FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Threads of Hope and Despair: Dark Goddess/Ruu

2 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Threads  of Hope and Despair: Dark Goddess/Ruu Empty Threads of Hope and Despair: Dark Goddess/Ruu

Post by Ruu Sun May 22, 2011 12:47 am

The great city of Oranu was a magnificent city to behold, yet it held a dark, deadly secret. Once it had been a sign of great power, a glittering city of hope. Founded by the Ariadne Church, it was a place filled with crystal statues and buildings, for crystal was said to represent the rainbow of colors that represented their deity. Holy buildings were scattered throughout the city, housing great altars and monuments. For years, the city prospered as its message of hope was spread, its population grew, and its trade with other countries and cities increased. But the passage of time brought with it changes and a scientific revolution. The Church fought against the theories proposed by science, but time and again as the theories were proved correct, the Church lost power. The first experiments produced rudimentary technology such as light bulbs and simple machines. As time went on, other technological innovations were invented, such as computers and machines. Soon, everyone was dependent upon the wonders of science. If science could do so much with non-living, non-sentient things, what could it do to humans? The first inkling of human experimentation appeared when strange creatures began roaming the streets at night, creatures that were said to enjoy terrorizing the city-folk. These creatures were coupled with unexpected disappearances. The scientists passed it off as mere speculation even as the Church cried out of foul play. As even greater monsters began appearing, however, even during the day, the once prosperous city began to sink into despair. People began fleeing the city in droves, trying to escape the rush of monsters and other strange occurrences plaguing the city. The last experiment was produced during the confusion, an infant infused with strange genes and chemicals at birth and subtly linked to the first experiment...

But the scientists thought the child was a failure, so they left him on the doorsteps of the Church. The Church members knew that the child came from the dreaded scientists, but even their own members had succumbed to corruption. They raised the child, in hopes that he would help them in their own power struggle. As he grew older, they trained him in the ways of the Church, never revealing his true heritage, but telling him his strange powers were granted to him so that one day he could defeat the evil the scientists had unleashed upon the city. But on his tenth birthday, complete disaster struck. The latest experiment, an attempt to reverse time itself, sent the city spiraling into an eclipse of darkness. When the eclipse faded, the monsters were stronger and more full of rage than ever. The city had become a labyrinth, a maze of streets and houses and nothing was in the right place.

Even the members of the Church would no longer stay, losing faith in their Deity. The High Priestess, who had come to regard the child as her own, tried to convince the young boy to come with her. But he would not...He still believed the false prophecies the Church instilled in him and would not leave. No amount of pleading or cajoling could persuade him to leave the Church. He said his Faith would preserve him, and the jeweled cross he wore around his neck would protect him from all evil. And so the members of the Church left to escape the chaos and the monsters. The jeweled cross worn by the child was an Ancient Artifact with rare and unexplained powers. It had been unearthed by the child when he was only two years old, somehow drawn to it with his latent psychic abilities. It was the key to an ancient civilization, long gone, though no one knew how or why. But now...it was to play a part in shaping the very future of the city, perhaps of the world...

A young boy knelt in the sanctuary of the church, robed in the gold garments that only he was to wear, to signify his special position in the church. But now that meant nothing, for all the Faithful were gone, deserting him, leaving him to his own fate....Though ten years old, the boy was slight and looked much younger than his age. Pale blonde hair framed delicate facial features, emblazoned with eyes the color of the azure sky. One could not tell that he was different, that great power flowed within his body, except for the look of strength and wisdom, rare in the eyes of one so young. Now he was waiting, even as all others fled the city. His powers had revealed that one would be coming sometime soon, someone who would care for him and aid him in a quest...A quest to find the Legendary Temple, a Temple that had come to rest somewhere in the city during the strange experiments that had turned night into day. This Temple was somehow connected to the Cross he wore, and the young boy prayed that the Cross would lead the city back to the light, away from the Darkness it embraced. And so he continued to wait...to wait for his Hope...even in the midst of the deepest Fear...
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Threads  of Hope and Despair: Dark Goddess/Ruu Empty Re: Threads of Hope and Despair: Dark Goddess/Ruu

Post by DarkGoddess Mon May 23, 2011 4:21 pm

Oranu was a beautiful city, once upon a time. It used to be the crossroads of humanity, everyone travelled to learn from the teachings of the main church. It had been glorious in it's prime, but there was never a chance for them to reclaim that glory. Scientists had stepped on the toes of the church over the years, nibbling away at the beliefs and the credit of the church. It had started off harmlessly. Long ago, a lightbulb had been designed. A small opening for the door of science, but enough. More than enough.

And then came the monsters.

Cable Hunter, Cabe for short, had been born in the early periods of the monster era. He hadn't been allowed going outside after dark. Not that that particularly protected them from demons in the shadows, but it was something. Some of the monsters could be fast, and even running from a friend's house down the road back home would be dangerous. Much time was spent at home because of them.

By the time Cabe had made it to high school, he had lost his sister to the monsters. Because of that, his father had taught him how to use a gun. He had been one of the last kids on the block taught to use it. His parents were traditionalists, that thought kids didin't need to know how to use guns no matter what. Times had changed too quickly for them to adjust. Cabe had learned quickly, however. He wasn't the best shot in the world, but he knew the basic rule: when your life is in dangered, don't worry about wasting bullets. He only wished he had learned how to shoot before he had lost his sister.

By no means was he a great shot, but he was half-decent. Enough to get hidden away safely in case of an emergency.

An emergency like he was in right then.

The last mistake had pushed it too far. Even Cabe could see that, and he was by no means religious. Whatever they had done, it had caused darkness to sweep across the city of Oranu, and the monsters had increased in their aggression with a vengence. Even worse, the layout of the city had completely changed. Cabe had just discovered this, in trying to escape the death-trap for good. Now he was caught. Most of the doors on the surrounding buildings were locked in protection from the monsters. Cabe was out of breath, running down the streets as two beasts approached. Turning around, Cabe pointed the gun and let off 3 quick shots at each of them. However, he only had his small gun, and now he was out of bullets again. He turned and kept running, forcing his burning lungs to suck back more oxygen. He fumbled in the pocket of his bag's strap. There were only two more there. The rest of his supplies were in the main part of the backpack, not able to be accessed until he found somewhere to hide.

Cabe skidded going around the corner of the sidewalk, ripping a hole in the knee of his jeans. Quick, he was back on his feet just in time to see the street he had gotten to. Tall and forboding, the Church of Oranu. It was pretty, and had always been the word of tradition and caution when proceding with science. Cabe had ignored their ominous words. Most of the city had. But even he had to agree with the church when the scientists had begun messing with human DNA. Or at least, that was what the rumors said they had been up to.

"Either way, this place better be open." He muttered as he ran up the marble steps and shouldered the door open. He ducked in and closed the door shut, listening to see if any monsters had caught him. They never seemed to find people when they were inside but better safe than sorry. Finally, he let out a slow breath. For now, he was safe enough to lean against the door of the church and catch his breath, as well as to allow his eyes a break. Slowly, he put a hand through his too-long brown hair, surely mussing it more than it had been before. What Cabe would have done to get a razor to shave the stubble off his cheeks and chin, he wasn't even sure anymore. He just knew that what he needed most, in order, was food so he could put some meat on his far-too-thin frame. A bath, to wash the dirt, sweat and grime off him, and a long, good night's sleep to rid himself of some of the dark circles under his eyes.

Last edited by DarkGoddess on Mon May 23, 2011 7:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Finish the post.)
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Threads  of Hope and Despair: Dark Goddess/Ruu Empty Re: Threads of Hope and Despair: Dark Goddess/Ruu

Post by Ruu Mon May 23, 2011 9:08 pm

The young boy, whose name was Nevin, continued to pray silently, though he felt another human presence making his way towards the Church. The child did not have the power to read minds as of yet, but he could sense the life force of others, and from that could detect emotions and persona among other things. The young man he sensed seemed on the verge of desperation, most likely from dodging the terrible monsters. The child stood, wanting to go and help, but the older boy had already reached the Church and entered the doors. Nevin could see him now from the altar, though the distance was fairly great, as it was a large Church. Compassion filled his eyes when he saw the newcomer’s gaunt body and his worn-out expression. He looked as if he could use some food and shelter. Fortunately, for the moment, the Church could provide both.

Nevin ran forward, his light garments flowing behind him, until he reached Cable. For a moment, he hesitated before his eyes began to shine with hope. It was him! The person who would be the hero and save the city! He had been waiting so long for this day and it was finally here! Praise the deities!

“You’re here!” he laughed, a childish yet kind smile on his young features, “I knew you would come! I just knew it! I prayed and prayed and waited every day and even everyone else left but I didn’t because I knew my hope would one day come true!”

He hesitated to take a breath and paused, realizing he probably had just confused the newcomer even more.

”Ah…I’m sorry,” he stammered, “I should introduce myself. My name is Nevin and I’m an acolyte of the Church. I would take you to my friends but…they all left. But there’s still lots of food here if you’re hungry and you can rest if you’re tired. The…Dark Ones…they won’t come in here because it’s a Holy Place.”

Though Nevin was right the monsters wouldn’t come into the Church, it wasn’t because the place was Holy. Rather, some of the corrupt members had used their own scientific knowledge to embed specific technology into the framework of the Church, technology that would emit a noise only the beasts could hear to scare them away. So far, it was working, but with the eclipse the beasts were becoming stronger. It was only a matter of time…
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Mon May 23, 2011 11:18 pm

Hurried footsteps caused Cable to jolt into motion, scrambling into motion to grab his gun until he saw the boy approaching. Dressed head to toe in gold, he had mistaken the child for an idol or statue at first. Now as the kid came forward, however, he saw the delicate features, a small upturned nose and large eyes, framed by wispy blond hair. "You're here!" He cried, kneeling next to her. Cable raised his eyebrows, still able to maintain his strange humour. /Of course I'm here. Why do you say?/ He thought to himself, but refrained from saying so.

He opened his mouth to reply, but the kid continued on, babbling about being a member of the church and being able to offer sanctuary. "The…Dark Ones…they won’t come in here because it’s a Holy Place.” He finished off saying. Cable smiled wanly at the boy, doubting the final words. He had seen monsters in temples in other parts of the city. There was probably something the monsters didn't like about this building. But he said nothing. The kid--Nevin--was so convinced, that Cabe didn't want to destroy that.

"Thank you." He finally managed to say. "I'm Cable. I don't know what you mean by saying you were waiting for me, but I'm not even supposed to be out of high school yet. I'm of no use to you. Nevertheless, thank you, once again, for your offers." He didn't put much into what the kid had said at first. He'd been alone for awhile, it seemed. Maybe he had just 'waited' for another human voice to speak to him. That was probably it.

Slowly, Cable braced his legs and pushed himself into standing position. Once fully upright, he swayed, his head spinning. He had his breath back, but he was nowhere near full health just yet. "May I have something to eat? I promise, I won't take too much." A trickle of liquid ran down his leg as he spoke, and he looked to see a red stain spreading where he had skidded on the pavement. "Perhaps a bandage as well, if you have any to spare."
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Tue May 24, 2011 12:21 pm

"It's nice to finally meet you, Mister Cable," replied Nevin, still beaming, "I didn't mean to confuse you and everything. But you really will be a hero! I can see it! I'll tell you about it more later."

Nevin's expression changed from one of joy to that of concern when Cable stood unsteadily. The older boy looked extremely weary as he asked for food and perhaps a bandage. It always saddened Nevin to see people harmed, though ever since the monsters had appeared this seemed to be a more common occurrence. Nevin still didn't understand why the scientists had done so many awful things. He would have been horrified to learn of how people in the Church had utilized technology for their own selfish needs. More terrible still, it would have devastated him to realize that he himself was a child of science, his powers not from Heaven, but from research and augmentation. With his powers, he should have sensed it, but he could not read the thoughts of others, and he continued to believe the lies they had perpetuated.

"Of course you can have food," nodded the child gently, "My friends left me lots of food before they went away."

He knelt to get a look at Cable's injured leg, which was beginning to ooze with blood. His gentle features filled with compassion. He stood and looked up at the young man.

"I can help with your wound if you want me to. It doesn't look too deep," he whispered, "I've learned how to heal from my friends. They said that...I do it better than anyone else. Please, let me help."

He didn't realize that he healed so well because though he used the herbs of the other priests and priestesses, his powers could augment their healing effects and could even meld broken flesh and bone together, though it took strength from his own body to do so.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Tue May 24, 2011 10:14 pm

"...please, let me help." The kid whispered, looking more than a little desperate as he did so. Cabe smiled slightly, but felt awkward in the child's desire to help him. He had far worse injuries in his life, a skinned knee only would stain the jeans. It didn't even hurt.

/It would probably be easier just to accept./ He finally thought, then nodded to the boy. "If you would like to, I accept. Thank you. Be warned though, whatever medicine you have, it probably won't have much of an effect on me. I spent many hours in the emergency room, now anything less than the best-prepared won't affect me." He laughed, his smile inviting the kid to join in. The sudden grin caused light wrinkles to form in the corners of his eyes and in his cheeks, but it lit up his face in a way that would have been hard to believe. Cabe was quick to bring one of those small, not-quite smiles to his face, but rarely a true grin. Nevin had been in for a treat to see that, even if he didn't know so.

"Where would you like me to sit?" He asked, looking around. He would have felt awkward to sit on a pew, seeing as he'd never attended a church service in his life. If that was where the kid wanted him to go, however, he'd deal with it as it came.
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Tue May 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Nevin nodded when Cable said the medicine would have to be the best prepared. Nevin was sure his healing would be able to help Cable greatly, after all, the power of prayer could accomplish many things. When the older boy's face lit up with a smile, Nevin's reciprocated the smile. Indeed, it was hard not to smile when Cable looked so cheerful. It was a far cry from his original tired and exhausted expression, and it warmed Nevin's heart.

When Cable asked where he should sit, Nevin motioned towards the back of the Church, behind the altar.

"There is a bed you can sit on in a room behind the altar. My medicines are there too. When...the Dark Ones came we had to make a place that was safe and where people could be healed if they were hurt. But if you can't walk that far, don't worry. You can sit on one of the pews and I can bring my herbs out here."

Nevin was anxious to help his newfound friend. The blood was running down his leg and though Cable said it was just a scrape, it looked to be quite painful.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Tue May 24, 2011 10:49 pm

"I can make it to the back." Cable replied. It was just a scratch, it wasn't like he had snapped a leg bone or anything. He followed the kid up the long aisle, behind the alter and into the small room. It was rather plain, no decorations, just a wooden bed with a plain blanket on top. There was a counter on one of the sides, with a sink and cupboards both above and below. Cable sat down on the bed. It was by no means comfortable, but it was better than sitting propped up against the door to the church.

Seely should have been here to see this. She had always been so religious. Cabe's parents weren't, much, but Seely had made a friend in elementary school, that took her to the church every Sunday morning for worship. She had believed deeply in the words of the Church, much different from the way Cable had grown up, thinking of the church as obsolete, something past its time and ready to be boxed up and shipped away. Strange how two siblings could grow so differently. Not that that caused seperation between the two kids. They'd been close, and although some fiery debates had been sparked over religion between the two of them, Cabe and Seely had never held grudges. They'd been lucky to have each other, both so strong-willed yet so open-minded.

That was how Seely had said it, at least. Cabe had never thought of himself as open-minded. Just placating. He'd never say they were wrong, but he'd let them think he was agreeing with them. Cabe was a low-key kind of guy. He liked having his fun, but in the end fighting took too much energy to be worth fighting to the death about.
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Wed May 25, 2011 10:01 am

As soon as they reached the room, Nevin began to quickly prepare the things he would need to treat Cable's wound. His sure yet swift movements made it obvious that he knew what he was doing. He had healed so many people in his time that it was almost second nature for him to want to help. Sure, there were newer ways of making medicine; shots, disinfectant creams, bandages, but the Church at least had not gone to that as of yet. And though it was old-fashioned, because of Nevin's unique abilities it did work. Though without science, Nevin would never have possessed the abilities and thus he brought into a vicious circle.

The young acolyte quickly crushed an herb into a small bowl. Immediately, a sweet smelling aroma filled the room.

"This is just to relax you and hopefully make you feel a little better," he said, talking to keep Cable's mind off of the pain, even though he knew it was a small scrape.

Nevin then gently, deftly, rolled the leg of Cable's jeans back. Applying another herb to a slightly damp cloth, he cleaned off the blood and the dirt that had become embedded and swirled together.

"If anything hurts, please just tell me. I don't want to hurt you," he said anxiously as he continued to work, applying a second herb.

As he did so, a soft light began to surround his hands. It was just molecules rubbing against one another as they began to work, but it truly did look like a heavenly glow. The torn flesh slowly began to come together, as if it were of its own accord. In a few moments, not a trace of the wound remained except for the bloody stain on the leg of the jeans. Nevin took a step back, hands loosing their glow. He paused for a brief moment, catching his breath and swaying. In another moment he was fine. Healing minor wounds only left his slightly winded and dizzy for a few moments. Larger wounds, however, had caused him to pass out in the past.

"Is that better?" he asked softly.

Nevin didn't stop to consider that it might be extremely strange for someone outside of the Church to see a young ten year old healing even a minor cut with a simple herb. Not even the other Church members could do that, but they had always attested Nevin's powers to prayers, and believers had faith. The boy didn't realize that not even modern medicine could do exactly what his powers had done, leaving no trace of the wound.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Wed May 25, 2011 9:44 pm

Cabe sat back and relaxed, allowing the boy to do his work as requested. As he had noted before, the cut didn't particularly hurt. So he didn't have to worry as he watched the kid put some ointment on over top, following with another. When he had finished, Cabe wiped off a spot of the creams, taking a look at the skin underneathe.

Clear.

Cable couldn't help but frown at that. He didn't care what kind of herbs the kid used. No matter what, there was no technology great enough to knit skin back together as if a wound never existed. "Thanks," He started off softly, trying to work through the right way to say his words. Nevin had realized what nearly half the population of Oranu had suspected: that they were experimenting with human DNA in those scientists' labs. That was the only way that Cable could explain what had just happened.

"Listen, Nevin. I'm not going to pry." He started carefully. "But as a word of advice, from someone who is used to hiding, well...

"It's not a great idea to show off powers like that to just anyone. The scientists who gave you that power, a stray word will draw them right to you. And I'm guessing you don't want to get caught."

There, he had said it. The poor kid had nothing he could do about it, but he was obviously quite trusting of Cable. If he acted that way towards everyone, there was no way for him to be safe and free. "You don't need to hide things from me, I have no one to tell anything to. But you don't have to pretend you were an acolyte anymore."
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Wed May 25, 2011 11:46 pm

Nevin smiled joyfully when Cable thanked him. It wasn't the thanks that made him so happy, but it was the relief of knowing that Cable was no longer injured. The older boy had been kind to him already and Nevin couldn't bear to see him in pain. When Cable started talking about scientists and not using his powers and pretending to be an acolyte, however, Nevin's happy aura began to fade. What was...Cable talking about?

All his life, Nevin had been raised believing his powers had come from Heaven and through prayer. They had said he was the chosen one, whose prayers were heard the most. They had said he would be the savior to lead them against the Dark Ones, though he had been able to do little. They had promised so many things, promises that now sounded hollow compared to the cold, hard truth. Cable seemed to believe his powers came from the scientists. But if they did...that meant he was a subject of human experimentation. One of the...Dark Ones themselves...But the Church said he was holy...They wouldn't have lied to him, would they? He sank to his knees, tears forming in his eyes as thoughts swirled in his mind. And even as they did, images came unbidden, perhaps of the past? Test tubes...bottles...concoctions...mixtures...gases...chemicals...being born in a white-washed laboratory...disregarded, outcast, only taken in by the Church on a rainy summer day...Were these real memories, augmented by his powers? Or were they just figments of his imagination produced by his sudden hysteria.

"I...But...I....I am...an acolyte...I'm not hiding things from you, honest!" he whispered, finally finding the words to speak, "I am...the Chosen One...t-that's what they said...H-how could my powers come from the scientists who created the Dark Ones? T-that can't be true...P-please...please tell me it's not true. I-I can't believe it! I-I have to have faith. The Lord wouldn't abandon me...T-that wasn't my power. I-it was just the power of prayer working through me. I-I have no powers of my own..."

Nevin's mind was continually reeling. No one had ever before spoken to him of this, never even hinting his powers came from the scientists themselves, the Blasphemers...If this was true...everything he had ever known...ever dreamed...had been a lie...It was too much for a ten year old boy to take...For though he sometimes acted older than his age, he was still a child. Tiny sobs began to wrack his small frame, though he tried to hide them. Why was he crying? He hadn't found the truth to the matter yet anyway...But Cable sounded so sure...
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Thu May 26, 2011 10:18 pm

Cable actually had to take a step back when the kid started panicking. /That's what assuming does for you./ He thought, immediately trying to figure out how he could make amends for what he had said. It wasn't that Cable had suddenly changed his mind in thinking the kid had been taken by the scientists. Rather, he didn't want to hurt the kid when he had obviously grown up thinking of things in a different way. "Okay, okay! Relax, kid." He tried to say soothingly. He kneeled so he could see eye-to-eye. Cable was tall, to say the least. He could see Nevin directly when bending over like this. When he stood at full height, he was nearly 6'2".

