sweat it too much though. You have a pretty good set up here and I don't see anyone hopping along to another forum.

Anyway, thanks for the speedy reply and greeting. Already I feel like a welcome member.
Blade Barrier
Blade Barrier
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Axiom Awaits Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:51 pm

Indeed it is a common problem Nod I'm glad you like the set up of the site Smile

I'm sorry my welcome was brief. I happened to notice that was your first post. I'm quite sure a thread in the Introduction area will bring a much more enthusiastic and warm response Smile
Axiom Awaits
Axiom Awaits

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:31 am

I just want to remind new members (or any members):

If you get a PM advertising to another forum, please let one of the staff know. This is an ongoing issue, and one that can't be moderated directly (which is why they are doing it).
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by SolidariGee Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:05 pm

I got one, and I've gotten one (the same one) at most role playing sites I've been a part of.

Sent to me by: littlemsjester

Do I need to link it somehow?

SolidariGee
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:18 pm

No, thank you, this particular username has been taken care of. But thank you very much for letting us know!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by SolidariGee Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:30 pm

SolidariGee
Mist
Mist

Back to top Go down

Post by Knifey Keith Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:53 pm

The person you're talking about does this on many sites (I know, I've been banned from most of them.)

The trick is not just to ban the account, but also the IP address. I'm sure you guys have done exactly that, but just in case… Yea.

Especially that many of these pricks will use proxy's and/or alternative IP's.
Knifey Keith
Knifey Keith
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:24 pm

I will make sure the admins are doing just that, thanks Keith.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum