FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Do you believe in ghosts?

+28
cheeseface
DefaniMartin
Dreamless Days
ItalyLinda
Lost Dreams
Nihilisil
DarkGoddess
Bird of Hermes
MidsummerMermaid
KimmyCool
IWroteASongForYou
Dax
NotAliceInHerWonderland
Silvan Arrow
Gadreille
Barbarossa
Resurrection Vic
Squall Reyes
KineticAsparagus
Ragter the junior greeter
Adrius Frostglare
Psychotic Felix
Zelda
Kalon Ordona II
vitamin_kitten
Reffy
Kathryn Lacey
Fate Flyer
32 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do you believe ghosts are real?

Do you believe in ghosts? Votele1054%Do you believe in ghosts? Voteri10 54% 
[ 26 ]
Do you believe in ghosts? Votele1025%Do you believe in ghosts? Voteri10 25% 
[ 12 ]
Do you believe in ghosts? Votele1021%Do you believe in ghosts? Voteri10 21% 
[ 10 ]

Total Votes : 48

Do you believe in ghosts? Empty Do you believe in ghosts?

Post by Fate Flyer Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:55 pm

This is just a poll to determine how many of us believe in ghosts and how many don't. If you wish to discuss it further or debate the topic, please do so in this thread.

I do believe in ghosts, mainly because of my own experiences with the paranormal through EVP captures.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer
★ Administrator & FoG Mother ★

Female

http://trynethetimetraveler.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Do you believe in ghosts? Empty Re: Do you believe in ghosts?

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:11 am

I believe in ghosts because of the personal experiences of myself and my family members.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Reffy Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:24 pm

Believe in and have seen a few Smile Mostly harmless. One scared me but think it was only because it wanted me and my friend to see it.

Reffy
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

http://awritersrecluse.proboards.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by vitamin_kitten Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:28 am

I don't believe in ghosts per se, but I believe in spirits.
vitamin_kitten
vitamin_kitten
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:28 pm

I don't believe in the traditional idea of human ghosts. I believe in spirits--different kinds of angels, and of course demonic spirits. I believe Familiar spirits are demons, but I also believe angels can also take the form of someone we know. There are some easy ways to tell the difference.
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Post by Zelda Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:35 pm

I believe it's improbable for anything to not exist.
Zelda
Zelda
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:38 pm

That's good to have an open mind about all things. Nod
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychotic Felix Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Well in my own personal opinion i don't believe Ghost are what people say they are these days, i do believe that there are spiritual beings that are all over the earth. Angels and Demons. and i believe that is what so many people hear and see.i have personally seen someone who was possessed in a small case and i don't think that just because we see a "ghost" or "demon or angel" that were in trouble or anything, i just think that God allows us to see those things so we from time to time know what is around us. that's just my own opinion though ^^
Psychotic Felix
Psychotic Felix
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:49 pm

I've heard that theory on them as well. :] I'm not sure what to think, myself, though I am not a religious person, personally, so I can't really view it so much from that perspective, though I could always be wrong!
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:54 pm

Like Zelda, I tend to believe anything CAN happen. Not that it will, not that it has, but can. We do not know everything or, in reality, anything. All we do is believe. Even when we think we know something, it is belief.

I think ghosts could exist. There certainly would be explanations for them. I won't go into details, but the thought is intriguing.
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://adriusfrostglare.deviantart.com/  (Deviant Art profile)

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:11 am

I personally believe ghosts exist.

Never seen one, and likely, never will, but let's face it, not everyone in the world could be lying about seeing ghosts.
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by KineticAsparagus Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:58 pm

I don't. I don't believe in a soul, I don't believe in spirits, I don't believe in an afterlife. I'm a materialist through and through, and I believe that once you're dead then you're dead. I fully believe that all "paranormal" experiences can be explained psychologically or scientifically... although I won't deny that some of these answers haven't been found and might not ever be.

And I will debate this kind of thing to the high heavens xD
KineticAsparagus
KineticAsparagus
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:35 pm

So...in your opinion, everything paranormal in the world that happens to someone can be explained by science? :p
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KineticAsparagus Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:39 pm

Yup =] Psychology or science. I'm not saying it can literally at this moment in time be explained, I'm saying that there is, somewhere, a discovered or undiscovered explanation.

By science, I don't mean things like 1 + 1 = 2, I mean things like... well, I can't really explain it because I don't understand any of it, all I can really do is show you sources and stuff. I mean ridiculous things, like... the idea that something can indeed come from nothing, even the concept of nothingness itself. People tend to get weighed down under things with numbers, but why does all science need a formula? It doesn't. It might have them. I'm not going to assume that everything does, though...

My head's beginning to melt a little xD
KineticAsparagus
KineticAsparagus
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:42 pm

Just a tip, Science =/= Math Wink

If there is an explanation for everything, then explain why people can feel like they're getting strangled or attacked, when they're perfectly awake and someone else is there with them seeing the attack happen, and after the attack is over, some sort of physical trauma/damage is in the exact spot where the attack happened.
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KineticAsparagus Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:47 pm

I can't, personally. But I'm sure people can. I'll have to look further into that one =P

But I'll say it many a time... never underestimate the power of the subconscious mind. I know it sounds utterly ridiculous, but it's still feasible. Moreso, I find, than... some sort of supernatural being.

