FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Xenophobia~~ Love the Fear

+3
Ethereal
Crazy Hobo
Chainlinc3
7 posters

Go down

Xenophobia~~ Love the Fear Empty Xenophobia~~ Love the Fear

Post by Chainlinc3 Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:41 pm

(Too long? Skip to the box that says "Xenophobia" below, which should give you enough background to decide if you want to bother reading it all.)

[City 997-- March 31st, 2050 3 PM]\\\\\\\\
City 997 Public University, Central Campus------------------------->
------------------------------------------------------------------/
It was another boring day of class at Uni for Tim. He wondered, for the umpteenth time, why they hadn't used a more inventive naming system for government organizations. Even the bad-ass projects like superluminal travel were delegated simply to "Project:" followed by a random hash-code. Why not name it something awesome, like, "Operation Terminatus" or something? The world may never know.

The bell rang, interrupting his reverie and signaling the end of class. That was the one good thing about today-- He had Corollary Metaphysics with Dr. Mendoza now. Dr. Mendoza was by far his favorite teacher, and then there was the fact that the class dealt mostly with technology recovered from the Devastation. In other words, they were working highly volatile, barely understood technology that was prone to cause instant epicness at a moment's notice. So between an awesome teacher and interesting curriculum, there wasn't a lot that Tim disliked about Corollary Metaphysics. He technically had a half-hour before the class started, but he was hoping to chat with the Doc before class, maybe even sneak a peak at his latest project.

A short time later, he arrived in the lab where Dr. Mendoza taught the class. Officially, it was taught in a small room on the other side of campus, but Doc always opted to teach in his personal lab both for convenience and because his lab contained better safety equipment. Tim knocked lightly on the door, and a few seconds later he heard the fumbling of keys in the lock before it swung open to reveal Dr. Mendoza, who wasted no time inviting him in.

"Come in, come in. I was just wondering when you would get here. I could use an extra pair of hands in the lab-- I'm trying to open up a piece of tech that the drones just retrieved from Australia, but all scans indicate that the panel in question needs to be lifted evenly out of position. If it tilts, the containment will destabilize and I would rather not find out what's being contained the hard way."

Tim nodded.

"Sounds like a good plan. Let me suit up and I'll be right over."

Without another word, Tim slipped into a modified pre-Devastation hazmat suit. It was standard procedure when dealing with potentially Tainted artifacts, and the suits had been reinforced to protect from the dangers of dealing with recovered techs. He then headed over to the Doc, who was already suited up and was examining the artifact on the examining table. It looked almost like an operating room, bright lights from above illuminating a stainless steel table, all bounded within a large plexiglass box to dampen any violent emissions.

Tim easily took his place opposite Doc and glanced down at the two magnetic grips that had been applied on his side of the device. Opening containment devices was always tricky-- The panel could be removed without disrupting the energy field inside, but it had to be held at the exact same orientation to the device until it was outside of the critical zone. If it was reoriented within the critical zone, the radiation it emitted would bombard the energy field unevenly, thus fueling the field more in one part than another, causing it to burst outward violently and release whatever was inside in a directed blast out the widest gap between the containment device and the plate. Often times, the released material was worse than the burst itself.

He took a deep breath to steady his nerves, then reached for the grips and nodded to the Doc, who took hold of his a split second later.

"3... 2... 1... Lift."

Tim slowly lifted his side, matching Dr. Mendoza's rate perfectly. As they lifted, Tim spotted something that unnerved him.

"Doc, there's tubing still attached on your side."

Dr. Mendoza looked down and saw the black tube-like connection that was indeed still stretching from the plate back to the containment device proper. Tim was slightly alarmed by the situation: over 90% of accidents in the labs were related to un-severed tubing. Dr. Mendoza carefully released one hand and reached towards the tool tray.

"Ok, I'll just get the scalpel and slice through --"

And that was that. The Doc's hand dipped just a hair too much, and the containment chamber ruptured violently towards Tim, blasting him off his feet and through the plexiglass wall behind him. It was then that Tim recognized the glow that had sprayed at him-- low payload antimatter. The antimatter had coated his hazmat suit and reacted before he had even landed from the initial blast, engulfing him in pain before the world went dark.

Seemingly a short time later, Tim awoke. He was surrounded by those in his class who were more medically inclined, namely the girls if his memory served, but it was hard to tell with his vision as blurry as it was. Well, except for Naomi. A blind man could see her rack.

"Damn... How long have I been out?"

A blur of orangey-red swam in front of his vision, and a feminine voice responded.

"A little over an hour."

He recognized the voice-- Alicia. She was friendly enough, but she and Tim just didn't really hang in the same social circles. That wasn't to say that hadn't exchanged a handful of meaningful glances in the time they had known each other, but they never really became good friends. Tim squinted his eyes, and his vision began to focus.

"Fuck. Is the mess cleaned up?"

Timothy started to get up, but only got so far as sitting up in bed before he felt Alicia's hands restraining him.

"It's under control. Doc's still cleaning it up somewhat, but the whole class is helping him. You just need to rest."

Her hands felt cool on his bare chest. Wait... Bare chest? Heather, a girl who really was much more of a doctor than a scientist, saw his bewilderment and spoke up.

"Your hazmat suit was shredded, so we had to strip you down to your boxers in order to get at the injuries."

Naomi chipped in at this point, a playful tone in her voice.

"Don't worry, the Doc didn't let anyone peek. He seems very distraught about the whole thing."

So THAT'S why Alicia wouldn't let him get out of bed. He turned to her thankfully and mouthed a silent "thank-you." Alicia merely smirked at him.

He returned his attention to Doctor Mendoza, who he could see across the lab area, still cleaning up. He was about to call out to him, when the Doctor clutched his head suddenly, and fell limply to the ground, crunching amidst the broken glass.

"Doc!"

A male's voice rang out as Tim's own vision filled with a head-cracking violet flash. His hands flew to his head and he fell back in the bed. Alicia cried out in panic.

"What the hell? Tim! Tim!!"

The male's voice again.

"Shit... Shitshitshit. He's out cold guys. This is bad! REAL BAD!"

The last words sounded as if they were echoing down a well all the way to Tim's ears. He felt something in his wrist, but it was more of a vague sensation than any actual sense. Seconds later, something pressed against his neck uncomfortably, before withdrawing and releasing a shouted obscenity. He heard something, but he couldn't seem to make out the words... A female voice, and something about a pulse...

Xenophobia
Love the Fear.

The year is 2050, thirty years after the Devastation that brought the world to a screeching halt, dyed the streets with blood, and eventually forced humanity to unite under one banner. The Terran Union, as the countries of Earth are now called, exist in numbered cities scattered all around the world. Well, the habitable parts of the world. Africa, Australia and virtually every island on the planet were rendered near uninhabitable due to the Taint left by the Devastation. All remaining armed forces were disbanded under the Terran Union, ushering in an era of peace and prosperity. Scientists even began to find methods of combating the Taint, allowing humanity to slowly begin retaking the lost lands.

Our story begins in City 997, sometimes called Mega Primus because it is the largest prime-numbered city, sometimes even called New York by those who remember before the Devastation. All around the city, average people are stricken by an invisible force-- Each of them going into severe cardiac arrest at the same moment. Be these people.
Enter the Terran Union.
Love the Fear.

Character Formats:
(For your examination-- Don't actually make a bio yet.)

User Name: A'dur.
Character Name: Keep it realistic. There's not much in the way of Ravek Firestorm in City 997/New York.
Age: It should be less than 35, due to certain plot points.
Appearance: What do they look like? If they usually wear a certain outfit, you can include that. Pictures are cool, but if your going with anime try to stick to the more "realistic" styles. If your picture has gravity-defying hair, I'll probably ask for another. Even if you do have a picture, I'd still like a brief description.
Bio: No books. I'd like some detail, but everyone should have had more or less normal lives so far. Technology hasn't advanced by leaps and bounds in the fourty years between now and then. It's more or less the same, even the culture hasn't changed that much.
Personality: This is where you should put any effort you shave off of your bio. I want characters really fleshed out here, so that between the bio and this, I should feel like I'm at least an acquaintance of your character.
Other: If you really think your character is so special, tell me here.

Last edited by Chainlinc3 on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:01 am; edited 3 times in total
Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Xenophobia~~ Love the Fear Empty Re: Xenophobia~~ Love the Fear

Post by Crazy Hobo Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:03 pm

Well I'm in... again.
Crazy Hobo
Crazy Hobo
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ethereal Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:33 pm

Honestly, I skipped to the box below as you instructed but I promise to do a read-through when I get the chance.

So, with the remaining few seconds I have left before I log off...

I want in!
Ethereal
Ethereal
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by quakernuts Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:37 am

Seems interesting, I'm in
quakernuts
quakernuts
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LittleSun1 Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:57 am

I'm also interested. : )
LittleSun1
LittleSun1
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Chainlinc3 Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:37 pm

Wow! That was a much better reception than I'd anticipated. I'll put up an OOC this evening-ish (5-6 hours), so we can start putting up character sheets. In the meantime, the more the merrier as far as this RP is concerned.

On a side note, there will be several opportunities to kill off characters, so if anyone lurking out there is ambivalent about joining, just try it and you can bail if it doesn't fit you or your schedule. ^_^
Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chainlinc3 Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:12 pm

Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingmaker Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:13 pm

Interested. Will make a sheet later.
Kingmaker
Kingmaker
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Crazy Hobo Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:18 pm

*wonders if Chain will smack him if he uses the same sheet as the other two times...*
Crazy Hobo
Crazy Hobo
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Chainlinc3 Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:17 am

*thinks that is a very good question*
Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Copper.eyes Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:45 pm

Interested for now. ^_^
Copper.eyes
Copper.eyes
Mist
Mist

Female

http://childrenofimmortality.webs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Chainlinc3 Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:16 pm

Umm... This isn't the current interest check. This is from the last iteration, the new one's in casual. But I think that if you're in we'll have enough people to give this a go, so I'll put up an OOC in casual fairly soon.
Chainlinc3
Chainlinc3
Apparition
Apparition

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Copper.eyes Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:58 pm

<_< oops
Copper.eyes
Copper.eyes
Mist