FOG: Footsteps of Ghosts
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So sue me - The Twilight Saga.

+7
Weiss
Silvan Arrow
Kaito
LunarScorpio
Gadreille
Ragter the junior greeter
Sighlent
11 posters

Go down

So sue me - The Twilight Saga. Empty So sue me - The Twilight Saga.

Post by Sighlent Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:46 am

So, despite of all of the negative remarks circulating to series, I do in fact have a strong appeal towards Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga. I mean, I was one of the first people who frantically awaited the second book as it came out and to see what it has become is in fact unfortunate, but I alone cannot prevent the millions who've practically turned it into a cult, from being so...fanatic.

Anyway...I decided to make this board for everyone who actually LIKES the books. If you don't like it. Don't post, and anything otherwise insulting will be deleted. Kapeche?

Right so as for 'New Moon' the movie just thought I would share this with those interested:

New Moon Trailer # 3.
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

http://jennibou.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

So sue me - The Twilight Saga. Empty Re: So sue me - The Twilight Saga.

Post by Ragter the junior greeter Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:23 am

To be honest...I don't hate the books, but I don't like them either. Think of me as more of a...neutral, person in this. Like most others...I can't help but dis-like the fact that instead of dying when in sunlight, vampires glow. That just seems pretty...stupid to me, and not too thought out. Other then that, it all seems fine. 'course, I haven't read all the books( I believe there's a 4th one out, right?), I've only read up to Eclipse. As for the movie that's out right now...I'll admit, I don't like it too much.

Just my two little cents worth.
Ghost
Ghost

Male

http://www.google.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Gadreille Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:24 pm

I read the books, and I enjoyed the first and third.
What I find very fascinating about the movies is how well they captured the essence of the books. Whether or not I fully enjoyed them, it is truly rare to see a movie that doesn't completely butcher the book it came from.
I also associated myself with Bella a lot in the first book. She and I are very similar in some ways Smile
Gadreille
Gadreille
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by LunarScorpio Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:15 am

I’m like you, Sighlent, I got into Twilight when the first and second book were just around. Then all of a sudden it exploded and everyone was reading them. I was so disappointed when it became more popular and little girls started making it all about how hot Edward was or how badly they wanted to marry him. I really enjoy the series, but it’s almost embarrassing to admit that I’m among the fans because of some of the stupid things that come out of some people’s mouths.

Either way, I actually enjoyed the movie and I’m looking forward to the next one. They’re doing a pretty good job with going from book to movie so far. I hope they keep it up! I would hate to see them ruin it.
LunarScorpio
LunarScorpio
Shadow
Shadow

Female

http://felsphotos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kaito Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:32 am

I SUE YOU. I DO. GO CRY.
Kaito
Kaito
Spectral Light
Spectral Light

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Silvan Arrow Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:37 pm

I also really enjoy the Twilight books. I must admit, I got into them after all four were out and everyone was reading them (one of my high school friends recommended them). I read all four in less than a week, got my mom hooked on them, and really enjoyed the movie. As far as movie adaptations of books go, I think they did a pretty good job with Twilight. They could have done some things better with the plot, but the acting was very good for the most part. However, I also don't like how insanely fanatic some of the fans act, especially all these little teen and tween girls who obsess over Edward Cullen. Even some grown women and mothers act ridiculous.

But the sometimes rabid, insane fans are my only real complaint about the series. I enjoyed the books, I enjoyed the first movie, and I'm really looking forward to the second movie in November.
Silvan Arrow
Silvan Arrow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:51 pm

Hmm...

I guess I'll take my stance with Ragter. I never read the books, but I saw the first movie. I've read enough reviews about the books to get the jist of things. The plot was nothing really new under the sun, that's for sure. But I'm not against it.

I can't call myself a fan either; as I already stated, I never read any of the series; just saw the movie. The acting was average; and effects were typical for a modern day film. But I'll still give it a thumbs up.

Though the story is nothing too new, it did grasp my attention somewhat and I ended up enjoying it. However, the fanatics and die-hards can really kill off that spirit fast, so I somewhat understand those of you that enjoyed it to the point of acknowledging the fine line between approval and worship.

I SUE YOU. I DO. GO CRY.

And I'm countering the suit for $10,000 on the grounds of defamation (cause its a fancy word) and spam (cause its true). Now...you go cry. xD

Back to top Go down

Post by Weiss Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:55 pm

I enjoyed the book series, though I actually found the movie pretty disappointing. I guess it's natural, because the movies naturally can't hope to contain as much as the books can cram in with 400 or so pages at their disposal, but sometimes I just feel like they wasted too much time on the wrong scenes, and could have done a better job of managing their time.

Alas, I do enjoy the series and Meyer's take on vampires. I don't know if it's original, because as much as I love vampires, werewolves, etc., I'm very selective about the things I read, and Twilight is the first series of books I've read in a long time, much less about vampires and their wolfy counter-element.

The biggest disappointment for me in the transition from book to movie? Honestly, I don't think they did a good enough job of choosing actors to play the parts of Alice and Rosalie. Hell, I wasn't particularly fond of any of the Cullens except for Carlisle, who I feel they chose the perfect guy for. Rosalie was supposed to be the epitome of beauty, but she wasn't even as attractive as Bella. Alice, who was supposed to be petite and high-spirited just didn't seem to-character, in my opinion.

Anyway, enough about that. I do think they chose very well for the bad guys. All three of them looked very much up to par for their characters. I don't think they gave James the oomph he deserved, but again, time constraints; and since the story focused more on the romantic element, they only had so much room for the action segments.

All in all, on a scale of 1-10 for how well they transitioned from novel to movie, I'd give it a 7. They stuck to the story, focused more on providing the essence of the novels than spamming your brain with flashy effects, and despite my misgivings over some of the actors chosen, the cast did a pretty good job of pulling off their roles.

I'm looking forward to the second movie and hoping they make it longer so we don't miss out on any of the awesome werewolfy action. My biggest fear is that they'll focus too much on the vampire side of things and leave out the interesting plot devices that come and go in the werewolf circle.

TL;DR - I'm a fan.
Weiss
Weiss
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:13 am

Sorry I haven't been on you guys to reply to all of this, but I'm very glad to see that I'm not the only one. My take is that I love the books. I don't know if it's just the style that she writes in or what, but everything flows so smoothly together that it's very attractive and not at all boring for me to read - I easily find myself when reading books to skip all the main line crap and just read the vocal portions. In other words I just read the conversations from character to character. Most of the time I just find everything else to boring, however the details in the Twilight Saga were spectacular. I hate how people just criticize saying she's a shitty writer, when in fact she's not.

To further prove it, if you haven't gotten around to reading her book called 'The Host' I highly recommend it. It's unusual to say the least, but very likable.

As for the translation from book to movies, the first movie was rather...stiff to me. Like the characters, particularly Edward, just seemed not entirely themselves. I'm afraid I'll have to disagree with Weiss on the people they chose to portray them however. I agree with you on Rosalie, but with Alice I think they got it spot on. She just seems so delicate and airy. I can't really complain about everyone else so I won't.

I'm really looking forward to 'New Moon' in November though! Like super excited! Just because so far they seem to be sticking to the book. A very good thing!
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:58 am

Hrm... My friend, Laura, recommended the books to me. She said she'd read a couple of them, and they weren't bad. Other people kept telling me how awesome they were, so I decided to give them a read.

The first things I noticed were the grammatical errors in her writing. I'm a grammar buff, so when I read something, my brain always stops what I'm reading to point to whatever error has been made. This even happens in books I love, so it's nothing new. It's just easier to ignore in books I absolutely love.

Anyway, I thought the first book was nothing special, but I decided to read all four- yes, they were all out at the time that I started- to figure out if I really liked them or not. The first book left me on the fence. I couldn't admit I liked it, but I couldn't admit I hated it. I didn't know how I felt about it. Also, the fact that they were some of the fastest reads I've encountered helped me to decide.

In fact, I had no idea how I felt about the books until I read the fourth one. That sprang me over the fence onto the side of actually enjoying them. The fourth one is the one that decided it for me. I think I really hated all that mushy mushy crap that was all soft and pre-teen-like that the first three books contained. The fourth one really seemed to get to the raw, nitty-gritty, and I appreciated that. I am also not a fan of love triangles, so the fact that that was obliterated and resolved was nice.

In all honesty, I don't think the books are all that great. I liked them enough to read them once. I liked them enough that I'm going to see all the movies despite my loathing the first one for the craptastic acting. I also didn't like the way the movie was shot or the pieces they decided to take out of the book that really weren't important. Hopefully, the next three will be better since they have a new director. Hopefully the actors will be more... lively and less drab. Maybe they'll have learned a few things about actually acting, too. Who knows.

Anyway, yeah. Like Ryona, I do relate to Bella a bit, but mostly just where the whole gift receiving thing is concerned. I guess the low self-image comes along with that, too.

I could have done with real vampires and not the glittering softies Meyer created, but meh. I read the books once. I'll see the movies. No biggy.

Oh, by the way, I don't know if they decided not to do this or not, but I heard for New Moon, whenever she hears Edward in her head, he's also going to be visualized. I don't like that, but the movie's already been filmed and such, so we'll just wait and see unless you guys heard differently.