"Listen, forgive me. But what you did there with your prayers, there have been rumours floating around for years in my neighbourhood that children were being experimented on. The more...outlandish...theories, they claimed that kids were being given superpowers. Naturally, I was going to jump to this conclusion. I must have been wrong, though. I'm sorry."

/I'm not wrong, I don't think./ He thought, almost quietly, it seemed. /But I don't think the kid is wrong either, now. He fully believes in all these ideas about faith and prayer. Maybe whatever Being is out there is messing with DNA at the same time./

/Ah, well. I can't worry about things I'll never understand. Just have to take it, one day at a time./
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Thu May 26, 2011 11:13 pm

Nevin had to gain control of his own emotions, holding back the tears and looking up when Cable told him to relax. Cable then knelt in front of Nevin, allowing the slight child, a little less than four feet tall, to look him in the eyes. It felt comforting to the young boy and allowed him to take control of his suddenly tumultuous feelings. He listened quietly to Cable's words about the rumors of experimenting on children. That was horrible...Would the Blasphemers even stoop that low? Kidnapping children and experimenting on them? Painful images flashed in his mind, of test tubes and needles once again and he had to fight them. He nearly collapsed, but held onto Cable, resting his head on the stronger boy's shoulder, still trying not to cry. The memories, no...they couldn't be memories..the images were so real, but they had to be wrong! They had to be! And Cable was even saying he himself had just jumped to conclusions. Perhaps this was a test...a test of his faith. If so, he wasn't handling it very well. He finally lifted his head, though he still held tightly to Cable, who was right now a source of emotional support for him. Perhaps he was just tired and weak after being away from his friends..

"Please don't apologize," he whispered, trying to hide the tremble in his voice, "I-it's not your fault at all. I should apologize for acting so badly. I-I shouldn't have acted that way. You were just trying to help me, that's all. I know my friends said the...Blasphemers experimented on people too...B-but they didn't say I was taken away by them....I-I couldn't have been, could I? I've been here ever since I could remember. Unless they used something to make me forget...I don't know...I-I...I'm so confused now...B-because I have these images of...of..."

Here he stopped, unable to describe what he was seeing. Somehow, he felt as if he described them, they would become real, his own memories, and they would become the truth.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Fri May 27, 2011 8:55 am

Cabe let the kid cry it out on his shoulder, even though he felt slightly awkward doing so. It had been his fault to set Nevin off like this anyway, so, he supposed, this was what he had to do to make it up. Either way, the kid had a tight grip, one that Cable might have been able to break, but it wouldn't have done any good to do that, if it just set him off again.

He finally lifted his head, though he still kept a tight grip on Cable. "Please don't apologize," he whispered, voice trembling ever so slightly. "I-it's not your fault at all. I should apologize for acting so badly. I-I shouldn't have acted that way. You were just trying to help me, that's all. I know my friends said the...Blasphemers experimented on people too...B-but they didn't say I was taken away by them....I-I couldn't have been, could I? I've been here ever since I could remember. Unless they used something to make me forget...I don't know...I-I...I'm so confused now...B-because I have these images of...of..."

There the kid went quiet again, but he didn't need to say anymore. Cable, though he hadn't been through it, knew what images the kid was having. "The church wouldn't do that. I was wrong." He said it simply, with conviction. Conviction that he didn't have himself, but it was easy enough to fake well. He didn't say anything more following that, he didn't want to accidentally cause Nevin to start crying again.
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Fri May 27, 2011 1:43 pm

Nevin looked directly into Cable's eyes as the young man simply stated that he was wrong. The Church wouldn't do that. The child too a deep shuddering, breath. Cable was right. There wasn't anything to be worried about. Nevin had acted childishly about a simple statement. It was no wonder Cable had thought his powers came from the scientists, especially if he wasn't a church-going person. And yet...though he could not detect thoughts themselves, Nevin sensed a certain hesitation from Cable, almost a disbelief in his own words. The child shook away these thoughts and feelings, finally steadying himself and letting go of Cable. Finally, a smile returned to his young features, an expression that made him look as if he were really glowing.

"T-thank you, Mister Cable. You're a really nice person. I'm sorry for being so upset. You're right that the Church wouldn't lie to me."

Even if they did leave...

Nevin's eyes widened when he realized he had forgotten about the food he had promised.

"Ah, I'm sorry! I said I would get you some food! Hold on one second," he said, hurrying to prepare a plate of dried bread, cheese, and some well-preserved meat.

It wasn't much, but the food the Church had left behind for Nevin had to be non-perishable, otherwise it wouldn't have lasted long as the Church didn't have refrigerators like many other places.

"I know it's not much," said Nevin as he set the plate before Cable with a glass of water, "But it's really all I have to offer."
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Fri May 27, 2011 11:25 pm

"Thanks." Cable said, with his typical not-quite smile. He took the food with a slight bow of his head in thanks, then set the plate on his lap, rather uncertainly. This was a place of worship, even if he didn't believe in a particular religion, tradition dictated he should give thanks for the food. Finally, he just decided to close his eyes for a second, as if he were giving a silent prayer or a moment of respect before eating. Respect to what, he wasn't sure. /To Nevin. A prayer of thanks for his hospitality./ He justified.

It wasn't the best food he'd ever eaten, but Cable wasn't about to complain. He hadn't had much to eat after being caught at a friend's house when the eclipse fell. Having run out of food, Cabe had decided to go see if he could get home. That hadn't been so. Instead, he ended up here. "Do you have much food here?" He asked. Earlier, the kid had said that there was quite a bit of food. But this dried stuff, it would keep if they could manage to get out of the city. Cabe would be willing to help the child get to some sort of foster home if it meant they'd be out of the city.
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Sat May 28, 2011 11:24 am

Nevin seemed pleased at Cable's small moment of silence, perhaps a prayer of thanksgiving. He could sense that Cable wasn't as quite in awe of the Church as other people. It was kind of him to show respect to something he didn't believe in. Nevin was also happy to help Cable satisfy his hunger, and not just because of the Church's mandate to feed the hungry. The young acolyte already felt as if their destinies were entwined in some way, and he'd be heartbroken if something happened to Cable.

When the young man asked if he had more food, Nevin nodded emphatically. The Church members had at least seen to it that their young ward wouldn't starve when he chose to remain in the city.

"Yes, there is lots of food here in the Church, and I think my friends said it would last a long time. We could bring it with us when we go to find the Temple," said Nevin, his eyes shining.

He quickly looked embarrassed when he realized Cable probably didn't realize what he was talking about.

"I guess....I should tell you the whole prophecy now...You see, when I was just very young I had a vision. I saw you and me...we were going through the mazes of the city looking for a Secret Temple that hasn't been uncovered for thousands of years. This...this cross will help us find the way," said Nevin, holding up a crystal cross, embedded with strange and rare jewels, "It will glow more brightly the closer we are to the Temple. A-and when we get it there, we will be able to cleanse the city from the monsters and it will be a beautiful place once again. I...I know I must sound crazy, but please believe me. You don't have to go with me...I...I'm going no matter what but I had hoped..."

He cut off, leaving his words unfinished.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Sat May 28, 2011 11:25 pm

Cable bit the inside of his cheek to keep himself from showing too much while the kid spoke. He was right: He did sound crazy. Some temple hidden in the city, that can only be found with a crystal cross? It sounded like something that a kid would claim, only if he had read far too many quest novels. This kid though, he had saved Cable from certain death. Cabe was in his debt, and because of that, he had no chioce. Cable always tried to repay his debts.

"I'd been hoping to leave the city behind." Cable told him honestly. "My faith is not nearly as strong as yours. I look around in this city, what I grew up amongst. I see traces of the beauty it had once been, but I cannot imagine it being restored to that beauty. Besides. I don't know if these monsters are the works of scientists or not. But if they are, then the scientists could just create more. You know what I mean?

"I'm sure you mean well. And I swear, if you choose to go on this quest, I will help you. But, once again, my faith is not as strong as yours. Are you sure this prophesy will work? Are you sure that this land can be salvaged?" Cable hadn't meant to make a speech of it all, but most of what he said were valid concerns. Sure, the monsters could be killed off now, but that doesn't mean they'll be gone forever. Another thing he wondered, though he did not put the worry to words, but if 'cleansing' the city really worked, would all the good results of science be destroyed as well?
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Mon May 30, 2011 10:55 am

Nevin nodded in understanding when Cable said he'd rather leave the city behind. This was a sentiment shared among most of the people in the city. But Nevin wasn't like most people. Imbued by science with powers from birth and raised by the Church to believe he was some kind of chosen one, Nevin wanted to confront the problem, not run from it. If the scientists continued their work elsewhere, or if the monsters managed to escape, the destruction could be spread throughout the very world. The young boy shuddered to think of that possibility.

When Cable swore to help him, however, Nevin's face lit up with a brilliant smile. Those were the best words he had heard in a long time. Even though his prophecies had not be wrong before, he had been half afraid this one wouldn't come true, as it was the most outlandish of them all. Even he did not admit to know what would happen should the jeweled cross lead them to the Temple. All that he felt was that something good would come of it.

"I know...it sounds impossible. And I'm not entirely sure what cleansing would do. I don't know if it would restore the city completely to its former beauty. I don't know if it would stop the scientists from working on the monsters again. But I do believe in what the Lord has shown me. If you trust in me, no...trust in the Lord, I just know everything will be fine. I'm so happy you will help me, but I don't want to make you. If you really don't want to come with me, please don't feel like you have to. I would never want you to do something you didn't want to."
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:15 pm

Cable nodded uneasily in response to the last part of the answer. "Listen kid--Nevin--I am going to warn you right now. I grew up in Oranu, which I know is very religious. But I have no opinion when it comes to God. I don't believe that God exists, I don't believe God doesn't exist." Cabe couldn't help but shrug when he said it. It was the truth.

Cable had grown up in Oranu, as had his sister and his parents. They had traced their family lineage back to the founding of the city. Of course, that didn't mean his entire familiy had lived there. Siblings would split off to go raise families away from the city, people who had rebelled against the family, or simply didn't want to live in a city that had such a large religious presence. Cabe would have moved out, in fact, he had been planning to do just that once he had finished high school.

His parents had been religious, as had Seely. But Cabe had had no interest in it. He had been baptised in one of the smaller churches, and his parents had forced him to attend services until the age of thirteen. Following that, Cable had refused to go after a long three years of soul-searching. It was tough for him to go against his parents' wishes but they were very nice about it in the end.
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:47 pm

Nevin nodded solemnly at Cable's reply. He knew there were people who didn't believe in the city, but he couldn't force them to believe. Perhaps if this journey was a success, then Cable would come to have just a little faith.

"I...understand Mister Cable," he nodded, "I'm just very happy you're going to come with me."

He closed his eyes for a moment, thinking quietly. They would have to leave soon. The darkness was spreading and perhaps it would grow enough to even envelop the Church itself. But...Nevin had never been on a long journey before. And though this was a city, it was most inhabitable due to the shifts the eclipse caused and there were most likely few places of refuge. This would be like an adventure into a wilderness of metal and buildings. What would they need?

"We'll need food and water for our journey, right? I think I have enough here. But...what else do we need to go through the city? I know...it might be dangerous so we have to be prepared right?" he asked with wide-eyes, the naivety of a young child still in them.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:04 am

Cable couldn't help but make a face when the kid suggested that they'd need to prepare. He was that eager to go out and risk his life? But Cable owed him. He wouldn't argue if Nevin wanted to leave right away. "Food, water, weapons, those are the 3 basics." Cabe replied, then started listing off others as he ticked fingers on his hand. "Matches in case we need to light a fire. Flashlights and batteries, if you have them. But mostly, food, water, weapons."

"You have to know, Nevin, though. It's not safe out there. We probably won't get many full nights' sleeps. We won't be telling stories around campfires." Cabe cautioned. "It's dangerous out there. My sister was taken by the monsters only a year ago, before the eclipse had even started. Now, it's worse. I know we're doing this for the cleansing of the city or whatever, but don't go glorifying it. If you do, you'll probably only hurt your dignity in the process."

Cabe yawned, he couldn't help it. He hadn't slept well in awhile either, probably due to the very facts he had just stated. But nonetheless, he was on the verge of falling asleep even now, while Nevin was peppering him with questions.
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:23 pm

"Like I said, we do have food and water we can take with us," nodded Nevin as he listened to Cable's list, "But...I don't have many weapons. The Church said we didn't need them. There were some members who didn't listen to that though. I think there are weapons hidden somewhere but I don't know where. We have matches, though we don't have flashlights. I don't think the Church believes in those types of things."

Nevin nodded solemnly when Cable said it would be dangerous. He had known as much from the stories told of the Dark Ones. The eclipse...His eyes filled with unshed tears when Cable said he had lost his sister.

"I'm...so sorry..." he whispered brokenly, the thought of death clearly effecting him.

How could someone so sensitive survive in such a brutal environment. He quickly steeled himself, wiping the tears away.

"I know this isn't going to be fun...I-I know it'll be difficult and dangerous but I have to do it. It's my mission...I just can't leave now."

When Cable yawned, Nevin looked at him with concern.

"Before we go, I think you should get some sleep. You look so tired. Don't worry, I'll stay awake and make sure nobody hurts you," he said, though he didn't realize how laughable it seemed, "Besides, the Church is safe."
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:49 am

"Before we go, I think you should get some sleep. You look so tired. Don't worry, I'll stay awake and make sure nobody hurts you. Besides, the Church is safe."

Cable smiled slightly and nodded his thanks to the boy as he stretched out on the bed and pulled the thin covers over himself. However, it didn't seem to be meant to be for quick slumber that night, as although he was fairly comfortable, warm and dry, all this stuff he'd been forced into just over the last hour or so led to a lot on his mind. Cable couldn't help but continue worrying even as he tried to sleep.

Rolling over on his side, Cable wondered whether this 'mission' were one of salvation or of folly. The kid seemed determined, but just as he had mentioned Seely being taken by monsters, he had been about to burst into tears. Someone who faced death in such a manner, even for someone he didn't know; that was something to worry about. And Cable was supposed to protect him? The boy wasn't past 12. He had no muscles developed, his short legs led to slow running, and if he didn't believe in technology...Cable didn't care what the church thought, technology would be a necessity for this task. At least, guns and flashlights. He'd be damned if he thought they could survive by carrying torches all day and night.

But despite his uneasy mind, Cable's eyes slid their gaze up into his skull as the thoughts slid away, taking him into a deep, dreamless sleep. It was something he needed quite badly. Hopefully Nevin wasn't in too much of a hurry, Cable could use every second of that sleep and put it to good use.
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:20 pm

As Cable slept, the child knelt in silent prayer, trying to make some sense of his own thoughts. Cable's initial reaction to his strange powers, branding them as from the scientists, had stirred hidden memories in his own heart, memories that had long been locked away. He wanted to forget them, and prayer was his distraction at the moment, though he'd be ashamed to admit it. But if what Cable suspected was true, then was he just walking into a trap or their death? Was everything the Church had told him a truly a lie?

Dear Lord, give me strength...

At the moment, he would follow his instincts, and follow his heart. Even if the Church was false, his feelings and his powers were true, were they not? He had to prepare then. As Cable slept, Nevin began gathering the food in durable bags that they could carry on their backs along with containers of pure, sweet water from the natural spring that welled up beneath the temple. He actually found a flashlight, old and decrepit, underneath a worn pew. It was if he was led there, and he wasn't sure if it was through his prayer or by some chance of fate. He wasn't sure how to work the thing, but he had seen them before and knew that Cable would know what to do with it. He then set about to find the secret cache of weapons mentioned in rumors. Before he had trusted the Church and not looked into it anymore. But now...things seemed urgent and if there really was a weapons cache it would help them...and it would mean the church had lied. He shuddered, trying not to think about it. A few hours later, he stood in shock as he stared at a weapons horde, hidden beneath a statue, a false door....He bit back a sob. Why had they lied to him? What was going on here? He didn't understand. He turned back to the Church, sinking into a pew, his thoughts rapidly firing through his mind. It was only then he fell into a light slumber, forgetting his promise to be watchful in his exhaustion.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Cable ended up sleeping fitfully through the night, waking several times despite his need for a good night sleep. Perhaps that was the price to pay, after such a long time of paranoia, it was finally deciding to stop him from sleeping.

So one time upon waking, Cable realized that the boy had fallen asleep. Understandable, the kid had to be tired as well. He had looked to be praying for a long time when Cable had entered the church. So instead of waking the kid, he pushed himself out of the bed quietly, then headed out to the main part of the church.

Now that he had time to get used to it, Cabe couldn't help but think of his sister when he started poking around. She would have loved to explore the biggest church in Orana. Everything was old, but clean. And magnificent. The church had had money, and plenty of it. Stained glass windows lined the seating area, some panes empty of glass and merely with plastic bags taped over instead. Indeed, there were some signs of damage taken over the past few years. If anything could have escapen that, even this apparently-blessed church that repelled monsters; well Cable would have been impressed.

He sat on one of the pews, the wood stained and polished to what would have been a bright sheen before the rest of the caretakers had left. The books were still in their places, most of them. Cable took out a bible and thumbed through it, but didn't read. Instead he sighed quietly, closing it once more and placing it back on the rack that was built into the back of the pew in front.

Proud and strong, this church seemed to have withstood everything science had to throw at them. As pro-science Cable had been, he had to give the church kudos, to stay proud and holy, in times when less and less people would have believed in the Words of the Lord.
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:26 am

Nevin blinked and opened his eyes to the light of dawn, streaming through one of the stained glass windows in a kaleidoscope of colors. He jumped to attention when he realized he had dozed, despite his promise to stand watch. He stood up and saw Cable sitting in one of the pews. Rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, he quickly approached the young man.

"I'm sorry...I fell asleep too..." he said apologetically, "It's fortunate our guardian angels were with us."

After the revelations of the night before, even those words sounded hollow in his own ears.

"I gathered all the food and water and I actually found a flashlight," he said eagerly, handing Cable the worn out device, because he still had not figured out how to turn it on, "There...are.."

Nevin struggled with the words for a moment, his eyes leaking the sadness he was beginning to feel inside.

"I found the weapons too..." he whispered, "I don't know how to use them...or what they are...I just...know they're weapons. I can show you if you want."

The secret cache had been there for quite some time, he knew. He had seen the dust and the cobwebs. How long had he been deceived? If it was only recent, perhaps not everything had been a lie, but...
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:23 am

Cable smiled and shook his head when the kid apologized for falling asleep. It was understandable, it took willpower to keep oneself awake when tired. Hopefully the kid would learn this quickly, as Cable wouldn't be pulling all the weight in this endeavor.

He went on to talk about weapons he had found, and the betrayal was clear in his voice. "I can show you if you want."

"I would like that." Cable replied, hesitating for a moment before adding, "Your church, people came in and out of it, Nevin. When the monsters began to appear, there was no choice but to protect oneself." It was the best he could say, under the circumstances. Obviously the kid wasn't happy about it. Honestly, it surprised Cable that the kid had such a...deluded sense of how the world worked.
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruu Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:35 pm

Nevin forced a smile at Cable's words, touched that his new friend was so sensitive of his feelings. But he couldn't run from the truth anymore. Even if he was only 10, he knew he had a simplistic view of the world. He needed to find what was true, and he couldn't be afraid. He had to be strong.

"Thank you, Sir Cable," he said softly, "But...you don't have to spare my feelings. I'm beginning to feel that a lot of the things they told me were wrong. I still believe in their message, in peace and love, but...I'm not sure if I can believe everything else."

With these words, he led Cable to the secret weapons stash. The room was dark and musty, but Nevin held up his hand. He closed his eyes, exciting particles in the air, filling the room with a dull glow, enough for both of them to see. The light produced was ethereal, ephemeral, as if had a divine origin.

"Will...any of these help us?" he asked anxiously, unsure of what any of them did.
Ruu
Ruu
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkGoddess Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:46 pm

"Just call me Cable, or better, Cabe." He insisted as the kid called him sir. Sir? Seriously? He wasn't THAT old! But nonetheless, he followed the kid into a small room that smelled vaguely of cedar that had sat for at least a decade. Nevin held up his hands and a dull glow filled the air, surely the cause of the kid. Cable was sure that the kid was science-bred. Not with powers granted from some unseen source. That wasn't just his lack of faith speaking either. The signs were all there, matching the whispered rumours that had passed back and forth from the kids at school who were the children of scientists.

"Will...any of these help us?"

The room was filled with guns, more than enough to last them, Cabe was sure. Immediately, he went to compare his gun that he had figured out first. That gun was his baby, he knew how hard the kick was, where to aim to compensate for the slight offput in his own gun. If there were bullets to match his gun, they'd be far more safe than carrying the hunting rifles.

Luckily, they were safe. He had plenty of clips for refilling, which got them set. He grabbed his backpack and loaded all the clips for his gun. Also, he took another small gun and the clips that went with that. He had no idea of the names for them, but he knew what worked for him.

"Nevin, your...faith. Could you use it to defend us from the monsters?" Cable asked, still looking for supplies. If not, he didn't want to risk the kid getting hurt after disappearing around the corner. Percautions would have to be made.
DarkGoddess
DarkGoddess
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next