FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hair, makeup, skin care, & more

5 posters

Go down

hair, makeup, skin care, & more Empty hair, makeup, skin care, & more

Post by Gadreille Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:15 pm

Many of us ladies (and perhaps a few gents as well) like to look our best, but sometimes we just don't know where to start. I can't tell you how many times I've gone into the bathroom, spread out the rollers, irons and clips and after a couple hours of torture and humiliation...walk out with a ponytail. Hair is definitely not my forte, but perhaps there are others who can share their tips and tricks of the trade.

Makeup, and skin care (to a degree) are something I do well and feel passionately about. Makeup, to me, is not only a job, since I sell Avon...it has become a ritual. If I don't do my makeup in the morning, I just don't feel awake. I feel better about myself and accentuate the better features of my face with it.

This isn't a thread that says if you are a woman you have to do your hair and makeup. If you don't want to, don't like to, or both, more power to you. However, it is good to keep in mind that it is statistically proven that those who "look better" are more likely to be called in for second interviews in the working world. That doesn't make it right, just true.

Anyway, here are a few starter tips:

1. Less is always more.

Remember those clowns from junior high school? Yes, those were junior high girls learning how to do makeup and failing miserably. Use light foundation, match your skin tone, ease up on the blush, and use colors that complement your skin tone, eye and hair color. If you want to go bold, use light glitter, brighter eye shadow colors, and an eye catching lipstick.

2. They make brushes for a reason.

Using those crappy applicators that come with your blush, eye shadow, etc are almost never worth it. Invest in some brushes, keep them clean, and you will feel like a Gorgeous Geisha when you go out. (Ok, well, I do Smile )

3. Wash your face at night.

Every artist needs a clean canvas, and your face is no exception. Besides, your skin will look a lot better if you keep it clean.

4. Use SPF.

Protect your face! Sunscreen is icky, sticky and smelly, but if you invest in a foundation with SPF in it, you know you will always go protected.

So that is just the beginning, hopefully some of you found it worth while, and feel free to share your thoughts and ideas! I will be posting up some how to's later, but it is easier to respond to specific questions since there are so many different things to talk about!
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

hair, makeup, skin care, & more Empty Re: hair, makeup, skin care, & more

Post by ImmortalSin Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:16 pm

I already follow three of your tips, but hadn't been using brushes as opposed to the applicators (for eyeshadow anyway).

I ordered Sheer Cover at one stage (that mineral foundation from the infomercial, you know?) and sent it back immediately after trying it. The lightest shade was still way too dark for me, and I tried it anyway and it gave me no coverage at all.

So I sent it back (as I said), and all you had to send was the powder itself - which meant I kept all of the bonus stuff which included an overnight bag, brushes, lip gloss and stuff. I had the brushes lying around, and used the skinny one yesterday to apply my eyeshadow with - boy did it make a difference! Even though it felt lighter, it still looked just as dark as it usually does. But the coverage was much more even.

I was always under the impression that you would have less control with a brush, but that's not true.

The only foundation I use is the mineral powder/foundation in the YoungBlood range. When I visited a skincare clinic for this red spot I had on my face they let me try some out. It's wonderful. Expensive, but it lasts for at least 6 months and does a great job. I use a brush to apply that one too.

Anyway, onto my question for you Ryona. You may or may not have any advice for this one, but there's no harm in asking I guess. My pores are larger than they should be. I've heard that using an exfoliating product with micro-beads can enlarge them, is that true?

I use a face wash like that, but I'm not rough or anything. I just gently massage it in slow circular motions, like it said on the box.

And do you know of anything that can help tighten my pores again? The only areas I have trouble with is my cheeks, mainly the area nearest to my nose.

Edit:
I forgot to add something! If anyone else has any tips for me on this, feel free to give them. I'm more than happy to listen. Aww
ImmortalSin
ImmortalSin
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:31 pm

I am glad the brush worked for you! At first I felt the same way...I felt like I had less control. But you are right, there is a considerable difference once you get used to brush vs. mini applicator.

I have never heard of exfoliation in moderation making pores larger ...but perhaps if you only used the exfoliation scrub twice a week it may make a difference. I know that exfoliation masks advise that, and perhaps your skin is over sensitive.

I also know that using a toner is supposed to minimize pores. My friend, who has this issue as well, swears by it. Pick out a specialized pore refining facial lotion, so you have the benefit of a two in one: toner and moisturizer. Some examples are Olay Regenerist Daily Regenerating Serum or Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner Cream. I know my friend uses a special Mary Kay product, which I can ask her about if you are interested.

I have never used the products I named (I use a different toner, Mary Kay) so I can't promise they work. It is just what I have heard of.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:18 pm

I get emails from Glamour Magazine, and I just came across a little gemstone of information. While I've never tried any of these products myself, I really want to try them.

Apparently, this fifteen year old did a bunch of research on make-up products, and she discovered that there are harmful chemicals in pretty much everything. Because there really weren't any products that had absolutely no harmful chemicals within them, she created her own line of non-toxic beauty products.

I'm assuming the whole things is still really new because she doesn't have any make-up products, just skin-care ones, but I thought I'd share.

Ava Anderson Non-Toxic

{EDIT}
I forgot to mention a really great make-up tip for when one wants to do that really cute look with the liquid eyeliner only applied to the lash-line of the upper eyelid. My problem with that look is that the lower lid doesn't get any attention, and it looks a little strange to me.

When I visited Misery this Christmas, I watched Legend of the Seeker, and I noticed the Mord-Sith's all had the same make-up. They did the liquid eyeliner on the top lid, but that wasn't all. They all had faint traces of eyeliner or shadow very close to the lash line on the bottom lid. It only extended from the outter edge to a little ways to maybe the center of the lid. I always thought it was before the center.

This isn't a black line. It's very subtle, and it's lighter than the liquid liner at the top.

I didn't have brown liner which is what I thought they used, so I applied a line of regular liner to the area and smudged it closer to the line with a q-tip. With the same q-tip, I got rid of as much of the black line at the bottom as I could, so it was hardly detectable.

An easier way to do this is if you have an eyeliner brush. You can use that brush to pick up a little shadow to use instead of liner.

The point is that it enhances the shape of the eye while keeping the liquid liner the star. It's really pretty. I don't have pictures of myself using this technique, but I'll try soon.

I can't find any images on Google of a close-up of a Mord-Sith where the make-up technique is obvious. However, I found a few that may give a vague idea...

Here's the overall idea of the make-up done for the Mord-Sith. The problem with this image is that it looks like the added more liner for this shot. It's not a screen shot.

Someone enhanced the colours for this, so the liner looks a lot darker than it should be. However, this gives a good idea of where it is on the bottom.

This kind of shows it, too, with crappy lighting.

Here's a screen shot where you get a better idea of the subtlety of the make-up.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:49 pm

I use a liner that is neither pencil nor liquid. I tend to call it a crayon eye liner but I don't know what it is technically called. It usually is self retractable and somewhat self sharpening, though it never sharpens to its original point. I do believe that is what they use on the Mord-Sith.
To be exact, I use Glimmersticks eye liner. (my bad, that is brow definier but it is technically the same thing, just different shades). I tend to use black but for lighter individuals brown-black or brown would look more appropriate (at least if you are doing the Mord-Sith look).
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:47 pm

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I thought I would revive this old thread.

I recently cut my hair short, and I've heard this from a lot of ladies: "Your face is suited for short hair, I could never pull it off."

But...guess what? When I look at myself in the mirror, I don't necessarily feel like my face is suited for it. So it made me wonder...Are we all (that is, those of us who feel like we aren't suited for short hair) just too self conscious to chop off our hair? And if so, is it because that somewhere in our brains we know that men are attracted to long hair? (Studies have proven that long hair is a sign of healthiness and that it is normal for a man to be unconsciously drawn to long hair).

Or is it that we just judge ourselves more harshly than we do others? Thoughts?

Men: Are you drawn to long hair, or are those studies off their mark? I mean, I've read stories that women are attracted to hairy men since it is a sign of healthiness and I can tell you that is NOT true for me. Hahaha.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Eternity Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:04 am

I can't really afford much beyond powder foundation and some cheaper brands, but I make the best of it.

But I will say, to be as inexpensive as it is, I absolutely love St Ives Apricot Scrub and Cleanser. First off, it smells delicious <3. Second off, I've always had a problem with getting dirt or make-up in my pores that doesn't just wash off with baby oil or water easily. My nose is a problem area for me too XD. The tip of my nose tends to just be dirty, don't know why. But the apricot scrub has tiny little sand-like pieces that scrub off the dirt and whatnot, and always leave my face feeling fresh and clean, and it always cleans any gunk off my face and out of my pores, and it's a visible difference after the first or second time of me using it. And to be less than ten bucks, more or less falling around five (or four, I think), I find it totally worth it.

My favorite cleanser, I've been using it for years <3
Eternity
Eternity
Corporeal Spirit
Corporeal Spirit

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:12 am

I have that same problem with my nose as well.

When I was in school I had like zero time, and sometimes I was so exhausted I didn't want to wash my face. I decided to use a huggies natural care baby wipe to clean my makeup off one night and...I never went back! While I'd say a scrub cleanser is probably the best way to go, a baby wipe (for sensitive skin) does the trick when you are in a pinch. It costs like six bucks for a ton of them, and are especially great on vacation and such.

Someday I'll start using cleanser again haha, I'd like to try this St. Ives brand out, Eternity.
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:33 am

In response to the hair thing, the only thing I've really found is that usually, women with square shaped faces look better with short hair. Obviously, that's not a constant ((just look at our lovely Fate with her long hair)).

Largely, I think it depends on the person. I do not believe that I look good with short hair. I've experienced it, and I prefer to have it long. My lover also likes it long, so there's no real reason for me to cut it.

Having short hair could also be an issue of how well it frames your face. I mean, take two women with the same face shape and give them the same cut. Maybe one woman has straight hair and the other has wavy, and the straight haired woman doesn't work the short hair as well. There are a lot of factors that can go into it.

As for cleaning off make-up... I don't really wear anything other than eye make-up, so that's all I really ever have to remove. I've found that Vaseline is wonderful for that, and it's super cheap. =3

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by The Melancholy Spirit Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:01 am

I for one love long hair. Really long hair, actually. Waist length hair happens to be awesome. There are women who looked great with short hair, though. And, of course, everyone knows I just love long hair in general.

One time when I was with Sven we saw a woman with hair a little past her hips. I leaned over and said "You know, I woudn't mind having my hair that long." He replied with "I was thinking the same thing."

Also, I don't think I look good with short hair, personally. Granted it looks better when it is really short then when it is medium length. The process of waiting a few years to get my hair long means it looks horrible during that time. But, the longer hair definitely looks better in my opinion. And most people who knew me when I had really, really short hair agree. Granted I keep my hair tied back most of the time now but still...
The Melancholy Spirit
The Melancholy Spirit
Ghost
Ghost

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down