It's a bit late for me to be getting into this, I'm sleepy xD I'll come back with proper information tomorrow.
KineticAsparagus
KineticAsparagus
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:50 pm

Ragter, she specifically stated that she can't explain all of it, so why would you expect her to be able to explain that scenario? Everyone has her or his own beliefs, and she was just giving hers.

I agree with you that the subconscious mind can be a powerful thing, and that people can feel things that aren't happening or see things that aren't there even if there's no supernatural or psychic connection. The mind is a very powerful tool, and people have yet to truly tap into its mysteries.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Squall Reyes Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:27 pm

I believe in ghost thanks to the experiences I've had, and shared with others including my own family. Now I'm not saying I'm a blind believer who takes everything he can't explain and chalks it to the paranormal. My rational mind would hate itself for that. However it always has come down to the realization that to assume that everything you see in front of you is what you get is foolish. As it is foolish to believe are are alone in an ever expanding universe. Have they come to visit us though? I leave that one up to you.
Squall Reyes
Squall Reyes
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:45 pm

:p Sorry, but I can't help but to describe a scenario like that where it's kinda impossible for something psychological like that to happen, y'know, a person seeing and feeling the attack happen, while another person also sees the attack happen, I'm no expert, but that seems kinda rare.

I'll just drop it though, it's not a big deal.
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KineticAsparagus Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:21 am

Okay, it's now a reasonable thinking hour and I've more-or-less remembered my argument for this.

Firstly, I'll have to establish a definition of "ghost". I take it for granted that we're talking about the... "other" part of people that isn't the body (which I don't believe exists), separated from its former shell after the body itself stops working.

"Spirits" I won't argue with, because... I can't. I don't disbelieve, but as there is no hard evidence to establish that they do exist (apart from my favourites, the ones with high percentages) then I have no comment. But my viewpoint here will be explained a bit more with the next bit.

Secondly, as I've said before, I'm a materialist. I firmly believe that we are electrical signals and chemistry and flesh and blood and bone and no more. I don't believe somebody can be born evil, I don't believe somebody can be born... anything, really. Apart from things like transgendered and, to an extent, gay or straight or whatever. I haven't made up my mind about the last bit, though, I haven't read into it nearly enough. So, clearly, the idea of a "soul", however you choose to define that, is, for me, redundant.

However - and this is might sound quite weak now, woopdeedoo xD - I cannot and absolutely will not rule out the possibility of these "ghosts" being... alive. Existing. But not as the... leftovers from what was previously some form of conscious, living, breathing life. We can't find... what, 75% of the universe? If I may be so bold as to take these theories (which I won't pretend to be able to understand) as true... well, there's quite clearly shitloads that we don't know. These "ghosts" could be some form of life, they could be another state of matter, they could be something nobody's even started to dream up yet. I don't know. Nobody knows.

And at this point, psychology pays a visit. Your senses deceive you every day in one way or another. People take from things what they want to take from them, they hear what they want to hear so as to suit best themselves, whatever their intentions or motives (subconscious or otherwise) may be. It's not even slightly far out to suggest that the perception of "ghosts" is false, or misconstrued at best.

And on a side note... I'd really appreciate it if you didn't take me for a fool, Ragter. Your tone seems to suggest that I haven't thought myself through, but... well, shit like this is basically all I think about xD I'm just not very good at writing it down, sometimes. I think in pictures, sometimes stuff gets lost in translation =P
KineticAsparagus
KineticAsparagus
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Resurrection Vic Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:51 am

Ragter the junior greeter wrote::p Sorry, but I can't help but to describe a scenario like that where it's kinda impossible for something psychological like that to happen, y'know, a person seeing and feeling the attack happen, while another person also sees the attack happen, I'm no expert, but that seems kinda rare.

I just had to point out that this reminds me of false pregnancies, those situation where a woman so yearns for a child that her body begins to display all the signs of pregnancy, enough so as to deceive all but the sonogram. It's considered a physcological disorder.

As to ghosts, spirits and such; I know there are somethings we can't explain, like why your hand itches and you get money (I chalk it to coincidence, but my family says the hand thing was a sign....somebody owes me money then). I believe that people like to comfort themselves with thoughts and ideas that have been taught to them from the generations before them. I don't believe my cat will steal the soul of my child (future and/or completely hypothetical) as it sleeps. I have experienced a comforing sensation when I was alone, a feeling that reminded me of my departed great grandfather, but it could aslo have been remembering his strength so that I could find my own.

I do beleive that ours isn't necesarily the only word nor plan of existence. I still believe that death brings rotting and the returning of your elements to Earth, comservation of matter and all. I don't believe in an afterlife and so cannot fully accept spirits and ghosts of the departed. I don't believe in heaven or hell, so I cannot accept, given my beliefs, that there are spirits that "haven't passed on" because I know not where they're passing to. I do, however, believe in karma, the ills you sow in your lifetime will return upon you before or when you die.

Resurrection Vic
Shadow
Shadow

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:03 pm

I don't take you for a fool though :/ sorry if it seemed as such.

Let me revise my statement. It's entirely possible for ghosts to exist, and I believe one side or the other could be right. I'm just biased in the 'ghost exists' side being right Wink
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbarossa Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:33 pm

Just kicking in to give an opinion.

As others have said, I don't think "Ghosts" exist in the way film, literature and such view them, as the soul and memories... or whatever... But I am inclined to believe in the remnants of a human in...maybe a spirit form?

I am not a scientist, do not take this word for word. I may, and probably have gone wrong here. I am going from what I have heard, have thought for myself from things I have learned.

I think it comes down to the 'Law of Conservation of Energy,' which, very abbreviated, says that new energy cannot be created, but also the energy in 'circulation' cannot be destroyed, and can only change its form, in what type of energy it is.

I am not debating whether a 'soul' exists, but if it does I would think, as everything, it would be made of energy. And that energy would abide by the Law of Conservation and would have to... pass on at sometime, that sometime being after death... This being, whatever makes a human conscious, cannot be destroyed and, being that I do not believe in Heaven or Hell, I am inclined to think it must either become something else or just move about.

So a Spirit would, in essence, be the consciousness of a human shooting about. Or that consciousness, being the soul, would become heat, light, gravity... whatever. Anyway, I digress.

I believe in "Spirits" not ghosts.

I hope that made sense; if not, I'm only young so leave me alone. Razz
Barbarossa
Barbarossa
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:34 pm

That made no sense at all! You should be ashamed >:O

...I'm kidding, lighten up!

Anyways, the media's blown it out of proportion about what ghosts are, at least, TV and movies have. Most movies have every single ghost be evil and powerful, able to throw a bunch of junk around everywhere.

As for that energy thing..that is definitely interesting, because if it's true, that is some prove right there that some sort of us do keep on going after we die. Everything is made up of matter, and matter is energy, right? So that, combined with that Law of Conservation of Energy, should prove scientifically we live on in a form.
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:18 pm

I actually find your theory to be extremely interesting, Barbarossa. That sounds incredibly logical to me, especially because technology like cameras and those temperature recorder things can reveal spirits. It also makes sense because people can feel the energy of another presence even when they cannot see that presence.

I honestly think I'm inclined to agree with you about that theory. It makes so much sense to me that I believe it, too.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Fate Flyer Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:28 pm

Barbarossa wrote:Just kicking in to give an opinion.

As others have said, I don't think "Ghosts" exist in the way film, literature and such view them, as the soul and memories... or whatever... But I am inclined to believe in the remnants of a human in...maybe a spirit form?

I am not a scientist, do not take this word for word. I may, and probably have gone wrong here. I am going from what I have heard, have thought for myself from things I have learned.

I think it comes down to the 'Law of Conservation of Energy,' which, very abbreviated, says that new energy cannot be created, but also the energy in 'circulation' cannot be destroyed, and can only change its form, in what type of energy it is.

I am not debating whether a 'soul' exists, but if it does I would think, as everything, it would be made of energy. And that energy would abide by the Law of Conservation and would have to... pass on at sometime, that sometime being after death... This being, whatever makes a human conscious, cannot be destroyed and, being that I do not believe in Heaven or Hell, I am inclined to think it must either become something else or just move about.

So a Spirit would, in essence, be the consciousness of a human shooting about. Or that consciousness, being the soul, would become heat, light, gravity... whatever. Anyway, I digress.

I believe in "Spirits" not ghosts.

I hope that made sense; if not, I'm only young so leave me alone. Razz

Oh, wow. It's so insane that you say that, since only a few days ago, while I was exercising (no idea - makes sense for what it is, I guess), I was thinking about how energy is never destroyed and that is is just converted to heat.

I, too, really like your theory. I agree that it does seem rather realistic.
Fate Flyer
Fate Flyer

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:57 pm

I love that. It's basically the theory used in His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. All life, when it dies, turns into 'dust', a subatomic particle that is basically the life force of the world. I guess I believe in it...even though it is from a fairy tale.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Barbarossa Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:50 pm

I'm glad it made sense, because in the past, I have discussed most thoughts and beliefs and I like to base them on evidence that anyone can understand.

- Not that personal experience isn't evidence, it's just many people don't value that as substantial proof. -
Barbarossa
Barbarossa
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrius Frostglare Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:46 pm

Ye best start believin' in ghost forums, Mr. Barbossa. You're in one!
Adrius Frostglare
Adrius Frostglare
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

http://adriusfrostglare.deviantart.com/  (Deviant Art profile)

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:02 pm

I currently don't believe in ghosts, seeing as I have never had any sort of paranormal encounter with one or have heard any eyewitness accounts from anyone. As a Christian, I do, however, believe in spirits in the sense that humans have souls which are eternal, in angels and demons, and in heaven and hell. That said, I certainly won't bash anyone who believes in ghosts, and I am open to being persuaded otherwise.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next