Oh, do you think Jackson Rathbone will do any real acting in this next movie- you know, rather than just stand there looking serious? I really want to assess him since he's going to be in the live-action movie-version of my favorite animated series.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Xasthom Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:14 am

I have to admit, I jumped on the Twilight bandwagon long after everybody else, but I'm glad I did. While I might not quite be a complete fanatic about the series, I do have to say:

Team Jacob FTW!
Xasthom
Xasthom
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Inerio Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Twilight, to me, is a literary Twinkie. It's light and fluffy, you'll eat a whole lot of them, but they aren't really filling.

Twilight is okay. It basically feeds into the wants of females to be "average" yet find some amazing man who will take care of them forever and ever. It's essentially wish fulfillment in book form, a five dollar paper back romance novel without the sex. If I said that I completely hated it I'd be lying. Likewise, I'm not in love with it. Twilight, for me, is just something to pick up when there isn't anything else around.

That being said, I like Meyer's werewolves better. They don't completely screw up the mythology for me. Especially since she said the Lost Boys and Interview with a Vampire were "creepy" and "yucky" and she didn't even watch either. Jacob, in my opinion, is better than Edward. Primarily because he shows more personality and isn't just a pretty rock. I almost hope Meyer explores that area more since she's voiced many times that she isn't "into" the whole vampire thing.
Inerio
Inerio
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:14 pm

I haven't heard that about New Moon, Kathryn and I can understand it. After all if I'm not mistaken she does actually see him briefly when she jumps off the cliff. In the water. She mistakes Jacob for him. Smile

I just re-read them...so yeah.
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:36 pm

I agree with Inerio all most accounts, especially where the wolves are concerned though there is one thing I don't understand about the "change." Why the hell doesn't it hurt them to have their whole bodies rearranged and enlarged? Huh? Yeah. That's just always how I've viewed the change, but I don't know of anyone who ever made it hurt... Maybe in Underworld... but I can't remember. It's been too long.

Also, in the books, she only hears his voice. If she sees him when she hops off the cliff, then that's the only time she does((I don't remember)). I heard, in the movie, she's going to see a vision of him every time she's supposed to hear his voice when she puts herself into danger- not just when she hops off the cliff. I don't like that because he's not supposed to be there. The whole point was that she only got this little sliver of him- his voice. . You know? Oh well.

Oh! You know what's hilarious? My friend, Laura, told me that the director of Twilight asked them to double the amount of money she would get for making the other movies, and when they told her they wouldn't do that, she quit, and they gave the new director the money the first director had requested. I just found that really funny. Hopefully that money will be put to good use.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Xasthom Sat Aug 29, 2009 1:26 am

Although, if you imagine any scene where she hears Edward's voice - a straight voiceover is going to sound cheesy to put it lightly. Unless they did something funky with it, I can see myself cringing every time it happened. I do agree too however, that having a visual appearance of Edward is NOT a good idea.

They might be doing it to get Edward on-screen a bit more. After all it's not really until the end that he comes back into it properly.
Xasthom
Xasthom
Mist
Mist

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sighlent Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:57 pm

"I saw him, and had no will to fight. It was so clear, so much more defined than any memory. My subconscious had stored Edward away in flawless detail, saving him for this final moment. I could see his face as if he were really there; the exact shade of his icy skin, the shape of his lips, the line of his jaw, the gold glinting in his furious eyes. He was angry, naturally, that I was giving up. His teeth were clenched and his nostrils flared with rage."

-New Moon, Pg. 361

Ok so back to anyone wanting to argue as to whether or not she sees him. What gets me is people complain when movies don't follow true to the books and when they do, people still complain.

>_<
Sighlent
Sighlent
Ghost
Ghost

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathryn Lacey Sat Aug 29, 2009 3:30 pm

I wasn't arguing that she didn't see him. I was arguing that she only saw him when she hopped off the cliff. She didn't see him any other time when she was putting herself in danger.

With the technology we have today, I'm sure they could do better than just a straight voice-over, honestly. I'm sure they could make it sound good. However, the wholeTwilight movie was cheesy to me, but it was directed by someone else. This new one has the potential to be better due to the new director they hired.

Kathryn Lacey
★ Administrator ★
★ Administrator ★

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sienna Storm Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:35 am

When I first read Twilight, I enjoyed it. It was cute story, yes. I did not enjoy the second story nearly as much, and the third made me not read the fourth. Don't get me wrong, like I said, I thought it was a cute series. Yet I have reached a point where I can not hear the words Twilight, being used as the book title, and not roll my eyes. This is mostly because of the fans I have met. In my area, the people who are now head over heels in love with the book are some of the same people who used to tease me for reading such "large" novels. Now they stand before me and argue it is the best book in the world when, sadly, I believe it is the only book in the world they've read.

I have not seen the movie, sorry.

Sienna Storm
Mist
Mist

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down