FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gladiator RP

4 posters

Go down

Gladiator RP Empty Gladiator RP

Post by Guest Tue Oct 13, 2009 1:54 am

The Tryant of Daramalsh is a powerful man, a warrior of great accomplishments who has conquered many of the city-states around his own and forced them to give tribute to him. His armies are the strongest of those of the nations along the Janad Desert and the Mirisun Sea. The extent of his power is such that his neighbors may as well be his vassals, for all the choice they have under the threat of an invasion from his army. They pay tribute because paying tribute is better than being sacked and looted.

But the people of Daramalsh have expectations of their own. The Tyrant is of low birth, as the nobles often like to remind him, and his power rests in the love of his people and the power of his armies. Without them, he is vulnerable to retribution from political enemies.

The Games are the solution. All manner of things captured and caged at the behest of the Tyrant, including slaves and prisoners taken from those enemies that fought against him, culled from those who dare name him enemy otherwise, criminals or even those that merely refused him a request find themselves in the bowels of the fighting pits, clawing for the next day of life in which they are doomed to entertain a screaming, bloodthirsty mob of low-class urban dwellers intent on their own entertainment.

Grandiosely staged fights are a constant in Daramalsh, and the fighters themselves, should they survive to make a name for themselves, are strangely revered, despite being foes of the city, and often criminals or other scum. There are legends made of those fighters, until the day comes that they die or that they manage to win their way free in some fashion, either by the word of the Tyrant or benevolence of a slave's owner or by feat of arms in a tournament for freedom.

Such cases are rare, but their stories are what electrifies the urbanites and gives something for them to look forward to at the end of their days of toil, and gives the Tyrant much forgiveness for any excesses.

As Daramalsh, the city of gold, becomes more jaded with the spectacle, the spectacle becomes more sadistic, more violent and more brutal. And with it come the louder cheers and a matching increase in violent and brutal behavior among the stands as partisans of various fighters fight drunken brawls over disagreements.

As the toll of flesh mounts, more and more are fed to the pits for even less reason than before -- as prisoners of foreign wars run out, increasingly petty criminals are condemned, and slaves are sent to the pits for minor offenses, or sometimes none as the 'schools' pay increasingly more money to keep up with the demand. The city is in a state of unrest, and few questions are being asked...

---

Yeah, so I figure the characters will be the gladiators. There is a plot in all this, but I don't want to reveal too much too soon.

I'm toying with the idea of rolling to see what sort of initial equipment (or loot from the fights) is provided and so forth, and maybe working up a market-list of items in the OOC for players to select from, though I intend to limit this as the characters are functionally slaves and are depending on the benevolence of a master...

I've got a lot of this in my head, but the basic character would be any sort of person that took a wrong turn, got into debt, is a criminal or lost a war (or turned down someone for sex) and so forth.

(Since we're apparently telling people the expectations for 'quality' I'll just keep it simple: This is about fun and is a hobby, so odds are if you're worried about quality, you're probably worrying too much for one of my RP's.

So yeah.

Quality Expectations: Doesn't give a f Devil ck.)

Back to top Go down

Gladiator RP Empty Re: Gladiator RP

Post by Edon Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:57 am

Love it.

Sounds like exactly my kind of RP. I'm all for it.
Edon
Edon
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:40 am

Edon wrote:Love it.

Sounds like exactly my kind of RP. I'm all for it.

Cool beans. We'll just wait and see what goes up. Once I have enough people for an OOC, I'll work on random tables and stuff. I sort of envision an arena full of monsters as well as people, since dangerous monsters makes it all the more entertaining.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:47 pm

This looks interesting. I would like to know though if we have to play as pure humans or if there are other options?

Back to top Go down

Post by Edon Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:38 pm

As long as I get a trident.. I'm good to go. x]
Edon
Edon
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mustakrakish Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:08 pm

Looks interesting. Im in as well.
Mustakrakish
Mustakrakish
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:10 pm

Cool beans, and yes, other races will be allowed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Edon Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:26 pm

As far as other races go, are we talking elves, ect.. or like Arabian, African, ect?
Edon
Edon
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:16 am

Multiple races as in species, yeah.

Back to top Go down

Post by Edon Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:03 pm

Im really looking forward to this.
Edon
Edon
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferrous Miles Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:12 pm

Yo... Dude... Is it okay if I join? I won't ditch you this time, I promise!
Ferrous Miles
Ferrous Miles
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:42 am

This is an interesting idea. Not sure where things would begin, flow to the middle of the story, and then finally come to an end but I'm sure we can figure that out in due time.

My main question is, because I'm assuming the tyrant has conquered other nations and lands, could I be a barbarian or something?

I've always wanted to play a barbarian-like character and it fits in a fantasy or roman-like setting. Also, if I can join I would love to make portraits for everyone. I need to practice some more photoshop work anyways and it would be nice to roll a barbarian war prisoner.

I just wanted to ask if my possible character idea would be acceptable and if the offer of making character portraits is accepted as well. The rate in which some of my other RPs are going makes it very possible for me to take on a forth role-play. So I should be quiet fine in keeping up with your RP when/if it moves in full swing for applicants.

Just let me know please..

Back to top Go down

Post by Edon Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:39 am

Tkwiget wrote:This is an interesting idea. Not sure where things would begin, flow to the middle of the story, and then finally come to an end but I'm sure we can figure that out in due time.

My main question is, because I'm assuming the tyrant has conquered other nations and lands, could I be a barbarian or something?

I've always wanted to play a barbarian-like character and it fits in a fantasy or roman-like setting. Also, if I can join I would love to make portraits for everyone. I need to practice some more photoshop work anyways and it would be nice to roll a barbarian war prisoner.

I just wanted to ask if my possible character idea would be acceptable and if the offer of making character portraits is accepted as well. The rate in which some of my other RPs are going makes it very possible for me to take on a forth role-play. So I should be quiet fine in keeping up with your RP when/if it moves in full swing for applicants.

Just let me know please..

That would be awesome Very Happy
Edon
Edon
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:03 am

Ferrous: No harm done, yeah, no problem if you want to join in.

Tkwiget: Yeah, foreign captives are very doable since the Tyrant has conquered his share of lands and there are 'hunters' that pick off travelers as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:24 am

So what kind of inhuman races can be used for characters?

And can we get a general CS idea so we can start planning them out?

This still looks really fun and I am looking forward to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 am

I already know the kind of barbarian I would make! Gives me a really good reason to make his portrait too!

This sounds like a world where magic doesn't exist. That would be kind of cool if science was the replacement of magic. Explosive jars of gun powder-like substances or powerful poisons, acids, etc. Would make for a far more interesting world than your typical fantasy story.

Just pitching ideas out there!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:13 am

I would rather have magic personally.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 11:21 am

Okay, so I have a few questions to answer:

Races

I would prefer that character races be well thought out and fit the character, and not merely be decoration or cliched. I suppose what I am grasping at is that one should give thought to how differently such a character should think rather than just play the superficial/appearance oriented aspects.

I'm not trying to sound condescending here, I'm just giving the obligatory caveat before saying, "up to you to figure out which races."

Let's try not to do anything spectacular or overpowered. Grotesque and bestial is fine. Wielding magic as easily as it takes a pee in the sand, not fine. And please use some depth. Wink

Magic and Technology

Low-magic, low-tech. Neither is the emphasis. I prefer to work without guys riding on dragons and throwing fireballs hither and yon. A sorcerer should be the object of mystery and fear, the unknowable that casts a pall over all others who might otherwise think themselves bold.

Yes, there will be a sorcerer involved here, perhaps as the Tyrant.

As to technology, there will be a certain degree in the limits of it, in that I am not going to go steampunk, and there will not be manufacturing of it, as much as crafting. That keeps it from being the dominant influence in a society that is fueled by slave labor more than anything.

The OOC

Coming soon. I'm a little slow this week, because I'm buried. It'll be there soon, perhaps tonight.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:04 pm

Okay, I've been RPing for a solid 8 years and still don't know what steampunk is. Mind shedding some light on that?

I think my barbarian idea works perfectly for this. All I have to do is shell out a background for him and complete his portrait. cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:44 am

I haven't abandoned this idea, I'm just getting back on my horse after a couple weeks off and I'm going to set things up soon. Hopefully today, since I have breathing room and an urge to write.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:01 pm

Yay!!

Question: How are you going to let us submit our profiles?

Wonder about this cause it would be nice to be able to edit my profile whenever I feel like it. I haven't made my character yet, other than building his personality, physical appearance, his behavior, etc. I just want to know how profiles will be accepted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:01 pm

I'm honestly not sure how the profiles will be 'built' except that I tend to use a pretty standard format and let you guys post them in the forums. We'll get there when we get there. I'm trying to clear out two RP posts (that I hope to get finished today-tonight) and then I'll see what will be done about this and another RP.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:57 pm

Sounds good!! I'm excited to play my barbarian character!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kalaam Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:05 pm

I am thinking about an elf character. I like being able to use speed and brains to overcome strength, and he would be as arrogant as god, despite the fact the elves can't do anything about the Tyrant. Maybe, they were conquered, maybe it isn't worth it. Some experience, but still young for an elf, around forty or so. Just enough to remember what life was like before hand. Captured during a punitive raid or something along those lines.

That work?

Kalaam
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:37 pm

Wait, did I miss something? Elves are allowed in this? I thought everyone was primarily going to be some kind of race of human. I didn't think completely different species would be allowed.

I also have a question though Hey, we aren't going to be thrown up against one another are we? Cause I think that would make for a rather short story. XD

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:42 pm

He said other races that are reasonable are allowed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:46 pm

I guess I did miss something or rather I forgot!

This opens a few character idea up for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ferrous Miles Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:18 pm

I'm still 'ere, I think. I'm experimentin' with other, new sites, so you won't see me around here till this thread starts, but I'll be checkin'.
Ferrous Miles
Ferrous Miles
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:19 pm

I would just like to know how long I have to wait until I can enjoy this story of his. @_@

I'm sick of waiting!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum