FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

District 10

3 posters

Go down

District 10 Empty District 10

Post by Guest Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:03 pm

Well, it is about time I made this. Ryona and I have been talking about it for a while now.

A few things to get out of the way before I get into it:

1. It is not required that you have seen the movie, as I will attempt to describe the situation as best as possible. I would, however, ask that if you wish to play a prawn character that you have seen the movie. Otherwise, I would stick to being a human.

2. This is in the advanced board not because I expect super long posts and novel-like writing, but because I'm looking for good character development and interaction. One of the most striking things about the movie were the two main characters, Christopher Johnson and Wikus van der Merwe. Their evolution and interaction throughout the movie were amazing, and I would like to duplicate that to a certain degree here, as I think it was essentially the heart of the movie.

3. My theories on the technological level of the prawns may be different from other people's theories. So I will post what I think their current level is, and you are encouraged to argue or support those theories. Not a whole lot is really explained in that area from the movie, so we kind of have to make it up ourselves.

4. The main characters from the movie will not be playable for this story, though they can be mentioned, and may be mentioned throughout this story, depending on where it goes. That being said, anything else is a possibility!

District 10 ~ Theories

These theories are my own, based on what I have seen from the three or four times I watched the movie.
First of all: who are they? By the technology being displayed on the screen in the command craft (the menus the prawn cycles through until finding his planet) it is quite apparent that these aliens, the prawns, are from a different galaxy entirely. From the looks of the galaxy he zooms in on, it is a cluster, rather than a disk-shaped galaxy. Clusters have previously been thought to be inhospitable to life, or even planet formation, because of the harsh environment of the relatively close stars. Recent discoveries have kind of changed this, but this is a sci-fi movie anyway. So, aliens from a star cluster, a different galaxy from our own. In order to travel those distances would require extremely advanced technology (perhaps more advanced than what we see in the movie, I don't know).

The weaponry itself: The prawns obviously have the ability to turn other species into their own. Christopher Johnson knows what is happening to Wickus van der Merwe. And there is the fact that only prawn DNA can successfully operate alien technology. So this hints at the control, perhaps complete dominance, that prawns have over other species. They have a technological advancement over other species that no other species can take advantage of (unless, of course, they are infused with prawn DNA). So, are the prawns good, evil, or perhaps something in between?

What happens next?: Because of their obvious technological power and theoretical view concerning other species throughout the universe (that they can control them in some form), the prawns return to planet Earth may or may not bode well for the human species. Perhaps they will return with a vengeance. Perhaps they will return and only forcefully take the rest of the prawns and then leave humanity to its own devices. Or maybe the prawns will do what they have perhaps done with other species throughout the universe, which is, of course, unknown except for the fact that they do have the ability to control them. Will they make us a part of their society, a civilization that spans the stars? Or will they make us slaves? Who knows...

I also think the mech thing they have is awesome, how it drills into the brain somehow and the controler uses neural commands rather than physical controls. And he seems to feel, personally, the damage being done to the mech itself. Pretty neat.

District 10 ~ Setting

This goes without saying, but this is what I would imagine the follow up story most likely being like:

District 10 has been successfully established. With the disappearance of the Mothership over the city of Johannesburg, South Africa, the threat of the aliens has somewhat diminished in the minds of the population. While the aliens, the prawns, have not been forgotten, they are no longer a primary concern.

Not everyone believes that this is the last they will see of these aliens. Multinational United (MNU), a private military contractor, continues to make advancements toward the eventual use of alien weaponry both in anticipation of the return of the aliens as well as for the purpose of making them widely available for human buyers.

Three years after the disappearance of the alien mothership, the aliens have indeed returned. At first it was a single ship, stopping directly over the newly established District 10, 240 kilometers northwest of Johannesburg. When the MNU responded to its presence with military force, several other ships appeared, within the vicinity of the first ship as well as over major cities across the globe. The prawn had come to rescue those that had been left behind, and they had not come unprepared.

Knowledgeable of the volatile nature of humans after the escape of Christopher Johnson, the prawn came ready to fight back against them if necessary. Intentionally provoking that response from them in order to test out their new weaponry, the MNU begins the first inter-species war in human history.

District 10 ~ Plot

This story will being in Johannesburg, South Africa. That is where the concentration of prawn are, and where the ever-growing population of prawn are from the abandoned District 9 are as well. I'm not sure what the plot will really be about, however. I do need some help with that from anyone interested in joining (or just interested in helping out). I mean, it could be about anything: from helping the prawn to escape to helping the MNU fight against the prawn. I really don't know. I will have to think on that. And as for that actual starting point...I'm not sure yet. I will get back to you with some ideas, and feel free to leave some ideas here.

District 10 ~ Characters

Characters can be anything. Prawn (having seen the movie is required) to MNU to a random citizen from anywhere in the world. And, if you have followed my theories and agree with them, you could possibly be an alien entirely different from the prawn, but following them either as slaves or willing companions (depending on your point of view of the prawns disposition toward other species).

Back to top Go down

District 10 Empty Re: District 10

Post by Teph Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:26 pm

YES. Didn't even read anything yet. But yes.

... Now let me read.

Okay.

Love love love. Can’t even describe how excited I am to see this. I’ve seen District 9 four times now and each time I just fall in love again and again.

So. I agree with you on the prawn being from a different galaxy, makes sense to me in every way. The prawn and their weapons. I think it’s not just about having the DNA of the prawn itself, but the machine interacting with a live specimen. It never really touches upon it in the movie, but if it were as easy as taking a prawn arm-glove to use the guns it would have been done, right? The prawn themselves are kind of like bees to a queen, I think. Again, really lightly touched upon but in my theories the prawn ship that landed over Johannesburg in the first place was filled with ‘workers’ that probably lost their ‘queens’, and that’s why they didn’t know what to do in the first place. (Remember they were in the ship for almost three months without food or anything, the military had to break it open to get to them in the first place. They most likely would have died there had it not been opened.) I’d like to think that the actual prawn, the ‘workers’ that we see are changed species that have to follow and fall under the control of the ‘queens’. Christopher could have been one those few more intelligent, probably with a higher rank than the others. I don’t know if you agree, but it’s one of my own theories.

As for plot… I’m not sure completely, and like you said there’s a hundred-and-one directions we could go. I toy with the idea of prawn coming down and initially taking control and turning humans in the cities they have inhabited… but maybe the change didn’t give full control and humans keep their humanity. (Like Wikus still having the thought enough to give his wife flowers, knowing who she was and probably still having the memories of her and his life as a human.) So maybe it’s the prawn still trying to turn humans, but the prawn-humans trying to protect the humans not yet changed? Maybe the prawns are using humans as slaves for their own uses, giving the prawn with humanity the cover to protect them? … I don’t know if that made sense entirely…

Something about cat food…

There has to be some kind of reasoning behind it. X

Last edited by Teph on Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Teph
Teph
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:55 pm

I like your ideas, but I don't have ample time to get into it at the moment. I will type something up later when I have some time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Well, It's needless to say I'll be joining this. I would like to play a prawn, but maybe play both. As for ideas, I don't really have any atm...I think I will leave it up to you two to flesh the story out, and go along with it Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:10 pm

I would really like to have more people for this, before I start it. If I can't get at the very least four, I may not go with it. You can have the idea, Teph, if you want it. I probably shouldn't throw myself in any more role-play's anyway, what with school and my books and all.

Back to top Go down

Post by Regicidal Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:23 pm

Oh. Yes. I've seen the movie twice now, and I would love to play a prawn. Though, while I do think that the Prawn from the ship were 'workers' I don't necessarily think that they are mindless drones under the control of a Queen or leader when the leader is present. I think that idea may just be bred from their body-association with insects in general. Because to me it seemed that they had very distinct personalities between them, but that they were just lost on a strange planet in which they didn't know how to act.

As for humans working with Prawn weapons. It was apparent to me that it was based on a DNA factor. Something about Prawn DNA being the only thing able to activate. It was clear that Wikus was infused with Prawn DNA by the end of the movie (going full Prawn by the end of the film, of course.)

As for the plot. I would see the Prawn coming back to rescue their lost, but in finding the hostile nature of the humans, they decide that the lot of them need to be dealt with accordingly. After all, wouldn't you be pissed at the species that put your people into concentration camps? I know I would. So I figure the MNU would be fighting to get the Prawns out, and the Prawns would be making an active attempt at destroying the MNU in retaliation for the treatment of the Prawns.

-Edited for names, Wikus was changed, not Christopher, seeing as Chris was already Prawn.-

Last edited by Regicidal on Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Regicidal
Regicidal
Shadow
Shadow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:43 am

I'm not sure when I'm going to get this started. Again, if anyone wants to take control of this, feel free. It is yours. Otherwise, I will get an OOC up whenever I can.

Also, I wanted to say I agree with Regicidal on the issue of the Prawn's society. I think they are more individualistic and each of them do have their own personalities. Look at Christopher Johnson's son. Without the Queen or whatever present, despite Johnson's own ability to function, his son would obviously carry on the genetics that require him to follow and obey a queen prawn. But his son is fine, individual in his own way.

But, as we don't know anything solid, I don't want to slam anyone's theories. Except, of course, if you theorize that the aliens are just humans in costumes. Then I shall shoot you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum