FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Going to the Zoo

4 posters

Go down

Going to the Zoo Empty Going to the Zoo

Post by Kalon Ordona II Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:17 am

I'm off to the Zoo tomorrow morning. (well, today morning, by now)
It's in Oregon, so it's a small family-and-friends trip -- me and and some of my siblings + one of our good friends. Leu-Mas Drof on this site, actually. ^^

Loads of fun. Expect pictures. ^^

I'll try especially to see if there are wolves, for SilvanArrow. Aww Aroo.

I'll be gone all day, so I'll see you all later! cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

http://www.elfwood.com/~linkallon

Back to top Go down

Going to the Zoo Empty Re: Going to the Zoo

Post by Guest Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:04 am

Well, at least I know not to bother with any new summoning techniques for you...

Have lots of fun! Can't wait to see some pictures Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:50 pm

I hope you have a lot of fun! And do tell us about the visit, when you're back! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:53 am

Yeah, I'm unavailable again today. I was home yesterday, but I had a lot of other stuff to catch up on. Today I'm doing a mock jury and I also work. Hopefully it isn't my turn yet in Emoria. Razz

See you all later! I'll upload some of the Zoo pics soon. cheers
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Awww...I feel special ^_^. I sure hope you found some wolves at the zoo! But please post pictures either way! Hope you had fun cheers
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:19 am

Pictures aren't up yet; they're dragging their feet uploading them into the computer. If it was my camera, it'd be here already. ^^ (I have too much other stuff to save up for to get my own camera. Razz Like what, you ask? Well, like... Monster Hunter Tri, Metroid: Other M, a new Wiimote... ...where was I?)

We did indeed find some wolves at the Zoo... although there were only two, and it wasn't a very good angle, but we did get some good shots, I think.

Anyway, at the Zoo, it was Discount Day. I figure that's why they were cleaning the penguins' pool and sprucing up the lions' place and taking care of the monkeys, etcetera. So we didn't see any lions or monkeys, and there was only one penguin sitting there in one of the caves in their little rock sculpture that must be something like an embassy of theirs within the human lands. xD

It was fun, though. We went through the North American section first, past the mountain goats and to the eagles' roost and stuff. Saw a little bobcat and a malnourished mountain lion which the zoo rescued. And there was another larger mountain lion asleep in the corner. Probably because of Discount Day, again. xD

There was a lorikeet place where these loud, rainbow-colored birds would squawk at you and lap up a bit of nectar in a sample-cup. ^^ We didn't buy any (they were $1.00 each); we got the ones people left behind. xD

We skipped the bug zoo, then went to the seals. This one kept doing loop after loop in front of the window. It was awesome the first dozen times. It was still doing it when we came to view the top of the pool several minutes later. Laughing Poor guy must do this every day of the year. It was so great to see him rub up against the huge glass underwater, though.

There were tigers. Resting. In a corner. I blame Discount Day. Still awesome!! Go tigers!! cheers

Let's see... there was the huge Africa section. There was a giraffe; that was neat. He didn't do much. Discount Day? Razz There were gazelle/antelope-like thingies. I had no idea their bodies and legs were so thin. It was just like Elliot (Ashton Kutcher)'s deer girlfriend Giselle in the movie Open Season. Seriously; I couldn't believe it.

We watched the fruit bats for quite a while. Fascinating creatures. We were watching one of them washing itself by licking its wing and then rubbing its wing on its head over and over. And they fly! I know, right?

Hyenas apparently like to play follow-the-leader. There were three, just walking around in single file. It was cute. ...until one recalls that their jaws are some of the most powerful on earth. xD It seems they have quite a high success rate for hunts: a whopping 70-90% for hyenas, compared with around 14%, I think it was, for lions.

One great part of the day was the demonstration of birds of prey in flight. Stage demonstration with the audience seated on a big lawn. It was cute; they started off with an archeologist gal at a dig. Her fossil got snatched by a red-tailed hawk and flown offstage, whereupon the birds-of-prey advocate gal appeared, and there ensued a fun little argument about the merits of dinosaurs versus birds of prey. (Except, the way it was set up, it felt more like a sermon on Evolution. Rolling Eyes ) They had lots of cute puns, too. Aww One running gag was that whenever they said "Aw, rats!" two white rats would appear and walk from one end of the stage to another, up high on a vine-like thing, to the accompaniment of the Indiana Jones theme. lol! Anyway they demonstrated a lot of different birds. There were a few vultures, an owl -- which didn't fly; they only showed it to us -- there were different kinds of hawks, there was a golden eagle, there was another vulture who could do a trick with the donations: putting them in the box. One of the hawks caught something tossed to it out of midair; that was something! The finale was a bald eagle with an 8' wingspan. Awesome. ^^

There was more to our Zoo trip, but I'll save it for when I get the pictures. Very Happy
Sadly, the person with the camera forgot to bring the charge cable, so the battery ran out and we weren't able to get nearly as many pictures as we would have liked. I'll try to remember as much as I can about the stuff we don't have pictures for, which includes much of the story already.

Great fun, even if it wasn't perfect. We got in for $4.00 each instead of $10.50, so it was totally worth it. xD
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:13 am

Whoop, whoop! Sounds like a lot of fun you guys had! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:28 pm

Yay! You found wolves! I hope you post pictures of them! Your seal story reminds me of a seal I saw at the zoo in Washington D.C. three years ago. I kept making the same loop in its tank and then just stared at this random pipe thingy for minutes at a time. I actually did a research project on what scientists call "zoochosis," which is where captive animals engage in stereotyped behaviors due to lack of mental and/or physical enrichment and small enclosures. I could go into "animal lecture mode" for hours, but I'll spare you guys the details ^_^.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by xraineyesx Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:49 pm

I totally wasn't even around enough to know you were MIA, Kalon. Wow. But that sounds like a lot of fun, and I totally want to go to the zoo now!

Glad your back. I can't wait to see some pictures!
xraineyesx
xraineyesx
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalon Ordona II Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:18 am

There are 58 images here, so depending on your computer it might be a while before it all loads. Smile
Enjoy!

Going to the Zoo Zoo01

Going to the Zoo Zoo02

Going to the Zoo Zoo03

Going to the Zoo Zoo04n

Going to the Zoo Zoo05

Going to the Zoo Zoo06

Going to the Zoo Zoo07

Going to the Zoo Zoo08

Going to the Zoo Zoo09

Going to the Zoo Zoo10l

Going to the Zoo Zoo11

Going to the Zoo Zoo12n

Going to the Zoo Zoo13

Going to the Zoo Zoo14t

Going to the Zoo Zoo15

Going to the Zoo Zoo16

Going to the Zoo Zoo17

Going to the Zoo Zoo18

Going to the Zoo Zoo19

Going to the Zoo Zoo20

Going to the Zoo Zoo21

Going to the Zoo Zoo22

Going to the Zoo Zoo23

Going to the Zoo Zoo24

Going to the Zoo Zoo25

Going to the Zoo Zoo26

Going to the Zoo Zoo27

Going to the Zoo Zoo28

Going to the Zoo Zoo29

Going to the Zoo Zoo30

Going to the Zoo Zoo31

Going to the Zoo Zoo32

Going to the Zoo Zoo33

Going to the Zoo Zoo34

Going to the Zoo Zoo35

Going to the Zoo Zoo36y

Going to the Zoo Zoo37

Going to the Zoo Zoo38

Going to the Zoo Zoo39

Going to the Zoo Zoo40

Going to the Zoo Zoo41

Going to the Zoo Zoo42

Going to the Zoo Zoo43f

Going to the Zoo Zoo44

Going to the Zoo Zoo45

Going to the Zoo Zoo46

Going to the Zoo Zoo47

Going to the Zoo Zoo48

Going to the Zoo Zoo49

Going to the Zoo Zoo50

Going to the Zoo Zoo51

Going to the Zoo Zoo52

Going to the Zoo Zoo53

Going to the Zoo Zoo54

Going to the Zoo Zoo55

Going to the Zoo Zoo56

Going to the Zoo Zoo57

Going to the Zoo Zoo58
Kalon Ordona II
Kalon Ordona II
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:54 am

Whats really ironic with the Jacksonville Zoo. In Florida.. We have Penguins!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:03 pm

Great pics, Kalon!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:16 pm

Aye, great pictures! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:37 pm

Looks like so much fun! Nice pictures too. Man, I haven't been to a zoo since I was little. XD
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:51 pm

WHEEEEE!!!!!! Wolfies!!!! I love the black one! He/she looks just like Tanasi, one of the wolves in the pack that I work with at my job. Oooh...a scarlet kingsnake too! And the otters are so cute! It looks like you all had a wonderful time ^_^
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum